Characters: anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day
The characters of the anime series anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day
open/close all folders
The Super Peace Busters
Jinta "Jintan" Yadomi
De facto leader of the "Super Peace Busters", a six-person gang of True Companions
that tragically dissolved after Menma's death. Once an energetic boy, he has since withdrawn into himself after Menma's and his mother's deaths.
- Always Someone Better: Is this in Yukiatsu's opinion.
- Anger Born of Worry: In Episode 4, Anaru slips near the place where Menma drowned. Jintan catches her arm and holds her from behind only to tighten his grip on her arms and berate her for almost repeating the incident.
- Brilliant but Lazy: Jintan is pretty smart and can pick up new information pretty quickly, but he's so apathetic and lazy he'd rather shut himself in than deal with school.
- Brown Eyes
- By the Eyes of the Blind
- Cannot Spit It Out: His feelings for Menma, until Episode 10.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Anaru. They possibly get together in the ending.
- Classical Anti-Hero: Starts out as one while he's a recluse.
- Deadpan Snarker: Has his moments.
- Defrosting Ice King: Happens as he starts spending more time with his old friends. It is for this very purpose that Menma returned in the first place.
- Did Not Get the Girl: Because said girl died. There's still potential for him to end up with another love interest, though.
- Guilt Complex: Not quite as evident as Anaru or Yukiatsu, but it's still there.
- The Hero
- Hot-Blooded: It's repressed, but it's still there. He was this way mostly as a child, but whenever he gets worked up he tends to yell and raise his voice and speak pretty passionately.
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die: Menma's death has haunted him for years.
- I See Dead People
- Jade-Colored Glasses: Definitely the most jaded out of the whole cast at the beginning, save for maybe Yukiatsu. Ends up going through Character Development in the series to be more of a Knight in Sour Armor.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Keet: As a child.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Becomes this by the end of the series.
- The Leader
- Loners Are Freaks: According to Anaru's friends, he's just a weird shut-in that she shouldn't bother dealing with.
- Magnetic Hero: Yukiatsu even grudgingly admits that even now he still has the charm he possessed as a child.
- My Girl Is Not a Slut: Defended Anaru from her classmates' slander, even though the two were not even a couple. Though, touching as it was, he didn't pass up the chance to berate her, revealing in the process some of her more embarrassing hobbies.
- Never Got to Say Goodbye: He always regretted not being able to apologize to Menma for calling her ugly and confess his feelings for her.
- No Social Skills: As a teen, he is very awkward when dealing with people and often can't speak properly with anyone outside his old social circle.
- Not What It Looks Like: On more than one occasion with Anaru.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Wears one when he goes out in public.
- Parting Words Regret: He deeply regrets that he called Menma ugly during their last moment together when she was alive.
- Puppy Love: His feelings for Menma were mutual. They still like each other despite her being a ghost, but her death means that they can't be together.
- Six Temperament Ensemble: Leukine — Arguably the most balanced of the group, by merit of being The Hero.
- Socially-Awkward Hero
- Stopped Caring
- Troubled, but Cute
- Tsundere: Towards Menma and Anaru.
- Unable to Cry: For both Menma and his mother. In Episode 8 he, with Menma's help, was finally able to mourn his mother, and in Episode 11 he finally sheds tears for Menma as he and the rest of the True Companions bid their final farewells to her.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Menma and Anaru. He possibly gets together with Anaru in the end.
Meiko "Menma" Honma
A girl who died in an accident five years ago, only to reappear as a ghost only Jintan can see. Despite aging in real-time, she retains her cheerful, childlike disposition, and wears the same white one-piece sundress she wore the day she drowned.
Naruko "Anaru" Anjou
A girl who idolized Menma, but at the same time was also jealous of her relationship with Jintan, with whom she kept in touch long after Menma's death. Both even attend the same high school, with Anaru often bringing homework to him whenever he's too lazy to go out.
- Adorkable: Slowly becomes more obvious over the course of the series. She likes video games and manga, loves stuffed animals, and gets embarrassed easily. It's all but stated that she's been trying to shed this image from childhood, but is still very much the same girl from five years ago.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Towards Jintan in Episode 8.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Menma's Betty in terms of personality. The Betty in terms of situation.
- Birds of a Feather: With Yukiatsu. This is why she is seen as Yukiatsu's "backup" for Menma by both Yukiatsu and Tsuruko.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The redhead to blonde Menma and brunette Tsuruko.
