The Last Rites of Ransom Pride is a 2010 Western starring Lizzy Caplan, Cote de Pablo, Kris Kristofferson, and Dwight Yoakam, whose plot revolves around a female outlaw's efforts to retrieve her boyfriend's body from northern Mexico and bury him in Texas.
It is 1912, and Juliette Flowers (Caplin) runs a gun smuggling operation with her boyfriend Ransom Pride (Scott Speedman). When Ransom is killed in a deal gone bad, his body is taken by Maria La Morena, a Santa Muerte bruja (witch) in revenge for the death of her brother, a Catholic priest who was killed in the crossfire. Determined to give Ransom a decent burial, Juliette rides to Texas to enlist the help of his younger brother Champ. She also confronts Ransom's father, ex-Confederate bushwacker-turned-preacher Reverend Early Pride (Yoakam). Believing that Juliette intends to give Champ to the Bruja, Reverend Pride seeks aid from another ex-bushwacker, Shepherd Graves (Kristofferson), who sends his unstable nephew John (Jason Priestly) and another ex-bushwacker named Matthew (W. Earl Brown) to ride after them. Pride soon decides to track them down himself, and gives chase in his new automobile. The chase turns into a surreal odyssey with Juliette and Champ getting help from several unusual characters including a retired Buffalo Soldier on a motorcycle and a troupe of circus freaks led by Peter Dinklage.
- Accidental Murder: When his deal with Louie Chama turns into a Blast Out, Ransom reflexively shoots a someone behind him, then realizes the victim was an unarmed priest. He is then shot dead by a female parishioner.
- Action Girl: Juliette Flowers
- A Date with Rosie Palms: John is introduced bare-ass naked except for his hat, jerking off to a stereoscopic photo of a topless woman.
- The Alcoholic: Early Pride, who is a very mean drunk.
- Anti-Villain: Early Pride is a drunk asshole and an abusive father, but he pursues Juliette and Champ because he blames her for what happened to Ransom and believes she is leading Champ to his death, and wants to protect his only remaining son.
- As the Good Book Says...: Juliette and Rev. Pride engage in some Quote-to-Quote Combat with Bible verses.
- Ax-Crazy: John. Matthew can't stand him for it.
- *Click* Hello: Matthew and The Dwarf are both in the habit of answering their door with guns drawn.
- Despair Event Horizon: When Juliette tells him about Ransom's death, Early Pride collapses to his knees in front of his congregation, crying out, "I am no longer worthy to be called Your servant!" He then goes on a Hookers and Blow bender at Graves's place in his despair, before news of Champ's departure with Juliette snaps him out of it.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: A major theme.
- The Bruja's brother was a Catholic priest. She doesn't share his faith, but still loved him and wants vengeance for his death.
- Early Pride dearly loved his wife and tried to reform himself for her. Her Death by Childbirth in giving birth to Champ hurt him badly and left him an alcoholic. Though an abusive father, he still loves his sons on some level, is devastated by Ransom's death, and is motivated entirely by his desire to keep Champ safe.
- Juliette Flowers' devotion to Ransom is very sweet, but she is no saint herself. It is left ambiguous whether she really intends to trade Champ's life for Ransom's body as Reverend Pride fears, or take it by force with his help.
- Ransom was a murdering, swindling, cheating smuggler who wanted to make enough money to get his little brother away from their abusive father.
- Facial Horror: Maria La Morena is a beautiful woman with hideous burn scars across one side of her face.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Being an excellent shot is a hereditary trait in the Pride family.
- Noble Demon: Matthew is a professional killer and bounty hunter who committed atrocities with Pride and Graves in the Civil War. He's also honest, polite (though gruff) to people he meets on the road, and is disgusted by John's psychotic tendencies and penchant for creepy souvenirs.
- Papa Wolf: Early Pride's sole motivation is to protect his remaining son.
- Retired Monster: Reverend Early Pride. Graves and Matthew also apply, having all three been members of the same Confederate bushwhacker outfit in the Civil War.