, aka Stephan Krosecz. It exaggerates some aspects of the characters, such as Eren's murderous tendencies against the Titans, Mikasa being perceived as perfect at everything she does, and Armin being made depressed and awkward.
(Scott Frerichs). So he's basically also a member of
at this point.
, which shares contributors with this version.
- Abusive Parents: Eren started hallucinating his mother as this ever since the admission that Mikasa was always the more favourite child.
- The Alcoholic: Captain Hannes.
Hannes: I'm...sorry for your loss.
Armin: You were at the funeral!
Hannes: Well, I was probably drunk. I mean, I am right now.
Eren: Captain Hannes, everybody!
- All Men Are Perverts:
- All Periods Are PMS: Eren seems to think so, until Armin points out that's not how periods work.
"Well, my MOM DIED before she could explain it to me!"
- Amazon Chaser: Invoked. Reiner attempts to flirt with Annie by telling her he got a boner watching her kill a Titan. It doesn't work.
- Ambiguously Bi: Reiner. In a list of girls he wants to bang, Armin appears... and he has a star rating of six (assumedly out of five stars since that was the second highest rating and only Armin was a six). But then Reiner finds out he's a boy...
- Armin seems genuinely upset when Reiner claims he's not attracted to him.
- Artistic License – Biology: Invoked. Marquis Bart thinks he knows better than his doctors what is and isn't healthy, claiming that if cake were unhealthy it wouldn't taste so good. Pixis is unimpressed.
- Ascended Meme: Being an abridged series, it references many fan memes and in-jokes.
- Jean's "What is it, Eren?!" face is the title image for "Jean Rants".
- Subtle one to the infamous "Kawaii Titan" in Ep. 3.
"Aaaaaw, he's kinda cuute! Oh God
, never mind, NEVER MIIIND! AAARGH!!"
- "Mikasa's Casa"
- For the Halloween special Bertolt and Reiner really did go as Bert and Ernie, only the characters were reversed which Armin lampshades.
Armin: "Hey why is Bertolt (oops) Ernie, shouldn't it be the other way around?"
Bertolt: "But that doesn't make any sense, I'm the tall one and Reiner plays with a rubber ducky all the—" *Reiner punches him in the face out of panic*
Reiner: "Whoa Bertolt, buddy, you alright? Looks like you won't be able to finish that sentence now. What a shame."
- Asexuality: Eren has this thanks to one of the side effects of his dad's mysterious injection.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Eren can't even focus properly if his own Titan is nearby.
Mikasa: Now isn't the time for that, Eren. There are a bunch of soldiers surrounding us who want us dead! We need to come up with a plan.
Eren: Alright, I get it, I'm... trying to keep it together.
Mikasa: Okay, so-
Eren: TITAN! .... Sorry! Sorry, I'm trying.
Mikasa: (sigh) Armin, what do you got?
Eren (in the background): ...Titan.
- Ax-Crazy: Eren, in regards to his hatred for the Titans.
- The Bait: Jean insists Marco help act as bait for the Titans, hoping that he might get eaten or something.
- Bait and Switch: Remember how Mikasa helps pull Armin together during his moment of grief? Yeah, things happen differently here.
Mikasa: Armin, stop. (Gently takes his hand) Your voice is super annoying when you're crying.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Armin wishes something exciting could happen in his life for once. Two seconds later the Colossal Titan appears.
- And five years later, while Eren internally monologues on top of the Wall.
Eren: You know, life is good right now. I mean, I'm a soldier now, I'm gonna join the Recon Corps soon. I can't wait to fight my first titan and rub it in Mikasa's stup- (Colossal Titan appears again)
- Belief Makes You Stupid: The Wallist preacher during the Fall of Zhiganshina.
- Berserk Button: As usual, Titans for Eren. At one point, just mentioning the word "Titan" caused Eren to go into a screaming rampage across the town, presumably looking for one to kill.
- Big "NO!"/Slow No: Members of the Static Garrison as the Armoured Titan charges towards them.
