Characters: Brave 10
The Braves (In general)
- The Team: Their roles are thus.
Voiced by: Daisuke Ono
- Attack Reflector: His "Heaven's Return" technique.
- BFS / Black Swords Are Better: His Marishi-ten.
- Calling Your Attacks: "On,Marishi-ten Sowaka!", "Shunko!" "Ougi: Tenga Gaeshi" "Ninpou: Samidare!"
- Can't Hold His Liquor: He has some "tricks" to keep sober.
- Character Development: In the start of the series he was aloof, uncaring, aggressive, and hated the thought of working under a lord/being a Sanada's Brave. By the end, while not necessarily nice, he's far more gentle and calm, and openly admits liking being a Brave. Kakei even lampshades it when they were drinking in Jinpachi's ship, noting that he has become more gentle.
- Chick Magnet: Though he attracts not only chicks. Look below.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Receives THREE from Hanzo, and another one from Sasuke in their second fight. Gives one to Kamanosuke.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Kamanosuke certainly does.
- Flash Step: His "Shunko" technique. During his brief fight with Anastasia, he shows that he's capable of using a Flash Step without his Shunko, which is part of his "Hunter Falcons" technique.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Gets several ones in his body from his battles with Hanzo.
- Heroes Prefer Swords
- I Call It "Vera": Calls his sword "Marishi-ten Sowaka".
- If You Kill Him, You Will Be Just Like Him: Is stopped by Isanami from killing Kamanosuke when he had the latter in a Sword over Head position.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Light Is Not Good: More of light is not nice. Also, he dresses completely in black, and his sword is black too.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Only Sane Man: Divides this position with Rokuro, as amongst the braves, they are the most reasonable and down-to-earth ones. However, he's quite capable of having some fits of rage or bloodlust.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: He gets one during his fight with Kamanosuke.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- The Rival: Views Sasuke and Hanzo as his rivals. The former reciprocates. The latter thinks that Saizo is way out of his level for him (Hanzo) to consider him (Sasuke) a rival.
- Tsundere: Towards Isanami. It's more pronounced in the early chapters/episodes.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: He and Sasuke.
- Worf Effect: He's thrashed around by Hanzo in his three battles with the man, and by Sasuke during his "second fight" with him.
Voiced by: Rina Sato
- A-Cup Angst: Ironically she is far from being flat-chested. Too bad that other women in the series are much better endowed.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Her hair is dark green in the manga at first. She gets later recolored to cyan, and becomes almost white in the anime.
- Big Eater
- Can't Hold Her Liquor
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Towards Saizo. She combines this with No Sense of Personal Space.
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Distressed Damsel
- God in Human Form
- Hair Decoration: A jade headpiece that it's clearly more than for looks. Its name is the Kushimitama.
- Modesty Shorts
- Person of Mass Destruction
- Supernatural Gold Eyes
- Survivors Guilt: Her weak spot.
- Sweet Tooth
Voiced by: Toshiyuki Morikawa
- Bishōnen: More like biseinen but still.
- Cool Old Guy
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Strongly implied. He never really fights in the series, and the closest to one is when Masamune forces him to duel. Masamune is using a real katana, while the only "weapon" he has is his fan. Still, he holds his own quite easily, even blocking one strike with his sandals, but decides to throw the fight soon after, laughing all the way.
- Dirty Old Man: Combined with Lovable Sex Maniac.
- Guile Hero
- Obfuscating Stupidity: It's clear that he knows more than he lets on, that he's more powerful than it seems, and his cheerful persona is just a masquerade. Saizo openly criticizes him for it, but he just laughs it off. He's basically the Kisuke Urahara of the series.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Just ask Rokuro.
Voiced by: Hiroshi Kamiya
- Bare Your Midriff
- Battle Butler: He isn't exactly a butler, but fits this trope quite nicely.
- Even the Guys Want Him: It is made clear many times that men and women alike find him extremely attractive. Jinpachi's crew of pirates make it quite obvious that they would like him to get black out drunk.
- Eyepatch of Power
- Eye Scream: He pierces his eye with Anastasia's blade when she was trying to steal his eye, which contains valuable information.
- Making a Splash: He is the Brave that controls water. However, his use of it is quite uncommon, as he mixes water with shouts to create waves that incapacitate his enemies.
- Nice Guy
- Beware the Nice Ones: Kamanosuke and Saizo learned that the hard way.
- Only Sane Man: Divides this position with Saizo.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- Senseless Sacrifice: Tries to do one to slow down Isanami. Saizo stops him,though.
- The Stoic
- Not So Stoic: He smiles quite a few times in the series.
- Undying Loyalty: To Yukimura. Enough to sacrifice his eye so that the bad guys could not get the info contained on it.
Voiced by: Tetsuya Kakihara
- Badass: He's capable of fighting Saizo in equal footing.
Sasuke: The forest is my domain. Don't think you can go home alive.
- Badass Boast: Gives one to Oukatsu.
