This is my apartment and I like it! This is a girls' apartment! That [Chandler and Joey's] is a boys' apartment! It's dirty and it smells! This is pretty! It's so pretty! And look, it... and it's purple!A lady wearing purple as a sign of her femininity, whether she is girly and sweet, or graceful and mature. For millennia, purple was the traditional colour of nobility because it was one of the most difficult (and thus expensive) colours to make with naturally occurring dyes. In fact, the Romans actually made it a crime for anyone not of the nobility to wear purple in public, cementing its status in many cultures as the colour of The Beautiful Elite. This changed some time after the Industrial Revolution kicked into high gear, when synthetic dyes became the norm rather than the exception (in fact, one of the first colors made by coal-based dyes was mauve). So formerly expensive purple dye was now just as affordable as any other colour, and thus lost much of its association with wealth. Then as colours began to take on their now-familiar gender connotations, purple found itself increasingly on the feminine side of the gender divide because it was considered a pinker version of blue. This trope is thus a merger of two associations: purple with nobility, and purple with femininity. This colour is fairly common to see on a young girl, elderly matron, Spirited Young Lady, or princess (even if Princesses Prefer Pink). Now even though this colour can be worn by girls of any age, older feminine women are more likely to wear this colour long after a girl who wore pink grew out of that colour. This also tends to be a popular colour among some Mary Sues. Just being a woman in purple isn't enough. It has to be a clearly feminine lady. A Sister Trope to Pink Means Feminine (and can overlap with colours like fuchsia), True Blue Femininity. Compare Purple Eyes, Princess Phase, Winter Royal Lady, Proper Lady, Princess Classic, Princesses Prefer Pink, Purple Is Powerful (and can overlap with some Action Girls), Supernatural Is Purple.
— Rachel Green, Friends, voicing her refusal to leave Monica's apartment in "The One With the Embryos"
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- The Imperial Princesses in Code Geass wear a lot of purple, as do their brothers, some of whom, like Lelouch, are quite feminine (and he also wears a purple dress at his school's crossdressing festival). The two oldest princesses, Cornelia and Guinevere, have purple hair as well.
- Yuri Tsukikage/Cure Moonlight from HeartCatch Pretty Cure! has purple hair in both forms and a violet-accented Cure outfit, and is a Lady of War admired by her teammates for her elegance.
- Hinata Hyuga in Naruto, heiress to the Hyuga clan and user of the Gentle Fist, which relies on speed and grace rather than power. Her signature colour also happens to be purple/lavender.
- While Anthy Himemiya of Revolutionary Girl Utena, the Rose Bride, generally wears a red dress (or white in the movie), her hair is purple, and purple itself is a symbol for royalty and, appropriately, magic and mystery (both which make up Anthy's mystique and outer personality). Most of her outside artwork, namely monochrome drawings, utilize purple.
- A few of Marie Antoinette's dresses in Rose of Versailles are purple in the anime.
- Sailor Moon:
- Hotaru Tomoe/Sailor Saturn has purple as her main outfit colour, and she's a kind and demure young girl. However, her powers as an Apocalypse Maiden make her fit Purple Is Powerful more than this.
- Rei Hino has purple hair in most manga illustrations, Crystal and in the latest Sera Myu. In those three incarnations she is a graceful Ojou and her femininity is part of her characterization, specially when contrasted to Minako's spunky and ditzy personality (They pretty much play Tomboy and Girly Girl in the manga). Bonus point for having purple as her secondary colour and Purple Eyes as well.
- Princess Elizabeth of The Seven Deadly Sins wears a purple waitress uniform as her standard outfit.
- Sylphiel Nels Lahda of Slayers wears a mostly purple outfit, fitting for her proper, polite and demure behavior.
- The beautiful gravekeeper Scar from Sunday Without God is polite, soft-spoken, and purple is her main color, and it's not just her clothes that are purple, but also her hair and eyes.
- Ayeka of Tenchi Muyo! has purple hair and is a proper princess. However, it's slightly cheating, since Word of God states that her hair is actually blue and she altered it to be purple in order to attract her half-brother/fiance Yosho.
- Zakuro Fujiwara in Tokyo Mew Mew, a mature, refined model, has a purple-colored Mew Mew outfit (and purple hair to match).
- Rinne Berlinetta from ViVid Strike!, an Ojou (via adoption) and both her casual outfit and Barrier Jacket heavily feature purple.
