open/close all folders
Yukimura and his 10 Braves
The Braves (In general)
- Dysfunctional Family: A found family version, played for all the laughs it's worth.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: The Braves are an assortment of of Bunny Ears Lawyers, orphans with nowhere else to turn, and people who flaunt convention as much as possible. "Oh great, another weirdo," practically becomes Saizo's mantra as more and more Braves are acquired.
- The Team: Their roles are thus:
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Not all of them like or agree with each other, which has repercussions in certain fights.
- True Companions: Conflict-filled, violent, and deeply weird true companions, but like family to each other nonetheless.
Saizo Kirigakure - Brave of Light ☯
Voiced by: Daisuke Ono
- Attack Reflector: His "Heaven's Return" technique.
- Bash Brothers: Despite how much he hates Kamanosuke, they make the best pair when there's a need to unleash violence and havoc upon their enemies.
- BFS / Black Swords Are Better: His Mari Blade.
- Bishōnen: His looks are commented on in-series, especially by Yukimura.
- Broken Bird: His backstory makes clear that the aggressive, uncaring front he puts up stems from a fear of being thrown away one day by anyone he might devote himself to.
- Calling Your Attacks: "On, Marishi-ten Sowaka!", "Shunko!" "Ougi: Tenga Gaeshi" "Ninpou: Samidare!"
- Character Development: In the start of the series he was aloof, uncaring, aggressive, and hated the thought of working under a lord/being a Brave, although a lot of this was based in a cynical attempt at self-protection. By the end, while not necessarily nice, he's far more gentle and calm, and openly admits to liking being a Brave. Kakei even lampshades it when they are drinking on Jinpachi's ship, noting that he has become more gentle.
- Chick Magnet: Though he attracts not only chicks. Look below.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Receives THREE from Hanzo, and another one from Sasuke in their second fight. Gives one to Kamanosuke.
- The Determinator: No matter how much he's crippled, he refuses to give up.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Kamanosuke certainly does. Hanzo's pretty touchy feely, and even Yukimura propositions him once.
- Flash Step: His "Shunko" technique. During his brief fight with Anastasia, he shows that he's capable of using a Flash Step without his Shunko, which is part of his "Hunter Falcons" technique.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Gets several ones on his body from his battles with Hanzo.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: He's the only Brave with a sword as their primary weapon until Hanzo joins up, and of course he's the protagonist.
- I Call It "Vera": Calls his sword the "Mari Blade" after his goddess, Marishi-ten, whose name it bears.
- If You Kill Him, You Will Be Just Like Him: Is stopped by Isanami from killing Kamanosuke when he had the latter in a Sword over Head position.
- Jerkass Façade: He tries to be edgier and more uncaring than he actually is. Really just a Broken Bird who's afraid of the vulnerability that comes with caring.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: His manner isn't nice, but his heart's in the right place.
- Light Is Not Good: More of light is not nice. Also, he dresses completely in black, and his sword is black too.
- Lightning Bruiser: He's one of the fastest on the team and hits pretty hard.
- Only Sane Man: Divides this position with Rokuro, as amongst the braves, they are the most reasonable and down-to-earth ones. However, he's quite capable of having some fits of rage or bloodlust.
- Red Baron: "The Marishi-ten", "The undefeated one".
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: He gets a moment of this during his fight with Kamanosuke.
- Rugged Scar: He has a big one on the right side of his abdomen as well as several smaller ones throughout his shoulders and arms and some very long, deep ones on his back.
- The Rival: Views Sasuke and Hanzo as his rivals. The former reciprocates. The latter thinks that Saizo is too far below his level for him to consider Saizo a rival.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: He's only averagely tall, but he makes up for it in dark and handsome.
- Tsundere: Towards Isanami and others in general. It's more pronounced in the early chapters/episodes and generally goes along with his Jerkass Façade.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: He and Sasuke.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: He's 19 but with enough life experience to become the leader of the Braves at the end of the first series.
- Worf Effect: He's thrashed around by Hanzo in his three battles with the man, and by Sasuke during his second fight with him.
- Worf Had the Flu: During his second fight with Sasuke, he was thrashed mostly because was having a Heroic B.S.O.D. for failing to protect Isanami. Sasuke himself was only punching Saizo to get him out of it.
Isanami - Brave of Darkness ☯
Voiced by: Rina Sato
- A-Cup Angst: Ironically she is far from being flat-chested. Too bad that other women in the series are much better endowed.
- Big Eater: Played for comedy. She eats more than the rest of the Braves combined.
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: She's only had temple liquor for ritual purposes, so when challenged to a drinking competition, she gets wasted really fast.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Towards Saizo. She combines this with No Sense of Personal Space.
- Combat Hand Fan: She eventually learns this skill.
