Shining Series is an Eastern RPG franchise from Sega. The games are all set in the same universe, with minor characters and locations being referenced; however, sequels rarely acknowledge earlier events.
Sega always regarded it with disfavor, and the series has an alarming tendency to switch genres, causing fans to never know quite what they're getting themselves in for.
Not to be confused with the film called The Shining, nor with the black metal band Shining.
Games in the Shining franchise:
open/close all folders
Shining Force Series
The original Shining saga. Virtually all of the games in this series are Turn-Based Strategy RPGs, and unlike the other Shining games are linked in one overarching continuity.
- Shining in the Darkness<!—/index—> (1991, Sega Genesis)
- <!—index—>Shining Force (1992, Sega Genesis) - The game that codified the strategy RPG games of the series.
- Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon (2004, Game Boy Advance) - A remake of Shining Force.
- Shining Force Gaiden<!—/index—> (1992, Game Gear)
- Shining Force Chronicle I (2005, Mobile)
- Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya (1993, Game Gear)
- Shining Force Chronicle II (2005, Mobile)
- Shining Force II (1993, Sega Genesis)
- Shining Force CD<!—/index—> (1994, Sega CD)
- <!—index—>Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict (1995, Game Gear)
- Shining Force Chronicle III (2005, Mobile)
- Shining Wisdom<!—/index—> - ( 1995, Sega Saturn)
- <!—index—>Shining the Holy Ark (1996, Sega Saturn)
- Shining Force III (Sega Saturn) - Released in parts, including:
- Scenario 1: God Warrior of the Kingdom (1997)
- Scenario 2: Target: Child of God (1998, Japan only)
- Scenario 3: Bulzome Rising (1998, Japan only)
Tony Taka Games
Games in this series are only vaguely connected chronologically and thematically, but all feature Tony Taka as the main artist. This mainly comprises the "modern" Shining games and are predominantly action RPGs.
- Shining Tears<!—/index—> - Released 2004 for the PlayStation 2.
- Shining Wind (2007, PlayStation 2)
- Shining Tears X Wind (2007) - An anime adaptation of Shining Wind.
- Shining Wind X (2008, Mobile)
- Shining Hearts<!—/index—> (2010, PlayStation Portable)
- Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan<!—/index—> (2012) - An anime adaptation of Shining Hearts.
- Shining Blade (2012, PlayStation Portable)
- Shining Ark (2013, PlayStation Portable)
- Shining Resonance<!—/index—> (2014, PlayStation 3) - Received an Updated Re-release in 2018 for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and Steam.
- BLADE ARCUS from Shining (2014, Arcade) - A Massive Multiplayer Crossover fighting game that features characters from the "Tony Taka" Shining games.
- Blade Arcus from Shining EX (2015, PS3 and PlayStation 4)
- Blade Arcus from Shining: Battle Arena (2016, Steam) - Updated Re-release.
- Blade Arcus Rebellion from Shining (2019, PS4 and Nintendo Switch) - Second Updated Re-release.
Miscellaneous Shining Games
- Shining Soul<!—/index—> (2002, Game Boy Advance) - Debuted the first action RPG in the franchise, making a Genre Shift into a Hack and Slash with tactical elements.
- <!—index—> Shining Soul II (2003, Game Boy Advance)
- Shining Road to the Force<!—/index—> (2005, Mobile)
- Shining Force Neo (2005, PlayStation 2)
- Shining Road II (2006, Mobile)
- Shining Force EXA (2007, PlayStation 2)
- Shining Force Feather<!—/index—> (2009, Nintendo DS)
- Shining Force Cross (2009, Arcade)
- Shining Force Cross Raid (2010) - Title update.
- Shining Force Cross Illusion (2012) - Title update.
- Shining Force Cross Exlesia (2013) - Title update.
<!—index—>It also has two animes;
- Shining Tears X Wind - Based on Shining Wind, originally broadcast in Japan 2007.
- Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan<!—/index—> - based on Shining Hearts, broadcast in Spring 2012.