John Jay Sutton (January 16, 1949 March 20, 2011) was an American Professional Wrestling manager from Minneapolis, MN known for his work in various National Wrestling Alliance territories and other promotions during the 1970s and 1980s as Sir Oliver Humperdink. He started his career in Montreal, Quebec, Canada in 1973. Don "The Spoiler" Jardine and Dale Hey (later known as Buddy Roberts of the Fabulous Freebirds) are credited with coming up with the name, with the intention of getting Heel heat because of how the Francophone fans hated anything English. He worked primarily as a manager, though he did briefly hold the NWA Florida Heavyweight Title, which he awarded to Ed "The Bull" Gantner, and the NWA Central States Television Title. He also had a short run in WWE as a Face from 1987-1988 as the manager for Bam Bam Bigelow and "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff. He died from bladder cancer and pneumonia on March 20, 2011.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki.
"House of Troperdink"
- Arch-Enemy: Dusty Rhodes, Lex Luger, Eddie Gilbert, Jimmy Valiant, Piper's Palace
- Beard of Evil
- Carry a Big Stick: As seen above.
- Costume Porn: He wore very colorful outfits.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: In a promo to hype his team The Shock Troops (Ed "The Bull" Gantner and Kareem Muhammad)' match at CWF Battle of the Belts III, September 1, 1986, he called their opponents THE ROAD WARRIORS "those two puffed-up geeks, Itsy and Bitsy."
- Downer Ending: His death at age 62.
- Evil Redhead
- Fat Bastard/Fan Disservice: Arn Anderson said in a shoot interview that the best rib he ever saw was Diamond Dallas Page getting stripped naked in the ring and Humperdink giving DDP his shirt to cover himself with it and that the fans were more disgusted by the shirtless Humperdink than by the naked DDP.
- Heel: Backstage, he didn't like having to work face when he was in WWE.
- I Have Many Names: Red Sutton, Sir Oliver Humperdink, Rooster Humperdink, Big Daddy Dink (as the manager for the Fabulous Freebirds [Michael Hayes and Jimmy Garvin] in 1991 in WCW.)
- Non-Action Guy: He wrestled at some points, but it wasn't his role.
- Power Stable: The House of Humperdink, which, in its various incarnations, included, among others, Abdullah the Butcher, Bruiser Brody, Bad News Allen, the Cuban Assassin (Dave "Fidel" Sierra), The One Man Gang, "Superstar" Billy Graham, "The Russian Bear" Ivan Koloff, Don Muraco, Greg "The Hammer" Valentine, Nikolai Volkoff, Outlaw Ron Bass, Kendo Nagasaki, Hercules Hernandez, Nord the Barbarian, the Ninja (Keiji Muto/The Great Muta), Dory Funk Jr., Paul Jones, Gene Anderson, Matt Borne and many more.
- Red Baron: "The Big Kahuna"
- Tag Team: Apart from those in the HOH: