The Silence of the Hams is a 1994 spoof movie of the Rapid-Fire Comedy type. It combines and spoofs the plots of The Silence of the Lambs (FBI Agent consults with a convicted killer) and Psycho (woman steals money from her employer before being murdered by an insane motel manager).
This film provides examples of:
- Consulting a Convicted Killer: Parodied when FBI Agent Jo Dee Fostar consults with Dr. Animal Cannibal Pizza. The doctor is so insane that he sometimes violates the laws of physics.
- Everybody Lives: At the end every character who was killed during the movie turns out to be alive because of a Latex Perfection disguise.
- Evil Chef: Dr. Animal Cannibal Pizza was locked up after processing human carcasses for his pizzas. Hell, he didn't even try to hide it—he'd just have a foot sticking out of the crust!
- Evil Lawyer Joke: There's such a gag in the part parodying The Silence of the Lambs where the protagonist is walking through the prison of mentally insane criminals—he walks past a bunch of maniacal, howling lawyers standing in a pit, with a warning sign reading "Don't feed the lawyers".
- Extendable Arms: There's a gag where a midget guard at the prison for mentally insane criminals directs Agent Fostar to a file on Dr. Animal Cannibal Pizza lying on top of a very tall cabinet. Fostar (who's about 6 feet tall) can't reach it, then the guard groans and extends his arm so he can easily grab it for him.
- Interactive Narrator: At one point Jo corrects the narrator when he says that Jane stole 400 dollars—it was 400,000 dollars.
- Latex Perfection: This is parodied in the ending, when basically every character in the film reveals themselves to be wearing a latex mask (e.g. Antonio's mother disguising herself as her son, Detective Balsam disguising himself as Lily, Jo disguising himself as Antonio's mother's corpse). It's so prolongued that by the end the characters are placing bets on it.
- Laughably Evil: As befits a parody. Dr. Animal Cannibal Pizza is an amiable psychopath played by Dom Deluise, and a practical jokester.
- Made in Country X: When Detective Balsam turns up alive, he's asked who was killed. Balsam replies that it was "RoboCrap: Japanese version of RoboCop".
- No Kill Like Overkill: In a Psycho scene parody, Antonio kills Jo by stabbing her by a knife, then shooting her with a gun, an assault rifle and a rocket launcher. Lampshaded by a newspapers title stating Killer may be helped by an army.
- Parody Names: Billy Zane's FBI Agent is named Jo Dee Fostar.
- Rapid-Fire Comedy: There's a joke at least once a minute, varying between shout-outs, visual gags, and lengthier sketches.
- "Psycho" Shower Murder Parody: Also spoofed at the end of the film, which is something of a parody mix between The Silence of the Lambs and Psycho. The killer in question is Alfred Hitchcock, who kills the director of Hams in the shower for making fun of his film. Then it turns out it was Dr. Animal Cannibal Pizza (Dom De Luise) wearing a latex mask.
- Something Else Also Rises: This shows up in a scene when the female lead caressess herself suggestively at a gas station to distract the clerk. The fuel dispenser rises up in response.