After Star Fox was released for the Super Nintendo, Nintendo wanted more games to show off the capabilities of the new FX Chip. Thus, Stunt Race FX (known as Wild Trax in Japan) was created. Using the Super FX Chip, Stunt Race FX was able to render fully 3D vehicles and race tracks.
In addition to the standard race modes, Stunt Race FX also has a mode called Stunt Trax, where the player drives their vehicle over 3D rendered jumps, ramps and hills in an attempt to grab stars.
Stunt Race FX provides examples of:
- Balance, Power, Skill, Gimmick: 4WD is a sturdy truck that has good acceleration but a low top speed. Coupe is well-rounded, with average acceleration, top speed and durability. The race car styled F-Type is fragile and slow to accelerate but has the highest top speed. 2WD has average acceleration and a high top speed, but, due to having two wheels, can have issues with balance.
- Bonus Stage: Halfway through each of the three difficulty classes there is a bonus level where the player takes control of the large Trailer and drives through an obstacle course to gain additional time that can be used in the remaining two courses.
- Bubbly Clouds: The level Sky Ramp is set on a track in the clouds.
- Death Mountain: The level Big Ravine is set in a massive chasm complete with lightning and falling rocks.
- Port Town: The final level is Harbor City, a track by the water, which the player can fall into if they're not careful.
- Race Against the Clock: The main game, Speed Trax, is made up of three difficulty classes, each containing four races that form a cup. However, even though there are three other vehicles that you compete against, you aren't awarded points at the end of each race. (Though if you finish fourth you will lose a life.) Instead there is an omnipresent timer that is counting down. More time can be gained by completing laps and passing through checkpoints. If the timer runs out, you lose a life.
- Sentient Vehicle: All the vehicles in the game are alive, complete with eyes that look around.
- Shark Tunnel: Aqua Tunnel has a see through tunnel letting you peer out into the water.
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World: White Land is covered in snow.