Characters / Team 8
The character sheet for Team 8
- Achievements in Ignorance: Infusing shadow clones with personalities? Makes sense, why shouldn't he?
- All of the Other Reindeer: Far much more than in canon, with people denying him service, sabotaging his reputation, and even trying to kill him. It gets to the point that it infuriates Kurenai because of how dumb it is.
- Anti-Magic: His Chakra Pulse works like an EMP and can cancel large-scale genjutsu.
- Berserk Button: If you know what's good for you, don't you DARE hurt his friends.
- Book Dumb: He never becomes a genius but Kurenai works hard to remedy this.
- Cute Bruiser: Becomes a Lightning Bruiser thanks to Gai's taijutsu training and the Kyuubi's chakra and can now punch through metal if he's focused and angry enough.
- Dark and Troubled Past: In addition to his canon troubles, people tried to kill Naruto as a toddler (usually around the first of each month), the hospital staff hate him and shopkeepers and store owners regularly try to screw him over.
- The Hero: The story follows him.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: After his first kill. Hinata and Kurenai snap him out of it.
- Again after Kurenai's death. Shino, Hinata, Jiraiya, Iruka and Konohamaru bring him back around.
- Highly Visible Ninja: He eventually buys several dark green uniforms and a grey scarf to counteract this.
- The McCoy: Much more given to emotion than Shino and Hinata, though not nearly as much as his canon self.
- Oblivious to Love: Deconstructed. Hinata's shyness and his childhood means he doesn't notice the signs. Kurenai spells it out for him in a letter.
- Power Incontinence: Tends to put a lot of chakra into his ninjutsu which can backfire if the jutsu doesn't really need that much. Eventually begins supercharging them anyway to use them on multiple targets.
- Protectorate: Team 8 and Konoha are this for Naruto and he takes his duty seriously.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red to Shino's Blue and the Blue to Lee's Red.
- Spanner in the Works: To Orochimaru.
- The Stoic: This Naruto is little more reserved than the Hot-Blooded one from canon.
- Summon Magic: Gains the Turtle contract.
- There Are No Therapists: The academy's psychiatrist was no help, leading to Kurenai stepping in.
- Training from Hell: He begins training with Gai and Lee to improve his taijutsu, eventually going 3 times a day during the Chuunin preliminaries.
- Turtle Power: Naruto acquires the Turtle Contract from Guy.
- Unstoppable Rage: The first time he uses the Kyuubi's chakra.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: Shadow Clone Jutsu, is there anything you can't do?
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Significantly less so than in canon, since he does hope to become Hokage to disprove everyone who ever persecuted him.
- Will They or Won't They?: With Hinata.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: The possibility of Naruto becoming one of these is discussed. Itachi is attempting to break Kurenai's mind with his Dojutsu by making her live and relive the killing of herself and her team by a mob. She breaks it by forcing the illusion to faithfully recreate Naruto's likely reaction if he were to see Hinata killed: releasing the Kyuubi of his own will and letting it destroy the village.
- Zerg Rush
- All of the Other Reindeer: Not nearly as bad as Naruto or Hinata, but the Aburame are encouraged to keep to themselves.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: How he figures out Naruto's jinchuuriki status, Hinata's feelings towards Naruto and how he fights Kiba, Chouji and Kankuro.
- Badass: Especially after his weapons training with his mother.
- The Beast Master: Natch.
- Berserk Button: Attacking his teammates and teacher.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Possibly the quietest person in the story but just as dangerous as the rest of his team.
- Big Brother Instinct: Is eldest of the 3 genin and is very enraged by threats to the others' safety.
- Calling the Old Man Out: After learning the truth about Naruto, Shino tears his clan apart over their treatment of his teammate and influencing Shino's opinion about him.
- Defrosting Ice King: While he was, at worst, neutral to Naruto at the beginning of the story, Shino didn't think highly of his skills and temperament. This changes in short order after Naruto proves himself.
- Guile Hero: On the occasions he does speak, Shino tends to verbally harpoon people he dislikes and get them to do what he wants.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Was a lot more skilled than he let on when the team was first formed and eventually stopped hiding it.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: Not as strong or as tough as Naruto, not as fast as Hinata but well-rounded enough that it's rarely a problem. Though to people outside his team, he's a Lightning Bruiser. Sasuke has trouble keeping up with his foot speed.
- Mana Burn: What he frequently uses his bugs to do to his opponents.
- Nothing Up My Sleeve: His kamas.
- Odd Friendship: He and Naruto make for a strange pair of friends but friends nonetheless.
- Only Sane Man: The only well-adjusted member of Team 8.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue to Naruto's Red.
- The Quiet One: Prefers observing people and only commenting when he has something to say.
- Scarily Competent Tracker: Tags everyone he knows with one of his bugs, making him the number choice to find a missing colleague.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: To the point that Naruto sometimes needs a translator to understand what he says.
