- The anime sometimes makes some scenes in Slow Motion, mostly the dramatic ones; but sometimes they do it in moments like Eren spitting a drink and Oluo bitting his tongue.
- In Chapter 1, Armin is getting beat up by some bullies who are angry about him outsmarting them in an argument. Eren comes running, and the bullies are confident that they can take him on. But then they see Mikasa with the most deadpan serious look on her face, her head bobbing up and down like a hummingbird's wings as she follows Eren. That's when the bullies start to haul ass. Eren thinks it was him they were running from.
- In Episode 3, we have the recruits' initiation rite, where a Drill Sergeant Nasty stalks up and down their ranks, intimidating each of them into submission. Then he spots Sasha, who is busy eating a potato. When he questions her about this, she offers him half (read: much less than half) of it. His expression is priceless.
"YOU ARE OFFICIALLY ON MY SHITLIST! JUST WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?!?"
- His extreme overreaction to Connie accidently using wrong hand in the salute. He picks Connie up by the head and then loudly declares
"You have it backwards Connie Springer. That was the first thing you were taught. This salute represents the resolve in your heart to fight those bent on the destruction of our people! IS YOUR HEART ON YOUR RIGHT SIDE?!?!?"
- Sasha collapses next to the dorms after she finishes the laps she had to do as punishment, and Krista walks over with food. Sasha smells it, her glowing red eyes shoot open and she launches towards Krista like a rocket. She catches the bread in her mouth, and then Krista reveals that she got it for her, but also brought some water to drink. Sasha sees Krista surrounded by angelic feathers, and asks if she is a God. In the anime she screams God at the top of her lungs, jarring many viewers who were wearing headphones.
- Sasha asking Mikasa nicely to share her food with her. The next scenes are made to make the viewer believe Mikasa is going to hand over the food, while in truth she's seen slowly eating food in front of a tormented Sasha.
- Jean's first meeting with Mikasa. He falls completely head over heels for her when she walks by, taken aback by her attractive features. He even says that he's never seen a face like her's before.note Then he sees her walking off with Eren. Connie then walks by, and Jean wipes his hand on his shirt. Connie asks what he just wiped on him. Jean explains that it was his faith in humanity.
- Jean initially compliments Mikasa on her hair, saying that he finds it beautiful. Immediately afterwards, Eren comes along and tells Mikasa her hair has gotten too long for the military life and tells her to cut it, which leads to the above.
- And later, when he and Eren are about to square off again, Mikasa goes between them and gently pulls Eren away, facing him while ignoring Jean. Eren calms down and it looks like the conflict's passed when-"DAMMIT YOU ASSHOLE!!!" The "wtf?!" expression on Eren's face just serves as the icing.
- Possibly funnier in the manga where, instead of taking Eren's hand, Mikasa simply throws him over her shoulder and marches off.
- During basic position control training an entire page is dedicated to Eren hanging upside down. He tries again but slams his head against the ground and almost dies as a result, much to the amusement and bafflement of some other trainees.
"He was like 'I'm gonna slaughter them Titans to the last' wasn't he?"
"I hear he almost killed himself on basic position control training."
"Seriously? I can't imagine how someone could fail at that..."
- After Eren looks like he is about to flunk out of military training Mikasa says not to worry about going back to farming. Eren leaves when Mikasa is still talking, but the funny thing is she was saying she would follow him back to the farm, while blushing. After finishing her sentence, she sees that Eren left a long time ago and Sasha was sitting next to her. Mikasa's expression was priceless, then Sasha asks for her bread. Which Mikasa teases her for and eats herself.
- Episode 4, we're treated to the recruits practicing hand-to-hand combat, except for Annie, who's just walking around. Reiner more or less drags Eren along to pull Annie into a fight. She beats Eren and starts to walk away, only for Reiner to remind her that she has to take the knife. Cue another beatdown. Then she goes and reminds Reiner it's his turn. He's obviously afraid and after Eren prods him, he gives a Badass Boast. This instantly cuts to Annie walking away with Reiner in more or less the same pose as Eren used to be.
