The Omega Mob (Phule's Company):In general:
Omega Company, or "Phule's Company" as the media nicknamed it, used to be a dumping ground for all the legionnaires who didn't fit into regular units, were too bad or too undisciplined. This has changed with the arrival of Captain Jester, or Willard Phule. He decided to turn the unit into the best there is - and succeeded.
- Badass Crew: After Phule's revolution they're widely regarded as the best Legion has.
- Mildly Military: While they do wear uniforms and train, the chain of command is followed very loosely and things that would get you sacked in any Real Life military get a pass in the Mob.
- Military Maverick: A whole company of them.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: They start like this - Omega Company is the one where all the misfits are sent.
- Reassigned to Antarctica: Until Phule's arrival they were stationed at Hasting's Planet of mud and bogs, doing nothing except guarding a swamp - one day a week.
- Squad Nickname: Omega Mob or Phule's Company, instead of Omega Company.
- We ARE Struggling Together: There are moments when they just can't stand each other...
Captain Jester, A.K.A. Willard Phule
Commander of Omega Mob and heir to Phule-Proof Munitions. He got transferred to Omega Company because he strafed a peace conference and his connectionsnote kept the Legion from outright sacking him. He then proceeded to turn the Mob into a well-oiled, working machine.
- A Father to His Men: It's lampshaded as the primary difference between him and other Legion commanders - he genuinely cares for his people.
- Determinator: He often goes long periods without any sleep.
- Fiction500: He and his father are listed as some of the richest people in the Federation.
- Rich in Dollars, Poor in Sense: Subverted. He sometimes looks like that to others, spending money with apparently no reward, but he does this because he can. He made all that money on fantastic business deals and has a great sense for stocks.
- Screw the Money, I Have Rules!: When C.H. offers him a partnership in an illegal enterprise, he declines. He also feels that using money to overcome troubles is somewhat beneath him.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: The Mob has some state-of-the-art equipment nobody else has, because Phule pays for it.
- Non-Idle Rich: He's rich enough to live in luxury for the rest of his life - instead, he joined the Legion.
- Uncle Pennybags: Despite being absurdly rich, he's quite fun to be around.
The Mob's senior sergeant, she started as deadpan snarker and cynic, but turned into one of Phule's supporters.
- Boobs of Steel: She's described as being "big everywhere".
- The Cynic: She starts like this, but slowly - and surprisingly - turns into the company's lead optimist.
- Hope Is Scary: Underplayed, but at the beginning she prefers not to believe anything good can happen to the Mob.
- Sergeant Rock: She's like this in reality, but often overplays it to get better results.
- Silly Rabbit, Cynicism Is for Losers!: One of the lead factors in the company's rise is her change of mind.
The Company's communication officer, she has a terrible stutter anytime when she has to talk face to face with anybody.
- Communications Officer: Before Phule commanded the Omega Mob, the role was switched off with different members. Once Mother's aptitude with non-face-to-face communication becomes known, she's given the role on a permanent basis.
- Hidden Depths: Believe it or not, but she was a radio DJ before joining.
- Mission Control: She's unable to work as anybody else.
- Shrinking Violet: Her company nickname - Violet - lampshades this: before she sat in front of the com console, she didn't say more than six words, as one of the characters puts it.
- Situational Sociability: In her own words, Mother was "scared of the sound of her own voice" as a child, which lead to a stutter and teasing that only exacerbated her already painful shyness. However, she learned that when she wore noise-cancelling headphones she could speak just fine. This enabled a career as a DJ until her studio automated. From there, she joined the Legion and was nicknamed Violet until Phule discovered one late night that her DJ personality makes itself known when on comm duty. Since then her codename changed to Mother and she is their permanent comm officer.
- Speech Impediment: When she talks with somebody face to face, her stutter is so strong she's practically unintelligible.
- Voice with an Internet Connection: She can access every legionnaire's wrist com and pinpoint their location, meaning she usually knows whatever they need.
Chocolate Harry, or C.H. for short, is the company's supply officer and ex biker.
- All Bikers Are Hells Angels: Before joining the legion, he was part of the Renegades and Outlaws, none of which were law-abiding organizations.
- Badass Biker: With a hoverbike - "hawg" - instead of a normal one. Complete with sidecar.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Underplayed, but he used to be part of a hoverbike gang.
- Mr. Fixit: He works with company equipment.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: His trademark outfit is a uniform without sleeves.
One of mob's very few aliens, he's a Volton - a giant, warthog-like creature.
- Berserk Button: Don't attack Super Gnat, or you'll face his wrath.
- The Big Guy: Subverted - he's big, but he's not a skilled fighter.
- Gentle Giant: He's the biggest Legionnaire in the Company - and a pacifist.
- Hidden Depths: After his army service, he wants to become a teacher.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: With Super Gnat.
- Martial Pacifist: He usually wouldn't harm a fly, but then he's over 6 feet tall and if somebody threatens Super Gnat...
- You No Take Candle: Justified, as he'd rather learn Terran languages instead of relying on translators. His main problem is that his mouth is the wrong shape for it.
The shortest female member of the Omega Mob, with an equally short fuse.
- Berserk Button: Don't snark on her height, and don't try to hurt Tusk around her.
- Cute Bruiser: Partially subverted. She's described as 'like a young farm pixie'' in the first book compared to the 'cuter Tinkerbell variety.'
- Hidden Depths: She's actually studied fencing, escrima and three different schools of karate; she just has to be angry enough to start a fight, and all that formal training goes bye-bye.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: with Tusk.
- The Napoleon: She's not only the shortest woman in the Omega Mob, she's the shortest of a total of nine kids in her family.