Green Green is an anime series, adapted from an H-Game and a light novel of the same name. It is set in Kanenone Gakuen ("Sound of the Bell Academy"), an isolated all-boys Boarding School at the start of the story. However, the Powers That Be send them a busload of girls to make it co-ed. The first girl off the bus is Midori Chitose, who pounces on Ordinary High-School Student Yuusuke Takazaki saying she's in love with him. Yuusuke has no idea who Midori is, but Midori thinks they were lovers in a past life.
- Yuusuke Takazaki, the Ordinary High-School Student main male character.
- Tadatomo Ijuuin (nickname "Bacchi-Guu"), the leader of the Baka Trio, and the Gonk.
- Hikaru Ichiban-Boshi, a member of the Baka Trio. A Casanova Wannabe who thinks himself a great ladies' man, but fails.
- Taizo Tenjin, the other member of the Baka Trio, who has an unusual fetish: he has a younger sister complex and wants girls, especially Sanae, to call him "onii-chama" ("big brother")
- Midori Chitose, the main female character.
- Futaba Kutsuki, the boy-hating Tsundere Tomboy who grows to like Yuusuke.
- Reika Morimura, a mysterious girl determined to keep Midori and Yuusuke apart. It's her job to keep fate the way it is, after all.
- Sanae Minami, the sickly young girl who is terrified of Tenjin's insane, bombastic love for her.
- Wakaba Kutsuki, Futaba's simple-minded younger sister whose cactus, Togemura (literally "thorn village", sometime translated as "Mr. Thorns") can apparently tell the future.
- Chigusa Iino, the hot nurse of the girl's school who comes to supervise them. Very easy-going and a total Hard-Drinking Party Girl.
This work has examples of:
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: It seems the anime goes this route at first, in the girls bathing scene in episode 2.. however, from there on out, nipples ahoy!
- Bears Are Bad News: As Tadatomo knows, intimately.
- Bittersweet Ending: Midori has to sacrifice her life force in order to save Yuusuke's life. Reiki then is willing to save Midori's life, but to do so she has to return to the 31st century. Worst still, the act of returning Midori to the future has wiped everyone's memory that she was there except for Yuusuke.
- Black Comedy Rape: Repeatedly. The most prominent examples are Bachi-Guu by ''bear'' and Reiko to a group of monkeys.
- Defeat by Modesty: Subverted. Futaba almost gives up and loses the competition for domination over the bath between the boys and girls, but Yuusuke throws the match and asks for a Modesty Towel to cover up her wet clothes.
- Fan Disservice: Whenever the Baka Trio are doing anything perverted, including showing up nude a LOT. Episode 6 goes Up to Eleven when they get locked in the PE storage closet and have a "virtual seduction" contest, the humidity causing them to quickly go nuts and eventually end up totally nude and in a threesome, while hallucinating that the other guys are the girls of their dreams.
- H-Game: The anime is based on the eroge of the same name. The first game has the same cast as the anime, but dispenses with Reika because the "past life lovers" concept was only added for the anime, so she no longer has a use. The second game only retains Midori, while the third retains Midori and Futaba.
- Hentai: The final omake episode.
- Hot Springs Episode: The second episode. Plenty more follow after that, including the recap episode.
- Informed Deformity: Haruno Arisa is supposed to have a hideous face, yet she doesn't look all that different from the other girls to the viewer. The dub goes one step further by adding a nasally voice that makes her sound like she's constantly congested.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Midori decides to let Yuusuke to be happy with Futaba, and encourages both of them to be together. In the games, they become an Official Couple with a child.
- Omake: All three DVDs released in North America contain an omake episode consisting of 3 shorts each. Each one is perverted in their own right and always joke around with Innocent Innuendo, but the third episode (not licensed for the dub) of the omake dives right into Hentai territory with Wakaba innocently mistaking Sanae's nipples and clitoris as poisonous mosquito bites, which she was under the impression she had to suck out the poison. The actions are quite graphic.
- One-Gender School: Before the girls arrive.
- The Peeping Tom: The male supporting cast does get caught up on this in pretty much every episode.
- Recap Episode: The most fanservice-filled recap episode ever made. Episode 8 depicts all the females taking a bath together, breasts fully exposed.
- Reincarnation Romance: What Midori thinks her love for Yuusuke is.
- Spiritual Successor: The three Green Green H-games were created by a company called Groover between 2001 and 2005. In 2006, many of the same staff created a similar H-game named Edelweiss with the company Overdrive.
- Those Two Guys : Three. The Baka Trio really offers little to the story aside from some comedy and perhaps some Fan Disservice.
- Tsundere: Futaba. In fact, she is a perfect example of this trope.