Deko Boko Friends is a Japanese animated series of 30-second-long episodes for preschoolers that aired from 2002 to 2011. It originated as a segment on the Japanese kids show Okaasan to Issho on NHK, and was shown on Noggin in the United States and Treehouse TV in Canada. It is the only Okaasan to Issho segment to see an international release.
The series is about different characters that represent various personalities, quirks, etc.; the idea is that they teach kids that it's okay to be different. Characters include (but are not limited to) a person with a chestnut for a head named Nut n' Nose, a guy with piano keys for teeth named Ken Bahn, a group of acorn kids called the Acorn Tots, and a person with a watering can for a head named Water Chap.
The setting of every episode is a white void containing nothing but a red door. A character comes out of the door and presents themselves to the viewers, and then finds themselves doing some kind of activity. At the end of each episode, the character says good-bye to the viewer.
This work contains examples of:
- Alliterative Name: The name "Belly Boing" repeats the letter "B".
- Big Eater: Belly Boing, who aboslutely loves to eat sweets.
- Canine Companion: Mu Mu is Big Oggo's dog, who appears alongside him in any episode where he's the one who emerges from the door.
- Catchphrase: The Egg Prince's catchphrase is "That makes me boil!"
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The Acorn Tots are acorn kids.
- Extremely Short Intro Sequence: The intro is only about three seconds long.
- Gentle Giant: Big Oggo is a giant, but given the nature of this show, it would only make sense that he's very friendly.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Specifically 24 characters in total (this counts each group of characters, such as the Acorn Tots, as however many members they comprise).
- Meaningful Name: Mu Mu the dog is named for the "mu mu" sound he makes in place of normal barking.
- Open-Door Opening: Every episode begins with a character opening the red door and entering the room.
- Portable Hole: Disabear can toss his plates onto the ground and use them as holes.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: A lot of the characters shown here are pretty adorable. It is a Japanese children's cartoon, after all.
- Sweet Tooth: Belly Boing has an obsession with eating sweets.
- That Makes Me Feel Angry: If anything happens to the Egg Prince that makes him angry, he says "That makes me boil!" while his head boils like an egg to the point that the egg half of his head cracks a bit.
- Title Theme Tune: Erm, sort of. Given the short length of the episodes, about the closest thing to a theme song here is all of the characters popping out of the red door and singing the title of the show before going back into the door.
- White Void Room: The entire setting is basically one, being a completely featureless white backdrop containing literally nothing but a door.