The Braves (In general)
- Attack Reflector: His "Heaven's Return" technique.
- The Determinator: No matter how much he's crippled, he refuses to give up.
- Red Baron: "The Marishi-ten", "The undefeated one".
- BFS / Black Swords Are Better: His Marishi-ten.
- Calling Your Attacks: "On,Marishi-ten Sowaka!", "Shunko!" "Ougi: Tenga Gaeshi" "Ninpou: Samidare!"
- Can't Hold His Liquor: He has some "tricks" to keep sober.
- Character Development: In the start of the series he was aloof, uncaring, aggressive, and hated the thought of working under a lord/being a Sanada's Brave. By the end, while not necessarily nice, he's far more gentle and calm, and openly admits liking being a Brave. Kakei even lampshades it when they were drinking in Jinpachi's ship, noting that he has become more gentle.
- Chick Magnet: Though he attracts not only chicks. Look below.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Receives THREE from Hanzo, and another one from Sasuke in their second fight. Gives one to Kamanosuke.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Kamanosuke certainly does.
- Flash Step: His "Shunko" technique. During his brief fight with Anastasia, he shows that he's capable of using a Flash Step without his Shunko, which is part of his "Hunter Falcons" technique.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Gets several ones in his body from his battles with Hanzo.
- Heroes Prefer Swords
- I Call It "Vera": Calls his sword "Marishi-ten Sowaka".
- If You Kill Him, You Will Be Just Like Him: Is stopped by Isanami from killing Kamanosuke when he had the latter in a Sword over Head position.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Light Is Not Good: More of light is not nice. Also, he dresses completely in black, and his sword is black too.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Only Sane Man: Divides this position with Rokuro, as amongst the braves, they are the most reasonable and down-to-earth ones. However, he's quite capable of having some fits of rage or bloodlust.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: He gets one during his fight with Kamanosuke.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- The Rival: Views Sasuke and Hanzo as his rivals. The former reciprocates. The latter thinks that Saizo is way out of his level for him (Hanzo) to consider him (Sasuke) a rival.
- Tsundere: Towards Isanami. It's more pronounced in the early chapters/episodes.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: He and Sasuke.
- Worf Effect: He's thrashed around by Hanzo in his three battles with the man, and by Sasuke during his "second fight" with him.
- Worf Had the Flu: During his second fight with Sasuke, he was thrashed mostly because was having a Heroic BSOD for failing to protect Isanami. Sasuke himself was only punching Saizo to get him out of it.
- Bishōnen: More like biseinen but still.
- Cool Old Guy
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Strongly implied. He never really fights in the series, and the closest to one is when Masamune forces him to duel. Masamune is using a real katana, while the only "weapon" he has is his fan. Still, he holds his own quite easily, even blocking one strike with his sandals, but decides to throw the fight soon after, laughing all the way.
- Dirty Old Man: Combined with Lovable Sex Maniac.
- Guile Hero
- Obfuscating Stupidity: It's clear that he knows more than he lets on, that he's more powerful than it seems, and his cheerful persona is just a masquerade. Saizo openly criticizes him for it, but he just laughs it off. He's basically the Kisuke Urahara of the series.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Just ask Rokuro.
- An Ice Person
- Berserk Button: Getting peeked in bath, of course. Not really, her real one is family. Due to her Dark and Troubled Past, Ana seriously hated the concept of 'family' and hanging around with the Braves pissed her to no end, it's surprising that she managed to keep that Cool Big Sis facade until her time of betrayal.
- Boobs of Steel
- Calling Your Attacks
- Combat Stilettos
- Cool Big Sis: For awhile. She deconstructs that when she betrayed the team.
- Dark Action Girl
- Dark and Troubled Past: She was a Russian little girl who got stuck in Japan, seeing her parents dead in the middle of snowstorm. Then the family heirloom got stolen by Hanzou and being taught with many dark teachings made Ana a real cold kunoichi.
- D-Cup Distress: When Isanami complains that her chest is small, Anastasia says that, for a kunoichi, being flat-chested was much more comfortable, but Isanami says that she should be proud of her size.
- Forced Into Evil: Zig-zagged. At first, Ana really was forced to do nefarious things by Hanzou against her will because that's the only way to retrieve her family heirloom. His dark teachings, however, influenced her enough that Ana didn't feel forced in being evil. However, Jinpachi can still sense she still feels kind of forced deep down.
- Good Bad Girl: More so in the manga than in the anime.
- Heel-Face Turn: The only one of Hanzou's five to be spared (because the one who fought her has hots on her), and once she learns that the heirloom that Hanzou used to make her do his biddings was fake, she was ready to let Jinpachi kill her, but eventually accepts to become his companion.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Comes with being An Ice Person.
- The Mole
- Ms. Fanservice: Voiced by Yuu Asakawa no less.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Sensual Slavs
- Stripperiffic: Her clothes are already skimpy, and she likes not to wear them.
Miyoshi Seikai Nyudo
Voiced by: Kazunari Tanaka
- Rated M for Manly: Sasuke tries to cut him with one of his kunais. He blocks with it PURE MUSCLE.
- Super Strength: The aftershock of one of his techniques is enough to carve holes in a wall. A wall that was really far away from him. He is also capable of creating earthquakes.
- Warrior Monk
- Wham Line: He's Isanami's elder brother. Not the biological one, but still, it's pretty shocking.
- The Worf Effect: Was knocked out effortlessly by Jinpachi to set Jinpachi's power level. Also, he could barely harm Byakugun for most of their fight.
Voiced by: Izumi Kitta
- Badass: Curbstomping Saizo THREE times is enough to qualify you as one.
- Badass Boast: Loves to boast about how he's more powerful than Saizo. Loves even more to prove it by crippling the guy.
- Braids of Action
- Curtains Match the Window
- Curb-Stomp Battle: He gives THREE to Saizo, and another one to Kamanosuke.
- Death of a Thousand Cuts: His special technique.
- The Dragon: For Ieyasu, but he's the Big Bad and The Leader for the Five Iga ninjas, and if his 'loyalty' is to be questioned, could be the overall Big Bad.
- Dual Wielding: Wields two wakizashi.
- Evil Redhead
- Flash Step: Uses it in a master level.
- Flat Character: For a Big Bad he has quite stereotypical motivations and very little personality.
- Genre Blind: Thought he could control Kushimitama's power after releasing it. Oh boy, was he wrong.
- Hero Killer: He nearly kills Saizo the three times they fought. However,he was always stopped by another person before he could do it.
- Hoist by His Own Petard / Evil Is Not a Toy: Killed by the monster he himself released.
- Lightning Bruiser: Hits really hard. Takes a point-blank Shunko and survives. Is so fast that Saizo and Kamanosuke had trouble keeping up with him. Basically,the only reason he's not a God-Mode Sue / Villain Sue is that he was beaten one time, and because he died because of his own dumbness.
- Manipulative Bastard
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: He loves to give these to Saizo, but Isanami is not safe from it either.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Super Speed: It's his selling point, after all. He's even nicknamed "The Speed" in Iga's League of 5.
- Villainous Breakdown: When Saizo hits him in their second fight, Hanzo completely loses his shit.