- Biting-the-Hand Humor: The 1 million view special has Eren and Jean complain about the fans, even though Armin points out that the special is only possible BECAUSE said fans care about watching the show and most of the fans aren't as bad as Jean and Eren make them sound.
- Black Comedy: Given the series it parodies, it comes up from time to time. One example is Thomas' last words before he got eaten by a jumping titan in episode 3...
Thomas:: He got the jump on me.
- Brick Joke:
- Borrowed Catch Phrase: Mikasa adopts Eren's "TITANTITANTITAN" catch phrase after witnessing the Female Titan eat him.
- Brutal Honesty: No one pulls their punches, but Connie is almost perpetually stuck in this mode.
Reiner: So, Connie, be honest. Do I got a chance with that Mikasa chick?
- Butt Monkey: Armin. To the point where pretty much everyone, except Eren and Mikasa, often forgets he even exists... (ex. Hannes even once called him "Carl" when he forgets his real name)
- Though he's starting to reverse this, he finally flipped out over Connie calling him Carl in Episode 5, threatening to slit his throat if he called him Carl again. And this threat works.
Armin: SHUT YOUR STUPID MOUTH!
Both Mikasa and Connie are surprised.
Connie: Geez, Carl-
Another brief pause, both Connie and Mikasa stunned by the outburst.
Connie: ... So what's your idea, Armin?
- Casanova Wannabe: Reiner.
- Casual Danger Dialogue: Jean, Armin, and Hanji have a brief chat about Armin having sex with Annie to lure her into the trap while the Female Titan is fighting the Rogue Titan in the city.
- Catch Phrase: "-ITANTITANTITANTITAN!!!"
- Cloudcuckoolander: Eren. Even in the most inappropriate situations, he will slip into belligerent, compulsive screaming at the mention of Titans.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: Mikasa is tasked by her (step)mother to try to keep Eren from doing stupid things. To her credit she does try, but then again, Eren is Eren.
- Cooldown Hug: Subverted.
Marco: (has Jean in an armhold) Just let my presence calmmm youuuu...
Jean: GET THE
FUCK OFF ME, YOU CREEPY LITTLE F- (Titans tear a hole through the wall)
- Comedic Sociopathy: Inevitable, given the series it's parodying. Most apparent in the jokes involving Eren and his mom. Or just about anything involving Eren.
- Counterpoint Duet: Eren and Annie sing one in the Season 1 Finale as they battle in their Titan forms. Doubles as a "World of Cardboard" Speech and Let's Get Dangerous! moment for Eren, as well as a Villain Song for Annie.
- Country Matters: When the Female Titan goes on a rampage in the city and Erwin mentions that it's related to another Zany Scheme of his, Nile demands an explanation. Levi's response is saying, "We're not explaining ourselves to you, cunt-bucket."
- Crazy Enough to Work: Singing in the face of certain death, thrice.
- Armin tries to convince the military not to kill Eren for being a titan shifter through the power of song. It only works because Commander Pixis mistakes it for a tactical maneuver he once thought of, and the trio accidentally flatters him into hearing them out.
- During his trial, Eren thinks "what would Armin do?" He decides to sing, and fortunately for him Levi wants to build the best acapella group in the military and likes Eren's singing voice.
- Being chased by the Female Titan while on horseback, Levi's group sings to alert the others ahead of them when to spring their trap without giving it away. Even Eren admits it was a decent plan, after the fact.
- Credits Gag: Dot Pixis is apparently the Executive Producer of the shorts.
- Creepy Child: Eren kills the first human trafficker while speaking entirely deadpan. Later on, it's played for laughs as Eren apparently has no ability to understand why the Garrison members would be shocked that he killed two people.
- Eren somehow manages to be creepier in his youth here than in canon.
Eren: I'm just trying to save you from going to hell, friend. (stabs trafficker) Oops - too late.
- Crossover: With Pacific Rim — the Titans and the Kaiju team up to produce a Public Service Announcement as "The Anti-Jäger Foundation".
- Crush Blush: Annie towards Armin in Episode 7.5 - Jean is an Asshole. This crush is likely what saved him from her rampage as the Female Titan.
- It shows up again in episode 10, only this time, Armin is actually talking to her and her blush covers her entire face when he propositions her. Armin himself is also blushing in that moment.
- Amusingly, she even blushes while Armin is confronting her in her Titan form.
- Dating Catwoman: Armin and Annie.
- Deadpan Snarker: Rico. Kitts gives her plenty to work with.
- Department of Redundancy Department: The title of Episode 10 (the season one finale) is Climactic Climax.
- The Ditz: Sasha cheers after she rescues Samuel... until she realizes that she's impaled his leg... and may have killed him...
- Double Standard: Petra is upset that she was made a member of Levi's squad because of her flawless track record and talent instead of her looks and especially her voice.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Keith was already this, but it is, of course, taken Up to Eleven in this series.
"AH KNOW YER SORRY, YOU SACK O' SHIT, BUT WHEN AH'M THROUGH WITH YOU, YOU WILL EITHER BE A SOLDIER, OR YOU WILL BE DEAD."
- Dropping the Bombshell: Mikasa directly tells Armin in as many words that Annie has a crush on him, which is why she spared his life when he first encountered her as the Female Titan. His reaction can be summed up with the tropes Flat "What." and You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!.
- Even Evil Has Standards: The human traffickers may kill, kidnap and sell people, but one of them thinks racism is wrong. Apparently the same guy also believes people have a right to their faith too.
- Everyone Can See It: Annie's crush on Armin was apparently obvious to everyone except Armin himself. Even Eren noticed it.
- Everything Sounds Sexier in French: Jean's Gratuitous French Foreign-Language Tirade was so fluent that one YouTube comment described it as "like wiping your ass with silk."
- Flanderization: As should be expected — in particular Eren's short temper, his rocky relationship with his mother, and his almost sexual desire to kill Titans (Yes, they managed to make that even more over the top, and it is GLORIOUS), Armin's self-esteem issues (in the anime, he starts off thinking he's useless and helpless but his friends can see his true value — here, even his friends think he's pathetic and annoying, and his name is often forgotten), but most of all, Eren's and Jean's rivalry.
- In-universe, Eren has taken the fact that his mother admitted that he's The Unfavourite and exaggerated it to absurd levels when he's imagining her voice speaking to him.
- Flat "What.": Eren does this a lot.
- Forgotten Fallen Friend: Invoked, the moment he realizes that Marco is dead, Jean goes right back to denying he ever knew him.
- For Science!: Hanji's stated reason for wanting to hear the details about Armin having sex with Annie.
- French Jerk: Jean.
- Gay Bravado: Reiner tries this but it gets turned against him when Eren brings up that one of the "girls" he hits on in his free time is Armin.
- Gilligan Cut:
Armin: Wow, Mikasa's so cool, she's not even letting Eren's death get to her!
: *sobbing heavily* Oh, God, why?! Eren... WHYYYY... ERENNNNNN!!! *kills a Titan
Armin (to Eren, in his dream): You're a valuable person!
Armin (reality): YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT!
- Got Me Doing It: Even Jean is mispronouncing his own name during internal monologues, something that he yells at himself for.
- Gratuitous French: Used by Jean in the 1 million view special when he started cursing at Eren. It is repeated, subtitled and extended at the end of the episode.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: the short dedicated to the mother being presented with what's left of her son:
"If you don't leave right now, I'm going to beat you to death WITH MY SON'S SEVERED ARM!!"
- Hearing Voices: Eren hears his mother's voice mocking him, leaving him a mental wreck.
- Jean hears Marco's voice from time to time.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Immediately after The Reveal:
Karla: "This is why Mikasa's my favorite!!"
Eren: "... what?"
- Hollywood Jehovah's Witness: Eren pretends to be the Wallist equivalent of this to get the kidnappers to lower their guard.
- Honey Trap: The heroes pull this on Annie, using Armin as the bait.
- Hypocrite: Hannes reprimanding his fellow guard for being a 'drunken waste of space'.
Eren: "That's right, kettle, listen to the pot!"
- I Have Many Names: The "Surveycon Legiment" goes by many names, including the Survey Corps, the Scouting Legion, the Recon Corps, the Scouting Regiment, etc. Other names that are not potential translations of its name in the original Japanese version include the Patrol Pals and the Exploration Association.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: All Marco wants is a friend. Jean actually starts to feel bad for him.
- I Meant to Do That: After the Female Titan knocks Armin off his horse when he, Jean, and Reiner were trying to chase her, he's lying on the ground saying in a pained voice that it's all according to his "brilliant plan".
- I'm Standing Right Here: In "Mikasa's Casa," Jean asks Eren to put in a good word for him with Mikasa, seemingly unaware that Mikasa is sitting right next to Eren the whole time.
- Inelegant Blubbering: Armin, most of the time.
- Mikasa after Eren's apparent death in episode 4.
Armin: Wow, Mikasa's so cool, she's not even letting Eren's death get to her!
- Inner Monologue: Ep. 3 is presented from the POV of each character just before they get killed or incapacitated.
- Innocently Insensitive: Eren's fellow trainees won't stop pestering him with questions about his mother's gruesome death.
- Insane Troll Logic: The judge at Eren's trial is blatantly obvious about his motivations for finding Eren innocent or guilty, and no matter the outcome it boils down to "because I feel like it".
- Before that there's Kitts, who decides that Eren needs to die on the spot because he mumbled onomatopoeia such as "BANG!" and "POW!" and also raised his voice. This obviously means that Eren means to kill 'em all.
- Insistent Terminology: It's neither the Recon Corps, Scouting Legion, Survey Corps, or the Scouting Regiment. It's the Surveycon Legiment.
- Intentional Engrish for Funny: When Armin and Jean are called out of Eren's room to be interrogated about the Surveycon Legiment's crimes during the Female Titan's rampage, their names are mispronounced as "Jay-ahn Kerchin" and "Arumin Aruretto".
- Ironic Echo: Annie's last line in "F**k It" is "Please don't kill me, please", which is what Armin, Eren, and Mikasa sang after Eren first reverted from a Titan to a human and they needed to convince the military to not kill them, while in this event, Annie is the one who is removed from her Titan form and pleading to Eren for her life.
- Ironic Echo Cut: In episode 2, Mikasa assures Eren that he would be a much better soldier than her. The scene then cuts to three years later... where Mikasa is being announced the top soldier of her class. Even gets lampshaded.
Keith Shadis: You ten standing before me are the best of the best, especially MEE-KA-SAA, who quickly outshined [sic] everyone else, no matter how hard they tried.
Eren (thinking): "F**k you, Mikasa."
- It Is Pronounced Tro Pay:
- Eren constantly mispronounces people's names. Reactions vary: Mikasa doesn't care (although everyone mispronounces her name anyway), Jean gets frustrated, and "Bert-hole" wishes he'd just let Eren call him "Bert."
- One short delved into whether Mikasa's name was pronounced MEE-ka-sah or mi-KAH-sah. Mikasa doesn't really care either way.
- Lame Comeback: Eren can't seem to think of better things to say in regards to Jean's insults.
- Lampshaded Double Entendre: Eren is quite disturbed when his mother starts making penis jokes at his expense.
- Last of Her Kind: Mikasa claims to be the last Japanese person on the planet, and uses this as an excuse to be racist.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: The characters are very aware of those fans who quibble over insignificant details like how to pronounce Mikasa's name, or the confusion behind how to translate 'Recon Corps'. note
- Let Me Get This Straight: This is how the authorities react to Erwin's report of his illegal, dangerous, Zany Scheme to capture the Female Titan.
- Literal-Minded: Eren as a result of no-one ever explaining 'the birds and the bees' to him.
Jean: "You've never thought about... entering Mikasa's casa?"
Eren: "Oh - dude, I do that all the time!"
Eren: "Yeah, we live in the same house, dude!"
- Logic Bomb: Mikasa asks if she can be considered racist (claiming that the Japanese are the superior race) if she's the Last of Her Kind. Eren honestly doesn't know.
- Mood Whiplash: In-universe. As the Moe Titan looms down upon Mina, she thinks to herself how cute it is.
- One moment Eren is stabbing a kidnapper to death, screaming like a lunatic, the next he's gently untying Mikasa while giving clumsy exposition.
- Musical Episode: The first season finale is this to an extent.
- The Neidermeyer: Kitts Verman as usual, but his paranoid idiocy is elevated to an absurd degree.
- Never Speak Ill of the Dead:
Hannes: How's your grandfather, the sleazy old sonuva—
Armin: He's dead.
- The Nicknamer: Eren cannot pronounce anyone's name right, to the point where he'll start making up his own ones like "Berthole" and "Reindeer".
Bertolt: (after being called "Bert" and "Bertie") "My name is Bertolt. I don't go by anything else."
Eren: "Okay, right. Reiner and Berthole. Got it."
Armin: "It's too late. Once he comes up with a name for you, you're kind of stuck with it. Sorry."
- No, You: in episode 3, between Jean and Eren.
Jean: "I hope you get eaten, douchebag!"
- Oblivious to Love: Eren, of course, doesn't realize how Mikasa feels about him.
- Armin was equally oblivious to Annie's crush on him until Mikasa flat-out told him about it. Eren of all people said that Annie's feelings for Armin were super obvious. To be fair to Armin, Annie has never spoken in the series at that point, so he doesn't exactly have any verbal hints to go off of.
- Omake: A series of shorts that use scenes left out of the main release, but mostly act as Filler between eps.
- Only Sane Man:
- Mikasa. Racism and ego aside, she is the one that inevitably points out how stupid everyone around her is being in an exasperated deadpan tone.
- Jean during his Day in the Limelight in Episode 5. The absurdity that surrounds him nearly drives him insane, however.
- Ooc Is Serious Business: Episode 10 has two cases of this with Eren and Jean, as the former is unusually levelheaded and the latter has recently Taken a Level in Kindness. The "serious business" part of this is justified by the fact that getting Eren to go on a rampage in that situation is necessary for having a chance at survival, and Jean not being able to provoke him into that rage means they're all screwed.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Stephan lets a somewhat stereotypical Jewish accent bleed through when Eren rants that he'll kill all the Titans at the start of Episode 2 due the scene involving extra helpings of scenery.
- Overly Long Gag: The series LOVES them.
- The whole point of the "Jean Rants" short.
- See Eren's rant in No Kill Like Overkill
- Jean again, this time in the "1 million views", where his rant in Gratuitous French is repeated and extended.
- Overly Narrow Superlative: Mikasa's claim of the Japanese being the superior race is this because she is the last surviving (half)Japanese.
- Parental Favoritism: Carla Yeager considers Mikasa to be her favorite, despite Mikasa being an adopted child. When she accidentally confesses this to Eren during the Colossal Titan disaster, Eren grows to loathe Mikasa.
- It has gotten to a point in the third episode where Eren starts to hallucinate his mother belittling him and favoring Mikasa.
- Parental Neglect: Dr. Yeager brings up that Eren should learn about "The birds and the bees," only to immediately leave for work, dumping the responsibility on Carla.
- Parody Sue: Mikasa. Justified in the fact that she's Japanese.note
- The Philosopher: Marquis Bart takes a moment to discuss the meaning of life and the struggles of man with Pixis. He would actually sound very deep and enlightened... if he wasn't clearly a Fat Bastard Upper-Class Twit who was just struggling with how his 16-year-old wife is trying to make him cut down on cake.
- Punch Clock Villain: Parodied. As the third kidnapper is trying to throttle Eren:
- Precision F-Strike: If a short goes without profanity for a while, expect one to come:
Bertolt: Hey guess what, shut the fuck up, Reindeer!
Jean: YOU GOTTA BE F*CKING KIDDING ME!
- Quit Your Whining: In episode 6, Eren thinks Armin is telling him You Are Better Than You Think You Are, but Armin is actually giving him one of these.
- The Resenter: A major part of Eren's character is his bitter resentment of child favorite, Mikasa.
- Rousing Speech: Jean's speech, which is actually horrible, but motivates everyone regardless.
- Running Gag:
- People forgetting Armin's name.
- The name of the Recon Corps, see Leaning on the Fourth Wall above.
- Eren mispronouncing names in general, but especially Mikasa and Jean.
- And now we have "Berthole" and "Reindeer".
- Jean is FRENCH!
- Mikasa being better than Eren at everything.
- Eren and Jean's intense hatred for one another.
- Eren blowing up about Titans.
- Hannes's perpetual drunkenness.
- Reiner hitting on everyone.
- Eren not knowing anything about sex.
- Sanity Ball:
- Eren carries it when the situation doesn't involve Titans, or is so absurd that he looks sane in comparison. He might hold it long enough to qualify as the Only Sane Man... if the moments where he had it weren't either utterly bizarre or he wasn't, well, Eren.
- Jean holds it during his Day in the Limelight episode. Everyone else's antics quickly drive him nuts.
- Sanity Slippage:
- Eren REALLY didn't take the news that Mikasa was his mother's favorite well. As the series continues, he grows more and more obsessed with one-upping Mikasa and trying to prove to his dead mom his worth. In general he goes from being a deadpan Only Sane Man in episode 1 to seemingly having his Berserk Buttons kept perpetually pressed with a paperweight. Though the titan serum (Which causes depression, hallucinations, paranoia, loss of sex drive, and an increase in aggressive tendencies) that his father injected him with may have something to do with that.
- Jean starts to lose it in Episode 8, when Marco's ghost starts haunting him.
- In the same episode we see that Sasha isn't well.
Sasha: "I see death everytime I close my eyes! :)"
- Sarcastic Devotee: Mikasa to Eren, who repeatedly calls the latter out on his idiocy but has no intention of leaving him.
- Hannes at one point calls Armin, "Carl," the same character his voice seems to be based on.
- The Ep. 2 "preview" has the Armoured Titan rampaging through Zhiganzhina... while Chariots of Fire plays in the background.
- That picture Eren once drew. "Now all teh Tightin are ded!"
- The characters costumes in the Halloween special end up referencing Batman (Jean and Eren), Wonder Woman (Sasha), Sesame Street (Bertolt and Reiner), Breaking Bad (Connie), an unintentional one to Sherlock (Mikasa), and has Armin going as Carl (though Eren thought he was Urkel).
- Side-Effects Include...: During Eren's flashback in episode 5, Eren's father mentions the following side effects of whatever he was injecting into Eren, in a Motor Mouth manner.
Grisha: Side effects include depression, hallucinations, paranoia, loss of sex drive, and an increase in aggressive tendencies.
- Skewed Priorities: After witnessing his mother being eaten by a Titan, Eren can only desperately contemplate what "the birds and the bees" means.
- Jean's Rousing Speech is basically saying that if they don't do something, Mikasa will die, and he really wants to tap that.
- When Mikasa is saved by the Rogue Titan, this is her response:
Mikasa: That Titan is... is... is kinda hot. [blushes]
- Spoiler Title: The third episode, which is titled "Everybody Dies". Subverted in that everyone except Armin (and later Eren) died.
- Spontaneous Choreography: Armin, Eren and Mikasa plead for their lives by breaking into song. Reiner, Bertolt and Annie provide music accompaniment.
- Standard Hero Reward: Hannes is initially hopeful that saving Carla from Titans would make her fall in love with him and leave her husband. Unfortunately, as in the actual series, things do not turn out the way he imagined.
- Straight Gay: Levi, though he's not interested in Eren no matter how much Ho Yay they have.
- It's only as long as he's holding the Sanity Ball. If not, he gets kind of flamboyant.
- Stylistic Suck: The picture that Eren drew for his mother as a birthday present. note
- The original title cards for the main episodes also look pretty goofy.
