InuYasha the Movie: The Castle Beyond the Looking Glass
is the second InuYasha
movie, released in 2002.
The film begins with, amazingly enough, Inuyasha and co. finally killing Naraku, a belief enforced by the disappearance of Miroku's Wind Tunnel. Shortly afterwards, the group splits up, only to be brought back together when the demoness Kaguya steps up to the plate.Beware unmarked spoilers.
The Castle Beyond the Looking Glass contains examples of the following tropes:
- Art Shift: The character designs more closely resemble the manga than the anime.
- Brought Down to Normal: Miroku, of all people, when his Wind Tunnel is removed by Naraku.
- Canon Immigrant: The character Akitoki Hojo first appears in this film, and later makes an appearance in episode 137 of the anime.
- Cooldown Hug: Kagome gives one to Inuyasha while Kaguya is transforming him into her pure demon slave, complete with a kiss.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: When Naraku fights Kaguya, he proves no match for her and takes off, leaving Inuyasha and co. to finish her.
- Demoted to Extra: This is the only InuYasha movie in which Naraku makes any appearance. Even then, his only contribution to the plot is to fake his own death and then get his ass kicked by Kaguya.
- Faking the Dead: As it turns out, Naraku faked his demise to draw Kaguya out and absorb her. Let's just say it doesn't work out like he planned.
- The Fellowship Has Ended: After seemingly killing Naraku, Inuyasha's group splits up; Inuyasha, Kagome, and Shippo stick together to track down the remaining Shikon Jewel shards while Sango and Miroku go their own way. It doesn't last long, with Kaguya stepping up to the plate, along with the revelation that Naraku was faking it.
- Mind-Control Eyes: Inuyasha is forced to transform into a full demon by Kaguya, complete with the classic "eyes fade to red" effect.
- Shout-Out: When Akitoki Hojo is describing the monk who told his village about the celestial robe, the statue shown of the monk is Cherry from Urusei Yatsura
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Kagura and Kanna were sucked towards the bottom of a lake after being out-gambitted by the villain. We never learn what happened with them, if they drowned or escaped or what.