- Sinister Scythe: His mother eventually teaches him how to dual-wield a pair of kama.
- The Smart Guy: Is the Teen Genius of his clan, loves big words, can work a crowd if he has to and is very observant and calculating.
- Specs of Awesome
- The Spock: The most logical member of Team 8.
- The Stoic: By normal standards, Shino is not given to emotion and generally keeps to himself.
- Tranquil Fury: Shino is quiet but menacing when angered.
- Twitchy Eye: The primary way of gauging his moods is to watch his eyebrows.
- Break the Haughty: The failure of the Wave Country mission was hard on the entire team, as is what they go through in the Chunin Exams, including their being eliminated by the end of the first round.
- For Want of a Nail: The Nail being Kiba and Akamaru are on the Team instead of Naruto.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Kiba and Akamaru are Sanguine, Sasuke is Choleric, Sakura is Melancholic and Kakashi is Phlegmatic.
- The Rival: To Team 8. Not enemies but as a rule, they can't stand each other much.
- Took a Level in Kindness: As a result of their interactions with Team 8 and a little Break the Haughty, most of the members become more affable.
- Break the Haughty: Not as bad as his students but Kakashi finds out they aren't quite as strong as he thinks they are.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Subverted over time, as the author has him cut back on his eccentric behavior as he is forced to train his team seriously.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Because Naruto's on Team 8 in the story, we rarely get to see the Badass. And his eccentricity is dialed back as he starts taking training his students seriously.
- Disappointed In You: Has this reaction when all three of his students fail the Chunin Exams before the finals.
- Let's Get Dangerous: When he gives his team their orders during the invasion, they realize that this is the ANBU Captain in him speaking.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: Deconstructed. Without Naruto to mitigate some of the Team's weaknesses, his students don't do nearly as well in the Exams. Eventually they demand more involved teaching.
- Alpha Bitch: By accident and once she realizes it, she tries to change.
- Break the Haughty/Jerkass Realization: Naruto telling Lee to not ask her out causes her to realize that, with the exception of Sasuke, she treats people badly.
- Character Development: Begins moving away from her Tsundere tendencies, tries to rebuild her friendship with Ino and begins taking a sincere, non-fangirl look at her attraction to Sasuke.
- The Smart Girl: Of her Team.
- Trap Master: Has a talent for making them.
- Tsundere: Deconstructed. It makes her look like a Jerkass to most people.
Kiba Inuzuka and Akamaru
- Charles Atlas Superpower: While only one of its genin is unable to use chakra, all members use more comparatively mundane methods to defeat opponents that fostered by constant practice i.e. Gai and Lee punch people really well, Neji pokes people really well and Tenten stabs people really well.
- Friendly Rival: To Team 8, with the exception of Neji.
- What the Hell, Hero?: The rest of the team is not at all pleased with what Neji did to Hinata, and make it clear to him in varying ways, and to varying degrees.
- Action Girl: Bit of an Informed Ability but she helps Lee and Naruto in taijutsu training by using them for target practice and neither of them are slouches. It took a while for her to not be able to hit Naruto in the face.
- Improbable Aiming Skills
- In Spite of a Nail: Still loses to Temari because her skill set hasn't changed much from canon and it's just a bad match against Temari's.
- The Knights Who Say "Squee!": Looks up to Kurenai for being a competent female jonin.
- Multi-Melee Master: Can accurately use shuriken, kunai, swords, spears, maces and several other weapons.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: It's the former Trope Namer, for crying out loud. He actually manages to win his prelim match without moving from his starting stance, but gives it up, realizing Temari is up to something.
- Casting a Shadow
- Minored In Ass Kicking: As usual, in the event you can actually motivate Shikamaru to really fight, he's surprisingly scrappy in combat.
- Teen Genius: The best strategist in the village after his father and like Shino, it was only a matter of time before he figured out what Naruto really was.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Has a much better showing in-story than he does in canon. He fights Shino in the Semifinals of the Exams and mostly loses due to Shino's bugs being able to attack from long distances.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Shikamaru.
- Nice Guy: Doesn't hold grudges, is chagrined when he possibly permanently hurts an opponent and he and Shino have a honorable fight during the Exams.
- Demoted to Extra: Asuma and Shikamaru become more important as the Exams wear on and even Choji has his moment in the sun. Ino, however, hasn't yet escaped this treatment.
- The Rival: To Sakura. Sakura herself is trying to go back to their being simply friends.
- Satellite Character: Rarely shows up in-story without being accompanied by either a member of her team, Sakura or a mention of Sasuke.
Kurenai's old team
The other three members of Kurenai's team before their deaths on a mission 10 years ago. For Kurenai, see Team 8.
One of Kurenai's teammates, and a close friend.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Described as "brave, loyal, brash and a little conceited," and Kurenai believes that if he had been able to mature, he would have been a credit to his clan.
