open/close all folders
The main character of the series, Lucas is a young jumping spider who wants to make friends.
- Cheerful Child: Defiantly and naively playful and happy in nearly any circumstance.
- Extra Eyes: He states in his first appearance that he has "too many eyeballs".
- Friendly Neighborhood Spider: Is very friendly and outgoing. He literally wouldn't hurt a fly.
- Giant Spider: Downplayed to a more realistic level. While Lucas is tiny by human standards (being only a few inches long), he's still huge compared to other jumping spiders (As a comparison, the largest species of jumping spider is the female Hyllus giganteus which can grow up to an inch long).
- Herbivores Are Friendly: Lucas has the personality of a Cheerful Child and doesn't eat insects. Justified as there are herbivorous species of the jumping spider.
- Spiders Are Scary: Very much averted. Lucas is even offended when he tries to read a scary story only to realize it's about spiders.Lucas: Hey, spiders aren't scary!
- Vegetarian Carnivore: Subverted: Lucas refuses to eat flies, and finds the idea repulsive. He instead eats food around the house he's in, like bread & fruit. However, this is Truth in Television, as he's a composite of different kinds of Jumping Spiders, one of the few types of spiders with herbivorous species.
- What Measure Is a Non-Cute?: An adorable pudgy spider with tiny legs and Puppy-Dog Eyes. Enforced Trope, as Word of God states the original intention was to make a spider cute.
A fly that first appeared in the episode New Friend. Typically makes buzzing noises when he talks.
- Big Eater: Manages to eat a whole plate of chocolate covered strawberries with Lucas, and managed not to get bloated. Also, he doesn't hesitate to eat out of the garbage. Justified since he's a fly, and they can eat anything.
- Dumpster Dive: Likes to do this to get food, much to Lucas' disgusted chagrin.
- Lovable Coward: Much humour stems from Bzzt being paranoid that Lucas will eat him. Justified since Lucas's species is notably predatory, but fortunately, Lucas is an herbivorous jumping spider.
- Odd Friendship: Lucas wants to be friends with Bzzt even though spiders normally eat flies. Lampshaded in "I'm Starving".
- Promoted to Opening Titles: In "I'm Starving", courtesy of Lucas carrying him onstage.Lucas: New friend!
- Satellite Character: Enforced. He is the only other CGI Funny Animal besides Lucas, existing largely to give him someone else to talk to.
- Suddenly Voiced: He initially only seems to make buzzing sounds. However by his second appearance, he does talk.
- Verbal Tic: "Bzzt!"
- What Measure Is a Non-Cute?: Bzzt is a housefly, yet he's not all that less endearing than Lucas.
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?: Lucas thinks "Bzzt" is the fly's actual name and points out how weird it is.
The "Polar Bear"
A "polar bear" (actually a dog) that Lucas first encountered in the episode Polar Bear.
- Big Friendly Dog: Is more interested in laying around on the kitchen floor than he is actively pursuing Lucas. In fact, the only time he has chased Lucas so far was because he was curiously following the tiny spider that just booped him.
- Canis Major: Well, at least from Lucas's perspective. He's a normal-sized lab from a human's perspective.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Unlike Lucas and Bzzt, the "Polar Bear" is a live action dog.
The owner (or at least one of the owners) of the house Lucas dwells in.
- Gentle Giant: Given how he opted to simply capture Lucas rather than harm him, he may be an example of this.
- The Ghost: The human almost never actually appears in the shorts. About the only time we've seen him is in the episode Captured where he appears as a blurry silhouette that observes the captured Lucas.
A bird that stole Lucas's harp at the end of the episode Encore.