- Dark Is Not Evil: She is a sweet girl with a hairpin that protects her with the powers of darkness. Subverted when it turns out the powers aren't from the hairpin, but the goddess Izanami. When Izanami takes over, dark is very much evil.
- Distressed Damsel: Everybody wants that hairpin.
- Early Installment Character-Design Difference: Her hair is dark green in the manga at first, but it's later recolored to cyan, and eventually settles on almost-white by the end of the first series. The anime goes with the last of these.
- God in Human Form: She's the vessel for Izanami, a death goddess.
- Hair Decoration: A jade headpiece that's clearly for more than looks. Its name is the Kushimitama and it eases chaos, protecting the world from Isanami's powers.
- Modesty Shorts: Part of her unique outfit. She is a miko, after all. Oukatsu also wears modesty shorts as well
- Person of Mass Destruction: Her darkness power is extensive and none-too-choosy about the victims in its radius.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: An early marker of her unusual powers.
- Survivor's Guilt: Her weak spot.
- Sweet Tooth: Loves sweets with a passion, and tends to spend all their travel money on them to her teammates' despair.
Sarutobi Sasuke - Brave of Grass 🌿
Voiced by: Tetsuya Kakihara
- Badass Boast: Gives one to Oukatsu.Sasuke: The forest is my domain. Don't think you can go home alive.
- The Beastmaster: He was abandoned in a forest as a boy and Raised by Wolves before Yukimura found him. As a result he's deeply nurturing towards animals and they help him in his fights.
- Big "NO!": When Kamanosuke asks him permission to skin his weasel to use it as a scarf.
- Bishōnen: He hides much of his face, but he's quite cute underneath it all.
- Calling Your Attacks
- Curb-Stomp Battle: While giving his Get a Hold of Yourself, Man! / "The Reason You Suck" Speech to Saizo, he and Saizo are fist-fighting. Sasuke downright thrashes Saizo around to prove his point. Also, his battle in the forest with Oukatsu is implied to be one.
- Curtains Match the Window: Has orange hair and eyes.
- Cuteness Proximity: He's already friendly to animals, but when he meets Veronica, Jinpachi's panther, he's downright in love with her.
- Fire-Forged Friends: He and Saizo, though they wouldn't admit it.
- Friendless Background: He has trouble interacting with other people but loves animals and can be seen around them frequently. Makes sense actually since he was raised in a forest among them rather than with other people.
- Friend to All Living Things: Comes with being The Beastmaster
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: Gives one to Saizo.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Grass means forest, forest means that he can ask every kind of animal for help.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Gets a brief one after Anastasia's betrayal.
- Hulk Speak: His extremely broken grammar comes from being Raised by Wolves.
- Implied Love Interest: Seems to have feelings for Isanami. But besides a few blushes, he never says anything about it.
- In-Series Nickname: Saizo calls him 'monkey' on regular basis, much to his annoyance.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's only really a jerk to Saizo and occasionally Ana thanks to the Iga-Koga ninja rivalry. When he gets around animals or innocent people like Isanami, his heart's all gold.
- Nature Hero: Was abandoned in a forest and lived there until Yukimura recruited him. Still spends most of his time there.
- Nice Guy: Despite being a ninja who will kill at the drop of a hat to protect Ueda, Sasuke has a stronger sweet side than the others, something which draws criticism from opponents as Anastasia explicitly states he is inexperienced and naive, while Okatsu derides him for only being a boy, and his hesitation almost gets him killed when he gets kissed by Kaio. He's also has a few moments of Tender Tears and is very gentle and caring towards his animal friends.
- Nice Hat: He sports a cute cap.
- Not Good with People: Is REALLY shy, and has a habit of leaving the scene when confronted.
- Raised by Wolves: His parents abandoned him in a forest.
- Shrinking Violet: Rare male example. He’s a very timid and meek guy who Yukimura commented on was way too shy.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Beautifully mixed with his Get a Hold of Yourself, Man! speech.
- The Rival: Considers Saizo his rival. It's reciprocated.
- Terse Talker: Yukimura even comments that he has never heard Sasuke talk so much as when he was giving his speech to Saizo.
- Undying Loyalty: He is deeply loyal to Yukimura, and the intensity of his desire to protect Ueda tends to awe others as they waver:Saizo: You don't ever falter, do you?Sasuke: Protect Sanada lands. Do not ever break one's word.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: He and Saizo.
- Warrior Therapist: To Saizo, whenever the latter is having a Heroic B.S.O.D., and even sometimes to Ana.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Controls "grass" according to Yukimura.
Voiced by: Toshiyuki Morikawa
- Brilliant, but Lazy: He gets the Braves to do all the heavy lifting for him in private and public matters, but his brilliance is unquestionable.
