3 From Hell is a horror film directed by Rob Zombie. It's the third film in the film series that started with House of 1000 Corpses and continued with The Devil's Rejects. It is the final film starring Sid Haig to be released during his lifetime, as he passed away a couple of days after the film's limited theatrical release in September 2019.
The film picks up from the climax of Rejects and reveals that the Firefly Family survived the shootout and are taken to prison; there they escape and cause more murder and mayhem.
Has a character sheet.
This movie contains examples of:
- Back from the Dead: The trailer shows that the Firefly Family survived the police shootout despite a million to one odds.
- Big Bad: Aquarius, the leader of the Black Satans.
- Bring My Brown Pants: Mr. Baggy Britches wets himself after Otis points a gun at him.
- Bullying the Dragon: Two inmates try to kill Baby. She disembowels them.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: Occurs when Otis encounters Rondo.Otis: I remember you.Rondo: I don't remember you.Otis: You will, motherfucker.
- The Cameo: Clint Howard appears as Mr. Baggy Britches, a clown.
- Comically Missing the Point: Sebastian tries to warn Otis about the Black Satans with "Satan is coming for him". Otis simply responds perplexedly, "I am fucking Satan!"
- Continuity Nod: Dr. Wolfenstein's Creature Feature Show, the public access Horror Host show featured in House of 1000 Corpses, appears on a television.
- Demoted to Extra: Captain Spaulding is given a briefer role due to Sid Haig's health issues at the time of filming.
- Draco in Leather Pants: An In-Universe example. In the news cast segments during the opening of the film, it cuts to random people who believe that the Firefly family are innocent, that theyre a product of a flawed and corrupt system and believe that they deserved to be free. This is in-spite of the fact that they have tortured and murdered random people for their own sick, twisted pleasure.
- Driven to Madness: Baby is even more crazy than usual after her stint in prison to the point that even Otis is concerned.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Captain Spaulding is executed offscreen.
- Girls Behind Bars: Baby for the first act of the film.
- Evil vs. Evil: The Firefly Family come into conflict with the Black Satans, a gang of criminals/murderers in Luchador masks.
- Facial Horror: Otis cuts a woman's face off.
- It's Always Mardi Gras in New Orleans: Día de Los Muertos is apparently being celebrated in Mexico when Otis and Baby arrive.Otis: Now we can have a real Day of the Dead.
- Kick the Dog: Foxy inspects a vase looking for valuables. Judy tells him it's her mother's ashes and begs him to put it back. Foxy responds by sticking his fingers inside and flicking some of the ashes at her.
- Long-Lost Relative: Foxy is introduced as the half-brother of Otis and Baby.
- Made of Iron: With the number of bullets that Spaulding, Baby, and Otis received it's a miracle they didn't suffer any permanent injuries.
- Machete Mayhem: A weapon of choice of some of the Black Satans. Otis has a machete fight with one of the members.
- Man on Fire: The fate of Aquarius.
- Masked Luchador: The Black Satans wear luchador masks.
- Musical Nod: Rob Zombie picked a Slim Whitman song as a callback to a scene where a Whitman song was used in House of 1000 Corpses.
- No, You: This exchange:Otis: Do you remember the first words you ever spoke to me, Virg?
Otis: No? The big man doesn't remember? You said, "This is my death factory and you are the product." Well, guess what, motherfucker? This is my death factory and you are the product.
- Perilous Play: An unfortunate party clown, Mr. Baggy Britches, enters the wrong house and is taken captive by Otis and Foxy. Otis tells him he'll let him go if he can make them laugh. Britches fails to make Otis laugh with his normal routine but succeeds when he wets himself after Otis pulls his gun on him. When Britches asks if this is enough to earn his freedom, Otis tells him he can go... "straight to Clown Heaven" before shooting him in the head.
- Pet the Dog:
- Baby is kind to Sebastian, a dwarf who reminds her of Tiny.
- Surprisingly, Otis of all people gets a moment like this, similar to Captain Spaulding in the climax of the previous movie. He tries to take the blame for one of Baby's murders while Baby insists it's hers as Rondo is torturing the family.
- Rape Discretion Shot: Otis sexually threatens one of his victims. When we next see her she's naked and bruised.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: The character of Foxy was introduced as a result of Rob Zombie not being able to utilize Spaulding for the entire duration of the film.
- Remember the New Guy?: Foxy is introduced as the half-brother of Otis and Baby but rather than being treated as a Long-Lost Relative both siblings are familiar with him.
- Run for the Border: Otis, Baby and Foxy flee to Mexico.
- Sibling Rivalry: Otis and Foxy spar over who is the more notorious criminal.
- South of the Border: The second act of the film takes place here.
- Sudden Sequel Death Syndrome: Both Spaulding and Rondo only appear for one scene each before dying.
- Sixth Ranger: Foxy Coltrane, who joins Otis and Baby on their murderous rampage.
- The Straight and Arrow Path: Baby is uses a bow and arrow to fight off some of the Black Satans.
- Take Me Instead: Otis attempts to do this to save Baby from the Black Satans.
- Trailers Always Spoil: Among other things, the trailer shows one of the final shots of the film of Otis, Baby and Foxy watching Aquarius burn and walking away.
- Villain Protagonist: Much like Rejects, the Firefly family are the clear protagonists of the film.
- You Killed My Father: Aquarius is the son of Rondo, who Otis killed earlier.