open/close all folders
Tales of Rebirth. Veigue is a distant person of few words, but he softens up when around his childhood sweetheart Claire. Having grown up in Sulz, a village that treated Huma and Gajuma as equals, he is unaware of the racism that runs outside of his home. He possesses the Force of Ice.
- Blue Oni: His sullen and taciturn persona is presented as a contrast to both Mao and Tytree's sunny dispositions.
- BFS His sword is exceptionally large by Tales protagonist standards.
- Bonus Boss: He makes an appearance as a cameo boss in Tales of Graces.
- Cruel Mercy: Does this to Saleh. After Saleh's final defeat in battle, he wanted Veigue to finish the job, but Veigue — deciding that Saleh wasn't even worth killing — ignored him.
- Deadpan Snarker: Especially towards Tytree. He repeatedly points out how talkative Tytree can get.
- Demoted to Extra: He's the frigging hero of Rebirth, yet he's mostly not included in spinoff games while his friends get in first. Case in points: Radiant Mythology 1 and Versus.
- Defrosting Ice King: He starts off very cold and taciturn, but slowly warms up to the party and lets his emotions show.
- Determinator: When it comes to rescuing Claire. Mao and Eugene often have to get angry at him just to make him rest or take a break from trying to rescue her.
- Flanderization: His original characterisation was The Stoic, but fandom tends to remember him as "that guy who yells "CLAIREEEEEEEEEEE!!!". This quickly reached Ascended Meme status, and in every Viva! Tales Of omake video, his original character is completely replaced by "yelling Claire's name a lot". See here.
- An Ice Person: Though his force of ice is actually counted as water elemental in the game. He gets a couple of wind and light Altered Artes when equipped with the appropriate spirit talisman.
- It Has Been an Honor: He tells Tytree as much during the final dungeon.
- Like Brother and Sister: When Tytree calls Claire his girlfriend, Veigue claims she is simply a childhood friend who later became his family. However, there are plenty of hints that their feelings may actually be romantic.
- Loners Are Freaks: His tendency to keep everything to himself leads to his Force going out of control and making Claire feel terrible. Tytree even notes that punches are the only way to get through to Veigue.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Deconstructed. The Body Swap between Claire and Agarte puts strain on his mind, causing him to find differentiating the two difficult. This leads to his Force going out of control and prompts his friends to beat some sense back into him. Once it's over, Claire runs off in order to avoid hurting him anymore. Which just makes it worse.
- Memetic Mutation: His Say My Name tendencies almost rivals Suiseiseki. Well, almost... Also? If the PSP port's bonus DVD is anything to by, his friends treat it as an in-universe example.
- Mighty Glacier: His attack and defense are both high, but his attack speed and FG recovery are lower than the rest of the party. One of his refining skills that increases his speed can turn him into a Jack-of-All-Stats.
- Punny Name: His name is a play of the word 'Vague'.
- Reused Character Design: Mao notes his resemblance to Woodrow/Garr (who was also designed by Mutsumi Inomata) in the "Dramatic Peach Pie" DVD. In the remake of Tales of Destiny, there's a sidequest where people constantly mistake Woodrow for Veigue.
- Say My Name: CLAIREEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
- Shout-Out: His Hi-Ougi with Hilda, Celsius Calibur, makes his sword looks like BFS version of Soul Calibur. Add to the fact that Veigue is voiced by the guy who voiced Siegfried...
- The Stoic: His expression fails to change unless Claire is involved.
- Not So Stoic: What happens when Claire is involved.
"The outside isn't important. What matters the most, is what's inside your heart."Veigue's childhood sweetheart, whose family adopted the boy as a young orphan. Claire is a beautiful, kind-hearted and optimistic Huma. She possesses no Force and does not participate in battle.
Voiced by: Mio Yasuda
- Body Swap: Switches bodies with Agarte after the first act of the game.
- The Chick: No matter what happens, Claire always has the ability to lift the mood. Her side of the events shows her trying to lift the other girls' spirits, and they later thank her for it repeatedly.
