So Bad Its Good: New Media
Even on the Internet (especially
on the Internet), quality is subjective.
- The Adventures of Alex the Fox. A weird Sonic fan-cartoon starring a Self Insert fox named Alex, taking place in the Sonic X-verse. If the animation wasn't laughable enough, the Narmtastic voice acting is. First episode, second episode, third.
- Many videos by Youtube user "Aloyalgamer", particularly his Let's Play of Suikoden II. Among other things, he sometimes attempts to voice act for the characters' written dialogue (his voice for Luca Blight sounds like a tea kettle on helium), he is infamous for dropping incredibly blatant "hints" towards later plot events, often forgets to keep track of time and routinely ends videos mid-scene, mid-battle or even mid-sentence, and in later videos frequently belched during the recordings. He once recorded a series of videos after having recently undergone dental surgery. Perhaps most egregiously, however, was when he nonchalantly and very loudly chowed down on popcorn while recording the final sequence of the game. And yet he is just so enthusiastic about everything he does and possesses such a degree of earnestness his videos are made better for it, not worse.
- Song parody website Amiright features a lot of these, and the names of the parodists who write them are even wackier than the songs themselves, for instance some of the editors are quite fond of Theme Naming. One of which is Agrimorfee - whose name sounds like the name of a Greek god or Harry Potter character and get this... his name *means* 'parody.'
- This advertisement video for the Appalachian State University. Everyone in the comments agrees the quality is so bad as to be hilarious. A hilarious comment (quoted in this article) sums it up, "whoever came up with this video as a recruitment tool and whoever approved it's[sic] release should be shot, shot, shot."
- Here's an intentionally bad parody of it.
- When not outright insulting, the sexism in Arrow in the Head website comes off like this. Apparently, watching Cowboys and Aliens is "cinematic equivalent of nailing a blonde and a brunette at the same time in a pristine bathroom stall".
- Banana Clan, an animated series where all the episodes that are more than 5 seconds long are HILARIOUS.
- Blingee. It's been described as 'Photoshop for retards', and is way too annoying for even MySpace teenyboppers to actually use, but wonderful when used ironically (see liberal blog Wonkette for shining examples).
- CBoyardee's (yes, the same guy who made Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden) Dilbert trilogy. Originally made as an art appreciation project, these short videos feaure mindbending plots and grotesque visuals. Every character (voiced by CBoyardee himself) speaks in a dull, monotone voice, and they all look incredibly deformed and wrinkly. All this set to peaceful music. The trilogy ends with Dilbert and Wally murdering everyone in the office building and then committing suicide. You can view all three Dilbert videos here.
- Charlie Sheen's Twitter account.
- The Childcare Action Project (a.k.a. "CAP Alert") can get unintentionally hilarious at times, such as the review of The Dark Knight, which opted to provide a long sermon on teaching children right from wrong...which featured the words "rod", "beat", "thrust", "discipline", and "sheep", apparently without noticing.
- Conservapedia. The only source of online information free from the 'bias of the liberal media'.
- So popular among online trolls that it's now impossible to tell what was added by serious conservatives and what is deliberate parody, which just makes it funnier.
- The George W. Bush article once said that he was "one of the greatest presidents in American history," that he was "successfully able to salvage the Hurricane Katrina rescue effort after it was sabotaged by a Democratic/Islamo-Fascist conspiracy" and that his unpopularity was due mainly to him being forced by the Democratic Congress to push through bailout packages.
- At least part of the reason for its popularity with trolls lies with its creator having a massive case of Small Name, Big Ego, and handing out free passes to anyone who supports him in unrelated discussions.
- They accuse Barack Obama of everything under the sun, claiming that he's a Nazi Communist (somehow) who was only elected due to his mind controlling policy.
- The guy who founded the place also wants to make his own version of the Bible that removes all references to mercy. Think about it.
- That all said, Conservapedia has been primarily edited by trolls ever since its rise to infamy, so exactly how much, if any, of this is sincere is impossible to determine.
