María José "Cote" de Pablo Fernandez (born November 12 1979 on Santiago, Chile) is a Chilean-American actress and singer.
She is well known for her role as Ziva David on NCIS, from 2005 to 2013. Her character, Ziva David was a Mossad/NCIS Illasions officer (from Season 3-6) and a full-time NCIS officer until her departure in Season 11, then she was killed offscreen in the Season 13 finale. Her character Ziva, is also known for her Will They or Won't They? Unresolved Sexual Tension with Anthony DiNozzo, played by Michael Weatherly. The UST was finally resolved in Cote de Pablo's last appearance on NCIS.
After leaving NCIS, she starred in a CBS miniseries called The Dovekeepers, based on the book by Alice Hoffman in 2015 and The 33, which is based on the mining disaster in 2010 which saw 33 Chilean miners trapped underground, being one of the wives of the miners. Recently, she was in a TV movie called Prototype.
Tropes associated with Cote de Pablo:
- The Cast Showoff: In the NCIS episode "Last Man Standing", she sang "Temptation" from Tom Waits. Also, she has acted as a vocalist for songs in Roberto Pitre's Vivo En Vida CD. This is because Cote studied music during her youth before becoming an actress.
- Fake Nationality: Ziva David on NCIS was from Israel. Cote de Pablo is Chilean.
- Ms. Fanservice: In the sixth season premiere of NCIS, she performs the song Temptation, wearing a blue dress that exposes her back.
- No Stunt Double: She did most of her stunts in NCIS.
- Only Known By Her Nickname: "Cote" is a common Chilean nickname for women with the name "María José". Seeing that Americans can't pronounce the "María José" name, she opted to be called by her nickname instead because it was easy to pronounce and remember, so her name became "Cote" since then.