- Coat Cape: Yukimura tends to wear his cloak in this way. It goes with his cool but elusive personality.
- Combat Hand Fan: When challenged to a sword dance, he opts to use his fan instead. It's also a marker of his Zhuge Liang-like strategems.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He cultivates this image carefully. He never really fights in the series, but when Masamune forces him to duel for a "show", Masamune uses a real katana while the only "weapon" Yukimura takes is his fan. He holds his own quite easily, even blocking one strike with his sandals, but plays up his clumsiness until the point Date tries to land a blow and he catches the carpet with his foot, falls flat on his back and uses the other to kick the sword out of Date's hand and send it flying within a hair's breadth of Tokugawa. He then plays it off as bumbling accident, though Tokugawa got the message loud and clear.
- Dirty Old Man: Combined with Lovable Sex Maniac.
- Even the Guys Want Him: He manages to draw in the largely male Ragtag Bunch of Misfits that are the Braves with no promises of money or land or tangible gain, just the charm that comes with his mysterious but clearly genius nature. Even Jinpachi, who hates being chained to anything, talks about how compelling he is because he is so hard-to-read.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: He is the foolish sibling to Nobuyuki's responsible one, although he takes his responsibility to Ueda quite seriously.
- Genius Slob: Rokuro's constantly on his case for dressing slovenly, not brushing his hair, and generally not conducting himself as a samurai ought to.
- Guile Hero: He's intelligent and is very good at taking in the bigger picture, and using that knowledge to manipulate people into doing what he wants.
- Handsome Lech: He's always flirting with Ana and sneaking out to brothels and talking about how much he likes women, but he's not very successful as all of his efforts are foiled by Rokuro's interference.
- Like an Old Married Couple: Rokuro has been serving as Yukimura's page since they were 10 and 16 respectively, and by the time the series starts they have full on settled into the nagging wife/lazy husband dynamic, to the point in the sequel Rokuro's dressed like a housewife and beating him with a broom while they argue in front of the kid.
- Messy Hair: His is naturally wild. One Doujinshi by the author features Rokuro struggling to comb his hair out for the matches at the same time Komatsu does their brothers' hair, with the latter group snarking about Yukimura's untameable locks.
- Mysterious Employer: Nearly all the Braves will cop to not knowing what goes on in his head, and he's very good at recruiting people without promising them anything in return, and he gets the Braves to move for him in matters where he needs to sit back.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: It's clear that he knows more than he lets on, that he's more powerful than it seems, and his cheerful persona is just a masquerade. Saizo openly criticizes him for it, but he just laughs it off. He's basically the Kisuke Urahara of the series.
- Smart People Play Chess: Rokuro challenges him to a game of shogi, trying to make a point. While that game ends rather abruptly with Yukimura shaking the gameboard and dislodging the pieces to make a counterpoint, Yukimura continues to use shogi metaphors to describe his plans for Ueda and the Braves, showing off his cleverness.
- The Strategist: He's always considering the long-term future of Ueda and trying to manipulate things to ensure its peace and safety.
- Warrior Poet: Of all the samurai lords in the story, he has the biggest philosophical streak and spends a lot of his non-Obfuscating Stupidity time ruminating on war, power, morality and fate.
Unno Rokuro - Brave of Water 🌊
Voiced by: Hiroshi Kamiya
- Aloof Big Brother: Towards his twin, Nanakuma, as Rokuro is far less emotional than him. He doesn't hate Nanakuma like Nanakuma hates him but in reality Rokuro's cold stoicism only contributes to Nanakuma's insecurities and anger.
- Bare Your Midriff: He wears a short shirt with a pair of low slung hakama.
- Battle Butler: He is a page rather than a butler, but fits this trope quite nicely.
- Bishōnen: Extremely so, and noted in-universe.
- Cain and Abel: He and his twin, Nanakuma, although this mostly comes from Nanakuma's side, with Rokuro being an Aloof Big Brother while Nanakuma knows he's The Unfavorite.
- Determinator: He will not stay down when it comes time to protect his master and his kin, even if he has to start casting from HP.
- Even the Guys Want Him: It is made clear many times that men and women alike find him extremely attractive. Jinpachi's crew of pirates make it quite obvious that they would like him to get black out drunk.Pirate: Here, why not have some more, beauty!?Rokuro: Why am I the only one with a bowl?...Thanks...Saizo: (looks on) Rokuro sure is popular...
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": He gets this the most often out of the cast. Kamanosuke calls him "page", Hanzo calls him "the handsome page", the farmer in Kudoyama calls him "the beautiful lad" and the pirates just call him "beauty." It seems to come down to one of two factors.