- The Chick
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Jintan. They possibly get together in the end.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Date Rape Averted: In Episode 5 a boy nearly forces her to go with him to a love hotel. She is saved by the timely arrival of Yukiatsu.
- Disappeared Dad: He's never seen or mentioned, though her mother is still seen wearing a wedding ring.
- Dogged Nice Girl
- Embarrassing Nickname: Anaru. In a language where there's no difference between "l" and "r"...
- Expy: Looks helluva lot like Jessica Albert. In fact, the only difference between Naruko and Jessica are their clothes and even many fan-artists loves to depict Naruko dressed exactly like Jessica without too many changes. This is somewhat justified in-universe, as she's a Gamer Chick.
- The Fashionista
- Fiery Redhead
- Gamer Chick
- Girlish Pigtails: Comes close to having Mega Twintails, though her curls are only seen on the tips of her hair.
- Girl Next Door
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: Insists that she can't sleep without one of her stuffed animals when she moves to the clubhouse.
- The Glasses Gotta Go
- Green-Eyed Monster
- Guilt Complex: Menma's death constantly torments Anaru.
- Gyaru: Paints her nails, styles her hair and dyes it red, wears false eyelashes, and probably uses her earnings from her part-time job to buy outfits.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Played With — played straight by Yukiatsu, who sees her as his Replacement Love Interest for Menma; inverted in that she's the one with feelings for Jintan; subverted in that while they're currently in a state of Unresolved Sexual Tension, Jintan left her in the cold after she made an Anguished Declaration of Love to him, only to confess right in front of her later that he's still in love with Menma; and finally double subverted in that the ending hints that they eventually will get together.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Blames herself for Menma's death, is easily influenced by others, and has quite the inferiority issues.
- Hopeless Suitor: To Jintan, until the last episode.
- Iconic Outfit: Her own white one piece dress, along with Letting Her Hair Down.
- I Just Want to Be Beautiful: She hated her curly hair and glasses when she was younger because she thought they made her unattractive. Even now she avoids wearing her glasses whenever as possible. It's heavily suggested that her fixation on fashion is due to her insecurity about her own looks.
- I Just Want to Be You: Envied Menma's looks and closer relationship with Jintan and wanted to be her. Tsuruko even comments on how Anaru chooses to wear a white dress just like Menma's in order to appeal Jintan.
- Jerkass Façade: Starts off cold towards Jintan before it's soon revealed that she's a decent person.
- Kick Chick: Her response to Yukiatsu's teasing about how she handles boys is a kick to the side in Episode 9.
- Letting Her Hair Down: Several times throughout the series.
- Madonna–Whore Complex: Anaru is actually a rather prude virgin, but because of her appearance and a near-rape encounter at a love hotel, she earns a reputation among her classmates as an easy slut.
- Naive Every Girl: Quite out of place within her Girl Posse.
- Nerd Glasses: Wore these as a child.
- Not So Different: With Yukiatsu. Both blame themselves for Menma's death, have inferiority issue, and are "kindred spirits" in unrequited love.
- Otaku Surrogate: Is quite the video game nerd and even works part-time at a video game store.
- Pair the Spares: Ultimately subverted. Anaru was Yukiatsu's "backup" for Menma, but the ending hints that she will eventually end up with Jintan, with whom she bore with for many years, instead.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest
- Red-Headed Heroine
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Tsuruko's blue.
- Replacement Love Interest: She wanted to be this to Jintan, but it turns out she's one for Yukiatsu.
- Rescue Romance: Was on a good way to it with Yukiatsu.
- The Resenter: Towards Menma.
- Romantic Runner-Up
- Second Love: Implied to be this for Jintan in the ending.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: While Anaru isn't unattractive at all, she definitely put more effort than usual into looking nice in Episode 3, letting her hair down and wearing a white dress similar to Menma's.
- She Is All Grown Up: According to Yukiatsu.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Anaru insists that Jintan is irreplaceable to her when Tsuruko suggests that Yukiatsu is planning on hooking up with Anaru once Menma is sent to Heaven.
- Six Temperament Ensemble: Phlegmatic — Easily influenced by others and insecure, but overall a nice girl.
- Tsundere: Towards Jintan who actually acts quite Tsundere right back.
- Tsurime Eyes
- Unlimited Wardrobe: While all members of the Super Peace Busters sans Menma use this trope, special mention goes to Anaru, who has the most outfits and hairstyles. Also, slightly played with in that she'll mix and match pieces like shirts or boots to create different ensembles.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Jintan. It's possibly solved in the end.
