Fanfic Recs: Fate/stay night
A small corollary before we start: there has yet to be a division between Fate/stay night
fics in Fanfiction.net. The yardstick is that if it uses Fate/stay night
characters as the main driving force of the story, it belongs here. If it crosses with Fate/Zero
, please note so.
Well then, with that out of the way... Proof that the remaining 10% is worth being killed for
here, provided you don't die when you are killed
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Fate/stay night
fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped.
Nobody would back up the rec.
Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be. You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. You can do it by leaving a review, but please make sure it is substantive, or if you do not wish to leave a review by simply adding your handle to the recommended by line. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Do warn when a fanfic may head into non-canon
territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping
is Serious Business
Add new examples at the bottom of the section, please.
open/close all folders
Authors and Websites
Beast's Lair Type Moon Fanworks Thread
- Recommended by Chaosjunction, Aokuchi, nitewind
- As the name suggests, this is the fanworks thread over on Beast's Lair, one of the best Type-Moon fansites. Many great stories, including some of those recommended here, can by found on this thread. Note that the original site was shut down by ProBoards at short notice. Many of the stories have since been put back up. Note also that most threads on Beast's Lair have massive amounts of discussion and off topic posting so story-centric navigation can range anywhere from "difficult" to "flat out impossible" for authors who do not post links to chapters. BL also has its own Recommended Fanfiction page, which has many stories there that aren't even yet on this particular list.
- Recommended by darkestjudgmentisblack, Captchacritter, Darandomuser, nitewind, Cherry_Lover
- A very prominent figure within the English-speaking Type-MOON fan community, and with good reason: the quality and quantity of her work is approved by a great majority of said community because of witty dialogues, a feel for storytelling, and a dollop of written erotica here and there to spice things up. Elf's many works have gotten much exposure through the years. She's notably a fan of Archer, and most of her works will proudly and prominently feature the Counter Guardian. She knows how to have everyone in her stories have fun without reaching the proverbial "what the derp am I reading" levels, though as per usual Your Mileage May Vary there since she tends to use Hollow Ataraxia-styled scenarios as her bread and butter. Elf is also a published author as well, so if you find that you like her works you can check out more of those on her appropriate webpages. Some of her work happens to be individually recommended below in the lower sections, too.
- Recommended by Captchacritter, Stevethecornmuffin, Darandomuser, nitewind
- Arashi's speciality - strong characterization (such as nearly flawless control over writing the sort development he wants his Shirou Emiya, in the case of FSN fanfiction, to experience in order to be a "protagonist" for a certain type of story) and tasteful, thought-provoking thematic elements within his writing. Arashi also has a good handle on action scenes for when the story calls for it, Nasuworldbuilding as relevant, and romance. An up and coming powerhouse in fanfiction, though as of late he's been slipping in output speed when compared to his old days. A few of his works happen to be individually recommended below, uncoincidentally.
- Some jumps in logic that require suspense of disbelief might be necessary for a few instances in a select few of his stories, but overall they're still notably high quality AND in high numbers to boot.
- Recommended by Stevethecornmuffin, Darandomuser, nitewind
- Vel is especially famous (infamous?) for writing I Put on my Robe and Wizard Hat (see below for more details). He knows just when to lay down the silly and fun and when to bring on the truly awesome and entertaining. His choices in subject matter are varied and it seems as if he has no shortage of quirky ideas that just beg to be written. However, in spite of his willingness to hit up humor, it's not mindless comedy and actually is quite canon-compliant, thoughtful, and free-minded, which is either wholly underappreciated or misused by lesser authors. If you like Crazy Awesome sprinkled with touches of drama to taste then perhaps this is a cat for you. Also has a Fanfiction.net account for other works not necessarily of the Type-MOON variety in the form of Ol'Velsper
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
Birth By Fire
- Recommended by Xenertor
- Status: Ongoing
- Synopsis: Shirou Kotomine was found by his adopted father the day of the Fuyuki City Fire, and trained under the priest for 10 years to follow in his footsteps as an Executor. Still, Shirou never really trusts the man, and the bleakness of the hidden world of magic does little to help his worldview. When the Holy Grail Chose him for the next war, Fire will beget more Fire.
- Comments: An interesting AU where Shirou was instead found and adopted by Kotomine, trained in the ways of the Executor and participates in the fifth Holy Grail war.
- Recommended by 4seasons
- Status: Complete
- Synopsis: This boy, this... Slayer of Heroes. He will begin a Crusade etched with flames, a Burning Crusade.
