Kids on Site is a video game released on the Sega CD in 1994, published and developed by Digital Pictures. In it, you play as a child who's being told how construction machines work by three workers: Bertha, Dizzy and Nuts. There's also a group of minor characters called the Coffee Break Gang.
There's four usable machines: the excavator, the bulldozer, the steamroller and the wrecking ball. The A button will move your vehicle to the left, C to the right, and B will perform a special action. Completing certain objectives with each vehicle will reward you with a merit badge. Collect all four of them, and then you can detonate a building as a reward.
On April 1st, 2022, Screaming Villains, who handled remasters of other Digital Pictures games, announced that this game was getting a remaster, subtitled Hard Hat Edition- and despite the date, that's not a joke, as pre-orders for a limited physical run went up that day. It's set to launch digitally on Playstation 4 and Steam on June 14, 2022.
This game provides examples of:
- Alliterative Name: Two of the machines you can play as: Eddie the Excavator and Billy The Bulldozer.
- Amusing Injuries: Nuts gets crushed by a wrecking ball, flattened by a steam roller, dumped on by an excavator, and almost crushed by a bulldozer, but is no worse for the wear when the next machine is selected. Heck he gets an entire BUILDING dropped on him and he STILL makes it out alive!
- Bait-and-Switch: The reveal trailer for Screaming Villains' remaster opens with footage of Sewer Shark... before the video pauses like a VHS tape and a jackhammer starts pounding away in the background.
- Butt-Monkey: Nuts.
- Damn You, Muscle Memory!: You'd expect the left and right buttons on the d-pad to move your machine in those directions? Nope, you have to use A and C.
- I Call It "Vera": All four of the machines you operate: Eddie The Excavator, Billy The Bulldozer, Melvin The Steamroller, and Ruby The Wrecking Ball. Dizzy even says things like "I call her Ruby The Wrecking Ball! You can call her Ruby too!".
- Kid Hero: You're apparently a child, since everyone refers to you per "kid". Then again, "Kids" is part of the title.
- Meaningful Name: When one of the workers says his name is Nuts, his friend, Dizzy, says: "He certainly is!". Also Punny Name.
- Also Ruby The Wrecking Ball, who's painted red, the color of rubies.
- Normally, I Would Be Dead Now: Nuts gets flattened by a steamroller, which just flattens him like a pancake instead of outright killing him. Then again, this is a kids game.
- Roses Are Red, Violets Are Blue...:Dizzy: "...bulldozer, bulldozer, I love you!"
- Rule of Three: The objective to accomplish with each machine is always done 3 times: dig 3 shovelfulls of dirt with the excavator, push 3 piles of junk off a cliff with the bulldozer, flatten 3 patches of asphalt with the roller, & knock a building down in 3 hits with the wrecking ball.
- Stuff Blowing Up: The player gets to blow up a building at the end of the game.
- Those Two Guys: Dizzy and Nuts.
- Two Girls to a Team: Bertha and Ruby are the only female characters in the game.
- Video Game Cruelty Potential: Want to do some really unwise stuff, like dump dirt on people or pick them up and drop them? Go ahead, it's actually encouraged. Compare this to any other Digital Pictures game, where you'd get penalized, or at the very least scolded, for such an act.