- Urban Legend Love Life: Gains one of these after she's taken to a love hotel and nearly raped.
- What Does She See in Him?: Yukiatsu asks her what good she still finds in Jintan, pointing out that he's not the same kid they knew.
- Why Can't I Hate You?: Anaru actually feels guilty about being jealous of Menma, since Menma was always very nice to her and a really good friend. She later admits that she feels horrible about having felt relieved when Jintan called Menma ugly.
Atsumu "Yukiatsu" Matsuyuki
A handsome, popular student in a prestigious school with Tsuruko. He used to have a crush on Menma, and is resentful of her relationship with Jintan, especially the fact that only he can see her ghost.
- The Ace: On one hand he's handsome, extremely booksmart, very popular with girls, seen as very cool...
- Broken Ace: On the other he blames himself for Menma's death, resents Jintan and his closeness to her, is unable to interact well with Tsuruko, the only person from the True Companions still close to him, and considered Anaru as his "backup" love interest.
- Always Second Best: Feels this way towards Jintan.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Towards Menma in a flashback in Episode 5.
- Birds of a Feather: With Anaru. This is why Yukiatsu and Tsuruko see Anaru as his "backup" for Menma.
- Break the Haughty
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Tsuruko. He also considers to have this with Anaru. He possibly gets together with Tsuruko in the end.
- Crazy Jealous Guy
- Deadpan Snarker
- Disguised in Drag: Crossdresses as Menma to relieve his obsession of her.
- Guilt Complex
- Hopeless Suitor: Towards Menma.
- Hot Guys Are Bastards
- Hypocrite: Accuses Jintan of being obsessed over Menma when he himself is just as obsessed with her but handles it much worse. Arguably lampshaded by Tsuruko who says he's likely projecting himself to Jintan.
- Hypocritical Humor: When your resident Creepy Crossdresser warns his classmates that there are a lot of weirdos hanging around...
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die: He deeply blames himself for Menma's death and says that her ghost should be haunting him.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: Very prone to acknowledge how handsome, smart, and athletic he is, but constantly feels like he's Always Second Best to Jintan.
- Insult Backfire: You can try pissing him off about his crossdressing, but all you'll really get out of him is a smirk and snide acknowledgement.
- Jerkass/Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Zigzags between these two constantly.
- The Lancer
- Love Makes You Crazy
- Mad Love: To put it subtly.
- Manly Tears: While everyone else has their fair share of tearful moments, special mention goes to the otherwise snarky Yukiatsu, after confessing to his selfish reasons for fulfilling Menma's wish and hearing Poppo's own confession.
- Memetic Mutation: His crossdressing as Menma.
- Not So Different: With Anaru. They both blame themselves for Menma's death, have inferiority issues, and are "kindred spirits" in unrequited love.
- Oblivious to Love: Seems pretty unaware of Tsuruko's feelings for him. Not surprising since she is at best an 'option c' from his perspective.
- Pair the Spares: Ultimately subverted. Anaru was Yukiatsu's "backup" for Menma, but the ending hints that he may eventually end up with Tsuruko instead.
- Rescue Romance: Plays with a thought of invoking this trope with Anaru, when he saves her from a prospect rapist.
- The Resenter
- The Rival
- Six Temperament Ensemble: Choleric — model student on the outside, self-deprecating, resentful teen and obsessive Creepy Crossdresser on the inside.
- The Snark Knight
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Tsurime Eyes
- Unrequited Love Lasts Forever: Though, thankfully, it's hinted that he moves on in the end with Tsuruko.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Tsuruko. It's possibly solved in the end.
- Unwanted Harem: It is indicated that he is fairly popular with his female classmates, though he doesn't so much as bat an eye at them.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Tsuruko. From his point of view, anyway.
- Yandere: He started strangling Jintan at one point.
Chiriko "Tsuruko" Tsurumi
A bespectacled, quiet girl who remained close with Yukiatsu long after the gang dissolved, both attending the same prestigious high school. She has had a crush on him for a long time, and is resentful of his fixation on Menma.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: She's pretty, tall, dark-haired, and aloof.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: In Episodes 10 and 11.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The brunette to blonde Menma and redhead Anaru.
- Brainy Brunette
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Yukiatsu.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Deadpan Snarker/Brutal Honesty: Never fails to mercilessly sum up others' (usually Yukiatsu's) foolish behaviour in a few words.
