Metal Family is a series of animated shorts about a Russian Family, consisting of Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy dad Sebastian "Glam", biker wife Victoria, and their children, the Deadpan Snarker "Dee", and Heavy. The series follows the family's creative ways of dealing with everyday problems in a slice-of-life manner.
The series is Russian, but gets English subtitles applied sometime after the episode's release on YouTube, under a channel of the same name. Its pilot episode/music video "The Story ain't Over" (sung by Avantasia) has been surfing around the web for a while.
An official English dub will be released here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuiERoR0BqE-6A7OZf38dKQ
- Abusive Parents: Glam grew up with his father, who would beat him on the wrist with a ruler for anything.
- Accidental Misnaming: Glam is misnamed 'Glen', by one of Heavy's teachers in the first episode.
- Babies Ever After: The end of the pilot song reveals that after dating and marrying, Glam and Vicky had Dee and Heavy.
- Book-Ends: Episode 1 features Twisted Sister's "We're not gonna take it", episode 9 ends with Glam playing the same song on a vinyl he got from Che making it the first metal song he ever heard.
- Born Lucky: Che. If winning at cards without ever checking them wasn't enough proof, he managed to get the highest score at the entrance to music academy, while it's implied he had no formal training at all.
- Childhood Friend: Glam's friend Che, who comes late to a family poker game. Episode 9 goes into more detail of how the two first met as children.
- Couch Gag: The title card is done by a key-holder the family uses. The family members who are in the episode will already have put their keys on their hooks, with the focus character just hanging his up. Each dose a good job of showing their personality:
- Vicky slams her keys on the hook with force.her keychain is her shining nameplate
- Glam gingerly sets his on the hook. His keychain is a pink Twisted Sister logo.
- Dee cool spins his keys onto his hook.
- Heavy attempts to throw his on the hook as he excitedly speeds by. Only to have to turn around and pick them up. His keychain is some monster head.
- Dub Name Change: Gopher is renamed Chipmunk in the English dub. Ches is also renamed "Chiv" for the tenth episode joke to work.
- Everything's Better with Sparkles: Glam's office the first episode is covered in the stuff from a glitter bomb, that he later uses at Heavy's school, as payback for them cutting the boys hair.
- Falling-in-Love Montage: After getting hospitilized together, which allowed Glam to return Vicky's biker keys, they start dating. Glam shows his artwork of Vicky to her, they go to concerts (heavy metal and ballet), Vicky teacher him to ride a motorcycle, and etc.
- Fiery Redhead: Vicky and Heavy have orange hair and both have shown to be more Hot-Blooded than Dee and Glam.
- Love at First Sight: Glam is clearly over the moon upon Vicky for the first time.
- Mama Bear: The ending of episode 1 has Vicky coming to Heavy's school with a weapon and angry at what the teachers did to her son.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Vicky is a muscular Biker Babe who swears a lot; Glam is a thinner man who loves ballet along with metal rock, decorates his office with glitter, and wears bright clothing when exercising.
- Mistaken Identity: Glam's sister looks so like him, Vicky mistakes her for Glam in drag. When realizing her mistake, the sister simply says, "I get it".
- Origins Episode: The two part season finale reveals about Glam's past as it shows how he was raised by his rich strict family, how he first met Che, how he begins to get attracted to metal music, how they formed a band, how he decided to runaway from his family, and how he became who he is now and made his band a success before he met his future wife Victoria
- Papa Wolf: Glam was seething when he found out that Heavy's teachers cut off his hair against his will and set off a glitter in response. He later programmed a security system to protect both Heavy and Dee from dangerous sites.
- Parent-Child Team: Done during episode 6 in a escape room. Glam and Dee break the record time. Vicky and Heavy sledgehammer their way though a brick wall.
- Posthumous Character: Glam's father is revealed to be dead in episode 5 but appears in the flashback of episode 9.
- Strong Family Resemblance:
- Dee and Heavy look remarkably like Glam and Vicky, respectively.
- Glam and his sister look so much alike that Vicky mistook her for him in drag.
- Episode 9 shows Glam got his looks from his abusive father.
- Strong Girl, Smart Guy: Vicky is a muscular woman who can a smash through a brick wall while Glam can deduce riddles easily and program softwares.
- The Unfavorite: Glam was one - his parents always treated him as second best to his sister, even when he got better results at music school entry exams
- Unrequited Love: A subversion. Glam gets constantly snubbed by Vicky, who thinks he's trying to give her something as a way of hitting on her. While he doesn't give up and is clearly in love with her, he was just trying to return her bike keys. She ends up returning his feelings and they both get married with sons.
- Uptown Guy: Glam is shown to come from a more affluent family than Vicky.
- Wacky Parent, Serious Child: Downplayed; when Vicky reacts violently to come people insulting her, Dee calmly watches from the side.