- The quotes section from the Donald Trump article:
"This country is going to hell."
"We have no leader in this country."
"Our leaders are stupid, they are stupid people," and "It's just very, very sad..."
"I'm Obama's Worst Nightmare"
- Their article about The European Union once said that its capital city was "The city of Brussels in France".
- Their article on jaundice has, since 2008, contained an incorrect claim that too much antigen can cause it.
- Their articles on bands are cryworthy in terms of ridiculousness. Apparently The Decemberists "endorse Barack Obama for the presidency and/or kingship."
- They claim that the BBC is linked to Al-Qaeda.
- Cracked's rejected Photoshop contest entries.
- Cringevenom and Bargain Bin of Oblivion are made of this. The videos are bad and the poster and viewers know this, but they're just so funny.
- Drawn Sex. Crudely drawn Rule 34 comics, where Everyone Is Bi, Made in a third world country, with a "Blind Idiot" Translation giving us such wonderful lines as "I'm just here", "I'm go!", "Get out, bart, I'm piss!" and "Don't tell boys about us" look it up if you want, but it's NSFW.
- Dusk's Dawn is a My Little Pony equivalent of The Room. The hilariously sloppy writing, voice acting, pacing, animation, and Narm provide a high entertainment value and a good laugh.
- Any Flash animations by dusthillguy, the most famous perhaps of which is Monsquaz (NSFW, though certain organs are censored.)
- This "rebuttal" to a negative review of FATAL. It's apparently intended seriously, but FATAL's "creator", Byron Hall, kindly shoots himself in the foot with a grenade launcher when his criticism of the review demonstrates no apparent familiarity with basic language techniques. For example, he fails to recognize a simile, describes obvious repetition for comic effect as "redundancy", and doesn't remember that "motherfucker" is almost never intended literally. It's a hilarious read when you're not raging.
- What makes his apparent failure to grasp figurative language even funnier is that he frequently claims Sartin and MacLennan have a worse grasp of English than he does. Yet they're the ones using metaphor and simile, and he's the one failing to recognise it.
- It's worth reading just to see him rebut "it's a date-rape simulator" with "where is dating included?".
- Or to see them deciding Unknown Armies is a terrible, poorly conceived game because it simplifies drunkenness to a rule of thumb rather than cramming in unnecessary complexity.
- If nothing else, you've gotta love the way Hall genuinely tries to take on the tone of an intellectual (going on an on about how superior his grammar is, the complexities of the research he did, how he's just too smart for religion, etc.) while simultaneously insisting upon the undeniable necessity of canyon-wide sphincters and 'fist-fucking' in any proper RPG experience.
- And it's not even that he's trying to justify "fist-fucking." He's trying to use the most scholarly language he can imagine, while also stopping to comment "Cookie Monster is cool! They call that death metal." That last one actually suggests he thinks by typing this rebuttal he is involved in a real-time conversation with the reviewers, because it was in response to a rhetorical question made for the sake of a joke.
- There's also the part where he talks about how hot his wife is, and how he "knows from personal experience" that an overly large dong makes sex painful.
- Faux Paw the Techno Cat. Four cartoons (1, 2, 3 and 4) about a spin off character of McGruff the Crime Dog, a little cat called Faux Paw who teaches kids how to use the internet safely. The animation is like something from an mid-90s PC game, the music sounds like it was stolen from an episode of Looney Tunes and the messages are really off the mark. But despite all of that, they have some strange, inexplicable appeal.
- Gaia Online is responsible for a series of three short films produced as part of the build-up to their 2007 Halloween event, because they wanted to do something different. Titled MMVII, production was outsourced to Idealogue with a next-to-zero dollar budget, and, frankly, the films were bad. The animation stunk, the voice-acting was phoned in, and the characters were more than a little flat, at least compared to their portrayal in the storyline comics. The userbase immediately fell in love with the movies because the hilariously bad quality turned them into A-grade riffing material - some users even made parody fan-subs of the movies. They're still remembered fondly by most of the users who were around for that event, mostly due to the Nostalgia Filter.