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Dogged Nice Girl
- Genre Savvy
- Green-Eyed Monster: A mild case. However, she later reveals she isn't jealous of Menma, but of Anaru for being Yukiatsu's Replacement Love Interest and being able to understand him better.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: Towards Yukiatsu when a shopkeeper assumes that she is his girlfriend, and later when two girls confront her twice about her relationship to him.
- Hopeless Suitor: Towards Yukiatsu, despite always being seen around him.
- Important Haircut: She cuts her hair short in Episode 10 following her coming to terms with her unrequited feelings.
- Last Girl Wins: Implied with Yukiatsu.
- Love Martyr: Is well-aware of Yukiatsu's deep-rooted issues but sticks by him in spite of it.
- Not So Above It All: Looks down on the more immature behavior of her friends, especially Yukiatsu's treatment of Jintan due to his jealousy over Menma. However, she tends to act just as cold and critical towards Anaru, out of her own jealousy.
- Also, despite her promise not to spread it round, she reveals Yukiatsu's penchant for crossdressing to a few of his would-be suitors out of jealousy, after having seen him ask Anaru out a couple of times.
- Only Sane Woman: Looks at things practically when it comes to the gang's antics (a trait that goes back since childhood) and is a definite one in Episode 10 when she is the only one (other than Jintan) who is bothered and openly protests when everyone else puts Jintan on the spotlight and goads him to confess his feelings for Menma.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest: Very patient, considering she recognised herself as the last in line for Yukiatsu's feelings after Menma and Anaru.
- The Quiet One
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Anaru's red.
- Sarcastic Confession: "His (Yukiatsu's) hobby is crossdressing."
- Sarcastic Devotee: To Yukiatsu.
- Shipper on Deck: Near the end she confessed that she was hoping that Jintan and Anaru would get together once Menma passed on to Heaven. This is because she wanted to be Ship Mates with Yukiatsu.
- Six Temperament Ensemble: Melancholic — A smart girl who is critical of her friends but also comfortable on her own.
- The Smart Girl
- The Stoic
- Not So Stoic: She finally breaks down in tears as she confesses to her selfish reasons for fulfilling Menma's wish.
- Stoic Spectacles
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Has grown into one.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- Third-Option Love Interest: To Yukiatsu.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Yukiatsu. It's possibly solved in the end.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Yukiatsu. She later also becomes sort of this with Anaru.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Tetsudou "Poppo" Hisakawa
An awkward child who idolized Jintan for his "coolness" and joined the Super Peace Busters. After Menma's death he began traveling the world, funding it with his part-time jobs, and stays in their old hut when not abroad.
Voiced by: Mitsuru Ogata
Jintan's father, who is very understanding of what his son sets out to do.
Jintan's deceased mother, who appears to have a great connection to the story in the present time.
Voiced by: Makoto Yasumura
Menma's father and a businessman.
Menma's mother, a lady who is actually from Russia.
- Hikikomori: According to Satoshi, Irene refuses to leave the house or see other people.
- Parents as People - Parental Neglect: It's implied that Irene, in her grief for the loss of Menma, somewhat neglected Satoshi afterwards.
- The Resenter: Irene resents the rest of the Super Peace Busters for being able to grow up and leave Menma behind.
- The movie shows that she got better, and no longer resents the Super Peace Busters. She even suggests Satoshi to invite them to visit their home.
- Stepford Smiler
Menma's little brother.
Voiced by: Kimiko Saito
Anaru's mother, who enjoys teasing her in front of her friends, but can be quite a harsh disciplinarian, according to Anaru.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents
- Beware the Nice Ones: She is genuinely caring towards Jintan and Poppo when they visit her house, and implies that she missed seeing them when she remarked that it had been a long time since they last visited. However, she apparently chews Anaru out so much over the false rumors that Anaru decides to run away to the secret base.
- Curtains Match The Windows
Aki and Haruna
Anaru's so-called "friends," who could... be better people on the whole.
- Alpha Bitch
- Poisonous Friend: Both of them.
- Those Two Girls
- Toxic Friend Influence: Aki and Haruna belittle Jintan before her and threaten her with ending their friendship to keep her in check, and once got her into serious trouble during trip to a karaoke bar with a couple of older men. Though the ending seems to suggest they're getting better, protectively guarding Anaru from Jintan. It looks like they really are looking out for her best interests.