- Made funnier by Eren's death glare as he lies on the floor, legs up over his head, telling Reiner he hasn't had his turn yet.
- In the manga, during the review of the recruits during hand-to-hand combat, we go from the Military Police wannabes, to the idealistic soldiers practicing because they have to... and Sasha and Connie making stupid faux kung-fu poses with knives in mouths. Connie gets grabbed by the head yet again by the drill instructor.
- When Jean and Eren are almost caught fighting when the Drill Sergeant Nasty walks into the mess hall, what is Mikasa's deadpan response? "Sasha just ripped a giant fart, sir."
- As the cherry on top, he doesn't even question it, saying "You again, eh...?" and walks away, implying Sasha has actually done this before. Her expression is priceless.
- As he's leaving, Mina is seen quietly sitting opposite Annie, trying and pretty much failing miserably to suppress a laugh and keep a straight face.
- In Episode 6 of the anime, the scene of a Titan charging at a group of civilians just before Mikasa swoops in to make the first Titan kill of the series may be ruined for some by the way its arms are awkwardly waving at its sides and the way it kicks a random soldier offscreen◊.
- Somewhere out there on the internet there's an animated .gif of the floppy-armed Titan, edited to have a piece of toast hanging out of its mouth in the tradition of every hapless anime protagonist rushing out the door mid-breakfast: "Titan-san is late for school!"
- In Episode 7, there's a darkly funny moment: several cadets are trapped in a building, and one of them is calmly loading a gun. After he finishes, one of his associates tells him that it's a good thought but the gun won't be enough to take down a Titan. The guy calmly says it's not for the Titans, and with an utterly calm and serene expression on his face, shoots himself.
- In Episode 8, a Titan smashes through a wall...with its face. Just in case you needed confirmation that the Titans were indeed Dumb Muscle.
Reiner: Or you can stick a sword up their asses. That's a Titan's only other weakness.
Connie: How do you know that?
Reiner: Let's just say I tested it out, it works great on the Colossal Titan.
Connie: W...what? Really? When did you find out this?
Reiner: Let's just say the other night, I took my "sword", and stuck it up- (Annie punches him)
Annie: Reiner, shut the hell up. What are you doing?!
Reiner: Ouch! Annie don't hit me...oops I forgot, okay?
- The trainees briefly debate saving the Rogue Titan, who's been killing the other Titans and is now pinned to a wall by several foes as big as he is, missing both arms. Before they finish the discussion, the Rogue Titan proceeds to kill the remaining enemies with nothing but his teeth, prompting Jean to note, awestruck, "Hey, who was it you wanted to save again?"
- In the English dub, Connie's explination of the Rogue Titan is pretty funny because he's so hyped up on adrenalin that he's practically giddy. Props to his VA Clifford Chapin.
: Check it out! We found an abnormal that's got a bone to pick with it's own kind! And the best part, He couldn't care less about us!!
That's right, you heard me! This big, beautiful SOB is our ticket out of here!
- A random extra follows this up with a downright cheerful "Thank you, crazy berserker titan!"
- Before that came his initial reaction to the plan:
Connie: So basically we're going to recruit a titan!?
Connie: (dumbfounded stare).
- Episode 9: The first thing Eren did after returning from his Rogue Titan mode was to say "I'll kill you" with a creepy grin on his face. The next scene shows Armin's priceless reaction◊ to it.
- It's extra hilarious in that Eren's sanity, from a modern viewpoint, is pretty damned questionable, but because of the Crapsack World he lives in, it's easy to let it slide because crazy or not, he ain't wrong. Finally, watching Armin have a normal reaction gets even funnier because it's as if he just realized that Eren might be fucking bonkers.
- It was also a partial "Oh Shi--" reaction, because it was probably the worst thing Eren could have said at that moment. See, by that point the rest of the army had shown up and taken control of the situation, and were just a tad bit freaked out by what Eren had just done. When he finally regained consciousness, he was surrounded by a lot of twitchy people with swords who were watching him closely trying to figure if he was a threat.
