- Menma is driven to tears more than once.
"Onee-chan was a bit air-headed, so maybe she hasn't even realized she died."
- From episode one, no less:
- One of the worst instances of this is in Episode 10 when Yukiatsu calls for all the friends gathered at the Secret Base to reenact "the question" that had driven a wedge in the group and indirectly led to Menma's death. (The question being "Do you love Menma?", directed at Jintan.)
- Episode 5, when Poppo's request for Menma to come out and reveal her wish slowly leads to him pleading in desperation for her to appear...which causes Menma to cry, in turn. It's harsher when you realize why Poppo is so desperate to help Menma out.
"Do I look like her? Well, tell me? DO I?"
- At the start of that episode, Yukiatsu's total meltdown after he's found out to have been crossdressing as Menma and admits his guilt over what he believes was his part in killing Menma, and how he'd been expecting Menma to appear before him to haunt or curse him for that.
- Anaru is driven to tears by her classmates' rumormongering in Episode 6, then to happy tears by Jintan standing up for her. Mrs. Honma also tears up when Jintan, Poppo, and Anaru come to pay respects to Menma.
- Jinta, when he remembers that Menma will disappear forever if her wish is granted.
- Anaru again during her Anguished Declaration of Love.
- Irene Honma, Menma's mother, in Episode 8 as she berates the group for growing up when Menma can't.
- Episode 9. Just Episode 9.
- Episode 10 "Thank you for doing this for me today! I'm going to Heaven tomorrow. I want to be friends with everyone til the end. Thank you."
- Episode 11. Literally Up to 11.
- The main characters save Menma finally busting their big dam of feels to one another, revealing their deepest shames. Poppo, who has been a Stepford Smiler for the full show, reveals he saw Menma die and ran away to escape the guilt of not saving her.
- Menma's letters to her friends, telling them what she loves about them. Especially the one to Jintan - "I love you, Jintan. My love for you is the sort of love where I want to marry you."
- The song "I Left You", playing when Menma appears to be dying a second death due to her wish being granted, The Reveal that her wish began with a promise she'd made to Jintan's mother, and Jintan carrying Menma over his shoulders as he rushes back to the Secret Base.
- Jintan losing his ability to see Menma, after being the only one who could for so long.
- FOUND YOU, MENMA!!!
- You found me...
- Let's just say the entire final episode, in which all the characters and most of the viewers spent most of it bawling their eyes out. Chances are your heart strings were twinged or a lump brought to your throat... or just full-on bawling.
- The Movie actually manages to make it worse, by showing what happens after Menma disappeared.
- The thick air of nostalgia is enough to make for at least one per episode.
- How much of a tear jerker this anime is, it's consistently listed as #1 in the list of tearjerking anime.
- "Mom...do you know how tall I am?"
Tear Jerker / anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day
Hoo boy. This show may as well be Tear Jerkers: The Series