- Eyepatch of Power: His eyepatch covers up the Water Crest eye, which records information and can extract memories. When it's stabbed out, he replaces it with the God's Jewel, another Unno inheritable, which can control water including people's blood.
- Eye Scream: He pierces his eye with Anastasia's blade when she was trying to steal his eye, which contains valuable information.
- Ingesting Knowledge: He can store information and memories by sucking them into his magic eye.
- Like an Old Married Couple: He is the nagging wife to Yukimura's lazy lech of a husband. As he tells Saizo, being a faithful retainer does not mean not telling your lord when you disagree with him or his ways.
- Making a Splash: He is the Brave that controls water. However, his use of it is quite uncommon, as he mixes water with shouts to create waves that incapacitate his enemies.
- Nice Guy: He can be irritable and snappish, but his heart's in a good place which sets him up for the Team Mom role.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Nearly all of the Braves have learned this the hard way.
- Only Sane Man: Shares this position with Saizo, possibly even more so. It comes with being the only Type A personality on the entire team.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: The dark hair/pale skin look goes along with his general bishonen features.
- Senseless Sacrifice: In the anime he tries to do one to slow down Isanami. Saizo stops him, though.
- The Stoic: He tends to show little expression and goes around getting things done quietly
- Not So Stoic: He smiles quite a few times in the series, and around Yukimura he's far more animated and snappish.
- Stripperiffic: Hakama naturally have large gaps at the sides, which is why a long kimono is traditionally worn with them. Rokuro forgoes tradition and wears a crop top instead, resulting in an adventurous outfit for an experienced fighter to wear.
- Team Mom: He ends up falling into this position, keeping everyone in tea and in line (often forcefully), but always remaining rational and occasionally offering a pep talk to those who need them in his own way.
- Too Much Alike: He and Nanakuma are tsundere twins with Undying Loyalty, but that causes far more conflict between them.
- Tsundere: It runs in the family. He's sharp-tongued and quick-tempered, but occasionally Yukimura catches him offguard with unexpected praise, which gives rise to brief moments of deredere.
- Undying Loyalty: To Yukimura. Enough to sacrifice his eye so that the bad guys could not get the info contained on it. He eventually gets in a loyalty-off with his twin brother when a show match turns into a Duel to the Death to prove each serves his own master better.*
- Whip It Good: When he faces off against his brother, it turns out the chain on his jacket is actually part of a chain whip that he can assembling into a longer whip and use with skill.
Anastasia - Brave of Ice ❄️
Voiced by: Yuu Asakawa
- An Ice Person: She is the Brave of Ice for a reason. As long as there's a water source nearby, she can freeze it into ice spears, ice walls and ice encasements.
- Berserk Button: Getting peeked on in bath, of course. More seriously, her real one is family. Due to her Dark and Troubled Past, Ana hates the concept of 'family' and hanging around with the Braves angers her because she can't feel the same way. It's surprising that she manages to keep that Cool Big Sis facade until her time of betrayal.
- Boobs of Steel: She is a lot better endowed than Isanami, who is The Load, while Ana is one of their best fighters.
- Calling Your Attacks: She calls most of hers in Russian.
- Childhood Friends: She and Saizo. Saizo's friendship is one of the very few good experiences from her childhood, most likely.
- Combat Stilettos: She has some nice heels that she puts to good use.
- Cool Big Sis: She takes on this role toward Isanami for awhile. She deconstructs that when she betrayed the team.
- Dark Action Girl: Great in a fight, but not necessarily on the heroes' side.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She was a little Russian girl who got stuck in Japan, with her parents dead in the middle of a snowstorm. Then the family heirloom got stolen, she was sold into sex slavery, and then trained as a Iga ninja. Then Hanzou appears with her heirloom and all the subsequent trauma of being with him made Ana a real cold kunoichi.
- D-Cup Distress: When Isanami complains that her chest is small, Anastasia says that, for a kunoichi, being flat-chested is much more comfortable, but Isanami says that she should be proud of her size.
- Forced into Evil: Ana's deeply traumatic childhood followed by becoming a ninja and being forced to do nefarious things by Hanzou in order to retrieve her family heirloom all push her into her status. Although she maintains an Ice Queen pretense and mocks the others for their naivete, deep down it's clearly hurting her.
- Good Bad Girl: More so in the manga than in the anime.
- Heel–Face Turn: In the sequel it's revealed Sasuke and Saizo captured her and brought her back for judgement, only for Yukimura to let her off and offer her to stay. Though she feels this is the cruelest thing he could do, she does remain in Ueda, if at a distance from the others, and serves faithfully until her death.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Comes with being An Ice Person.
- McNinja: A Russian princess who became a ninja after being shipwrecked in Japan.
- The Mole: She works as part of the Iga Five.
- Ms. Fanservice: Voiced by Yuu Asakawa no less.
- Rapunzel Hair: She has long blond hair tied up in a ponytail. It not terribly practical for a ninja, but then, nothing about any of the Braves' sartorial decisions is.
- Sensual Slavs: She's Russian and a lot of her attention in-series relates to her foreign appearance + Ms. Fanservice elements.
- She Is All Grown Up: In the manga, Saizo was amazed to see a golden-haired beauty bathing in a mountain stream and initially thought she was a spirit. Even when two thugs tackled her and started groping her, all he could do was ogle her and pinch back his nose-bleed. During the fight, he was totally surprised to find out that she's his childhood friend Ana.
- Stripperiffic: Her clothes are already skimpy, and she likes not to wear them.
Kakei Juzo - Brave of Metal 🔫
Voiced by: Ryotaro Okiayu
- Biggus Dickus: According to Oukatsu.
- Butt-Monkey: He's always interfering in fights as the Team Dad between the more dramatic Braves, but often as not ends up knocked out by them or caught in the crossfire of Rokuro's sonic blasts whenever he drops by to settle things.
- Cold Sniper: Not really cold but rather obsessed with etiquette and good manners.
- Cool Old Guy: While at first Saizo dislikes Kakei for his obnoxious conservative attitude, they eventually develop a strong respect for each other. Saizo still refers to him as an old man, however, despite only being in his thirties.
- Extra-ore-dinary: Is considered the Brave that uses "black iron".
- Good Old Ways: He is conservative and proper and unafraid to tell others how they ought to behave.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: He has a fashionable scar on his jaw.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Pulls one to save Rokuro at the end of Brave10 S.
- I Call It "Vera": His musket Saaya. He is downright depressed when it's broken by Seikai. He recovers from it when the gun is fixed.
- Never Gets Drunk: It comes in handy when dealing with Jinpachi.
- Team Dad: He's older, more conservative, and tends to vocally correct the misbehaviours of the Braves around him. Naturally he gets along quite well with the Team Mom, Rokuro, both of them being fairly orthodox people in a cast of eccentrics.
- Would Hit a Girl: He would but only after she immobilized, cut, molested and eventually tried to strangle him to death.
Yuri Kamanosuke - Brave of Wind 🎐
Voiced by: Motoki Takagi
- Anti-Hero: He's the Token Evil Teammate among the Braves.
- Ax-Crazy: Kamanosuke's only really interested in blood, pain, and the thrill of the fight.
- Bare Your Midriff: He wears a lot of crop tops.
- Bash Brothers: When he can get it together enough, he and Saizo make a pretty effective team, until the Leeroy Jenkins factor kicks in.
- Bishōnen: He uses it to his advantage to trick people into thinking he's a helpless woman in his bandit days.
- The Berserker: Saizo calls him on it when they're fighting Hanzo.
- Blow You Away: His special technique involves his wind powers.
- Boisterous Bruiser: He's loud and very passionate about fighting.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Gets immediately drunk after taking up Jinpachi's drinking challenge and ends up flashing Saizo and Kakei.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: He is extremely possessive over Saizo and picks fights with Isanami over their respective closeness to him.
- Death Seeker: Begs Saizo to kill him when he was being held in a Sword over Head position by Saizo.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Shows up after getting his ass kicked to save Saizo from being killed by Hanzo, and then joins the Braves.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: And he's annoyed when people remind him of it.
- Easily Forgiven: Isanami stops Saizo from killing him, claiming that she was fine and had forgiven him for beating the crap out of her, and that if he killed him, he would be just like him.
- Fragile Speedster: He's fast, but he's not tough.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: He's Ax-Crazy, a Leeroy Jenkins in most combat situations, and extremely loud and rude. Absolutely nobody on the team likes him, but he's a powerful fighter if not a good one, and they all put up with him despite the obnoxiousness. Ironically, it's these traits that make him a fan favourite.
- In Love with Your Carnage: Saizo's ruthlessness excites him more than anyone he's fought in his bandit days, and leads to him joining the Braves in the hopes of prolonging said excitement.
- Leeroy Jenkins: He has absolutely no sense of strategy or the limits of his own power, and only ever wants to rush in headlong and kill as many people as possible. This makes him a constant liability in a fight, and more than once he gets caught in his own attacks.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Only gets annoyed by being slashed multiple times by Hanzo. Also, his preferred remedy for being covered in tiny blade wounds is to sleep and eat.
- Meaningful Name: The "kama " in Kamanosuke means "sickle". Guess what this guy's weapon is?
