Tomomi Tsuruta (March 25, 1951 May 13, 2000) was a Japanese Professional Wrestler who competed from 1973-1999 as Jumbo Tsuruta. He got his start in the Funk family's promotion in Amarillo, Texas, where he was the first Japanese wrestler to get over as a face in the U.S. He competed primarily for All Japan Pro Wrestling, though he made appearances in a variety of National Wrestling Alliance territories. Among his in-ring achievements, he was the inaugural and 3x All Japan Pro Wrestling Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion, a 7x All Japan Pro Wrestling World Tag Team Champion, and a 1x AWA World Heavyweight Champion. He was inducted into the Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame in 1996.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki.
- Arch-Enemy: Genichiro Tenryu
- Captain Ersatz: A favorite of Fire Pro Wrestling.
- Face: He may have been the first Japanese wrestler to get over as a good guy in the United States since World War II.
- Finishing Move: Bridging belly to back suplex, Powerbomb
- Game-Breaking Injury: When he was diagnosed with Hepatitis B in 1992. This led to him being Demoted to Extra, mostly working comedy matches.
- Genius Bruiser: He had a bachelor's degree in political science and later earned a master's degree in coaching.
- I Know Collegiate Wrestling: At Chou University. He won amateur championships in freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling in 1971 and 1972. He went to the Olympics in 1972 but didn't win anything. He also trained in sambo with Victor Koga.
- Lightning Bruiser: Big, strong, would regularly dish out jumping knees and dropkicks, and was no stranger to diving from the ropes either.
- Named by Democracy: While in Amarillo, a fan contest led to him being given the name "Jumbo."
- Red Baron: Waka Daisho ("young boss"), Kaibutsu ("monster")
- Tag Team: with Yoshiaki Yatsu.