- Comments: This is the most epic fanfic sequel for Fate/Stay Night. A fanfic involve with some returning characters (including some familiar characters from Fate/Hollow Ataraxia), siding with the Angels to battle against the Demons, more opposing Heroic Spirits, and the Corrupted Grail. This fanfic contains a lot of Funny, Heartwarming, Awesome, and even a tearjerking moment and is definately worth reading. The epilogue hints at a sequel, which hasn't been published, but the author started a prequel of it, Crimson, which is currently on hiatus.
Childcare is War
- Recommended by J the Drafter, Comartemis, Unclouded TJ, Cherry_Lover, Darkholme, StevetheCornMuffin, ItsaRandomUsername, nitewind, Caellach Tiger Eye, Leidolf, lampyridae, piattish, Pastykake
- Synopsis: A random act of kindness on the first night of the Grail War alters the course of the entire conflict when Shirou makes nice with Ilya.
- Comments: First of all the writing is excellent. It's thoughtful, it conveys information without getting bogged down in it, and it's spiced with some occasional humor. The idea is clever, for its simplicity and its shear plausibility.
by St. Parasu, part 4 is here (SFW)
Continuation of the Dream
- Recommended by Andyzero, Universalperson, TenFour, Cherry_Lover
- Synopsis: Counter-Guardians are not affected by Time Paradox. When Archer is summoned by the child versions of Rin and Sakura; he discovers there's something more Gar than being a hero and more altering than the Holy Grail itself. A loving father.
- Comments: Non-H Doujinshi. There is a fanfic continuation on the author's website. However, it is entirely in Japanese. A translation can be found here. The author's website even has a fan audio drama.
- Recommended by Elven Queen, nitewind
- Synopsis: That which was lost. That which is regained. A wish that could not be granted, and a miracle she did not wish for. In the end, she finally found happiness. This is a story of Arturia Pendragon. Fate route sequel.
- Pairings: Shirou/Saber, mostly in the background.
- Comments: This fic gives an original, not to mention mind-bogglingly simple, take on how Saber could survive the Battle of Camlann and (eventually) return to the modern era. Caphriel does very well in characterizing Saber, the OCs are realistic and even fun to read about, and the grammar and spelling is top notch. Really, my only complaint is that the fic hasn't been updated in over a year.
- Recommended by Comartemis, OpMegs, TenFour, Cherry_Lover
- Synopsis: Another take on the "Rin as Counter Guardian" plotline.
- Comments: Superficially it seems like a copy off of Endless Dream, with so many similarities in the early plot that one is tempted to sound the plagiarism alarm. However the story is different enough to stand on its' own, and recent chapters have been diverging farther and farther away from Endless Dream.
by tobias (TV Tropes page
- Recommended by xm0123, Cherry_Lover, TenFour, Ximsol182, piattish
- Synopsis: Set after the UBW True End, Sakura writes a letter to Rin detailing her life and feelings.
- Comments: One chapter long, but incredibly powerful. By the end, I wanted to give Sakura a hug. This is definitely a tearjerker, but well worth the read for anyone who's played the visual novel. And Tsukihime as well, since a character from that features in this. Also has a sequel, Dear Emiya, which is also powerful. And be sure to read Dear Matou, the conclusion to the "Letters" series. The quality seen in the first two letters carries through just as well.
by Pata Hikari
- Recommended by Universalperson, OpMegs, TenFour, nitewind
- Synopsis: When Sakura makes her Servant, she gets a Caster-type. One with a special connection to her. Note: Original fic has been scrapped, is being rewritten. The new version can be now found here.
- Comments: In a sense, this premise has been done before in canon but it works extremely well, and is also (more importantly) well written. Highlights include: Caster's plans backfiring, a subtle subversion of the "You Lost Me" meme and Rider and Sakura as Sentai.
by Arashi Leonheart
F/SN - Prismatic Chaos
- Recomended by Pata Hikari, nitewind, Darandomuser
- Synopsis: Shirou saves a young girl from a magi's experiment. With nowhere for her to go, he adopts her.
- Comments: A brilliant take on a Post-Fate Shirou. Best read on Beast's Lair because the author includes links to music to help set the mood of each scene.
by Ayleris Now on Fanfiction.net!
- Recommended by Chaosjunction, Darkholme, DaRandomUser, silvercover, nitewind
- Synopsis: After a incident involving the Kaleidostick 5 years before the start of Fate/Stay Night, Emiya Shirou has become the female Emiya Kirika. Fast forward 5 years, and the Holy Grail War begins. Archer is summoned, along with 2 Sabers. Wait, what!?
- Comments: Another fic from the mind of Ayleris, the same person who gave us Fate Once Again, F/SN-Prismatic Chaos, though young yet, is already a fic that deserves to be recommeneded here. Not only are the relationships of Female! Shirou hilarious: Makidera, from Fate/Hollow Ataraxia is her rival, and Issei has a crush on her, not to mention her relationship with Rin... This fic is definitely one worth reading.
by Verg Avesta
- Recommended by: Electroninja, StevetheCornMuffin, ItsaRandomUsername
- Synopsis: The year is 1817. The date is 31st of January. The location is the booming town of Fuyuki. Japan is under the Sakoku, forbidding any foreigner from entering the country. Even so, six foreigners risk their lives to sneak into the country…In order to witness a miracle.
- Comments: While the story is only just getting started it is an amazingly interesting tale of the creation of and fighting the First Holy Grail War. Amazingly, our protagonist seems t be a young Zouken Matou, known here as Makiri Zolgen. The writing and characterization so far are excellent.
by Lacks Gravitas
Fate Mundi Bellum by Lord Mist
- Recommended by: OmegaNITRO, Electroninja
- Synopsis: Shirou and Rin from UBW True End use a time travel spell to return to the past. They end up at the beginning of the War... except it's not their version of it.
- Comments: Extremely well written, the characterization is top notch, and the writer really knows his/her stuff. Any liberties taken with canon fit rather naturally, and the writer tries to retain the same kind of tone used in the visual novel while storytelling. It's on indefinite hiatus, but the beginning that is there is definitely worth a read.
Fate Once Again
- Recommended by brightwing
- Synopsis: World war, in Latin. That's right, a world war with Servants instead of tanks and guns. Takes place away from Fateverse, with heroes and masters hailing from their respective nations replacing canon ones along with Fuyuki city for the battlefield. Six factions: European Union with Germany, Greece and Italy. Asian Federation with China, Japan, India and the Middle East. The United Kingdom has Britain and Ireland with the Americas coerced into an alliance. The States of Africa and finally, Polynesia.
- Comments: This has to be hands down the best AU Fate fanfiction I've read. If you've wanted to take a break from the canon characters for a while and read about different ones in the Fate setting, this is well worth a read. The story is excellently written and has a flow that grips you till the end. And the characters especially, nicely fleshed out and memorable. The author took care to stay away from the more common heroes people inadvertently use for stories like this while still keeping true to the feel of Fate.
- Recommended by Comartemis, TenFour, Walktalk
- Synopsis: Seeking to free Archer from his deal with the world, Shirou and Rin return to Fuyuki City ten years after the UBW True End to take part in the Sixth Grail War.
- Comments: What may well be one of the best FSN fics in the fandom, Ayleris knows his Type-Moon lore and isn't the least bit afraid to make references to the rest of Nasu's extended universe, particularly Fate/Zero and Tsukihime (which it is sort of a crossover with; be on the lookout for curry monsters with very large guns). Of special interest are the developments in the rest of the FSN canon cast; Saber and Taiga are the same as always, but Sakura... well... see for yourself.
by Hopeless Romanticist
- Recommended by Caellach Tiger Eye, Electroninja, nitewind
- Synopsis: "It turns out a single Excalibur is not enough to completely destroy the Grail, and Shirou's unwitting comment 'to go back' is interpreted by it as a wish to "go back" in time to the start of Fate." Shirou/Saber pairing.
- Comments: Peggy Sue fanfics in the Fate/stay night universe—at least, those with Shirou going back to the start of the 5th War—are a rare breed, and P.S. fics which are actually good are proportionately rarer. Which makes this fic stand out even more as a result, mostly because despite the intended ending being a Foregone Conclusion, Shirou simply going back in time does not equal pwnage, particularly since he's coming back from the "Fate" route and doesn't know as much about events as he might think (though he is more skilled and has ditched his infamous sexism and (most of) his bullheaded stupidity). Also, his hastiness (and approach) to changing things is flawed: not only does the first fight with Berserker end with Shirou in worse condition than before, but Rin becomes wary of him, because his reactions & claims regarding the War don't match up. Chapter 6 proves that the author is not handing out happy endings on a silver platter, making it that much easier to care about what happens to the cast.
by Kent Vonce
Fate Revenant Sword
- Recommended by 4seasons
- Synopsis: This is an AU story in which none of the seven Servants were summoned and the Masters summoned seven other servants instead.
- Comments: Trust me, this is the best AU Fate/Stay Night fanfic that I highly recommend. With FSN Servants replaced by other heroes that everyone's aware of such as Musashi Miyamoto, Achilles, Jeanne d'Arc, Morgan le Fay, and other new heroes replacing FSN canon Servants; with the exception of two, which was a certain True Assassin and a familiiar King of Heroes that we know of. The author of this amazing fanfic did the most wonderful job of combining elements of both three scenarios together. The fanfic is already complete, but there is some recent news that the author will do a rewritten version of this fanfic, which has yet to be published. And once he finished the rewrite, he'll start the sequel.
- Recommended by: Maymei, Elven Queen
- Synopsis: Angra Mainyu wants to be born. But the Fifth War is over, and Shirou has rejected the Grail. With the Grail System destined for dismantlement, no path to birth remains in the future. So what better solution than to send the winner back to the beginning and give him a second chance to fail? "I am Servant Saber. I ask of you: Are you my Master?"
- Pairings: Shirou/Saber
- Comments: A Peggy Sue fanfic that combined the anime series with the anime movie format, including minor changes to both and added the writer own ideas to the mix. The writing is easy to follow while the ideas are pretty interesting. Oh, and ALL HAIL TO Apeiron Lepida Leitoyrgei, King of the Forsaken.
- Has its own Trope page.
by Z.N. Singer
- Recommended by Trooper1023, Shinji117
- Synopsis: There are many theories about time. Some call it a circle, every repeating; others a line, never looking back. But the wisest call it a spiral, and say the future contains echoes of the past. But...if that is so...then do we all get second chances?
- Comments: A wonderful continuation of the FSN anime, and the many liberties taken with the Nasuverse don't detract from the quality of the story one bit. Opinions will vary, however, depending on how much of a canon-nut the reader is. Has a significant side of shipping (every one of the core characters with somebody), but really, this story is about the REALLY happy ending that Nasu never gave his characters in canon. Can also be found [[Fate:Spiral Time here.
by Cloud 802
- Recommended by nitewind
- Synopsis: One who could give up everything to save the people he loves, an interesting man to be sure. Shirou/Saber
- Comments: About a month after the fate route things appear to be returning to normal until Shirou when attempting to trace Archer's swords accidentally summons Saber. Unfortunately, it looks as though the Holy Grail wasn't destroyed as thoroughly as everyone hoped and a new Grail War is starting. Not only that but while Shinji may be dead Zouken Matou is still alive and plotting. Follows the fate route but incorporates much of heaven's feel. Also features UBW, Ilya goodness, Shirou, Rin, Ilya, Saber, and Avenger saving Sakura, and a whole new cast of servants (except Saber and Rider). It also appears that a sequel is in the works and will probably feature characters from Tsukihime.
- Recommended by The World of Fantasy
- Synopsis: Throne of Heroes is a place where Heroes from many ages exist. What was their story? How would their Heaven's Feels end? Read to find out. A collection of oneshots of Heroes.
- Comments: What can I say, this is a really powerful and a well-written collection of stories of the past lives of well-known heroes (some were mentioned in Fate series, or other heroic figures that never appeared or mentioned yet) who became Heroic Spirits that later leads to a "What if this Hero was summoned to the Holy Grail War" at the end of their one-shots. There will be many more to come, so keep your eyes open on this story to see which Hero will appear next.
by The Dramatic Director, also available on Archive of Our Own
From Fake Dreams
- Recommended by Electroninja
- Status: Complete
- Synopsis: When it seems Rin's attempts to teach Shirou the Mana Transfer Ritual are doomed to failure, Archer and Saber intervene to help.
- Comments: Its a hilarious crack fic that can be oddly sweet at times and one of the funniest fics this troper has ever read.
by Third Fang
Fuyuki High Class Reunion
- Recommended by EXpERieNCed, nitewind, Leidolf, Unclouded TJ, piattish
- Synopsis: Emiya Kiritisuguru was happy living the rest of his short days. He had put his past behind him... until he began to dream of futures that had yet to be. Let it be known that the Magus Killer was not dangerous simply because he was dying and would not fight.
- Comments: One of the few FSN fics that can be considered one of the fics out there. It shows what would happen if Kiritsugu train Shirou properly with his magecraft as well as telling him not to become a superhero. It's quite a serious fic but has some quite funny moments as well (to mention that Third Fang is quite famous for his Naruto fic which has more than a million words, which is both serious and wacky the same time).
The Game of Kings
- Recommended by Steve the Corn Muffin, ItsaRandomUsername
- Synopsis: This oneshot's subject material is not what you think it is about.. Takes place during the 5th Grail War.
