She Dreams Elsewhere is a surreal adventure indie RPG developed by Studio Zevere (a one-man studio), with original music composed by Mimi Page. It focuses on the story of Thalia Sullivan, a high strung, anxiety-ridden, comatose woman on a journey to defeat the nightmares preventing her from awakening, while also finding out how exactly this mess happened in the first place.
But sadly for Thalia, some nightmares are harder to confront than others
Minor spoilers below. View at your own risk.
This video game contains examples of:
- Arc Words
- "Sweet dreams" and variations thereof.
- Big Bad: The Other, Thalia's (supposedly) evil doppelganger.
- Body Horror: Laury goes from his normal dog form to a repulsive, vicious creature when Thalia and Amia face him at the end of Oblivion.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Bronco, who genuinely believes you can train a fish to run up trees if you try hard enough, among other oddities. Thalia seems to have a pretty good friendship with him, regardless.
- Critical Hit: A literal round of applause goes off whenever you strike one. There's even special charms that allow you to increase the rate it happens!
- Dark and Troubled Past: Implied with Thalia.
- Dialogue Tree: A major part of most cutscenes and NPC interactions.
- Dream Tropes
- Hub Level: The Mirage, where Thalia can access her various dreamworlds, shop, and hang out with imaginary versions of her friends.
- Journey to the Center of the Mind: The main premise and conflict.
- Medium Blending: The second teaser trailer mixes gameplay and live-action footage of a woman having a nightmare.
- Mind Screw: The entire game qualifies as one, though special mention goes out to the trippy battle backgrounds.
- Noodle Incident: Apparently something happened between Thalia and Amia during New Year's, to which Thalia is still pissed about.Amia: Hey, once we're out of here, let's have a girls night. We'll go out or chill inside or something.
Thalia: Only if it doesn't end up like New Years' again.
Amia: Are you ever gonna let that go?
Amia: You hoe.
- Preexisting Encounters
- Retraux Games: The entire game is done in a pixelated black and white, original Game-Boy style mixed with CGA colors.