- Off with His Head!: Decapitated during the ambush.
A member of Kurenai's team who somehow acquired the Byakugan
- Badass Teacher: A skilled ninja who's very good at making more skilled ninjas.
- Big Brother Mentor: To Naruto.
- Cool Teacher: With the exception of Hanabi and maybe Sasuke, all of his students look back fondly on their lessons with him.
- Guile Hero: Best seen in the Chuunin Exams arc, where he disguises himself and essentially cons several Hyuugas out of their money and investments. He also, along with Kurenai and Sarutobi are trying to unravel the Government Conspiracy against Naruto.
- No-One Could Survive That: Konohamaru says this of him when Iruka tries to intercept his and Hanabi's kidnappers. While injured badly, Iruka mostly received flesh wounds.
- Rags to Riches: Becomes quite wealthy after the Chuunin Exams, thanks to all of the bets he made and took on others' behalf.
- Big Brother Worship: Of Naruto.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Not nearly as bad as Hanabi. The difference is when he does it, he tends to be louder.
- Foil: To Hanabi. Both are young aristocrats and bratty kids. But where Hanabi is a Spoiled Brat, Konohamaru is a Spoiled Sweet, if a bit loud.
- Spoiled Sweet: Brattiness aside, as per canon, Konohamaru is perfectly willing to hang around and look up to the village pariah because he thinks Naruto's awesome.
- Wham Line: Telling Naruto that his kidnappers killed Iruka. While it's somewhat subverted in that it later turns out that he's wrong, it does make things personal for Naruto.
- Abusive Parents: Horrifyingly dismissive of Hinata and possibly trying to get her killed.
- Adaptational Villainy: Holy crap, Hiashi's a prick.
- Archnemesis Dad: To Hinata.
- Aristocrats Are Evil
- Big Screwed-Up Family: Hanabi is the only member of his family who doesn't appear to fear him in any way.
- Government Conspiracy: Involved in two: the murder of Mattai, a non-Hyuuga possessor of the Byakugan and another that concerns Naruto.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: There is scarcely a moment in the narrative where Hiashi is shown as not being angry for whatever reason.
- Hypocrite: It's implied that for all his preaching on emotional restraint and propriety, he's one of the worst-tempered characters in the story.
- Kick the Dog: Several examples. A few of the more notable ones include:
- Forcing Hinata to train all night even though she tells him she has a mission the next day.
- Planning on punishing Neji for losing against Naruto.
- Complaining about how a "peasant" like Kurenai's teammate Mattai ended up with a Byakugan, which ends up coming back to bite him when he tries to manipulate the person in question into joining the Branch Family.
- Man in White
- Rich Bastard
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!
- Selective Obliviousness: Hinata is clearly more competent than Hiashi says she is, even if she can't take Neji in a fight yet he refuses to acknowledge even that.
Shibi and Misato Aburame
- Anti-Hero: Also Anti-Role Model.
- Badass Grandpa: Forcing Itachi and Kisame to retreat when they try to kidnap Naruto.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He's an incredible ninja. To Kurenai's unending anger, he's also an almost incorrigible pervert.
- Dirty Old Man: Of course.
- Parental Substitute: Becomes one of the primary adult figures in Naruto's life after Kurenai's death and honors her Last Request to make him both a great ninja and not quite as perverted as he is. Makes sense because he's still Naruto's godfather.
The Chuunin proctor
The Sound Trio
- Exotic Weapon Supremacy: A large jar of sentient sand, a giant folding fan and a puppet loaded with booby traps. The jonin-sensei attending the Chuunin Exams uses a sword made of Razor Wind!
- Ax-Crazy: Thinks it perfectly normal that he wants to kill everything.
- Blood Knight: And thus uses that he wants to kill everything to validate his own existence.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Naturally, his primary weapon is sand.
- Foil: To Naruto, natch.
- Graceful Loser: He's more curious about Naruto than pissed he didn't get to kill him.
- Hidden Depths: He's essentially a prince of the Sand Village and on the rare occasion he's not behaving like a stoic Serial Killer or an overzealous Serial Killer, he can present and conduct himself as one.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: He takes an immediate interest to Naruto on their first encounter due to their similar circumstances, and even goes so far as to delay leaving the Forest of Death for several days just so he can have a chance at killing him.
- Pet the Dog/Pragmatic Villainy: The latter is when he formally surrenders to Naruto in chapter 18 because he realizes that just because Naruto doesn't want to kill him doesn't meant he can't and wouldn't if he feels he has to. The former comes in because his surrender means his siblings no longer have to fight and possibly be killed by Team 8 for his sake.
- Sealed Evil in a Can
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: Is completely nonplussed by the thought that his siblings would fight Team 8 and Shikamaru to rescue him in spite of what he is and how he treats them.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds