Characters: Inu Yasha Naraku And Incarnations
Tropes Associated With Naraku and Incarnations
open/close all folders
The main villain of the series, a youkai of strange and mysterious origins. He seeks to obtain and corrupt the Shikon Jewel, and uses extremely manipulative tactics in order to pursue that goal, proving to have a hand in nearly everything bad that happens over the course of the series.
- 0% Approval Rating: He doesn't even try to get people to like him. There is exactly one character in the entire series, excepting those of his detachments who died way too fast to form any opinion, who doesn't hate Naraku or attempt to turn on him at some point - Byakuya.
- Actually A Doom Bot: Very often in the earlier arcs, where he'll left a kugustu (earth puppet) to fight the heroes instead of him.
- And Your Little Dog Too: LOVES taunting his victims/enemies about what he'll do to them
- Animal Motifs: Spiders
- The Assimilator: To demons and the parts he spits out can become individuals to protect him, which he can re-assimilate if they step out of line
- Attack Reflector: His barriers develop this ability in Mt. Hakurei.
- Badass: After Mt. Hakurei, he goes from a manipulator to a Smug Super.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: When he's exposed and not in Body Horror form
- Big Bad: He's the primary villain the heroes face because his Evil Plan to corrupt the Sacred Jewel infects every other villain and most of their adventures. Until the Sacred Jewel reveals itself to be the True Final Boss.
- Bishōnen: In spite of all of his disgusting deeds, he's this in his Kagewaki guise.
- Black Magic: How he create replicas via voodoo like dolls and combine demons to merge with himself in order to separate
- Body Horror: Whenever he tries to reform, it is usually a mashup of the demons he's absorbed so far.
- Body of Bodies: His half demon form during his period of weakness results in a writhing pile of randomly placed demonic body parts with his human head dangling in the middle of the mess. He also use a spell called Kodoku to make a new body using a similar body-merging technique with other demons.
- Breaking Speech: He loves to give this to whoever is listening. They normally end with a Shut Up, Hannibal!.
- The Chessmaster: Plays with everyone, sometimes so he can get more powerful, sometimes to get rid of his enemies, and sometimes just For the Evulz.
- Combat Tentacles: He can produce regenerative ones
- The Corrupter: To everyone.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: For all of his faults, he is smart enough to retreat whenever a fight goes against his way rather than fight a losing battle like his other enemies, he also aims to rid himself of his human heart so that Kikyo won't be his Morality Pet.
- Additionally he revives the Band of Seven and St. Hakushin specifically because they were all examples of Too Powerful to Live/Too Cool to Live so that they would give Inuyasha a hard time
- He also has Kagura's heart captive in order to prevent her from turning against him like some of her other siblings
- Divide and Conquer: He always tries to split the heroes, trying to put them against each other, or makes other villains fight them instead, including making detachments of himself to distract them.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: At one point, he is completely confused that, no matter what he makes the Brainwashed and Crazy Kohaku do, Sango simply refuses to kill him.
- Ultimately subverted when Kagome points out that he must have a pretty solid understanding of human bonds and their significance to sucessfully manipulate people as easily as he does, and that he could only do that because he was part human. Both she and Inuyasha declare that this makes his deeds especially unforgiveable since he must have known exactly what he was was doing to his victims.
- Evil Counterpart: To Inuyasha
- Evil Evolves: Each appearance shows a new form all the way to the climax. Its part of his Evil Plan. The form he took at the end of the Band of Seven arc was by far the most obvious point to this trope
- Evil Is Petty: His only real motivation is his love/hate feelings for Kikyo and pure hatred for Inuyasha, althought he doesn't want to admit that to himself. Even after discarding his human feelings, he had no real idea what he was going to do if he finally managed to end Inuyasha and his companions. But he still ruins or attempts to ruin lives of seemingly everyone he encounters For the Evulz.
- Evil Plan: He wants Kikyo but he also wants too taint the shikon Jewel with malice. So he does both at once.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Especially in the English dub
- Extra Eyes: After his upgrade in Mt. Hakurei, he has one eye on his chest and one eye on each hand.
- Eyes Do Not Belong There: See above.
- Fanservice: When not in Body Horror form.
- Faux Affably Evil: He speaks politely, but it's obvious that it's merely a sign of mockery, somewhat justified as his current disguise was a noble who used royal dialect.
- Drops it completely after Mt. Hakurei, taking a more Smug Super ego
- Flight: He uses clouds then self flight once he gets rid of his human heart.
- For the Evulz: If he's not going after the jewel shards or carrying out schemes against Inuyasha's group, he'll be ruining the lives of innocent people for fun.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Initially a crippled bandit whose lust for Kikyo led him to form a contract with demons and become Naraku, one of the most powerful and vicious beings.
- Fusion Dance: He's the result of a human merging with hundreds of youkai. And he's able to separate parts of them at will except for the human part since it's what keeps it all together, although in Mt. Hakurei he managed to at least separate his human heart and discard its human feelings.
- Grand Theft Me: When absorbed by his incarnations' creation, he just reverses the process on him.
- Giant Spider: His insignia, as well as the outer shell of his final form.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has a burn scar in his back in the form of a spider, part of the human Onigumo.
- Half-Human Hybrid: He tries to get rid of his human part and seems to succeed in Mt. Hakurei but eventually reabsorbes it.
- I Have Your Little Brother
- Invincible Villain: Especially after Mount Hakurei.
- Knight of Cerebus: After he's mentioned, the story, (while any plot involving him) becomes much more Darker and Edgier.
- Jekyll & Hyde: With Onigumo, the cruder, more hedonistic bandit who lusts for Kikyo.
- Let's You And Him Fight While I Watch From a Distance: Always trying to make everyone kill each other.
- Love Makes You Evil: He once was a human thief (Onigumo) who fell obsessively in love with Kikyo when she took care of him after he was burned to almost death, and when she rejected him, sold himself to demons to get her. Muso, one of his deattatchments, is his "human" heart and keeps the remnants of Onigumo's seriously twisted love for Kikyo.
- Lovecraftian Superpower: He often uses Combat Tentacles as well as other Body Horror powers, especially after Mt. Hakurei.
- The Man Behind the Man: Pretty much any antagonist the heroes ever run into can be traced back to Naraku somehow. And he has one... the demon inside the Shikon No Tama.
- Manipulative Bastard: Emphasis on the "manipulative." And the "bastard."
- Master of Illusion: Early on he used some vines that show the victims the negative aspects of their hearts.
- Meaningful Name: His original name, "Onigumo," means "demon-spider."
- Merger of Souls: Naraku was created when the deranged and perverse thief (and Kikyou's Stalker with a Crush) Onigumo merged with thousands of demons. And at one point in order to obtain a stronger body, he perfoms a Kodoku spell: thousands of fierce demons fight inside a cave in a mountain, and the winner absorb and merge with the losers. Eventually Naraku ends up absorbing the surviving demon in himself.
- Mr. Fanservice: When not in his Body Horror form.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast:"Naraku" refers to the Buddhist version of hell
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Almost every possible variation depending on which form his body has currently taken.
- Offing the Offspring: To the Infant, Kagura and Musou and the latter two were sympathetic
- One-Winged Angel: Has a Bishonen Line variation of the Evil Evolves, his most notable is becoming a full demon in a suit of demonic armor with three dragon tails with a long coat.
- Poisonous Person: His body is made of deadly miasma, so that Kirara get's poisoned after biting him.
- Poison Is Corrosive: His poison can dissolve things like Inu no Taiso's fang that kept Ryukotsusei's fang in check.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: He's the Big Bad and when his eyes glow, true nastiness is about to be unleashed.
- Shapeshifter Default Form: Kagewaki's appearance.
- Sissy Villain: Long hair, androgynous features... shapeshifted himself into a woman to distract Mirokus grandfather and into Kikyo to distract InuYasha
- Smug Super: Especially after Mt. Hakurei.
- The Sociopath: Other than power, he mainly does things For the Evulz.
- Super Smoke: Normally flees in a cloud of miasma.
- The Trickster: A very dark one.
- Took a Level in Badass: A villainous example who takes advantage of absorbing and throwing out demonic parts he needs or doesn't need so he becomes more powerful.
- Truly Single Parent: Of all his detachments.
- Villain Exit Stage Left: When he's about to lose, he'll make an escape.
- Villainous Crush: On Kikyo, thanks to his human heart. He tries to get rid of it.
- Villain Has a Point: While Kikyo's death and Inuyasha's sealing were his fault via slashing Kikyo disguised as Inuyasha causing the former to seal the latter and attacking Inuyasha in Kikyo's image, he did have a point in that they were quick to distrust each other and how easy it was to drive a wedge between them. This is a world where youkai have shown the ability to shapeshift into other people's forms or take control of people's bodies yet neither of these possibilities occurred to either one of them, instead the two of them willing to assume the worst of the other despite being lovers.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: In order to confuse and manipulate people in his way.
- Yandere: His Onigumo side loves Kikyou. His Naraku side wants to kill her. Both sides want to kill InuYasha.
Kanna is a "detachment" of Naraku, a creature created from his body. She appears to be an emotionless young girl with white hair, and uses a mirror which can monitor distant events, trap souls, and reflect energy back onto attackers.
Kagura, like Kanna, is a detachment of Naraku. She has power over wind, and unlike Kanna is more rebellious, with a will of her own. She serves Naraku only because he can kill her at any time, and hopes to be free of him someday.
Voiced by: Izumi Oogami (JP), Janyse Jaud
(EN), Diana Pérez (LA SP), Cinzia De Carolis (IT), Isabelle Bouchemaa (FR)
- Animal Motifs: The Spider, inherited from her "father"
- Animate Dead: Her wind can do this
- Anti-Hero: Type IV by the end of her Character Development.
- Big Sister Instinct: Before her death, she became very protective towards Kohaku; in the same way that his real sister Sango is. She also gets along fairly well with Kanna, though the same can't be said for any of her other "siblings".
- Black Mage
- Blow You Away: Can manipulate the wind, so much that in her first appearence she could even control the wind necessary for the Wind Scar.
- Broken Bird
- Clothing Damage: A lot.
- Combat Hand Fan: Her weapon of choice. She can use this to enhance her wind attacks.
- Dark Action Girl
- Does Not Like Shoes: Kagura is always barefoot, and there are plenty of closeups of her bare feet.
- Famous Last Words: "I am the Wind. The Free Wind"
- Femme Fatale: Of the morally conflicted type.
- Go Out with a Smile
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: She has Naraku's trademark spider mark on her back.
- High Heel-Face Turn: She even gets offered a spot with Inuyasha's group, but she declines. This offer may have saved her life. Temporarily.
- Hot Witch
- I Die Free
- I Just Want To Be Free
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Naraku was careful enough not to hurt her recently returned heart though.
- Implied Love Interest: While it isn't blatant enough to be Official Couple since there was no kissing or marriage or anything like that, there's plenty of implication with Sesshomaru.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: By the end of her Character Development.
- Lady of War: A powerful and graceful fighter.
- Magic Dance: How her attacks are named after dances.
- Ms. Fanservice: A rare villainous example.
- The Necromancer: Her "Shikabane no Mai" (Dance of Corpses), which she uses to manipulate dead people and even skeletons.
- Pet the Dog: Her later attitude towards Kohaku.
- Plucky Girl: Very grim version
- Pointy Ears
- Razor Wind: The usual, bullet like version (known as "Fujin no Mai", Wind Blades Dance) and the tornado-shaped version (Ryuuja no Mai, Dragon-Serpent Dance).
- Redemption Equals Death: A more tragic example.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Subverted. Although introduced as a villain, Character Development makes her an Anti-Villain who tries to help Inuyasha's group, supports Sesshoumaru, and who ends up having an Heroic Sacrifice to save Kohaku's life.
- Star-Making Role: For Izumi Oogami who isn't known much aside from this role.
- Tragic Villain
The third of Naraku's detachments, is a beastly-looking ogre with powerful fangs and the ability of reading minds. He destroy's Tessaiga with his fangs, but is slaughtered by Demon!InuYasha
. Later Sesshomaru revive his head so that his teeth can be used to forge Tokijin.
Voiced by: Masaharu Satoh (JP), Michael Kopsa
(EN), Roberto Mendiola (LA SP), Mario Bombardieri (IT)
- Blade Below the Shoulder: Has large, curved bones coming out of his arms.
- Break Them by Talking: Does this is to a pair of little siblings by describing how he ate their parents. Later he does this to the heroes, telling them how their tactis won't work and why.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Inflicts one to Inu Yasha's group thanks to his superior mind-reading powers.
- Evil Sounds Deep: with an addition of Voice of the Legion in the dub.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: First Inuyasha rips his arm off, then he proceed to claw at him so hard he rends him to pieces in one blow, tearing his spine out of his body.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Destroying Tessaiga allowed him to severely injure Inu Yasha, but also awoken his Super-Powered Evil Side.
- Horned Humanoid: It is implied that his appearance is based more on the assimilated demons than Naraku himself.
- Kick the Dog: Reads a couple of kids' minds in order to gloat over how he ate their parents.
- Knight of Cerebus: The first demon to force Inuyasha's demon blood to awaken and to break the Tessaiga, also one of the first demons to have their cruelty to played completely seriously without and having no redeeming traits.
- Lightning Bruiser: Despite being quite big, he's very fast.
- Mind Rape: Tries it with his Mind Reading powers.
- Mind Reading: How he predicts attacks, he can do some nasty Mind Rape and Breaking Speech to his victims.
- Meaningful Name: His name can be read as "Mind-Reading Ogre".
- Non-Standard Character Design: To further demonstrate the Knight of Cerebus, Goshinki is heavily shaded unlike most of the characters.
- Now That's Using Your Teeth: Manages to destroy Tessaiga's blade by biting it. Later his fangs are used by Kaijinbo to forge Sesshomaru's blade Tokijin.
- Oh Crap: When he realize that Demon!Inu Yasha's only thought is joy for the incoming massacre.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: The only incarnation to have completely red eyes, and he is a monster to the core.
- Telepathy: And he loves to use his powers to sadistically torture his victims and opponents.
- Top-Heavy Guy: His torso is very large compared to the rest of his body.
- Villainous Glutton: One who's favorite food happens to be people, but horses and cattle will do as well. Even lampshaded by Kagura during his introduction.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: While his purpose may have been just to destroy Tessaiga, it is very clear that before his immediate destruction, that he would've proven to be a powerful servant and enemy even more dangerous than both Kanna and Kagura due to the fact he has no moral restraints.
Juromaru and Kageromaru
The fourth and fifth detachment of Naraku. Juromaru is a pretty looking boy with white hair who behave like a beast. Kageromaru is a worm-like creature with scythes for arms who lives inside Juromaru's body and can talk. They're defeated by Inu Yasha and Koga's combined efforts.
- Blade Run: Juromaru stands on Tessaiga several times.
- The Brute: Juromaru.
- Dual Boss: Essentially what they are to Inu Yasha.
- Flat Character: The only reason of their existence is to offer some challenge to Inu Yasha, similar to Goshinki, but at least he had more sentience and personality than both of the duo.
- Fragile Speedster/Glass Cannon: Kageromaru is absurdly fast, but lacks stamina and is not very strong.
- Hit-and-Run Tactics: Kageromaru.
- Meaningful Name: Juromaru roughly means "Beast Boy", Kageromaru "Shadow Boy".
- No Body Left Behind: They're both turned into dust by the Wind Scar.
- The Speechless: Juromaru.
- The Starscream: The first thing that Juromaru does after being freed by the chains and mask is to behead Naraku's Kugustu. Heck, even when they were still a lump of lifeless flesh the first thing they did was to behead Naraku, they kill and devour some soldiers.
- Sinister Scythe: Kageromaru's arms.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Dies in his first appearance, but unlike Goshinki, he and his "twin" barely get any characterization
- White Hair, Black Heart
The sixth detachment of Naraku, appears as a faceless man born from a blob of flesh.
Voiced by: Hiroshi Yanaka (JP), Brian Dobson
(EN), Luis Daniel Ramírez (LA SP), Vittorio Guerrieri (IT)
Another detachment of Naraku, created in the depths of Mt. Hakurei.
Voiced by: Ai Kobayashi (JP), Chiara Zanni (EN), Héctor Emmanuel Gómez (LA SP), Stefano Mondini (IT)
After the Infant is split in half, one of the halves becomes Hakudoshi, a white-haired young boy with powers very much like Naraku's but had an agenda of his own.
Voiced by: Ai Kobayashi (JP), Chiara Zanni (EN), Héctor Emmanuel Gómez (LA SP), Stefano De Filippis (IT)
Naraku's final detachment, he appears to be a beautiful young man with a playful disposition. He is purely loyal to Naraku and has a wide variety of powers.
- Battle Butler: And loyal to Naraku to the death as well.
- Dull Surprise: Inuyasha's group react intensely as they realise Kanna's literally tearing herself to shreds to carry out the last order Naraku gives her. Byakuya's reaction is clinical. He simply assesses the situation as evidence of the lengths to which Naraku will make his detachments go and contemplates the likelihood that something like this will happen to him. It does.
- Eye Scream: He can detach his eye to spy others.
- Fantastically Indifferent: Like Kanna, his main purpose is to performa a specific duty for Naraku that will result in his death. Unlike Kanna, he remains loyal to the end and barely bats an eyelid over having to sacrifice himself.
- Foreshadowing: As he watches the manner in which Kanna dies, he contemplates that's his likely fate as well. He was right.
- Guyliner: Has lipstick.
- Just Following Orders: He tries to interfere with Sesshoumaru's pursuit of Mouryoumaru. When Sesshoumaru turns on him, he asks Sesshoumaru not to hate him because he's just doing his job, and then beats a hasty a retreat.
- Master of Illusion
- Mega Manning: The true purpose of his sword.
- Ornamental Weapon: Subverted. It's seemingly purely decorative, but turns out to have quite specific abilities.
- Paper Master
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: He comes in after Kagura's death, plays the same role she played, does the same things she did, and even looks and behaves like her. All except having that pesky personal desire of hers to be independent
- Teleporters and Transporters: One of his powers
- Undying Loyalty: The only one, possibly other than Goshinki to be fully loyal to Naraku