- The Beastmaster
- Big "NO!": When Kamanosuke asks him permission to skin his weasel to use it as a scarf.
- Calling Your Attacks
- Curb-Stomp Battle: While giving his Get a Hold of Yourself Man / "The Reason You Suck" Speech to Saizo, he and Saizo are fist-fighting. Sasuke downright trashes Saizo around to prove his point. Also, his battle in the forest with Oukatsu is implied to be one.
- Curtains Match the Window: Has orange hair and eyes.
- Cuteness Proximity: He's already friendly to animals, but when he meets Veronica, Jinpachi's panther, he's downright in love with her.
- Fire-Forged Friends: He and Saizo, though they wouldn't admit it.
- Friend to All Living Things: Comes with being The Beastmaster
- Get a Hold of Yourself Man: Gives one to Saizo.
- Heroic BSOD: Gets a brief one after Anastasia's betrayal.
- Implied Love Interest: Seems to have feelings for Isanami. But besides a few blushes, he never says anything about it.
- In-Series Nickname: Saizo calls him 'monkey' on regular basis, much to his annoyance.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Nice Hat
- Not Good with People: Is REALLY shy, and has a habit of leaving the scene when confronted.
- Terse Talker: Yukimura even comments that "he has never heard Sasuke talk much" when he was giving his speech to Saizo.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Beautifully mixed with his Get a Hold of Yourself Man speech.
- The Rival: Considers Saizo his rival. It's reciprocated.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: He and Saizo.
- Warrior Therapist: To Saizo, when the latter was having a Heroic BSOD.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Controls "grass" according to Yukimura.
Voiced by: Yuu Asakawa
- An Ice Person
- Berserk Button: Getting peeked in bath, of course. Not really, her real one is family. Due to her Dark and Troubled Past, Ana seriously hated the concept of 'family' and hanging around with the Braves pissed her to no end, it's surprising that she managed to keep that Cool Big Sis facade until her time of betrayal.
- Boobs of Steel
- Calling Your Attacks
- Combat Stilettos
- Cool Big Sis: For awhile. She deconstructs that when she betrayed the team.
- Dark Action Girl
- Dark and Troubled Past: She was a Russian little girl who got stuck in Japan, seeing her parents dead in the middle of snowstorm. Then the family heirloom got stolen by Hanzou and being taught with many dark teachings made Ana a real cold kunoichi.
- D-Cup Distress: When Isanami complains that her chest is small, Anastasia says that, for a kunoichi, being flat-chested was much more comfortable, but Isanami says that she should be proud of her size.
- Forced Into Evil: Zig-zagged. At first, Ana really was forced to do nefarious things by Hanzou against her will because that's the only way to retrieve her family heirloom. His dark teachings, however, influenced her enough that Ana didn't feel forced in being evil. However, Jinpachi can still sense she still feels kind of forced deep down.
- Good Bad Girl: More so in the manga than in the anime.
- Heel-Face Turn: The only one of Hanzou's five to be spared (because the one who fought her has hots on her), and once she learns that the heirloom that Hanzou used to make her do his biddings was fake, she was ready to let Jinpachi kill her, but eventually accepts to become his companion.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Comes with being An Ice Person.
- The Mole
- Ms. Fanservice: Voiced by Yuu Asakawa no less.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Sensual Slavs
- She Is All Grown Up: In the manga, Saizo was amazed to see a golden-haired beauty bathing in a mountain stream and initially thought she was a spirit. Even when two thugs tackled her and started groping her, all he could do was ogle her and pinch back his nose-bleed. During the fight, he was totally surprised to find out that she's his childhood friend Ana.
- Stripperiffic: Her clothes are already skimpy, and she likes not to wear them.
Voiced by: Ryōtarō Okiayu
- Biggus Dickus: According to Oukatsu.
- Cold Sniper: Not really cold but rather obsessed with etiquette and good manners.
- Cool Old Guy: In this series, they are quite common.
- Extra Ore Dinary: Is considered the Brave that uses "black iron".
- Good Old Ways
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: He has a fashionable scar on his jaw.
- I Call It "Vera": His musket Saaya. He is downright depressed when it's broken by Seikai. He recovers from it when the gun is fixed.
- Never Gets Drunk: It comes in handy when dealing with Jinpachi.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl / Would Hit a Girl: He would but only after she immobilized, cut, molested and eventually tried to strangle him to death.
Voiced by: Motoki Takagi
- Anti-Hero: He's the Token Evil Teammate among the Braves.
- Bare Your Midriff
- The Berserker: Saizo calls him on it when they're fightning Hanzo.
- Blood Knight: Fits this trope to a T.
- Blow You Away: His special technique.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Can't Hold His Liquor
- Death Seeker: Begs Saizo to kill him when he was being held in a Sword over Head position by Saizo.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Saves Saizo from being killed by Hanzo, and then joins the Braves.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: And he's annoyed when people remind him of it.