- Comments: A very humorous one-shot. Saying anything else would give away too much. A must-read for the F/SN fan who likes their WTF? moments. Also contains some rather interesting backstory for the cast.
Heaven's Failure, aka "The Emilya Saga"
- Recommended by: AQZT
- Synopsis: The final Fifth Holy Grail War is Fought, Every Servant summoned is a titled King, Iskander has no Master, Shirou's wish is Granted, and the Apocalypse is Nigh.
- Comments: The basic concept boils down to this: Square the power of all Heroic Spirits other than Gilgamesh, allow only "Kings", the greatest Heroic Spirits who ever existed, to be summoned, have a version of EMIYA, who has the memories of every single one of the thousands of alternate Grail Wars he has fought in to be summoned as a Saber-cass Servant by his younger self, and place the fate of the world on Shirou's shoulders once again. You can figure out how things go from there.
- Moved to Sufficient Velocity following fanfiction.net introducing a bug which made it impossible for me to log in to that site. —Endfall
by Limit Break
Original Webcomics and first volume
The Hound and the Blacksmith
- Recommended by Andyzero
- Synopsis: An alternate take on the happy ending of "Heaven's Feel", since Shirou's body is full of holes, and Ilya doesn't need hers anymore, she gives him her body. (Not like that.) Thus, Emilya is born
- Comments: Non-H Doujinshi.. Mostly whacky hijinks as everyone adjusts, but there is one heartwarming scene.
. (The beginning is also available on FF.net
I Am Not There
- Recommended by Zaneal, Hymn of Ragnarok, nitewind
- Tropes page: The Hound And The Blacksmith
- Pairings: Archer/Rin, Lancer/Ayako, with a side of Shirou/Sakura and unrequited Rider/Ayako
- Synopsis: One's a Celtic demi-god with a lust for battle and the ladies, the other is a former Counter Guardian who's body is made of swords. Together they fight the forces of evil. Or something.
- Comments: The synopsis does not do it justice, this is another excellently engaging fanfic by Elf that captures the characters perfectly, and includes Lancer/Ayako.
, by Arashi Leonhart
I Put On My Robe And Wizard Hat
- Recommended by Aethyria, Nitramy
- Synopsis: Nobody knew what happened for sure. The township remembered the storm that had raged through their countryside. He remembered the divine wind of their savior. Contest entry for the Beast's Lair fanfiction competition.
- Comments: A powerful and simple story that will tug at your heartstrings.
- Recommended by Comartemis, Unclouded TJ, nitewind
- Synopsis: The Great Fuyuki Fire never happened, and Shirou was never orphaned. But ten years later, Grail War 5 happens anyways and sure enough, Shirou's got his Command Seals. But life as a modern teenager has given Shirou something potentially more valuable than Kiritsugu's ideals: exposure to 4chan, and the ability to successfully troll everyone and everything.
Shirou: Fuck my life!
- Comments: Epic crackfic. Uses a lot of 4chan memes and internet humor for comedy, but uses them magnificently, particularly Archer's use of the Old Spice routine and Rin's first exposure to the internet. Also features a Shirou/Ilya pairing by way of strategic use of Teen!Ilya. Also has some onesided Shirou/Saber on Saber's behalf. The sequel, Apostles in Leather Pants is up, focusing on the plot of Tsukihime.
by Born of Prayers
Lancer Gets Serious
- Recommended by Gemini24
- Pairings: Shirou/Sakura
- Status: Ongoing
- Synopsis: Due to a chance meeting with Kariya before the events of Fate/Zero, Shinji strives to follow in his uncle's footsteps and save Sakura from damnation of the Matou Clan. To do so, he must make many sacrifices and will endure pain like no other to compete in the next Holy Grail War, including becoming a Spellcaster—all for Sakura's sake. An AU Fate Stay Night story.
- Recommended by: spacemonkey37, nitewind, Darandomuser
- Synopsis: Essentially, a version of Fate/stay night where Kotomine lets Lancer off the leash and he gets to show just how awesome he really is. The story soon gets FAR more complicated than this, with unforgiving character death, battle scenes, and complex issues surrounding the combatants in the war. Essential reading for fans of the Hound of Ulster.
by Ricky Controversy
Legacies of Fate
- Recommended by Moczo
- Synopsis: A Sixth Holy Grail War looms, and with it the promise of tests far more dire than any that have come before. Set seven years after Unlimited Blade Works True .
- Comments: A re-write of an earlier work by the same author, this fic is still in the prologue but already has a lot of promise. The writing style is smooth, polished, and professional, and the plot (such as been revealed so far) has a great deal of potential. One of the only works I've seen that actually looks at the aftermath of this particular ending, it looks to be an interesting experience. Currently being rewritten.
Magical Vanguard Shirou
- Recommended by Dreitus
- Synopsis: With the death of Akiha Tohno, the last thing supporting the life of Shiki Nanaya disappears. Seeing her father slowly fade from her life, Takara Aozaki, ignorant of her power, calls out across the aether to the only existence that can save her sickly father.
- Comments: This story is the "Fate Prototype" that managed to see daylight. The epic tale of a grail war as biting as that of Stay/Night and Zero, it follows Takara Aozaki and her mysterious servant Lancer as they are sucked into a world of mages and Heroes. As they match their desires against their foes and try to survive, the remnants of the last war and a madman seeking to perfect his immortality make their own marks. The characterizations of Saber and Arcueid are especially striking and apropos of what might have been. The 6th war is a twisted reflection of the 5th just as that was to the 4th. If Kiritsugu's story in the 4th war paralleled the Epic of Gilgamesh and Shiro embarked on a grail quest in the 5th, then this depiction of the 6th war shares more with traditional epics like that of the Argonauts, Star Wars, etc. Whether written by Nasu, Urobuchi, or Kieren, they all are page turners.
- Recommended by DaRandomUsername, Steve the Corn Muffin, nitewind
- Synopsis: The Holy Grail becomes contaminated from the very get-go, and Angra Mainyu tries to birth itself into the world. How do the original founding families deal with the Divine Spirit? By adding a little twist to the Grail System in order to combat All the Evils of the World, that's how. Now, fast forward to the 5th Holy Grail War...
- Comments: What happens when you take Fate/stay night and throw in elements of super-sentai, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, a hint of Role-Playing games, toss in some delightfully enjoyable harem antics, mind rape and juice it up with a whole mess of hot-blooded action? You get Magical Vanguard Shirou. GAR-ness inbound. Unfortunately, the author hasn't updated for a while.
by Crossy Cross
(TV Tropes page
Nine Ways Archer's Plan Went Horribly Wrong
- Recommended by Electroninja, Unclouded TJ, Marq FJA, Black Sun Nocturne
- Synopsis: Shirou converts his nerves into makeshift magic circuits everytime he needs to use magic. A human body has millions of nerves. A magus has on average twenty circuits...maybe he's on to something there...
- Comment: While the story is brand new, the concept is very unique. If the nerves converted into magic circuits did in fact stay active, then Shirou could wind up as one of the most over-powered mages to ever live without ever realizing it. With his 2000+ pseudo magic circuits and an implied to be different past, Shirou is far stronger than ever, but is still a novice who doesn't seem to realize how far ahead of other magi he is and that is before he summons FOUR Sabers (Arturia, Lily, Alter, and Nero) at FULL POWER. The story may be new, but the author seems to have big plans ahead.
, by Mini Nephthys
- Recommended by Sparkysharps, TenFour, Animenutcase
- Synopsis: Nine short scenarios in which Archer's plan to erase himself from existence falls completely on its ass before it even starts. Fair bit of Archer x Rin.
- Comments: Simple, short, and bloody hilarious — as well as rather heartwarming in the final scenario.
Path of the King
- Recommended by: Rivenscryr, ItsaRandomUsername, Captchacritter
- Synopsis: In the history of the Holy Grail Wars, one family has been desperate to win - more than any other. This is the story of that their successor, of the search for the catalyst of the strongest Hero. This is the story of a young girl, uncertain of her destiny. A simple tale carried to extremes - it is but a tale of humanity.
- Comments: Set in the Balkans, Njeri is a deeply...human story (indeed, the title is Albanian for "human"), with Illyasviel von Einzbern and her homunculi companions setting out on a journey to a warzone to seek the catalyst for the strongest of heroes. But physical danger is the least of their concerns, as ghosts of the past dog them at every turn, and few things in the Nasuverse are quite what they seem to be. Refreshing for the uniqueness of the premise, the atmospheric quality of the author's work, and its look on Illya. The tension and confusion of a warzone, of the journey, were obvious, and the atmosphere...remarkable. This is an author to watch.
- Recommended by Ninja, Caellach Tiger Eye, Telogo, Leidolf, Unclouded TJ
- Synopsis: Amateur mage Shirou Emiya, on his quest to become a hero of justice, becomes a vigilante superhero known as The Archer.
- Comment: Originally caused by the author's Fridge Logic of Shirou not actually having done anything that heroic for a guy whose life goal is to become a "Hero of Justice," the story has great character interaction and well-written and creative uses of magic.
Precept of Destiny
- Recommended by iridium248, StevetheCornMuffin, ItsaRandomUsername
- Synopsis: Thirty years after the Fifth War of the Holy Grail, Ichiro Tanaka, protege of Emiya Shirou and Master of Assassin, participates in the Sixth. A Psuedo-crossover with Phantom of Inferno.
- Comments: Fate as film noir. Intriguing callbacks to both Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Hollow Ataraxia. Seems to be a Spiritual Successor to Fate/Zero in mood and tone, with an interesting lead character.
- Now has a Trope Page.
- Recommended by Person With Many Aliases
- Synopsis: Presumably following the events of the Anime, Shiro and Rin attempt to return to a somewhat normal life, only to find themselves being caught up fighting with and against Heroes in a battle across time, to try and stop the damaged Holy Grail from destroying all history.
- Comments: Many likable characters, old and new, return. Meshes combat, mythology, and humor very evenly, providing you with some utterly bizarre and awesome combinations that may need to be read to believe. Robin Hood as the Power Rangers.
- Recommended by Narvi, Rivenscryr, DaRandomUser.
- Synopsis: Basically Fate/stay night: The Mirror Universe. Archer is caught up in one of Rin's magical detonations, and is sent to a universe where he should (by all standards) have a goatee.
- Comments: Hilarious, if only for uncertain emo Shinji-esque Gilgamesh crushing on Archer, a crazy tyrannical Saber who has no taste in food yet remains a Big Eater, the delinquent Issei who keeps trying to burn the school down, and a Tsundere red-headed Sakura who now has no sex drive whatsoever. Also has bastard Shirou as an antagonist, who is about as evil and clever as good Shirou is nice and dim.
- Now has a sequel
by Moczo story on Fanfiction.net
A Stolen Heart
- Recommended by Theminimanx
- Status: Complete
- Synopsis: Rin gets a cold and goes insane, to the point of trying to cure the common cold. This turns out to go so wrong a future version of her comes back in time to kill her. Gets increasingly hilarious as more and more ridiculous versions of Rin show up. PURE CRACK.
(Beast's Lair version
- Recommended by The World of Fantasy, ItsaRandomUsername
- Synopsis: A whole world away from Fuyuki, in a city of mages, a new War threatens to break out. Seven new Masters are chosen and enter a life-changing battle, unknowingly becoming part of a War in which there are more players than the eyes can see...
- Comments: From the author that brought you A Stolen Heart (look above), comes another well-written Sixth Grail War FSN fanfic that I also highly recommended. With best chracterization, plot and setting, and so much more that it must be read. He even made this updated "guide" of this fanfic called Wise up! Fate/Re:Trace- Limited Special Collector's Ultimate Edition, that contains character profiles (Masters, Servants, etc) and the settings of the fictional city Hartcroft.
by Himura Nyuugyou (Circle) & HIMURA Kiseki
- Recommended by spamholderman
- Synopsis: Archerko enjoys slice-of-life in the Emiya household.
- Comments: Non-H Doujinshi.
by Stormedge (TVTropes page
Teach Us, Gil Sensei!
- Recomended by animeorbust, miragecoordinator, StevetheCornMuffin, DaRandomUser, nitewind
- Synopsis: In the fire that ravaged Fuyuki city, it was not Emiya Kiritsugu who saved the life of a young Shirou, but the tainted Grail itself, and he is then taken in by Kotomine Kirei as his adopted son. Ten years later, the Holy Grail War is about to begin, and Kotomine Shirou summons forth a kindred spirit as his Servant.
- Comments: An interesting take on a Shirou that seems to be different and yet the same.
by Verg Avesta
The Twelve Days of Carenmas
- Recommended by Pata Hikari, Darkholme
- Synopsis: After one to many indignities at the hand of Kotomine, the King of Heroes moves out on his own. After a bit of searching, he ends up as a PE teacher. Hilarity Ensues.
- Comments: An utterly hilarious work. The story is told from Gilgamesh's point of view, which means that we get to see how his pride and idiocy get him into so much trouble.
by Verg Avesta
What If (Almost) Everybody Was Shirou's Servant
- Recommended by Steve the Corn Muffin
- Synopsis: A Christmas fic that consists of a series of different chapters written in varying styles for maximum effect. Good, no, perfect for your Type-MOON holiday fix.