- Gaming In The Clinton Years is an archive of hilariously bad video game reviews. Mentioned quite a lot of times on Retsupurae's channel on YouTube (which mocks bad Let's Play videos), there is nothing that can be said about the person/organization's videos that isn't "What the?" The videos themselves are from a TV show called Flights of Fantasy that supposedly aired in the 1990s. The organization NAViGaTR (which stands for National Association of Video Game Testers and Reviewers), of whose board George Wood, the man giving the reviews, was chairman, simply uploaded these videos to a wider public. Sadly, he is no longer with us, but his noticeable and slightly disturbing things said in the videos will never be forgotten:
"Why not have a game where you have to drive an ambulance to the hospital while obeying the road signs?"
"I have a challenge to Eidos: create a sequel in which Lara Croft gets breast cancer."
"Donkey Kong Country is truly perfect. If you do not get this new generation of Donkey Kong madness, you are stupid!"
- MSTed by the Retsupurae troupe in these videos.
- The NA Vi Ga TR page they're hosted on has some other George Wood-related gems as well, such as the video game awards show with him and another host trading banter so forced and unfunny it loops back around to hilarious, and the game show "Who Wants To See My Derriere?" where people (often kids) compete to win the chance to see George Wood's ass (no, really.)
- Half-Life: Full Life Consequences started life as a bad piece of Half-Life fanfiction and was completely, gloriously transfigured in this fan video using Garry's Mod.
- Heartless Bitches International has a whole collection of hate mail from trolls and crazy people.
- Henry Makow. He believes Rockefeller invented cancer, that the Nazis were Jewish and that Jack the Ripper was Winston Churchill's father. No, seriously.
- The Irate Gamer, a known plagiarist, blatant liar, and cannot get his facts correct, and yet, he's fun to watch, mainly because you want to see just how bad he'll get.
- The entire oeuvre of Jack Chick, comic tract author extraordinaire. It borders on "laugh just so you don't have to cry" when you consider some people take its contents seriously.
- Jesus Is Savior. A website made by a Christian pastor that hates everything including rock music, Catholics, atheists, public schools, Alister Crowley, women wearing pants, the New International Version Bible and everyone and everything not his own denomination. It looks like it was designed by a schizophrenic.
- Jon Lajoie has an uncanny ability to generate media that is So Bad It's Good.
- Let's Paint TV, a call-in TV show where the host runs on a treadmill while painting and mixing drinks. Sadly, most of the people who call the host are disgruntled gang members, jerks who make fun of the host, and perverts who hit on his female co-host. It has to be seen to be believed.
- Mark Gormley's music videos, particularly "Without You"
- Master Wabit's Earthbound LP could count, he's playing it blind, loses to almost every boss, talks to himself like a mad man, and it is hilarious.
- Strangely, the weird "anime puppet" style that every Newgrounder and his brother uses is used in a completely un-ironic fashion. It can take a while to realize this.
- In that same vein, The Trapped Trilogy needs a mention. The puzzles are laughable, the story is stupid, and the whole thing takes itself way too seriously.
- Nyan~ Neko Sugar Girls. Hideously bad artwork and animation, an incoherent melodramatic plot, and loads of mangled, nonsensical Gratuitous Japanese delivered in equally ridiculous voices, all topped with a dash of tongue-in-cheek self awareness.
- Everything by oldandsureal, but special emphasis must be given to the Goriest Horror Movie Ever Made! series.
- PilotRedSun specializes in these kinds of videos. His videos contain hideously demented and poor artwork, irritating background music, and voices done by text-to-speech machines. However, the resulting creations are so Dadaist, you can't help but appreciate them. This was very intentional, as proven by this exchange in the comments of Rocko's Gaming Tragedy:
gofruity: clearly the budget went to the animation department
PilotRedSun: all of the budget went into the snacks I ate while making this
- Pube Muppet (Warning, NSFW.)
- Knock Knock! It's me, the RATBOY GENIUS! I Just came over to say hi.