- Also from Episode 9, Levi tells Hange what he thinks of her obsession with Titans:
Hange: I wonder what kind of Titans I'll see this time! I'd really love to see some abnormal ones!
Levi: I can see an abnormal already.
Hange: Huh? *looks around* Where?
Levi: *takes her head and turns her to face him* Right here.
- Episode 10 : This episode is the second time we see Commander Pixis and this is the introduction we get about him.
Narrator: Dot Pixis. The Commander-in-Chief of the defense of the southern territories, including Trost. A man entrusted over complete authority over the key area of mankind's defenses.
Pixis: Still haven't seen one... I wouldn't mind being eaten, as long as it was by a scorchingly hot lady Titan.
Narrator: He's also known as an inveterate eccentric.
- Pixis strikes again later on in episode 11. After Eren accepts a drink from him, the segment ends with Eren performing a slow-motion Spit Take due to how awful it is, and Pixis ignoring the whole thing.
- Just before that, Pixis and Eren happen to cross paths with Captain Hannes. Relieved, Hannes starts to say something, only for Eren to cut him off with an annoyed look while making a pointing gesture at the ground.
Hannes's: (thinking to himself) Wait, what? Is he.... (annoyed)That little punk is telling me to get back to work!
- When preparing for the counterattack, Eren gives a passionate speech to Mikasa about how he doesn't need her to protect him anymore and she should go join the garrison on the Walls. Then the commander of the elite group runs by and tells Mikasa she's going to be coming with them.
- In Episode 12, there's something darkly funny about Titan Eren trying to hit Mikasa by punching himself in the face.
- Episode 13 has Sasha in stunned horror upon seeing a Titan puke. However, it's pushed here because she's then told that the Titan's have no digestive tract, eating purely for pleasure — and she's the show's resident Big Eater, so of course she'd find this thought terrifying.
- Episode 15 of the anime. Eren and the Survey Corps head to the old HQ, with Oluo approaching Eren to tell him Levi won't be babysitting him and... His horse steps on a rock, loses control and makes Oluo bite his tongue. Petra is sure to tell him how lame he is.
- On the same episode, we are treated to Hange's story about her Titan research. Apparently, she names captured Titans after telling them a story (not that the Titans would understand) about a tribe of human cannibals. As she goes into detail on how the tribesmen cook their victims, the other people present are visibly squicked by her story... one poor guy could not take it and pukes his guts out.
- What happened before that was funny as well. After Eren says that he wants to learn more about Hange's research, the rest of the squad suddenly gets up from the table and leaves, leaving Eren confused and slowly wondering if maybe he wouldn't want to learn more.
Hange: So we didn't learn anything we didn't already know.
Eren: (looking dazed) Yeah.
- What happened before THAT was also funny, with the episode displaying how much of a neat freak Levi is. Seeing the deadpan Levi suddenly complain about dust and put on a house uniform is just way too odd not to laugh at.
- Episode 16, Eren sees Mikasa and Armin for the first time since the trial, and some of Mikasa's first words are threats addressed to Levi.
Mikasa: That midget bastard crossed the line... Someday I'll make him pay for it...
Eren: (uncertainly) ...You don't mean Captain Levi, do you?
- Even funnier was the fact that Levi was just standing in a distance where he could hear everything.
- Better yet as Isayama stated in an interview that Mikasa has imagined beating Levi up several times in her head.
- It crosses straight over into Gallows Humor but in Episode 18, the Female Titan grabs one soldier by his wire and spins him around the way one would spin a pocket watch (or a leek) before idly flinging him over her shoulder. It doubles as Nightmare Fuel though, as a slow motion shot of the spinning suggests that the force of the spinning ripped the soldier's limbs off.
- In that same episode, after being nearly killed by the Female Titan, Armin and his two friends wonder how long it will be until they can reunite with the rest of the squad without two horses for Jean and Reiner to ride on. Cue Krista coming in with two spare horses, saying sweetly that she was worried about all of them. Cue their inner thoughts:
Armin: (An angel!)