- Disposable Woman: Zigzagged. In the beginning, her role is basically as a Plot Device to motivate Veigue into action, but she eventually comes to be the person who puts Agarte on the path to Character Development.
- Distressed Damsel: Saleh kidnaps her within ten minutes after the beginning of the game. The first act is spent trying to get her back.
- Harmless Freezing: Courtesy of Veigue's Force going out of control at the beginning of the game. She's perfectly fine when Mao melts the ice, however.
- Human Popsicle: She was accidentally turned into one for a year by Veigue.
- The Load: When she travels with the party, she is treated as a guest character of sorts. She has titles and a description in the status screen, but never appears in combat.
- Name's the Same: As a certain regenerating cheerleader in Heroes.
- Non Action Girl: Justified. She has no Force and no military training. It's kind of impossible for her to fight anyone. That's not to say she doesn't stand up to anyone at all, though.
- Noodle People: But only in her official art. Outside of it, she's reasonably proportioned.
- Plucky Girl: During her kidnapping, she managed to keep her composure against Saleh. Oh, and then? She delivered a speech about the The Power of Love and The Power of Friendship to a crowd of angry villagers who intended to behead her... and then she decides to accompany the party into an Eldritch Location to take on the Final Boss despite the fact that she can't fight in order to support her friends. Non Action Chick she may be, but she's got ovaries of adamantium!
- Punny Name: Her name is a play of the word 'Clear'.
- Purity Personified: Nothing can shake her belief that people are the same and racial differences are essentially meaningless. Even Tytree and Eugene waver when presented with a trial, but Claire remains steadfast in her determination at the face of getting beheaded.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Despite all the things she goes through, her idealism is not actually shattered.
"The past isn't important. The future is!... Heh heh."A young Huma boy with the Force of Fire. Mao has no memories of his past, and after being found wandering in Callegea Castle by Eugene, was taken into his care. Mao usually serves as the mood-maker of the group, and loves to sing. He is primarily a mage, specialising in Fire, Wind and Dark magic.Tropes associated with Mao:
Voiced by: Akeno Watanabe
- Amnesiacs Are Innocent/Children Are Innocent: Hilda and Tytree sometimes tease him about his lack of understanding when it comes to their interactions. The Sacred Beasts specifically made him like this in order to choose his own life.
- Artificial Human: Mao was created by the Sacred Beasts (specifically Fenia) as a being to observe people up close and determine whether they can carve their destiny.
- Badass Adorable: His cute act belies his ability to throw fireballs and dragons made of dark energy on the enemy's face.
- Berserk Button: He doesn't like being treated like a kid, and tends to throw a "siscon" insult on Tytree when the latter teases him.
- The Chick: He tends to be the mood maker and emotional center of the team.
- Elemental Powers: The Force of Fire, but he also has access to wind spells that tend to make the enemy change lines, and Darkness spells.
- Fiery Redhead
- Fun Personified: By far the perkiest person in the group, as evidenced by skits where he sings, tells scary stories and talks about food.
- Grand Theft Me: Mao is often subjected to this with the Sacred Beasts. Especially Shaorune.
- Little Mister Snarker: He gets some surprisingly smarmy lines in here and there, especially when speaking with Tytree.
- Magic Knight: One of his refining skills raises his attack value to the point it is equal to Veigue. Sadly, it doesn't last long.
- Meaningful Name:
- "Mao" means "nothing, void" in Ancient Callegean. Eugene gave him the name because no one knew anything about him, and because, as a blank slate, Mao is full of possibilities.
- "Orselg" means "Untainted Eye", signifying how Mao is innocent of any wordly knowledge and the Sacred Beasts' attempt to view society through the eyes of someone completely impartial.
- Sensor Character: Only narratively. He can detect Force reactions with his Force Cube. Veigue takes him along during an early dungeon for this reason.
- Shipper on Deck: Implies more than once that he's one for Tytree x Hilda.
- Tagalong Kid: Wherever Eugene goes, Mao follows.
- Zettai Ryouki
"I'm not impressed that you answered my question with a question."A Panther Gajuma, Eugene is a powerful melee warrior with the Force of Steel. He was once a high-ranking general in the Callegia Kingdom Army, until the day that he was accused of the murder of a respected Kingdom doctor. Eugene admitted responsibility and the exile that followed, later working outside the system to discover the truth behind the suspicious actions of Agarte.Tropes associated with Eugene:
Voiced by: Unshou Ishizuka
- The Atoner: His whole motivation is to make up for killing Barrs and find out just what happened to him.
- Badass Adorable: While his actual "adorability" is doubtable, in Radiant Mythology, Tear describes him as "big, fluffy and cute" and desperately wants to hug him
- The Big Guy and The Smart Guy
- Blade on a Stick
- Cool Old Guy
- Death Seeker: He offers to let Annie kill him to avenge Doctor Barrs once his investigation is complete. The Power of Friendship ultimately wins, however.
- Elemental Powers:
- Fantastic Racism: He's a victim of it from Annie. He later develops a Superpowered Evil Side that is very racist and more or less wants to eradicate all Humas, although he does his best to keep it at bay until the power of Randgriz helps him to vanquish it completely.
- Genius Bruiser
- Lightning Bruiser: He's the token big guy but he attacks faster than Veigue.
- Panthera Awesome
- Promotion to Parent: He's pretty much Mao's father figure.
- Scary Black Man: Subverted. He has black furs, his voice is rather gruff that makes him gives out this vibe (doesn't help that he is voiced by Unshou Ishizuka, voice behind another Scary Black Man: Jet Black. However, not only he is calm (if he's not berserked), he's one of the most sensible, amiable and forgiving party member).
- Static Character: Lampshaded in a skit. Everyone else goes through Character Development, Eugene is the one who's still the Cool Old Guy Team Dad at the end of the story. He's okay with that.
- Superpowered Evil and Racist Side: Thanks to Geyorkias... The Power of Friendship helps him to defeat it, however.
- Team Dad: Lampshaded by Mao.
- Tragic Hero
- Unstoppable Rage: As a result of Geyorkias' power going haywire, he ends up developing a Superpowered Evil Side that he keeps at bay by murdering the bajeezus out of Viruses.
- Walking the Earth: What he does after exile and the ending.
"I will avenge my father, no matter what it takes."A Huma teenager with the Force of Rain. She is the daughter of Doctor Barrs, a respected Kingdom doctor who was supposedly murdered by Eugene. Because of this, Annie despises all Gajuma and is on a mission to avenge her father's death.Tropes associated with Annie:
Voiced by: Akiko Yajima
- Bare Your Midriff
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Annie starts out very much hating Gajumas and especially Eugene, who often receives many harsh comments from her. Eventually, during the quest, she stops hating him and becomes more friendly with him.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Whenever Eugene shows her sympathy. This fades away once she starts to warm up to him and realizes what he did was entirely justified in the circumstances.
- Elemental Powers: She has all of the main six elements via her Status Buff artes.
- Blow You Away: Charge Wind. And she eventually inherits Wontiga's power.
- Casting a Shadow: Mind Geist.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Life Materia.
- Light 'em Up: Resist Wille.
- Making a Splash: Her power is the Force of Rain. All of her Fusion artes are visualized with rains. Also, Guard Wasser.
- Playing with Fire: Power Kraft.
- Fantastic Racism: Her desire to avenge her father by killing Eugene quickly turns into a hatred of all Gajumas.
- Generation Xerox: She's a healer, like her father... although she uses what is basically magic rather than science to do the job.
- Get A Hold Of Yourself Man: One of the uses of Force of Rain is to calm an angered person.
- Gratuitous English AND Gratuitous German: All of her artes are named in this way, with the exception of Charge Wind.
- Knife Nut: In the beginning, although she quickly ditched them for a Simple Staff.
- Ill Girl: Her immune system is noticeably weak. At one point she is infected with an illness so bad that the party have to stop what they're doing and search for a cure.
- Irony: The Ill Girl is the best medic. Huh.
- The Medic
- My God, What Have I Done?: She eventually comes to realize that she's been a total ass towards Gajumas and especially Eugene and makes a tearful apology to him.
- Simple Staff
- Status Buff
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Tries to give Veigue one for siding with the Gajuma in Minal, only for him to counter with his own "The Reason You Suck" Speech over how she's condemning an entire race for the crimes of one of their number.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Like Tear, Annie is afraid of ghosts. "Mao's Scary Story" skits poke fun at this.
- You Killed My Father
Someone like you who takes pleasure in trampling on the hearts of others will never ever understand! The human heart... the feelings that people have are stronger than anything else!! Remember that!!A Hot-Blooded Huma labourer with the Force of Plant. When Tytree's beloved sister is kidnapped by the Four Stars, his Force goes berserk until brought under control by Veigue's party. Tytree joins up to help rescue his sister, and immediately becomes one of the most positive members of the party, believing in the power of justice and equality between races.Tropes associated with Tytree:
Voiced by: Kappei Yamaguchi
- Accidental Pervert: He sometimes uses the worst possible synonym for a word rather than the obvious choice (like 'hentai' instead of 'henshin' for 'transform', while the word is more often associated with another meaning).
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Complimenting his moveset are kicks and a crossbow.
- Crazy Awesome: Deliberately invoked. From a combat standpoint, this guy is just amazing. He's expert in hand-to-hand combat, can create geysers by uppercutting or small tremors by hitting the ground, and even has a bow-gauntlet that can shoot lasers. Not to mention he's one of the more lighthearted members of the party... Oh, yeah, and did we also mention that he's one of the single most awesomely cool, friendly and affable dudes around? Sadly, however, Rebirth is one of the Darker and Edgier Tales games (complete with Bittersweet Ending) and so, for all his awesomeness, Tytree can't solve quite as many problems as he wishes he could.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Out of all the heroes, he's the first one chosen to wield the power of a Sacred Beast: specifically the power of darkness.
- Deadpan Snarker: Mostly after battle.
- Duel Boss: He started the trend for Tales heroes to fight a rival to a remix of the opening theme.
- Elemental Powers:
- Fragile Speedster: He is the fastest party member and can pin enemies on the spot very well, but his durability is limited.
- Get A Hold Of Yourself Man: His legendary "socking" scene with Veigue.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: But supplemented with a bow gauntlet. Somehow.
- The Heart: He's often the one who rallies and motivates the party with his talk of equality and general hot bloodedness.
- Idiot Hero: In a change from usual Tales games, Tytree is an Idiot Hero but not the main character.
- Improbable Weapon User: Uses Good Old Fisticuffs with a bow-gauntlet.
- Justice Will Prevail: Doesn't spout about justice much, but his actions and attitude clearly screams this.
- Lampshade Hanging: Several of his artes use the Kanji for "stupid". Huh...
- Large Ham: Gives Stahn a run for his money.
- Lethal Chef: Well, his food tastes good... But he tends to make it with rotten or poisonous ingredients, mistaking them for good ones.
- Likes Older Women: Possibly... Mao likes to tease him about having a thing for Hilda, but he denies it.
- Little Brother Instinct: "Siscon/Sister Complex" is one of his traits.
- Love Freak
- The Power of Friendship: One of his main weapons.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Actually delivers a heroic version to Saleh. Except that it doesn't really work...
- Red Oni: To Veigue's Blue.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Veigue. Usually Veigue is the vitriolic one, offering him a lot of snark, but when Tytree gets pissed...
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: Name a single problem he doesn't try to solve through some form of shouting heroic things. We'll wait.
- Wild Hair
"Neither Huma nor Gajuma will accept a Half like me. But I will definitely make Tohma pay!"A mysterious wandering fortune teller. She first meets the party as an adversary working for the Four Stars under Tohma, only to be betrayed. Though mature and intelligent, Hilda holds a particularly bitter viewpoint of the world and a tormented past. She possesses the Force of Lightning.Tropes associated with Hilda:
Voiced by: Sayaka Ohara
- All of the Other Reindeer: As a Half, she is discriminated against by both Huma and Gajuma. Suffered this during childhood, and remains one of her main problems throughout the game.
- Bolt of Divine Retribution: Divine Saber, which she gains through her Sacred Beast trial to obliterate her Enemy Without.
- Break the Cutie: Her entire backstory is just one long series of cutie-breaking moments.
- Broken Bird: Discrimination, abandonment, rejection...you name it. Hilda has gone through it all.
- Cool Big Sis: Subverted. Her emotional issues mean that she's not quite as "cool" as Annie seems to think she is. She eventually matures into the real deal.
- Defeat Means Friendship: How she's recruited into the party.
- Elemental Powers: Her main element is lightning, but she also uses earth and water spells. Her Arcane Artes include ice, a fusion of water and earth. She also inherits Gillione's power.
- Enemy Without: Her Sacred Beast trial involves her fighting the manifestation of all her darker emotions. She eventually nukes it with Divine Saber.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Offspring of a Huma and Gajuma, called a Half. She looks human, though she has an antelope's ears and horns.
- Interspecies Romance: Revealed in her backstory. She had a crush on a Huma, who refused to be with her because of the racial difference. It led to her cutting off her horns.
- Lady of Black Magic: Elegant and composed (most of the time), with the most powerful offensive spells in the game. Her great range is counterbalanced by her long casting times.
- Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal: And how. She's left for dead and told she'd worthless before defecting to the protagonists' side.
- Nice Hat: It's actually used to cover up her Half nature.
- Squishy Wizard: Along with Annie, she has the lowest defence in the game. Her Lightning Rod ability at least prevents enemy combos on her.
- The Stoic
- Tarot Motifs: One of the main aspects of her character Her old and very valuable cards are all she has left from her family.
- Tykebomb: Tohma trains her to be one.
- The Woobie: Ultimately defied in-universe by the end of the game, when she takes a confident and very heroic "Don't You Dare Pity Me!" attitude towards her status as a Half.
- "World of Cardboard" Speech: Gives a truly heartwarming one at the end of the game when she decides that she won't hide her status as a Half and will live proudly and openly from now on.
- You Killed My Father: She eventually learns that Tohma murdered her parents so he could use her as his Tykebomb. She is pissed when she discovers it.
Kingdom of Callegea
A cat Gajuma, and the current ruler of the Kingdom of Callegea. She inherited the throne after the death of her father, King Ladras Lindblum. On her orders, the Four Stars kidnap the most beautiful Huma girls across the kingdom and imprison them in her castle. She is in love with her general, Milhaust Selkirk, but dares not voice her affection.She possesses the Force of Moon, which can be used to swap bodies with someone. At the urging of Zilva, she sought to use her Force to obtain a Huma body, as she believed that it was impossible for a Gajuma and a Huma to become romantically involved and that becoming a Huma was the only way she could be together with Milhaust.
- Bodyguard Crush: With disastrous consequences.
- Body Swap: A power of the Force of Moon. She successfully swaps with Claire at the end of the first act, and pretty much becomes the main female protagonist until the end of the game.
- Brought Down to Normal: Due to Milhaust's rejection of her and realizing she has put Claire through hell, she loses her powers until the very end.
- Cat Girl: As a Cat Gajuma.
- Costume Porn: Just look at it! She has bunches of grapes hanging from her earlobes, for God's sake!
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Due to her selfish attitude and disinterest in anything not having to do with her love.
- Guest Star Party Member: Though she doesn't do any fighting, she has a status screen and titles when she's in the party.
