Moon Sticks is a series of Sailor Moon comic strips written by Chibi Jennifer, drawn in an adorable chibi style. Starting in 2009, these four-frame comic strips discusses, lampshades and pokes fun at the perplexing situations and inconsistencies of the original anime in a light-hearted and humorous way.
This work provides examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: It's clear from the website that Chibi Jennifer is a big Sailor Moon fan, as well as the URL/name of the comic,note but that doesn't mean that she'll hold back on mocking her favorite series.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Sailor Mars fighting in her Combat Stilettos. The moment her team's back is turned, she slips off her heels and rubs her feet, which are covered in blisters.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Zoisite's Sailor Moon disguise in Season 1 works better here for a reason: the comic is monochromatic.
- Character Check: Chibi Jennifer's strips often keep character consistency that is occasionally overlooked in the anime. For example, Sailor Jupiter prepares to use Supreme Thunder but is interrupted by Usagi (as Sailor Moon) screaming because she has a Fear of Thunder (which was the plot of one episode).
- Clark Kenting: Parodied to the max in issue 64, in which Mamoru points out that the Sailor Fuku costume is just a skimpier version of Usagi's Joshikousei school uniform.
- Disappeared Dad: Played for laughs when Kenji-papa overhears Usagi asking Luna if she had a father in her past life (as Princess Serenity of the Silver Millennium). Of course, he doesn't get the whole conversation.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Usagi's old school friend Naru is briefly mentioned when Usagi explains that her family fled the city after too many kidnappings. Umino's face appears in the corner, looking offended, to remind Usagi that he also went through Chuck Cunningham Syndrome as well, but Usagi doesn't notice (it was most likely for the reader, though).
- Frilly Upgrade:
- Hide Your Lesbians: Provides the page image involving Haruka and Michiru, specifically in reference to the original English dub which turned them from lesbians into cousins without removing the romantic tones. In the strip, a mother tries to convince her child that the girls are cousins, but the kid, seeing them clearly cuddling in a romantic manner, decides that they're lesbian cousins.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: Constantly discusses the anime's Damsel in Distress cliche:
- This Loser Is You: One issue had Usagi buying enough Sailor Moon merchandise to bury her in a room. Considering the issue was released at the time of Sailor Moon Crystal's announcement/release, the strip is clearly mocking Sailor Moon fan sensibility.
- Tokyo Is the Center of the Universe: Jadeite attempted to defy this, but Queen Beryl claims that it'd be too expensive to infiltrate anywhere else on Earth that Usagi doesn't live.
- Transformation Is a Free Action: Exaggerated in issue 39 in which Usagi's Transformation Sequence is so long that she fails to stop the villains.
- Unexplained Recovery: Sailor Pluto/Setsuna suddenly appears in Haruka and Michiru's living room as they are moaning about not being allowed to appear in the SuperS season. They are expectantly shocked.Haruka: Didn't you die last season?! ExplanationSetsuna: [Face Fault] You're right...
- Uranus Is Showing: Sailor Star Healer once mocked Sailor Uranus's name, in response to Uranus cackling at the attack Star Gentle Uterus.