Jean: (A goddess!)
Reiner: (Soon, my wife.)
- When they enter the forest of giant trees, Eren demands that Levi tell him what's going on only to be told to shut up and figure it out, leading Eren to go on a thought tangent to the effect that this must be part of being a veteran, learning how to analyze a situation. Then, he looks around and realizes that the rest of the squad is just as confused and scared as he is.
Levi: Look around, Eren, at all of these big-ass trees.
- In a flashback, Eren accidentally triggers a partial transformation when trying to pick up a spoon he dropped, causing a bit of mess and flinging people everywhere. Levi's "Huh?" expressing is particularly amusing.
- In that same flashback, everyone except Levi wants to kill Eren, but who comes onto the scene raving like a loony fangirl? Hanji. She touches Eren's arm, gets burned, and acts like she reached Nirvana. Jessica Calvello's performance in the English dub was amazing.
- Eld revealing that both Oluo and Petra cried and pissed themselves during their first mission. Petra's horrified shrieking is hilarious. Eren asks if the piss "sprayed everywhere" while she was in mid-air, prompting Gunther to tell them that they're in dangerous territory and should stop their silly conversation, but also wants Eren to know that he, in fact, did not piss himself.
- Before that, the squad discusses Erwin's plan and his cryptic question to them after Sawney and Bean were killed by a spy. Everyone agrees that Erwin may have told them of the plan if they had answered his question correctly. Except Oluo that is, who claims he knew exactly what the right answer was. When he is asked about it, he just notes that he is not surprised that the others don't get it as they "aren't on his level yet". Petra looks entirely unimpressed.
- As dramatic as titan!Eren's fight with the Female Titan is, it's hard not to laugh when he's straddled her and is roaring in her face like a maniac, to the point she has to turn her head away as if to go "Jesus Christ, my ear drums!" In the manga, she also does it to avoid his rage drooling.
- In another case of Black Comedy, when Eren is fighting the Female Titan in Stohess, there's a cut to inside a Church where pastor Nick is preaching to a group of Wall worshippers about how they're safe from Titans as long as they believe in God - only to be cut off by a Titan out of nowhere crashing through the walls and squashing most of the group.
- In Chapter 39, Krista rips off part of her skirt to bandage Reiner's wounded arm after a Titan bit it. Then Ymir complains about a cut finger to Krista — obviously to get her attention — but Connie tells her "spit on it and you'll be peachy".
- Reiner's mental response to her bandaging is "Just marry me already".
- Even before this, when Krista arrived with additional horses, and thus saved Armin, Jean and Reiner from being stranded in Titan territory, their thoughts are:
- In Chapter 41, Krista standing on the edge of the tower and fist pumping while cheering Ymir on. Everyone else looks horrified, since the tower is teetering on the brink of collapse already.
- In the same chapter, Eren fights a Titan against orders. Upon killing it, he shouts: "I did it! My first Titan kill as a human!" (Having to this point either been protected, eaten, or a Titan himself in battle) before he nearly gets crushed by the body.
- Reiner casually revealing that he was the Armored Titan and Bertolt is the Colossal Titan. It was done with no emphasis on a small part of a page that mostly showed others walking instead of the full page spread such a crucial reveal would normally trigger. A lot of people had to do a Double Take just to see whether they skipped a page or not. To make it even funnier, even Bertolt, Reiner's accomplice and fellow Titan Shifter is surprised to hear this.
- Chapter 44: Eren remembers during his training as he and Annie practice, Annie has him in a lock. Then, all of a sudden, Reiner falls from the sky; Annie dodges, but Eren was not so lucky. Mikasa reveals she threw Reiner.
- Prior to that, the entirety of Eren and Annie's conversation implies that Annie was putting the moves on him, with her making an insecure stance and telling Eren that "if you consider yourself a man, shouldn't you go easy on my weak body?" Eren, oblivious as he is, thinks she's simply talking about fighting techniques, to which Annie has an "Are you kidding me" expression in return before throwing him to the ground and saying he needs to learn "how to talk to girls". The implication being Mikasa threw Reiner because she clearly saw what was going on.