- Suddenly Voiced: Annie spends most of the first season completely mute, but the finale debuts her voice actress, and her first lines are sung no less.
- Take That!: "Mee-ka-sa" is this to weeaboos who get riled up over Mikasa's pronunciation.
- Take That, Audience!: In celebration of "1 Million Views," Eren and Jean go on a rant about how annoying their fanbase is.
- Talking to Themself: Jean is eventually pushed to the point of arguing with himself in his internal monologues.
- Tempting Fate: Dammit, Armin...
Armin: For once I wanna be around when something exciting happens, y'know?
(Colossal Titan appears and kicks a hole in the wall)
Armin: Me and my stupid mouth!
- Mikasa gets in on it, too.
Mikasa (internally): "As long as you're alive, I still have a family to live for."
Armin: "Mikasa, Eren's dead."
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Eren's rant about what he'll do to all the Titans:
"I'M GOING TO KILL EVERY LAST TITAN AND GARGLE ON THEIR BLOOD! BUT NOT BEFORE I TEACH THEM HOW TO SPEAK SO THEY CAN BEG FOR MERCY BEFORE I KILL THEM SLOWLY AND PAINFULLY!!!!"
- Token Religious Teammate: Jean becomes this in Episode 10 after taking a pastor's suggestion to repent his sins.
- Took a Level in Badass: Not exactly becoming more badass, but Eren's singing in the season one finale is considerably improved from when he first joined the "Levi's Lovelies" group.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Armin, after seeing Eren get eaten, decided to stand up for himself.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Jean undergoes this in Episode 10 after a chat with a pastor. This change of heart turns out to be poorly timed, as it happens right before he's needed to be the asshole he usually is to jumpstart Eren's Unstoppable Rage.
- Tough Love: Armin's grandfather was apparently quite verbally abusive towards him, but only did so to keep him humble, supposedly.
- The Unfavourite: Eren to his mother. He does not take this revelation well. Later on as he's trying to save Armin, he has a mental imaginary conversation with his mother where she mocks him to the point of absurdity.
- The Unintelligible: Armin's voice is garbled at times but still understandable. In-universe people treat his speech like this (when they notice him at all).
- Verbal Tic: "TITAN!" for Eren. It's gotten to the point where he has trouble controlling his outbursts when faced with his own (harmless) Titan skeleton.
- Villainous Crush: Annie has one on Armin.
- Villain Song: In Episode 10, the first part of "F**k It" is Annie's, as are her lines in the next part, but the other side of this Counterpoint Duet is Eren's "World of Cardboard" Speech/Let's Get Dangerous! song.
- The Voiceless: Annie doesn't talk, even when directly spoken to.
Reiner: Hey dude, this titan is different. He could be important somehow. Right, Annie? (She doesn't answer) ... Quiet. Just like I like's.
- Finally averted in the season 1 finale, when she not only has a voice actress, she sings all her lines.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: The death of Thomas Wagner, who was introduced in the anime just to die in the Battle of Trost, is lampshaded by Armin.
"OH NO, WE KNEW HIM SO WELL!!"
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Aside from his extreme hatred of Titans, Eren wants to prove to his dead mom that he's better than Mikasa.
- We Want Our Jerk Back: Eren prefers Jean as an asshole than as an annoyingly devout Nice Guy.
- Who Are You?: No one knows who Marco is even though he claims to be friends with Jean, who also does not know him...
- Why Are You Looking at Me Like That?: Armin's reaction when Levi says that they need to lure out Annie and everyone looks at him. This happens immediately after him being informed that Annie has a crush on him.
- With Friends Like These...: Sasha and Connie try to convince a Titan to eat the other first.
- Xanatos Gambit: Jean insists that Marco sign up as bait. If the plan works, they all live. If the plan fails, then Marco for sure dies. Win-win!
- Dot Pixis towards Marquis Bart, though his agreeable responses are dripping with sarcasm.
- Rico towards Kitts Verman, again, with excessive sarcasm.