- Easily Forgiven: Isanami stops Saizo from killing him, claiming that she was fine and had forgiven him for beating the crap out of her,and that if he killed him, he would be just like him.
- Fragile Speedster
- In Love with Your Carnage: Saizo's.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Only gets annoyed by being slashed multiple times by Hanzo.
- Meaningful Name: The "kama " in [b]Kama[b]nosuke means "sickle". Guess what's this guy weapon?
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Tries to give one to Saizo, claiming that Saizo was being held back because of Isanami. Saizo's answer?Saizo: "Shut up." (Cue Curb-Stomp Battle)
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: His excuse for saving Saizo and joining the Braves.
- Worthy Opponent: Sees Saizo as this. Not really reciprocated.
Miyoshi Seikai Nyudo
Voiced by: Kazunari Tanaka
- Badass and Child Duo: He and Benmaru are seen often together, with the latter usually riding in the former's shoulder, and while Benmaru is a capable fighter, Seikai is usually the one that does most of the damage.
- Bald of Awesome
- Before And After: He was just another bishonen before getting his Charles Atlas Superpower.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Carry a Big Stick
- Dumb Muscle
- Defeat Means Friendship
- Dishing Out Dirt: Can cause small earthquakes. Is also considered the Brave that controls Earth.
- Gentle Giant
- Rated M for Manly: Sasuke tries to cut him with one of his kunais. He blocks with it PURE MUSCLE.
- Super Strength: The aftershock of one of his techniques is enough to carve holes in a wall. A wall that was really far away from him. He is also capable of creating earthquakes.
- Warrior Monk
- Wham Line: He's Isanami's elder brother. Not the biological one, but still, it's pretty shocking.
- The Worf Effect: Was knocked out effortlessly by Jinpachi to set Jinpachi's power level. Also, he could barely harm Byakugun for most of their fight.
Voiced by: Izumi Kitta
- Badass and Child Duo: See Seikai's entry above.
- Creepy Child
- Kid Samurai
- Mad Bomber
- Playing with Fire: He's considered the Brave that controls fire because of his bombs.
- Trap Master
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Setting traps and bombing are not the healthiest hobbies that children should have.
Voiced by: Kazuya Nakai
- Ambiguously Brown
- Badass: Beating Seikai without breaking a sweat surely qualifies him as one.
- Blade on a Stick: His Weapon of Choice.
- Buxom Is Better: His mindset. He thought Isanami is a boy due to her flat chest, and his reason to join the Braves was because there's this busty blonde...
- Coat Cape
- Cool Old Guy / Gentle Giant: Another one. However, he does not like being called "old".
- Curb-Stomp Battle: His "battle" with Seikai.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Only In It For The Hottie: Agreed to help Juuzou and eventually join Yukimura so that he could meet a certain big-busted blonde. And it's true. Once he's gets to know and is done redeeming Anastasia, he just stops sticking with the Braves.
- Never Gets Drunk
- Shock and Awe
- Super Strength: Blocked Seikai's strike with one hand.
Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu
- BFS / Katanas Are Just Better
- The Dragon: To Ieyasu.
- Eyepatch of Power: Naturally
- White Hair, Black Heart
Voiced by: Takahiro Sakurai
- Badass: Curbstomping Saizo THREE times is enough to qualify you as one.
- Badass Boast: Loves to boast about how he's more powerful than Saizo. Loves even more to prove it by crippling the guy.
- Braids of Action
- Curtains Match the Window
- Curb-Stomp Battle: He gives THREE to Saizo, and another one to Kamanosuke.
- Death of a Thousand Cuts: His special technique.
- The Dragon: For Ieyasu, but he's the Big Bad and The Leader for the Five Iga ninjas, and if his 'loyalty' is to be questioned, could be the overall Big Bad.
- Dual Wielding: Wields two wakizashi.
- Evil Redhead
- Flash Step: Uses it in a master level.
- Flat Character: For a Big Bad he has quite stereotypical motivations and very little personality.
- Genre Blind: Thought he could control Kushimitama's power after releasing it. Oh boy, was he wrong.
- Hero Killer: He nearly kills Saizo the three times they fought. However,he was always stopped by another person before he could do it.
- Hoist by His Own Petard / Evil Is Not a Toy: Killed by the monster he himself released.
- Lightning Bruiser: Hits really hard. Takes a point-blank Shunko and survives. Is so fast that Saizo and Kamanosuke had trouble keeping up with him. Basically,the only reason he's not a God-Mode Sue / Villain Sue is that he was beaten one time, and because he died because of his own dumbness.
- Manipulative Bastard
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: He loves to give these to Saizo, but Isanami is not safe from it either.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Super Speed: It's his selling point, after all. He's even nicknamed "The Speed" in Iga's League of 5.
- Villainous Breakdown: When Saizo hits him in their second fight, Hanzo completely loses his shit.
Voiced by: Hikaru Midorikawa
Voiced by: Shinichiro Miki