- Heroic Sacrifice/Redemption Equals Death: She expends her Force of Moon in the game's end to save the world.
- It's All About Me: In the first half. She gets better about this in the end.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: She's on the receiving end of one from Milhaust, who threatens to kill her if she ever comes back to the castle (in Claire's body).
- The Load: Despite having the Force of Moon, she never participates in battle.
- Love Makes You Evil: Her whole motivation is to gain Milhaust's love by switching bodies with a beautiful Huma girl. It doesn't work at all how she expected.
- Lunacy: Her Force of Moon.
- Love Ruins the Realm: Her love for Milhaust almost brought down her kingdom due to making her irresponsible and naive.
- Pimped-Out Dress
- Royal Brat: In the first half.
- Unwitting Pawn: Zilva's.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
"A wavering heart begets a hesitant sword."The general of the Callegea Kingdom Army. Milhaust is possibly the most powerful Huma soldier in the world; possessing unmatched prowess in battle despite having no Force. He is a good and honourable man who serves his kingdom faithfully and although his duty sometimes brings him into conflict with Veigue and his party, their encounters are rarely antagonistic.
Voiced by: Shinichiro Miki
- The Ace: Zigzagged. He starts out as one, then his wavering resolve puts him on the path to being a Broken Ace, then he starts to get on back on track by the game's ending.
- Badass Normal: And how. He's a Huma with no Force, he can easily own Veigue and has his own solo Hi-Ougi in a game where Hi-Ougis are done between two people.
- Bodyguard Crush: Implied to have one on Agarte as the ending draws closer.
- Duel Boss: Given away by the Spoiler Opening.
- Foil: To Veigue. Both are dedicated to a woman in their lives, first out of a sense of duty and later out of love. Also, on a more superficial level, they both wield greatswords.
- Helmets Are Hardly Heroic: Averted. He never fights without his helmet on and his visor down.
- I Let You Win: Veigue realises after their final confrontation that Milhaust was holding back; his own conflicted heart preventing him from fighting at full strength.
- Knight in Shining Armor
- My Country, Right or Wrong
- My God, What Have I Done?: When he realizes he didn't recognize Agarte in Claire's body and threatened to put his queen to death.
- The Rival: To Veigue.
- Shadow Archetype: Zigzagged. In the beginning of the game's second half, Veigue effectively becomes his due to his conflicting ideals about how to protect Claire whereas Milhaust always seems to know exactly what to do about everything. By the end, the roles are reversed as Veigue gets over his issues and Milhaust becomes clouded with doubts.
"Scum like you have no place in my world."The senior advisor and confidant to Agarte Lindblum. Prior to this, she served the previous king- Agarte's father-in the same role up until his death.
Voiced by: Mari Mashiba
- Bastard Bastard: She's revealed to have royal blood in the end, and the Force of Moon.
- Big Bad: Despite not being the Final Boss.
- Body Swap: She used the Force of Moon to switch bodies with Doctor Barrs to ensure Eugene's expulsion from the military and Barrs' death.
- The Consigliere: Her role to Agarte. Except she's actually the Man Behind the Man.
- Evil Chancellor: She's one.
- Fantastic Racism: He entire raison d'etre.
- Final Solution: Her plan for the Humas.
- Freudian Excuse: Subverted. She doesn't have one beyond being a racist bitch, making her a rarity for the Tales series.
- Horned Humanoid
- Lunacy: She also possesses the Force of Moon.
- Kill 'em All: What she hopes to do to the Humas.
- Woman Behind The Woman
- Manipulative Bitch: A huge one.
The Four Stars
The Four Stars are an elite division of the Callegea Kingdom Army who serve directly under Agarte Lindblum. Their actions frequently place them in an antagonistic role against Veigue and his party.
- Co-Dragons: Collectively serve as this to Agarte. But actually Zilva.
- Dual Boss: They love pulling Veigue's party into these. The final confrontation with them is against all four at once.
- Leitmotif: "Scutum", which comes in multiple flavours depending on the mood of the scene, including two battle mixes.