- Immediately afterwards, Mikasa asks Annie to teach her some of those moves. Annie says the moves are intended for humans, but wants to know if they even work on a beast. So, after essentially calling Mikasa a wild animal, Mikasa gets mad and walks dramatically toward Annie. Cue everyone else gathering around them like high schoolers to a hallway brawl.
- The fact that everyone stops to place bets. Marco bets on Annie, to which Jean angrily bets his entire dinner on Mikasa.
- Chapter 46 of the manga: Eren desperately realizing that if he wants to learn anything from the other Titan Shifters, he must control his emotions!. Coming from him, the Hot-Blooded Berserker, that's a really hilarious sentiment, especially when he naturally (and understandably) fails.
- Chapter 47. Ymir and Bertolt are having one of the most plot-central and tense conversations ever had in the manga so far. And then we suddenly get a quarter-page sized panel of Reiner on top of a still limbless Eren, keeping him in a choke hold in order to keep him from transforming and trying to murder them all. Ymir and Bertolt calmly turn back to each other and continue to talk.
- You can practically hear Reiner thinking "Dammit Eren, hold still!
- There's also something darkly humorous about Krista smiling as she sees Ymir again, only for Ymir to swallow her whole to kidnap her. The "Eh?" Krista says while Ymir's jaw closes around her, her happy smile still plastered on her face, is just priceless.
- In Chapter 48, This exchange between Ymir and Krista:
Ymir: The Titans aren't so bad! There's nobody there who'll say it'd be better if you'd never been born!
Krista: Of course not! They're a little too busy trying to eat us!
Ymir: Nobody's perfect!
- Chapter 51, Sasha's potato girl nickname is called back and Jean's comment on it leans on the fourth wall. Or that Eren having understood Levi tries to get everyone to clean their shoes and make their beds.
- Sasha making the same exact face Aururo/Oluo did manages to be both funny and sad at the same time.
- The last example is one of the best comedic moments of the series. There's Eren's sheer panic at the idea of Levi coming home to a dirty house, followed by him and Jean bickering Like an Old Married Couple:
Eren: Even this morning, if I hadn't fixed the sheets on your bed—
Jean: Shut the hell up! Are you my mom or something?!
- Chapter 53, the Survey Corps pulling out Eren after a failed transformation is full of comedy.
Levi: He's not even ten meters tall and he's missing meat here and there. Also, Eren's ass is hanging out.
Hange: I KNOW THAT ALREADY!
- Hange's not above letting Eren turn permanently into a Titan For Science!. And her reaction to Eren's face peeling off his skull upon pulling him out?
: HURRY! Get a sketch of this!
- It gets to the point where Mikasa has to slice Eren's flesh just to get Hange to shut up.
Mikasa: We must hurry. Fake Eren will be soon be discovered.
- In Chapter 54, Levi manages to corner a businessman who was working with the Central MP in order to negotiate their conditions for switching their loyalty to the Survey Corps. Levi's first two conditions make sense, but the third?
From now on, whenever the Reebs company manages to acquire rare foods or luxury items, they will referentially hand them over to the Scouting Legion. For example, black tea.
Sasha: WONDERFUL! That is a wonderful condition, president!
- In Chapter 55, when Armin starts coldly analyzing the upcoming revolution and how best to manipulate the populace to side with them, everyone gives him a weird look and he defensively protests that he's just speculating.
Mikasa: I certainly don't remember raising this kind of kid.
- Also some Black Comedy when it's apparent Hange has no experience torturing people to the point where the torturee gets confused and frustrated with Hange's clumsy methods.
(Hange start's pulling out fingernails)
Torturee: Wait!! What are you doing!?! I don't even know what you want!!
Hange: Shut up! It's my first time torturing someone!
Torturee: If it's torture, you're supposed to ask me something first, THEN start pulling fingernails!!
