Shining Tears X Wind is a Japanese anime based on the PlayStation 2 games Shining Wind. Shining Tears X Wind presents an adapted version of Shining Wind's story, seen from the perspective of the character Souma. It is directed by Hiroshi Watanabe and produced by Studio Deen. The series started airing in Japan on April 6, 2007, and finished airing on June 29, 2007. The anime has the same opening and ending themes as the game Shining Tears. A sequel to this is a mobile game entitled Shining Wind X, which was released in January 2008.
It is about four High School students discovering End Earth, a fantasy world that is parallel to theirs. Souma Akizuki the show's protagonist becomes the world's protector and must stop his two friends Kiriya and Saionji from killing each other. The series runs for thirteen episodes.
A character page is under construction
This series provides examples of:
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: Souma does this to Mao a few times.
- An Ice Person: Blanc Neige.
- Anti-Villain: Saionji/Traihard wants to save the world even if he has to do some terrible things.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: Xion becomes Zero after he was able to combine the Yin and Yang parts of his dragon rings in Shining Tears.
- Cast Full of Pretty Boys: Every male character who isn't a beastman is a total Bishōnen. There is four in total which range from pretty muscular like Souma and Saionji, to downright Dude Looks Like a Lady like Caris. Kiriya is somewhere in the middle.
- Cat Girl: Mao.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The final battle with the Big Bad is built up to the episode before. And then he dies at the very beginning of the next episode very abruptly. The rest of the episode is basically just the ending.
- Death Is a Slap on the Wrist: When Zechti dies they just put her back together. When Ryuna and Lazarus die they are just revived by Zero. When Killrain dies he just becomes a happy spirit. Any death in this series other than the Big Bad and Shumari is a slap on the wrist.
- Demoted to Extra: Kureha went from the main female character to a useless extra after she served her purpose as Souma's Romantic False Lead.
- Only in the anime though since the anime has Souma's perspective and she's with Kiriya at this point.
- The ones who really didn't get to appear in the anime, nor the game in Valeria were Volg, Pios, Keiner, and Cupido.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: How soul bladers get their sword from the other person.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: The opening is sung by Soichiro Hoshi, which is also the opening of Shining Tears.
- Fanservice: Blanc Neige's shower scene.
- Also Souma's shirtless scene.
- Another one for the ladies was Souma's ultimate soul blade was within Kiriya. Take note, this also happens in the video game.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings: Zero has one of each.
- Grand Theft Me: The Big Bad does this to Killrain.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Souma's include:
- Heroic Sacrifice: Zechti makes one to save Kiriya from being killed by Traihard.
- She is later revived by Traihard.
- Interspecies Romance: Kiriya and Zechti a human and a clone of an elf.
- Also Souma and Mao get a lot of Ship Tease and the two do seem to have feelings for eachother. Souma being a human and Mao a quarter-beast.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: Mao is a princess. That plot point happens very late in Shining Tears.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After Xion finds out he accidentally killed Lazarus and Ryuna, he snaps out from his Superpowered Evil Side and gains his other half wing, turning him into Zero.
- Out-of-Character Moment: So lets get this straight Kiriya is madly in love with Zechti, yet he is perfectly fine with leaving her and never seeing her again and doesn't get the slightest bit emotional when he does it.
- Perspective Flip: Souma is the protagonist of the anime, while Kiriya is the protagonist of the game.
- The Power of Love: How Saionji and Kiriya get their holy grails.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Elwyn despite being an excellent fighter is also the comic relief of the group.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Lassi.
- Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Trailer: Souma despite being the show's protagonist has a minor barely noticeable spot on the poster. Most of Weissritter gets the spotlight.
- Plus other important characters like Kiriya and Saionji don't even appear on it.