Raymond "Ray" Fernandez (May 7, 1956 March 6, 2004) was an American Bodybuilder and Professional Wrestler from Tampa, Florida best known for his work in the 1980s as Hercules Hernandez, or simply Hercules. He debuted in 1979 and wrestled for various National Wrestling Alliance territories. He arrived in WWE in 1985 as a Heel managed by "Classy" Freddie Blassie. As part of Blassie's retirement in 1986, he sold Hercules' contract to the debuting Slick, though Slick sold it to Bobby Heenan. He turned Face in 1988 and stayed that way until he went Heel again and teamed up with Paul Roma as Power and Glory, with Slick as their manager. That ended when Roma left in 1991. Hercules left for WCW in 1992 and had a small run as the masked Super Invader. He dropped the mask and jumped to New Japan Pro-Wrestling and formed The Jurassic Powers with Scott Norton in 1993. He left in 1994 and finished his career in the independents, retiring in 1999. He passed away from heart disease on March 6, 2004.
Among his in-ring achievements, he was a 2x NWA Central States Tag Team Champion with Dewey Robertson (The Missing Link), a 1x NWA Central States Television Champion, a 1x Mid-South Tag Team Champion with Ted DiBiase, a 2x NWA Florida Heavyweight Champion, a 1x NWA Southern (Florida) Heavyweight Champion and a 1x New Japan IWGP Tag Team Champion with Scott Norton as The Jurassic Powers.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki.
- Alliterative Name: Hercules Hernandez
- Arch-Enemy: Hulk Hogan, Billy Jack Haynes, Ultimate Warrior, Bobby Heenan, Ted DiBiase, Earthquake, The Rockers
- Badass Beard: Until he shaved it down to a Badass Mustache
- The Brute: As a heel
- Chained by Fashion/Chain Pain: Herc carried a very long chain and he wasn't afraid to use it.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: Most of his gimmick centered around his strength.
- Finishing Move: "Back Breaker" Torture Rack, Full Nelson, Power-Plex (with Paul Roma)
- HeelFace Revolving Door: Teamed with Mr. Wrestling II as a face, worked heel in Florida, arrived in WWE as a Heel, turned face, went heel again...
- I Have Many Names: Hercules, Hercules Hernandez, Assassin #2, Mr. Wrestling III, Super Invader
- Made a Slave: Ted DiBiase attempted to buy Hercules from Bobby Heenan to be a slave. Herc wasn't too happy about it.
- Muscles Are Meaningful: Look at the picture. He had been a bodybuilder prior to his wrestling career and was featured in many muscle magazines.
- Only One Name: WWE dropped "Hernandez" in 1986, leaving him as "Hercules."
- Power Stable:
- Putting the Band Back Together: He and Roma reunited in 1995 to win the IAW (Independent Association of Wrestling) Tag Team Titles.
- Red Baron: "The Mighty"
- Shout-Out: To Hercules, of course.
- Spicy Latino: Downplayed. According to Blassie's Autobiography Listen, You Pencil Neck Geeks, he was supposed to be from South America, but Blassie told him, "Don't ever tell anybody where you're from."
- Tag Team:
- The Assassins (as Assassain #2, with Assassin #1 [Jody Hamilton])
- Power And Glory
- The Jurassic Powers