Recap: Family Guy S 2 E 5 Love Thy Trophy
Original air date: March 14, 2000Peter and the neighbors fight over a trophy they won for a parade float. Meanwhile, Meg takes a job as a pancake house waitress to get a Prada bag by posing as a single teenage mother with a crack-addicted baby so she can get more tips from sympathetic diners.
Tropes included in "Love Thy Trophy" include (YMMV goes Here.)
- Character Development/Establishing Character Moment: According to a "making of Family Guy" special on DVD, Seth MacFarlane cites this episode as the one that solidified Quagmire's "heartless sex maniac" persona (more specifically, the scene where he sleeps with the social worker and, after she asked him what he does for a living, he asks her, "Why are you still here?"). Later episodes (such as "Fore Father," "Jerome is the New Black," and "Quagmire's Mom") expand on why Quagmire is a heartless sex maniac (in "Fore Father," it was because his large-chested mom [who was recently abandoned by her husband, who turned out to be a gay man who got a sex change operation] breastfed him as a child, in "Jerome is the New Black," it was because the one woman he truly loved [Cheryl Tiegs] left him, and "Quagmire's Mom" revealed that he picked it up from his mother, which is really an extension of the one cutaway from "Fore, Father").
- Department of Child Disservices: They step in and take Stewie away from his family.
- Determinator: Peter's compliment to Quagmire, that he never gives up trying to woo the ladies.
- Innocent Innuendo:Diane Simmons: Welcome to the 83rd annual Quahog Harvest Festival Parade. Are you as excited as I am, Tom?
Tom Tucker: Are you kidding, Diane? I've got wood!... and clipped onto it is a list of this year's float entries.
- Jerkass Ball: Meg gets this pretty hard, using Stewie as a faux crack-addict baby to try and get a Prada purse (though she does end up giving it up so Stewie can be returned).
- Lampshaded the Obscure Reference: The theme for the Quahog Harvest Festival Parade is "The episode of Whos The Boss where Tony sees Angela naked in the shower". Lois and Cleveland both think it's too esoteric.
- Mustache Vandalism: When Peter breaks into Joe's house to look for the stolen trophy, he takes a moment to draw a mustache on a picture of Joe and Bonnie. Moments later, while in Cleveland's house, he draws mustaches on Loretta and Cleveland's son, but pauses when he gets to Cleveland because he already has a mustache. He decides to erase Cleveland's mustache instead.
- The Power of Friendship: All friends contribute to the rescue of Stewie.
- Pun: When Quagmire is hitting on a woman at a bar and asking her sign, he says, "Well I know you're not a Virgo!"
- Ransacked Room: Peter ransacks the homes of his neighbors.
- Shout-Out: Charlton Heston says, "Let my pigeons go!"
- To The Twilight Zone; Rod Sterling appears when Peter, Quagmire, Joe, and Cleveland are fighting over who stole the trophy, and again at the end of the episode when Brian buries the trophy in the yard.
- Sick and Wrong: One of the entries for the parade float is Tony bathing Jonathan. Tom Tucker declares, "That's just plain wrong."
- Spies in a Van: The wives are surveilling the rescue of Stewie from a white van.