The Great Ten, (Shi Hao Xia/十豪侠) are a team of Chinese comic book superheroes in the The DCU, who are sponsored by the government of the People's Republic of China. The team was introduced in 52 #6 (June 2006), and were created by Grant Morrison, J. G. Jones, and Joe Bennett. Several of the characters have a basis in Chinese Mythology. Unlike conventional superhero monikers, their names are close to literal translations from the Chinese language.
Great Ten is also the title of a nine issue mini-series focusing on the team published in 2010, it was originally planned to be a ten issue title but was cut short due to low sales.
Needs Wiki Magic, please.
- Arc Number: I wonder what it could possibly be in a work titled Great Ten with ten intended issues published in 2010 featuring a team with ten members.
- Blood Knight: While he keeps it under wraps, Seven Deadly Brothers (each of his personalities), loves to fight.
- Brought to You by the Letter "S": The Chinese character for the number "7" is for the Seven Deadly Brothers.
- The Cape: Thundermind fulfills this archetype despite lacking a cape. As a result, he's the only member of the Great Ten deemed capable of being a media darling.
- Captain Patriotic: Socialist Red Guardsman. While August General in Iron and Immortal Man in Darkness are also true patriots, Socialist Red Guardsman is the only member of the team to actually have Das Kapital and The Little Red Book committed to memory. Socialist Red Guardsman believes he is the revolution, and has frequently broken his back to ensure that his teammates toe the party line with his endless rants and lectures. He even attempted to quit the team in disgust at his country's growing commercialism.
- The Heart: Thundermind considers himself the conscience of his team, and will not hesitate to go against orders if he feels it is the right thing for him to do.
- I Love Nuclear Power: Socialist Red Guardsman is highly radioactive, so he is forced to wear a special suit of containment armor based on Durlan technology.
- Me's a Crowd: Seven Deadly Brothers is one guy who can split into seven copies, and each copy retains a certain skill-set from the original.
- No-Sell: Because of his metallic skin, August General in Iron is immune to Ghost Fox Killer's poisonous touch. Mother of Champions is immune to the radiation exuded by Socialist Red Guardsman.
- Outliving One's Offspring: Unsurprisingly, because the super powered children that Mother of Champions gives birth to have incredibly short lifespans, this is what always happens.
- Translation Convention: Mandarin Chinese is the assumed default, so the dialogue of tourists is enclosed in the brackets to show they're not talking in Mandarin.
- Two Girls to a Team: Ghost Fox Killer and Mother of Champions are the only women among the Great Ten.