Jimmy Smits (born July 9, 1955 in Brooklyn, New York) is an American actor.
On television, he is best known for playing attorney Victor Sifuentes on The '80s legal drama L.A. Law, NYPD Detective Bobby Simone on the acclaimed police drama NYPD Blue, Matt Santos on the Aaron Sorkin's revered serial political drama The West Wing, ADA Miguel Prado in Dexter, and Nero Padilla in Sons of Anarchy.
On the big screen, he is best known for his role as Bail Organa (Princess Leia's adoptive father) in Star Wars.
- Running Scared
- The Believers
- Bless the Child
- Star Wars
- The Jane Austen Book Club
- Mother And Child
- In the Heights
- Miami Vice
- L.A. Law
- Pee-wee's Playhouse
- Cop Rock
- The Tommy Knockers
- The Cisco Kid
- NYPD Blue
- Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales for Every Child
- The West Wing
- Sons of Anarchy
- The Get Down
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine
- 24: Legacy
- How to Get Away with Murder
- Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Brooklyn Rage: He was born and raised in Brooklyn.
- Older Than They Look: Other than some slight grey in his hair, his appearance has barely changed since the 90's. Many Star Wars fans were a bit taken aback when he appeared in Rogue One and looked basically the same as he did in the prequels ten years prior.
- Plays Great Ethnics: He is of Surinamese and Puerto Rican descent, and his Ambiguously Brown appearance has allowed him to play several characters with varying backgrounds.
- Shakespearian Actors: He has appeared on Hamlet, Othello, Twelfth Night and Much A Do About Nothing and is a noteworthy actor.
- Star-Making Role: After being a noteworthy actor for a decade, Smits' breakout role came when he played Detective Bobby Simone in NYPD Blue from 1994 to 1998 (and returned in 2004). This role won him the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor for Television Drama 1996 and earned him several other award nominations.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: He's 6'3, dark-haired and good-looking.
- Typecasting: He frequently finds himself (and is best known for) playing government officials; this includes having played a presidential candidate twice.