- Not in This for Your Revolution: He constantly reminds the Braves he's not here to protect Ueda or for sentimental reasons, he just wants to die after fighting with Saizo and is searching for the right opportunity.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: His excuse for saving Saizo and joining the Braves.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Tries to give one to Saizo, claiming that Saizo was being held back because of Isanami. Saizo's answer?Saizo: "Shut up." (Cue Curb-Stomp Battle)
- Worthy Opponent: Sees Saizo as this. Not really reciprocated.
Miyoshi Seikai Nyudo - Brave of Earth 🌏
Voiced by: Kazunari Tanaka
- Badass and Child Duo: He and Benmaru are seen often together, with the latter usually riding in the former's shoulder, and while Benmaru is a capable fighter, Seikai is usually the one that does most of the damage.
- Bald of Awesome: He's kind of a monk, so appropriately he is bald, but he's also The Big Guy and nigh physically impervious to even blades.
- Before And After: He was just another bishonen before getting his Charles Atlas Superpower.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Loud, large, and fight-happy.
- Brains and Brawn: The dumb muscle to Benmaru's strategist.
- Carry a Big Stick: When not using his fists, he uses his club.
- Dumb Muscle: He is powerful, and has a good heart, but could not even charitably be considered intelligent.
- Defeat Means Friendship: He creates a ruckus when he tries to dine and dash and ends up fighting the Braves. When Saizo finally finds his weakness and beats him, everyone learns he's Isanami's adoptive brother and he joins the team.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Can cause small earthquakes. Is also considered the Brave that controls earth.
- Gentle Giant: When his temper has not been provoked, he's a nice Dumb Muscle type.
- Mighty Glacier: His battle strategy includes things like just standing there and let people hit him rather than parry.
- No Shirt, Long Jacket: His muscles are on constant display with this look.
- Rated M for Manly: Sasuke tries to cut him with one of his kunais. He blocks with it PURE MUSCLE.
- Super Strength: The aftershock of one of his techniques is enough to carve holes in a wall. A wall that was really far away from him. He is also capable of creating earthquakes.
- Warrior Monk: He's both a monk and a fighter.
- Wham Line: That he's Isanami's elder brother. Not a biological one, but still, it's pretty shocking.
- The Worf Effect: Was knocked out effortlessly by Jinpachi to set Jinpachi's power level. Also, he could barely harm Byakugun for most of their fight. Far more tragically, despite his Charles Atlas Superpower being Nigh-Invulnerability, he is the first Brave to die in the sequel, setting the power level for Susanoo, a Physical God.
Benmaru/Mochizuki Rokuro/Sanada Daisuke - Brave of Fire 💣
Voiced by: Izumi Kitta
- Badass and Child Duo: He uses Seikai to test his new weapons on as Seikai's generally impervious to damage, and they often fight as a duo, compensating for each other's weaknesses (Seikai for Benmaru's short stature, and Benmaru for Seikai's stupidity).
- Creepy Child: He's more on the amoral side than most, and a genius with explosives.
- Kid Samurai: He gave himself a last name because he wanted to be a samurai rather than just a poor orphan. Eventually, he gets exactly what he wanted when Yukimura adopts him as his heir.
- Mad Bomber: He's good with the explosives and the traps, and doesn't worry too much about collateral.
- Meaningful Name: He was named Rokuro because he was the sixth child, which is probably why he was eventually abandoned. Despite the other Rokuro's protest, Yukimura gives him his childhood name, "Benmaru," which he uses until Yukimura adopts him and renames him Sanada Daisuke.
- One Steve Limit: He was quite happy to abandon the name Rokuro to limit the confusion between him and Unno Rokuro.
- Playing with Fire: He's considered the Brave that controls fire because of his bombs.
- The Strategist: Yukimura recognizes Benmaru may even be a better strategist than him, which prompts him to invite him to join the Braves and later leave the Braves to become his heir.
- Trap Master: He sets up a Death Course which prompts Yukimura's invitation to join the Braves.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Setting traps and bombing are not the healthiest hobbies that children should have.
Nezu Jinpachi - Brave of Lightning ⚡
Voiced by: Kazuya Nakai
- Ambiguously Brown: He's Japanese, but much darker than the rest of the cast.
- Badass Baritone : Zoro's voice, no less.
- Blade on a Stick: His Weapon of Choice.
- Buxom Is Better: His mindset. After he realizes Kamanosuke is a dude, he complains that Kakei promised there was a woman on the team but when Isanami protests to say she is one, he mocks her for being too young and too flat-chested. His reason to join the Braves was because there's this busty blonde he's been told about...
- Coat Cape: It gives him a certain pirate-y flair.
- Cool Old Guy: Another one in Saizo's estimation. Of course, he does not like being called "old".
- Curb-Stomp Battle: His "battle" with Seikai ends very quickly, with the latter knocked out until the next day.