- Angel Salvia in Wedding Peach wears purple both in her Simple Fairytale Wedding Dress and her Mini Dress Of Power.
- Renamon from Digimon Tamers has purple as part of her color motif after yellow. It's the second most prominent color of her design and showcases her mature, feminine side.
- Kiki from Kiki's Delivery Service wears a purple dress throughout the film.
- Sheeta in Castle in the Sky wears a dark purple dress at the start of the film.
- Psylocke of X-Men is a former supermodel, whose motifs are butterflies, and is often depicted as a elegant Lady of War in a purple leotard, although for a time she fit Purple Is Powerful more than this trope.
- All the girls of W.I.T.C.H. had purple as one of the colors of their costume (the other was turquoise). Seems to be a color they consciously use to portray the magical female characters in, since Orube, Elyon and Nerissa also had purple as part of their designs (or wore purple clothes at one point).
Films — Live Action
- Padme wears a lot of purple gowns in Revenge of the Sith.
- Christiana wears a few purple robes in A Knight's Tale.
- Anita in West Side Story wears a violet dress during the dance, and in the famous "America" number.
- Arwen wears quite a few beautiful, purple dresses in The Lord of the Rings.
- Lorraine in Back to the Future wears a few purple outfits for school.
- Ruth Jamison in Fried Green Tomatoes wears a few lilac dresses, which signifies that she's the more feminine character, in contrast to her tomboyish counterpart, Idgie.
- In The Greatest Showman, Anne wears a violet circus costume, and she is the most feminine of all the main performers.
Films — Animation
- In The Last Unicorn, the Lady Amalthea wears regal lavender purple while she is a human.
- Bianca from The Rescuers dons purple often, including in her Iconic Outfit with the bow.
- Meg from Hercules has purple eyes and a lavender dress.
- Rapunzel of Tangled wears a purple and lavender dress.
- Ariel of The Little Mermaid wears a purple seashell bra as a mermaid, and in The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea, she wears a purple Pimped-Out Dress.
- In a lot of The Merch, Jasmine from Aladdin is shown wearing the purple Bare Your Midriff dress she wears towards the end of the movie, rather than her usual blue outfit.
- Esmeralda from The Hunchback of Notre Dame has a predominant scheme of white, teal, gold, and purple—with purple standing out the most as the colour of her skirt.
- Shanti from The Jungle Book.
- The Black Cauldron's Eilonwy wears a dress that is a mixture of purple, pink, and white.
- Jane from Peter Pan: Return to Neverland.
- One of Mulan's outfits in Mulan II.
- In Barbie in a Christmas Carol, Eden wears a purple nightgown and Sleep Mask, while Catherine in a possible future wears a purple dress as an Evil Costume Switch (her present dress is pink and white).
- In Frozen, Queen Elsa wears a purple cape as part of her coronation regalia. Her sister Anna ends up wearing a magenta cape for most of the story. Their mother Iduna wears an amethyst-purple coloured dress.
- In A Bug's Life, Princess Atta, Dot, and the Queen are all purple ants and Gypsy is a purple gypsy moth.
- In Anastasia, The Dowager Empress Marie generally wears the color purple.
- Angie in Shark Tale is a pretty, purple fish.
- Ladyfish in The Incredible Mr. Limpet is a very graceful, purple fish.
- Celia in Monsters, Inc. is a slim, purple monster, and arguably the most feminine one in Monstropolis.
- In Peter Pan, Mrs. Darling, a loving and caring mother, wears a beautiful lilac dress. Her daughter even tells her how ravishing she looks in it.
- In the Harry Potter series, women only seem to wear purple for formal occasions. The colour Lavender is always the specific shade. Madam Maxime typically wears black but wears a flowing gown of lavender silk for the Yule Ball. Additionally Hermione wears lavender for Bill and Fleur's wedding. It's presented as a She Cleans Up Nicely moment too.
- A minor subplot in Gary Jennings Aztec. When Mixtli meets Zyanya and Beu Ribe, they are wearing blouses decorated with a "rich and permanent purple" dye. At that point, Mixtli explains that purple had been harvested from insects that lived on a certain crop and it could only be harvested once a year (and faded after numerous washings). Their father had gone to find out the source of the permanent purple, which led Mixtli on the same quest, to better albeit bittersweet results. Much later after Mixtli marries Zyanya he sells some of his stock to Tenochtitlan's elite, but his wife has more purple garments than even the Queen.
- Played with in Betsy-Tacy high school years, where Fashionista, cook, dancer, and "excellent back lot football player" Tib has touches of purple in every piece of clothing she owns, all scented with lavender.
- Ambassador Delenn in Babylon 5 loves purple robes and wears them when handling interstellar crises or blowing bad guys up.
- Merlin (2008):
- Lady Morgana wears a lot of purple whilst she's living in Camelot's court. In fact, Morgana gets no less than four purple gowns, two of silk and two of velvet: one◊, two◊, three◊, four◊.
- When Guinevere is crowned queen, her coronation gown is purple. Additionally when she was still a servant, she had a few purple dresses too.
- The dowager countess, Maggie Smith's character on Downton Abbey, is named Violet and wears lots of purple.
- In The Legend of Zhen Huan, Shen Meizhuang is ladylike and wears purple.
- Princess Aurora in Once Upon a Time wears a lavender gown. And overlapping with Purple Is Powerful, Cora favours gowns with purple on them.
- The titular mother in How I Met Your Mother is wearing a purple sundress when first introduced to the audience. And when she finally meets Ted, she's wearing a purple dress under her raincoat.
- Breaking Bad: Marie Schader, has purple as her favourite colour, frequently wearing purple clothes. She might not be exactly graceful due to her shoplifting disorder, and she only wore black or white after her husband Hank's murder.
- Deanna Troi on Star Trek:The Next Generation generally wears a purple uniform.
- Jenny Jones has a different take on wearing purple in Warning...
When I am an old woman I shall wear purpleWith a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer glovesAnd satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
- And this poem was the inspiration for the Red Hat Society, a social organization for women 50 and older, combining this trope with a playful touch of "Screw the (Fashion) Rules, I'm a Senior!".
- WWE Diva Ivory's favourite colour was purple and nearly all her outfits were purple. She also had her trademark purple scarf which she carried to the ring with her. She often referred to herself as a lady, calling the rest of the Divas sluts and skanks.
- Alexa Bliss was initially colour-coded with blue, but also had a set of purple outfits. She was portrayed as a Cute Bruiser who loved everything sparkly. When she turned heel and dropped that gimmick, she switched to red.
- Action Girl Virginia's fuchsia Pimped-Out Dress in Wild ARMs 3.
- Blaze the Cat from the Sonic the Hedgehog series. She's a composed and mature princess from another dimension with a poised fighting style comprised of graceful spins and twirls.
- Morrigan of Dragon Age: Origins is a Lady of Black Magic who mostly wears purple and black. Violet is often emphasized with her in official artist's depictions, as well as occasionally being the colour of her magic.
- Katamari Damacy's Velvet wears purple as a sign of her maturity and haughtiness.
- Ivy Valentine of SoulCalibur wears purple dominatrix suits, and is a British Countess with quite the Noblewoman's Laugh.
- The Legend of Zelda: Some depictions of Princess Zelda show her in a purple dress. Especially notable is her appearance in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, where her regal purple, ivory, and gold outfit befit her status as reigning monarch of Hyrule.
- Yakumo Yukari from Touhou wears purple dresses, and is one of the more elegant ladies in the series. Her name even means violet. Also overlaps with Purple Is Powerful.
- Princess Schala of Zeal in Chrono Trigger wears a purple robe.
- Alisa Bosconovitch of Tekken wears a dress that is mostly purple.
- Jaina Proudmoore wore a long hooded purple mantle decorated with runes in Warcraft III, along with white clothing. By World of Warcraft, she had switched that outfit for a more elegant purple and white robe befitting her status as the ruler of Theramore.
- In Kingdom Hearts Princess Aurora's normally blue (or pink) dress is coloured purple on her stained glass window.
- Neptunia series: Played straight by Purple Heart and Purple Sister, natch. Also Nepgear (the non-Super Mode Purple Sister) to a lesser extent. Subverted by Neptune (non-super Purple Heart), who wears the most actual purple in her outfit, but is a chronically unmotivated slacker.
- Sumire of Sakura Wars wears purple as her main colour, in both her uniform and regular outfit. Although her "graceful" aspect is just as often overridden by her being the Team Prima Donna.
- Fire Emblem:
- Fire Emblem Awakening has Say'ri, princess of Chon'Sin. She wears plum-coloured robes, which befit her flowery manner of speech and elegant fighting style.
- Camilla from Fire Emblem Fates. She has lilac hair with some purple in her outfit, and is a serene and elegant princess who, in contrast to her seductive and sultry demeanor, has many motherly qualities.
- In Story of Seasons, Iris is a Proper Lady whose elegant dress is predominantly purple.
- Shirley Primer from Crimson Rafflesia wears and is commonly associated with the colour purple, and she is the most feminine, graceful and soft-spoken girls of the cast.
- In Danganronpa, purple is Kyouko Kirigiri's theme colour, and she's easily one of if not the most mature/intelligent of all the students. Some fans claim her personality runs more in line with a typical masculine role relative to the actual protagonist, but in truth she's quite the Girly Girl when it comes time to relax.
- Last Res0rt features HRH Adharia Kuvoe — a pink-furred blonde lion-taur whose uniform's colours are purple, lavender, and silver.
- The Disney Princess site offers several purple Pimped Out Dresses in the Virtual Paper Doll game.
- Toki used to be drawn in a purple dress or in something that is purple, as can be seen here: . Also doubles metaphorically with Purple Is Powerful, seeing that is she very wealthy and is seen of high status, being called "Lady Toki" or something of the like. Interestingly, it is also a Color Motif, seeing the purple, besides being the color of royalty and materialism (in which wealth is associated), is also the color of insanity, fitting since she is mentally ill.
- Yue, the princess of the Northern Water Tribe Avatar: The Last Airbender, wears purple, when all the other water tribes wear blue (although a play involving her portrays her wearing pink).
- Luciana in Barbie as the Island Princess wears a purple dress.
- This is one of the most common colours worn by Daisy Duck of the Classic Disney Shorts.
- Princess Clara in Drawn Together wears a simply purple frock.
- Marzipan from Homestar Runner wears a purple dress... or her body is purple and just looks like a dress.
- June from Little Einsteins is a six year old ballet dancer who wears a purple dress.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
- Rarity, the most feminine main character, has a violet mane and tail, and even her white coat had slight lavender tint to it. Her choices in outfits for herself also tend to be biased towards purple and blue. She even wears purple camouflage at one point, while dragon-watching, which the others call her out on. She doesn't seem to mind.
- Minor antagonist Trixie usually wears a purple cape and hat. As she is a stage magician, this also ties into Supernatural Is Purple.
- Princess Cadance, while mostly pink, has a lot of purple in her design. Of the established princesses, she's the one who mostly closely fits the Princess Classic model, though she can fight when she has to.
- Fallon of Princess Gwenevere and the Jewel Riders wears purple and has purple hair.
- The Ashleys in Recess have a tradition around this colour. When they first met in kindergarten, they were coincidentally all wearing purple, and every anniversary of that day is "Purple Day", where the girls only wear the colour purple. The episode which introduced this began with their leader, Ashley A., arriving late, but accidentally wearing yellow. She, for a brief moment, is kicked out of the club.
- In Sabrina: The Animated Series when Gem is auditioning for the role of Juliet she wears a purple period gown. Notably when Sabrina plays the role, the dress she wears is pink. Also Aunt Hilda, the more feminine and fashionable of the two aunts, has a purple dress as her default outfit.
- She-Ra: Princess of Power: Princess Glimmer has purple in her outfit and lavender hair.
- Sofia from Sofia the First wears a purple princess gown. Even before she became a princess she wore purple.
- Sym-Bionic Titan: Princess Ilana wears a purple dress when she escapes Galaluna and lands on earth. She doesn't wear it for the rest of the show.
- Total Drama:
- Courtney, during the Fairytale Challenge of Season Two, is wearing a purple dress.
- Total Drama Presents: The Ridonculous Race has Josee of the Ice Dancers. Her partner even describes her as: "beauty, grace and strength."
- In the Fairy Tale episode of X-Men Jean was a Princess and wore purple and pink.
- On Arthur, Muffy Crosswire's signature outfit is a purple jumper dress, with matching hairbows.
- Six on Seven Little Monsters wears a purple tutu, and is the most feminine one of all the monsters.
- Jelly on PB&J Otter is a purple otter. While she is mostly tomboyish in personality, at times she is shown to have a more feminine side.
- Daphne on Scooby-Doo almost always wears a purple outfit.
- On Anne of Green Gables:The Animated Series, Diana- who is more graceful and feminine, in contrast to the tomboyish Anne, is often clad in a lavender dress, with a matching hair ribbon.
- Trixie Tang, the most popular girl in school on The Fairly Oddparents wears a lilac sweater and matching headband.