"Claire, Claire, Claire! ...You sound like an idiot!"A cruel Huma who delights in causing suffering to others. He possesses the Force of Storm and is partnered with Tohma.
Voiced by: Masami Kikuchi
- The Brute
- Boomerang Bigot: He is part of the Four Stars, led by Zilva, a Gajuma who wishes to revive the Sacred Beast Geyorgyas to destroy all Huma. He is a Huma. He sees absolutely nothing wrong with this, and is even surprised when his partner, Tohma, kills him on Zilva's orders to start the massacre.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: It's not as visible as Millitsa's, but definitely prominent in some of his art.
- Elemental Powers:
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Saleh suffers a lot from this. It's why Tytree's "The Reason You Suck" Speech has no positive effect on him, and why he suffers a minor Villainous Breakdown after Veigue spares his life.
- Evil Gloating: For the first half, Saleh was just content at being a normally smug bastard. In the second half, after being given "The Reason You Suck" Speech by Tytree, Saleh took it at heart and... decided that he will keep gloating on how stupid 'human heart' is and it only serves to be crushed for his amusement... and he'll make sure that Veigue's party will see to it.
- For the Evulz: Pretty much his hobby is 'making a lot of people suffer'.
- Gratuitous German: While almost all of his artes are written with the same names they usually have in other Tales games, his Limit Break, "Steif Brise" is written in German for no good reason, with both words meaning "stiff" and "breeze" respectively. This is mitigated in the English release of Tales of Link, where its named "Stiff Breeze", appropriately.
- Jerk Ass: He's pretty much a jerk for no reason other than it makes him happy to see others suffer.
- Smug Snake
- Villain Ball: He really should have seen his eventual demise coming, being the only Huma in an organisation whose goal was to eradicate all Huma. Then again, this is Saleh we're talking about.
- Would Hurt a Child: In a flashback, he's shown to have almost killed Mao on the Dusk of Ladras, and was only stopped by Eugene getting in the way of his attacks.
"I've no use for weaklings."A brutish bull Gajuma who hides an evil, manipulative intellect. He possesses the Force of Magnet and is partnered with Saleh.
Voiced by: Daisuke Gori
- A Load of Bull
- Bare-Fisted Monk
- Break the Cutie: To Militsa and Hilda.
- Elemental Powers:
- The Evil Genius
- Evil Laugh
- Evil Sounds Deep
- Genius Bruiser
- Horned Humanoid
- Manipulative Bastard
- Moral Event Horizon: In-universe, the party considers his treatment of Hilda to be this. Her backstory, however, reveals that he never crossed it. He's so evil he must have been ''born on the far fucking end of it.
- More Than Mind Control: His favourite method of manipulation.
- Obviously Evil
- Trying to Catch Me Fighting Dirty: He fought very dirty against Hilda's father, killing him with one blow of Force instantly. Hilda's father had no powers at all.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: He really lost the Superpower Lottery with his Force of Magnetism, but more than makes up for it with his brute strength and intellect.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: He pulls this on Hilda... and, later, Saleh.
''"There is no place for a Half in this world."A Half who serves in the Four Stars. Though a kind friend to Hilda, she is slavishly dedicated to the Four Stars as she believes (due to the brainwashing of Tohma) that it is the only place a Half can be accepted. She possesses the Force of Rainbow and is partnered with Waltu.
Voiced by: Yuko Mizutani
- Broken Bird
- Cute Monster Girl
- The Dark Chick
- Doppelgänger Attack: The main power of her Force.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness
- Elemental Powers:
- Evil Counterpart: To Hilda, though played with in that they start on the same side.
- Fighting Your Friend: To Hilda.
- Knife Nut
- Half-Human Hybrid
- Horned Humanoid
- Parental Abandonment: An optional scene found in the desert before meeting Hilda's mother reveals she was abandoned there as a child.
- Phantom Zone: Another power of her Force is the ability to teleport herself and others to an Amazing Technicolor Battlefield.
