A Zombie Apocalypse Survival Horror First-Person Shooter
game made by Techland and published by Warner Bros.
Not much is known as of late except for a few details: It uses a free-running mechanic similar to Mirror's Edge
to both navigate the level and to outmaneuver zombies, including jumping off of zombies that you run into, an emphasis on melee combat, moral choices (do you save a child in danger and lose some supplies
or ignore the child's cries to be the first to an air prop?
) and a day and night cycle that directly affects enemies.
During the day, gameplay is similar to Dead Island
, an IP also developed by Techland, with roaming enemies including a large creature able to fling cars
that can either be avoided or attacked. During the night however, the zombies change, becoming far more dangerous and the player is able to use an echo-like ability to detect enemies in the dark.
The game is slated for 2014 on current and next generation consoles as well as PC.
Dying Light provides examples of:
- Item Crafting: Weapons can be augmented to make them more dangerous, and so can ammunition.
- Le Parkour: A major part of gameplay, adding to the frantic nature of the game.
- Oh Crap: Whenever the sun sets in the game this is the main character's reaction.
- Take a Third Option: In the demo where the aforementioned moral choice was shown and the consequences of it (A group of heavily armed thugs gets to it first) it was clear that it's possible to kill the thugs and get the supplies from there even after helping the girl.
- Averted with the game at night. The two main options are run or hide until daybreak, but an enterprising player might attempt to get a leg up in missions at night or extra supplies by fighting through the zombies. As shown in the gameplay trailers, trying to fight them will result in death no matter what, with their Hive Mind mentality and One Hit Kills making it impossible to hold any kind of offense against them.
- In-Universe Game Clock: Critical part of gameplay. In daytime you are usually looking for supplies while during the night, you are forced to avoid zombies in stealth-based fashion.