- This could probably also fit in music, but raysipeladygaga is an old man that likes singing about many different topics with very simplistic lyrics and music. However, between the ridiculous outfits that he wears, the Word Salad Titles and descriptions (one title is literally called "/v/-Video Games;Ray Sipe;swagg daddy;Instagram;Facebook;Twitter;Google;Yandex;Baidu." and that's not even his oddest title!), and overall attitude that he has throughout many of his videos, you can't help but actually like the guy.
- Robert E. Mcelwaine. Because only one man could post this kind of insanity with a straight face.
- Joe Jonah Euclid, who invented the word "entrepreturiting" and would loudly proclaim that he would create two zones of metaphysics so that he could have missionaries (why?) porgress miraciously (what?) as part of a plan to reveal how all Protestant churches are run by criminally insane psychic child molesters.
- Examples related to Family Guy:
- Sath McFarland (slightly, slightly NSFW), a pretentious parody of Seth MacFarlane. The videos, specifically Family Man, consist of a slideshow of images on random backgrounds with unfitting music and Youtube Poop-esque effects while being voiced by a computer speech program. And it parodies everything wrong with the newer episodes.
- ALL HAIL SATH ALL HAILSATH ALLHAILSATH ALL HAILSATH
- Someone took Brian's death scene and made it into a cheesy Gag Dub. HEY BRIAN, WHAT DO YOU SAY WE GO TO THE CLAM?
- A really bad western AMV, Stewie singing Bloodhound Gang's "Bad Touch". The clips do not fit AT ALL (real shame considering FG has more than enough sexual clips), are barely synced, the song is credited as "Discovery Channel by Wesley Jackson", and the credits claim some clips are from "when Stewie was addicted to crack" (he was addicted to pancakes, the crack was a lie by Meg so she could get higher tips).
- Saving Private Edwards. It's just so bad! For that matter, all of Talking With Jon is this; the main thing is mainly stuff getting burned, that and some of the other clips are stupididly good.
- The Slenderblog Abducted Flowers. It's about somebody who was kidnapped by Slenderman because apparently he loved her. The best part of it is: "His semen is periwinkle blue."
- The inventively titled "Slender Man Short Film" is quite possibly the most hilariously stupid portrayal of that greatest of internet horrors that you will ever see. Bad effects, worse acting, and a "story" that lies somewhere between Idiot Plot and Random Events Plot make for some very funny Nightmare Retardant.
- A couple of scenes in Survival of the Fittest fit this. One of the most notable examples was anything to do with Carson Baye of v3. A Bandou Expy (right down to copying his infamous Kick the Dog moment almost word for word), he was also an Occidental Otaku, who introduced himself on the island by killing rabbits and ending up walking towards a group while covered in blood. He then analysed the group, and put them into Moe stereotypes. Other antics include shouting out a Death Note reference and playing on his DS in a middle of a gunfight. His death scene? Involves him taking a crap in the middle of a dangerzone. While quoting Pokémon. Many other examples on the site exist, that it's impossible to name them all. The author has attempted to redeem himself. He succeeded, and constantly mocks his older "work". One of his v4 characters, Milo Taylor, is half apology for, half parody of Carson.
- T Barb Drills and his friend made Golduck Production, a video described as "This is intended to be laughably bad. considering; all the actors are action figures, the cast are mostly morons, it was made after 11:00 PM, Me and my best friend were feeling kooky, I got new Pokémon figures, and the dialogue is nuts. This was made for a good laugh and I was not serious at the time of the recording." It's on Youtube and you can find it here.
- Time Cube. Militantly atheistic, racist, and homophobic rants against "educated stupid queer oneness." According to this philosophy, there are four simultaneous days occurring at any one time (but there is no "one" time, or "one" anything), a metaphor somehow best understood by a cube, all things existing in antipodes (as a consequence of which, -1 * -1 = -1, since 1 can only exist as the opposite to -1), all "explained" in bizarrely constructed sentences in centered boldface with all manner of text effects and colors on a grid background with seemingly random vertices rotated for reasons that make sense if you understand his thesis. If you do, however, STOP READING IMMEDIATELY.