- Power Floats
- Undying Loyalty: To the Four Stars, as a result of Tohma's brainwashing.
"I have sworn an oath of loyalty to Callegea. Even if it is the Commander, I cannot overlook someone who has turned his back on his country."A bat Gajuma who is good friends with Eugene. He is an honourable man who fights in the name of the Kingdom of Callegea. He possesses the Force of Sound and is partnered with Militsa.
Voiced by: Hochu Otsuka
- Anti-Villain: By far the most sensible and reasoned member of the Four Stars. It's no surprise that he's the first to Heel–Face Turn.
- Token Good Teammate: Probably because he answers more towards Milhaust, and is last seen rebuilding Callegea with him
- Bad Powers, Good People: He's got friggin' Mind Control as a power, yet he's still an unambiguously good person.
- Black Eyes of Evil: Subverted. He's the Token Good Teammate.
- The Dragon: Due to being the most senior soldier. Noble Top Enforcer is in full effect.
- Honor Before Reason
- Mind Control: His Force can be used to control Huma, but he prefers not to use it if he doesn't have to.
- My Country, Right or Wrong: He knows Agarte's acting oddly, but he'll obey her for the good of the country right or wrong.
- Noble Demon
- Noble Top Enforcer
- Obviously Evil: Subverted. He's probably the single nicest and most affable baddie in the game. If Lawful Good has a face in Rebirth, it's Waltu.
"My duty is to deliver peace to this earth. To that end, I will eradicate all Humas."The King of the Sacred Beasts. He believes that the Huma race is the source of all evil in the world, and wishes to wipe them out completely.
Voiced by: Kenyuu Horiuchi
- Barrier Maiden: Turns out that he and the other Sacred Beasts have been working overtime to keep Yuris in check.
- Beam Spam: Uses variations of it to cover the whole stage. The simplest version covers only one line, but he can also shoot one that covers all lines at the edge.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Thanks to the influence of Yuris.
- Disc One Final Boss: His defeat comes at the climax of act 1. In true Tales fashion, there is a lot more to do after that.
- Dual Boss: His complete form serves alongside Zilva as a Bonus Boss in Cyglorg's Chambers.
- Light 'em Up: His special attack, Severity Overlord. It's unavoidable and hits for tons of damage, so expect a Total Party Kill without an invincibility recipe or guarding.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Not once, but twice. His actions were meant to prevent the world from falling into chaos, and he believes the issue would be solved if only one race remained. He tried the same thing during the ancient war. The reason he intends to wipe out Huma in particular is because they attempted to enslave the Gajuma and caused the ancient war to break out.
YurisA being of darkness created from the negative thoughts of Huma and Gajuma. If left unchecked, its power could grow to consume the world entirely.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Of racism.
- As Long as There Is Evil: The Sacred Beasts warn that it might rise again if the feelings that gave birth to it should grow out of control.
- Beam Spam: Always starts the battle with one. It uses a less powerful version throughout the first half of the fight, but at lower HP, its beams hit a very large area.
- Eldritch Abomination
- Elemental Powers: Capable of using the Prism Stars, Shining Gate, Nova Explosion and Dimensional Material Maxwell extensions, though not consecutively. Its perpetual eye mooks also use high-level elemental spells.
- Flunky Boss: Yuris is one of the few enemies that is entirely static. To compensate for that, it summons eyeballs named "Yuris's Eyes" at set intervals. When its HP drops, the number of eyes increases, and they begin casting high level spells.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: His presence is only revealed in the last act of the game.
- Hate Plague
- The Heartless
- Sealed Evil in a Can: His influence is suppressed by the Force of Moon and the Sacred Beasts. A sidequest reveals it is sealed inside a royal jewel called "The Moon of Goldoba.".
- The Speechless: Yuris does not make any sound, not even during the final battle. The only time sound effects are present is during the time it is summoned, and it sounds more like unintelligible hissing.