A Facility is a Journal Roleplay taking place in an experimental facility. You have been thrown into a sterile white complex, controlled by a mysterious person (or group of people) known as the Doctor. Every week, a new experiment is unleashed on the subjects ("rats"), which range from the absurd to horrifying.
Despite the oppressive setting, the game is well-known for oscillating rapidly between ridiculous shenanigans and dark plots.
A Facility provides examples of:
- Big Bad: Several of the main villains of their original canon have come to reside, either managing to thwart the Consoritum's attemps to manipulate them, or mellowed out. Of note are Kishin Asura, The Millenium Earl, and Jack Noir, among others.
- Call-Back: Grab Bag Week, in which individual characters can be subject to any one experiment previously conducted.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Week 103, most of the details were kept behind locked posts due to the scary content and Trauma Buttons involved. The subjects were either tortured or Forced to Watch their friends be broadcast live on TV.
- Death Is Cheap: Don't worry if you get killed, you'll come back in a few days! Don't worry about any odd sore spots or strange vague memories of excruciating pain, it's nothing to be concerned about.
- Drives Like Crazy: Haseo. What else do you expect from a 17-year-old-in-an-MMO-character's-body with no real motorcycling experience, though?
- Kissing Under the Influence: Flirt cookies, which also have a chance of causing a Mushroom Samba. Or both at once.
- La Résistance: A couple of rebellion groups have been established, but the largest and most effective was started by John Egbert.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Those under the affects of the Hinamizawa Syndrome don't remember the week they were under the effects.
- Overprotective Dad:
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge:
- The first time they broke out of 'Facility 1', most of the interns caught in the crossfire were killed off by rampaging subjects. Also a factor in the Rebellion Victory Week, which was triggered by the strong reaction of Week 103.
- Alex Mercer went on one when Patchouli accidentally killed Maka. This led to Remilia going on one herself when she found out Mercer killed Patchouli and Meiling. Much later, Mercer again attacked Patchouli for killing Lucy.
- Running Gag: Musical week will never happen. Or Excalibur week.
- Swapped Roles: Canon Swap Week, in which characters could be switched to any canon of a character ever been in the game, highlights include an Elfen Lied Dave Strider, several people becoming Psychonauts, a 12th Century Dr. McCoy and Bro Strider and the entirety of the Scott Pilgrim Evil Exs becoming Trolls.
- Translator Microbes: A chip is implanted in everyone's brains, allowing them to understand each other.
- Trauma Conga Line: The 2010 year end event and the weeks leading up to it. The infamous Week 103, followed by a rebellion victory, followed by a mass-murdering demon running amok, and then the station's life support systems shutting off one by one...
- You Can't Go Home Again: What the subjects are led to believe with Azure Kite's discovery. Of course, not everyone believes it, or are going to let that stop them from breaking out.