(jump to the rest of The Survey Corps in another room, who are all looking a tad-bit queasy)
- In Chapter 56, Reebs suggests to Historia that if she becomes Queen, she should give Levi a good whack and dare him to retaliate. Eren laughs, wondering what kind of face he would make. Apparently, he hasn't quite gotten over the beatdown Levi once gave him.
- In Chapter 57, one of Isayama's assistants decided to add a secret message in Levi's Wanted poster. Isayama was unaware of it and later apologized to the readers. The message is as follows:
Rock scissors paper, rock scissors paper, rock scissors paper
So, what should I make, what should I make
In my right hand, a wiener, in my left hand, a p***y
Raw barley, raw rice, raw eggs
Talking dirty all day, all right!
- Chapter 58 has Levi plunging sideways into a bar with his 3D gear, earning priceless expressions from the customers, followed by this gem of his pursuer "I FOUND YOU! MR. MILITARY POLICEMAN HAS COME TO GET RID OF ALLLLL THE BAD GUYS. PING! PING!"
- Bonus points for the panel afterwards with everyone looking at Kaney Ackerman like he's insane (the pose REALLY doesn't help). Even better, it's so out of place in what you'd expect that the reader is either gaping from incredulity, rolling on the floor with laughter, or a grotesque combination of the mentioned two.
- Even better, the aforementioned panel looks like something out of a cheesy cowboy flick.
- The banter between Kaney Ackerman and Levi in the bar. Their relationship must have been quite interesting, despite the clear Fridge Horror.
- Chapter 59 has Hitch call Jean a horse-faced bastard.
- Chapter 61 has King Fritz falling looking bored and serious during the entirety of Erwin's trial, and when the supposed news of Reiner and Bertholt breaking through the gates. Even when it was proven to be a ruse, he is still calm. Turns out he was asleep the whole time. His first question? 'Is it lunch time yet?'
- In Chapter 62, Eren finally questions "How many times have I been kidnapped now?"
- Sort of a Funny Background Event is Levi looking pissed when Hange ignores him in favor for talking to Mikasa.
- The Second OVA is made of this. Nearly everything is humorous. It probably helps that it somehow adapts nearly every fake preview; yes, even the one with Mikasa, Jean, Armin, Connie, and Krista transforming to Titans.
- Highlights include the drill at the beginning, Pixis declaring that Jean and Sasha would settle their differences with a freaking cooking duel (so he can have a good dinner), the shenanigans that follow the two trying to get the materials to make said meal, and Eren and Mikasa's over-all confusion and indifference to these events.
- Said omake is... strange.◊ Armin's goofy, oddly reassuring "there is no need to be upset" smile on such a giant-ass head. Christa literally being a goddess. And Connie... being really, really, REALLY small.
- Sasha and Connie strike a pose!◊
- Armin somehow managing to break BOTH of his legs, while running up the stairs even though he only landed on one of them.
- ACWNR: Isabel trying to sound cool in front of Levi only for him to ask, "Are you an idiot?"
- There's also the thug-trio settling into the Survey Corps; highlights include Isabel being indignant to sleeping away from Farlen and Levi in a different dorm, Levi's expression when they're shown the barracks (which also swiftly establishes that he's had his cleaning OCD for quite some time), Farlen's earnestness even he's trying to salute and does it wrong, and Levi ordering the two of them to help him clean the barracks.
- Wall Sina, Goodbye has a few funny moments for Annie. She and Hitch has a conversation where Annie only replies by saying "And then?", irritating Hitch and asking her to stop that, to which Annie says she'll stop when given proper information. Before the 57th expedition, Annie asks Hitch to report her as sick, causing Hitch to accuse her of having a date. To this, Annie concurs that she has a date with "a 15 meter Titan" (which might border on dark comedy). Hitch wants to hit the town that night, however, and asks Annie that in return, she takes over the case Hitch was assigned involving a missing person. Upon visiting bars to question people, Annie has to deal with drunkards grabbing her butt.