- Lightning Bruiser: Literally. Fast, extremely physically powerful, and has lightning as his element.
- Only In It For The Hottie: Agreed to help Kakei and eventually joins Yukimura so that he could meet a certain big-busted blonde. And it's true. He eventually splits out of anger over Ana's treatment in the sequel, and while he does come Back for the Finale, it seems after her death he leaves for good.
- Never Gets Drunk: He challenges people to drink large quantities of sake to prove their worth, because he doesn't easily get drunk and he respects others who are similar aficinados.
- Peek-a-Bangs: His dreads cover up one eye, adding to his mystery.
- Shock and Awe: His elemental power is lightning.
- Super Toughness: Blocked Seikai's strike with one hand.
Hattori Hanzo - Brave of Fire, Mk. II 🔥
Voiced by: Takahiro Sakurai
- Affably Evil: Polite of speech and apparently really enjoys eating meals with others. You can irritate him past the affability, however.
- Badass Boast: Loves to boast about how he's more powerful than Saizo. Loves even more to prove it by crippling the guy.
- Braids of Action: He has a very long braid and he's the most deadly fighter in the series.
- Curtains Match the Window: Take warning and all that. Also becomes quite fitting when you realize his element is hellfire.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: He gives THREE to Saizo, and another one to Kamanosuke.
- Death of a Thousand Cuts: His special technique.
- The Dragon: For Ieyasu, but he's the Big Bad and The Leader for the Five Iga ninjas, and the most immediate Big Bad in the first manga.
- Dual Wielding: Wields two wakizashi.
- Evil Redhead: Only acting for money and personal gain, otherwise emotionally detached.
- Flash Step: Uses it at a master level.
- Flat Character: For a Big Bad he has quite stereotypical motivations and very little personality. More comes out in the sequel when he joins the heroes.
- Genre Blind: Thought he could control Kushimitama's power after releasing it. Oh boy, was he wrong.
- Heel–Face Turn: A ninja's gotta eat, and he's out of a job after the events of Brave10, and it so happens Benmaru's position opened up.
- Hero Killer: He nearly killed Saizo during the three times they fought. However, he was always stopped by another person before he could do it.
- Hoist by His Own Petard / Evil Is Not a Toy: In the anime he is killed by the monster he himself released.
- Lightning Bruiser: Hits really hard. Takes a point-blank Shunko and survives. Is so fast that Saizo and Kamanosuke had trouble keeping up with him. Basically, the only reason he's not a God-Mode Sue/Villain Sue is that he was beaten one time, and because he died because of his own stupidity in the anime. In the manga, well....
- Manipulative Bastard: He's cunning and manipulates his opponents' and teammates' emotions alike to acheive his desired ends.
- Not Too Dead to Save the Day: In the manga, he's still alive. Ana froze him in ice, but as soon as she left he got himself out using his hellfire technique. Everyone's pretty shocked when he suddenly shows up and saves Benmaru from kidnappers.
- Punch-Clock Villain: He doesn't hate the Braves or carry grudges. He's a ninja who does a job without personal investments, or so he claims.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: He loves to give these to Saizo, but Isanami is not safe from it either.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: He is pretty damn evil.
- Super Speed: It's his selling point, after all. He's even nicknamed "The Speed" in Iga's League of 5.
- Token Evil Teammate: He's an even harder sell for the rest of the Braves than Kamanosuke in the sequel.
- Villainous Breakdown: When Saizo hits him in their second fight, Hanzo completely loses his shit.
Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu
- BFS: He carries a massive one.
- Blood Knight: His main priorities are war, chaos and more war. He feels he was born for a more tumultuous time than the one he's in.
- The Dragon: He is this to Ieyasu because he thinks Ieyasu might get him the war he so badly wants.
- Eyepatch of Power: Naturally he has one as the One-eyed Dragon of Oshu.
- Large Ham: He's always spoiling for war, attempting to run away to be at the centre of action himself and is generally larger than life.
- Rummage Sale Reject: His Kyoto outfit is a fearsome thing to behold.
- Alas, Poor Villain: He's one of the more sympathetic Villains of the Week despite being just as amoral as the rest, perhaps because of the atmosphere of mono no aware that he invokes.
- Bare Your Midriff: His outfit is a tube top + long loincloth.
- Crosscast Role: In the stage show adaptation, he's played by Riona Tatemichi, a woman.
- Disguised in Drag: Because he would have been killed if it were found out any Goemon sons were living, he starts living as a woman to deter rumours.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He's an unrepetent thief and murderer who does enjoy the thrill and glory of it, but also acts heavily out of love for Kojuro, who gave him shelter when he was being hunted and then a purpose for living.
