Keio Flying Squadron (known as Keio Yugekitai in Japanese) is a series of video games developed by Victor Entertainment, which includes three games. The first game, for the Sega CD, is a standard Horizontal Scrolling Shooter. The second game, for the Sega Saturn, is a 2D Platform Game, and the third game is a party game for the PlayStation.
The series follows the adventures of a 14-year-old girl named Rami Nana-Hikari, who dresses in a Playboy Bunny outfit and lives with her grandparents and has a pet dragon named Spot (Pochi in the Japanese versions). Her enemies include Dr. Pon Eho, a tanuki Mad Scientist with an IQ of 1400 that stole Rami's sphere from her, and Himiko Yamatai, who first appeared in the second game, a princess who claims the spheres belong to her family. She also pilots a robot named Psy-vee.
This series uses the following tropes:
- Ambiguous Gender: Spot. Due to translator antics they are male in Japan and female in the translation. Now youd think Spot would just be can canonly male then, especially since at some points you can see Spots balls... But then they give birth to children in the first games ending. Their voice also gives no indication.
- Ancient Astronauts: Rami is actually a descendant of aliens who visited the earth long ago.
- Attack Drone: Rami can get baby dragon options in the first game.
- Big Bad: Dr. Pon.
- Big Damn Heroes: Himiko rescues Rami at the end of the second game.
- By the Power of Grayskull!: Rami's transformation phrase is "Hyper Cutie Bunny Change!"
- Camp Gay: Benkei, of all people.
- Demoted to Extra: Zigzagged with Spot in the second game. On one hand Spot mostly appears to serve only as a checkpoint, but then there are still some levels where you ride them.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Himiko; comes with being a Tomboy Princess.
- Laughably Evil: Both Dr. Pon and Himiko.
- MacGuffin: The key to the mystery treasure in the first game, and the spheres in the second.
- Mad Scientist: Dr. Pon.
- Ms. Fanservice: Rami. Playboy Bunny outfit? Check. She's Got Legs? Check. The only thing Rami dosent have is big breasts, but even then she gets those briefly at one point.
- "On the Next Episode of..." Catchphrase: Every stage in the series ends with a preview of the next stage, followed by Rami saying, "Push start!" However, in the case of the second game, the game will automatically take you to the next stage.
- Playboy Bunny: Rami's primary outfit.
- The Rival: Himiko.
- Thanking the Player: Rami at the end of the first game. She simply waves at the player at the end of the second game.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: Rami at the end the second game stores some gold bars in this way. Funnily enough they give her fake Gag Boobs while she stores them.
- Villainous Crush: It is heavily implied that Dr. Pon has a big crush on Rami.
- Womb Level: The setting of the Final Boss battle of the second game is in the belly of a demon named Apocalypse.