- What's especially hilarious? Consider "YOU CAN"T KILL ME, FOR I AM 82+ CANCER." The author can't even use CAPS LOCK properly. Or the English language.
- "Cubic antipode creation debunks singularity. Cube is the most perfect form of opposites. Opposite hemispheres equate opposite cubes. Opposite sex cubes equate to a crap-shoot." Wait, what?
- The Official Flash "Animation" Series Transformers: Action Blast. Aside from standard bad Flash Animation and a plot ripped wholesale from the pilot episode of Transformers Generation 1, the numerous non-sequitur (The insane rambling narrator, Megatron being dully outraged by cars, the Autobots scanning theirs alt-modes with Eye Beams...) makes it strangely hilarious.
- TV Tropes can be this, thanks to the occasional internet tough guys or butthurt fanboys that edit this site. Relatedly, Troper Tales used to have several subpages so bad that had to be seen to be believed. In the Insufferable Genius Troper Tales page, for example, the typical entry is summary of what arrogant, dog kicking assholes they are quickly followed by "but I'm really a nice person on the inside!". The infamous tale of the boy who broke 33 pencils on the Troper Tales subpage of Beware the Nice Ones was also widely considered to fall into this category.
This was the opinion of several users of this site on the former name of the Boisterous Bruiser trope, The Toblerone. It was so obscure, so completely meaningless that on reading the trope definition the sheer cognitive dissonance pushed a minority of vocal readers to enter a Zen state of perfect understanding. It was "the sound of one hand clapping" of trope names.
- In each Worth1000 contest, the amazingly well done higher-ranked entries often contrast with the So Bad, It's Good entries that make up the rest.
- YouTube's captioning device (which is originally used for deaf people) qualifies when it has such word salad gems as "I have a six-year-old and that may be headed for trouble", "Fuck my sex life", "I designed this virtual stadium myself in prison", "Let me show you who's going to lose a lot of pot", "It's like you've given up on election day", and "My brain, you know it going to die" being around. These captions are considered Funny Moments, even if the video shown is supposed to be serious. It's even more hilarious when you find shows and video games that are mainly meant for a younger audience and they find naughty words like "Sexy", "Vaginally", "Shit", "Genitals", "Fuck", "Cock", "Asshole", and "Faggot". We actually want you to go click on the CC button for almost any video around if it's shown there. If you want to find some more of these pictures, click either here or here. Another example is "Steven Magnet", a Fan Nickname given to a purple dragon that appeared in one episode because of the line given out during one of his scenes.
- YouTube Poop uses this trope endlessly (and intentionally). A few notable ones:
- Out of the dozens of thousands of YTPs, if just one could be crowned as the grandest example of So Bad It's Good, it would have to be CALI BEAR'S BIG SPECTACULAR OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
- The Spooge Monster is this for Youtube Poop standards. Almost all the new dialogue is recorded by the author himself (something highly unprofessional and frowned upon in YTP, since it defeats the point of editing) it's unnecessarily vulgar and disgusting even by YTP standards, and about 60% of it is pointless Padding (especially maddening because YTPs do not have a minimum run time). And yet, it's so pathetic it loops back around to being awesome.
- About 45% of this site's ads.
- I don't want my pizza burning. Spawned the infamous "pizza dance" GIF.
- LIK DIS IF YOU CRY EVERTIM!!!!
- Santa's coming down the chimoney.
- "So ur with ur honey and yur making out wen the phone rigns. U anser it n the vioce is "wut r u doing wit my daughter?" U tell ur girl n she say 'my dad is ded'. THEN WHO WAS PHONE?"note Other, similar So Bad, It's Good "creepypastas" can be seen here. Also, the webmaster of Bogleech has written his own page of intentionally So Bad Its Good creepypasta, most notably The Dead Skull and The Day of All The Blood.
- This kid with some kind of metabolic disorder posts videos of himself lip syncing to songs. Just... watch one.
- This sad, sad attempt at a parody.