- Flower Motifs: Camellias are his. He was discovered hiding among the camellias by Kojuro and has loved them ever since. They are a flower that falls "purely", dropping all at once rather than petal by petal. It's both a metaphor for his swift fall for Kojuro, and his dying young and beautiful as he falls from the rooftop after battling Saizo.
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: He heads one as the ane of the Ishikawa gang.
- Undying Loyalty: He lives only to be of use to Kojuro.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Saizo was surprised to learn he really was a man in the aftermath of the attack, as he dresses as a woman and refers to himself as one to conceal himself better after his father's execution.
Other Historical Figures
Voiced by: Hikaru Midorikawa
- Doomed by Canon: As soon as the Battle of Sekigahara started looming, his fate was obviously sealed.
- The Fettered: He is this regarding honouring Toyotomi Hideyoshi and preventing the collapse of the nobility.
- Those Two Guys: He and Kanetsugu are introduced gossiping together and make all of their appearances together after that until his beheading.
Voiced by: Shin-ichiro Miki
- Gentleman Snarker: Kanetsugu is extremely sharp-tongued toward everyone equally, offering backhanded compliments and politely-veiled insults indiscriminately.
- Manipulative Bastard: He plays on Uesugi's complete lack of cunning at times to smooth things over, despite his loyalty to him.
- Passive-Aggressive Kombat: His forte, being quick-witted and vaguely disdainful towards everyone.
- Smug Snake: Disdainful with a smile.
- Those Two Guys: He appears with Mitsunari in Kyoto and they are always seen together after that until Mitsunari's death, at which point Kanetsugu makes his exit from the story.
- Aloof Big Brother: He has elements of this towards Yukimura, being proud and disapproving.
- BFS: His odachi is massive.
- The Big Guy: He breaks floorboards as he walks when he's in a rage.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: He's the responsible sibling to Yukimura's foolish one, although he doesn't give his brother enough credit.
- Messy Hair: He has the same messy hair that Yukimura does although he maintains it better. Komatsu claims there's a satisfaction in being able to comb it down.
- No Indoor Voice: He has a tendency to shout most of his dialogue.
- Perpetual Frowner: He never looks happy.
- Tsundere: Like his wife and page, he has a tendency towards arrogance and disdain, but deep down he really cares about his brother and the fortunes of their family, he just expresses it in unusual ways.
- Bare Your Midriff: Shares his twin's dress sense, although he forgoes a shirt altogether and just wears a lace up jacket with the hakama.
- Battle Butler: A page to Nobuyuki, and his third fighter in the tournament arc.
- Bishōnen: He is identical to his brother in this matter.
- Cain and Abel: Nanakuma knows he's The Unfavorite and that his parents only didn't kill him at birth because they weren't sure which twin would inherit the Water Crest eye. When it, and the God's Jewel, goes to Rokuro, he feels inferior, reinforced when Nobuyuki is unhappy to see the "superior" Rokuro choose to serve his brother instead. He's quite eager to prove himself as a worthy page, and is ready to kill Rokuro in a Duel to the Death in the tournament arc and take the God's Jewel for his own. The author notes Nanakuma has a major complex over his brother even though Rokuro doesn't really reciprocate or care.
- Making a Splash: He has the same sonic techniques that his twin does.
- Scars Are Forever: He gets a long, deep slash from his sternum to his stomach from Fuuma, and forgoes baring his midriff from then on, covering up with a long black shirt underneath his usual clothes.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: The mangaka outright calls him tsuntsun in her doujinshi. He's arrogant and proud, but also very insecure and desparate to prove himself.
- Stripperiffic: The same kimono-less hakama effect that applies to Rokuro applies here.
- Too Much Alike: He and Rokuro are both tsundere twins with Undying Loyalty, but that makes their relationship worse, not better.
- Undying Loyalty: To Nobuyuki. He gets in a loyalty-off with Rokuro when a show match turns into a Duel to the Death to prove each serves his own master better.
- Whip It Good: It turns out the lace up ribbon on his jacket is actually a rope dart he can use as a weapon when he faces off against his brother.
- Girly Bruiser: Her design is very girl-ish and she puts a lot of stock in propriety, but she's hot-tempered and arrogant like the rest of her family, and good with a spear.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She dishes a lot of shade at Ana and is every bit as arrogant as Nobuyuki and Nanakuma, but when Nanakuma is sliced open by Fuuma, she's greatly distressed and overcomes her disdain to ask Ana to take good care of him, and later begs her father to spare Yukimura's life, as he's her brother-in-law, however poorly they get along.
- Lady of War: This is how she sees herself. Proper, graceful, and the best with a naginata. Her enthusiasm tips her closer towards Girly Bruiser at points, however.
- Naginatas Are Feminine: She is a master with the spear.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: Komatsu is tiny but a great fighter.