- Comments: Also contains the excellently written bonus Mind of Steel short-story "Faker" and a preview of the upcoming fanfic "Fate/End" also written with comparable quality. Avenger x Illyavenger. The fic as a whole contains a solid mix of comedy, drama, and is recommended to any Nasuverse fan looking for a good holiday story. Ever since the fall of the old Lair, the original shorts were lost, leaving only the final three segments, including Faker and Fate/End. Has a spiritual successor in the form of The Twelve Days of Saturnalia, which features Gilgamesh and Nero hosting a Christmas special and culminates in this little beauty right here. Just in time for the 2012 season is Twelve Days of Yule, so that too'll be worth your time.
by Mereo Flere
The World Without
- Recommended by: Electroninja
- Synnopsis: At the very start of the Holy Grail War, Shirou is attacked by Ilya and Berserker before ever summoning Saber. Somehow in his panicked attempt to escape, he summons all six other Servants.
- Comments: Easily the funniest Type Moon fic I've ever read. It starts out interesting and mildly dramatic, but quickly becomes a hilarious Crack Fic of epic proportions. Especially funny is the ways all of Shirou's Servants interact with each other.
, by Lunaludus Scribex
- Recommended by Comartemis, Cherry_Lover, Caellach Tiger Eye
- Synopsis: Follows Bad End #1. Shirou is as good as dead, but the war will go on without him. Unwilling to give up her chance at the Grail just yet, Saber seeks out the remnants of the Makiri family hoping to find a new master and finds herself enlisted by Zouken as a back-up Servant and bodyguard for Sakura.
- Comments: Shirou fans should be warned that several scenes go into rather graphic detail of what exactly Ilya is doing to his severed head (hint: power tools are involved), and Ilya fans should be noted that the psycho moeblob is not being portrayed very sympathetically. On the other hand, Sakura fans should note that the series seems to be headed in the direction of making her Shirou's stand-in as main character and Grail War Hero(ine). Everyone else should note that this is not a Dark Fic despite Shirou being dead; although Sakura being one of the main characters means significant amounts of angst are involved, there are also flashes of humor here and there and the author has done a bang-up job of recreating the overall feel of the series.
A New Hero In A New Land
The Artist and the Faker
- Recommended by: kinglugia
- Crossover with
- Synopsis: A land where Magic is not secluded, a land where Dragons and mystical creatures still exist. In another world lies a lone hero who strives for the happiness of everyone. Fate seems to work on the strangest of ways... then again, a hero's duty is never done, right?
by Agitated Animator
Crosswinds of Fate
- Recommended by Ninja, Leidolf, nitewind
- Crossover with Fate/EXTRA
- Synopsis: When the Einzberns summon Arturia Pendragon as Lancer for the 5th Holy Grail War, Shirou winds up summoning Saber-Nero from Fate/Extra.
- Comments: The story is very new, but it has a lot of potential and a solid writing style. While things haven't changed much so far, it seems that the Holy Grail War will be very different based on the simple fact that Kotomine now seems to be Caster's Master.
- Now has a Trope Page
Fate: Nightmare Apatheia
- Also includes 
- Recommended by Popthepuff, jarrett317, Kickerson
- Crossover with Harry Potter
- Synopsis: "You should think of this as an opportunity to learn about a completely different method of applied thaumaturgy," Zelretch explained. He then sighed and lamented, "For shame, to be cursed with such an ungrateful apprentice..."
- This troper has found that crossovers between two magic world based universes tend to end in one getting bashed or using the other to turn into a shameless self-insert fic, particularly more so for many Fate and Harry Potter Crossovers. Here, however, is something different. The characters are basically the same, set during the Order of the Phoenix for Harry Potter and 10 years after an end that is somewhat based off the UBW good end for denizens of the Fate verse. The story is well written and the characters aren't turned into something unrecognizable. There are a few bits that might seem off from the canon of either verse, naturally, but these don't do anything to demerit the story.
- Furthermore, despite the fic not being a humour or a parody, the author can and has written in plenty of hilarious moments throughout the narrative.
- Should be noted it's less of an action adventure and more of a academic study/magical comparison fic so far, though that's no demerit to the story at all which is still a good read. Nevertheless, some might find it a little odd that as far as plot development goes it hasn't progressed too much in it's near;y 100,000 words at this point.
Tower of Glorious B(something)
- Recommended by ThePhilosopherKing, crazyeater, nitewind
- Synopsis: Welcome to Fate/Nightmare Apatheia. Welcome to the war. A deceptively simple crossover between Code Geass and Fate/stay night. The Holy Grail War becomes the deciding element in Charles' and the Grail's plans for Instrumentality, leading to a guaranteed Gambit Pileup revolving around Servants and Immortals. One of each falls into the hands of two Ashford Academy students, Servant Saber for Shirou Emiya and the Immortal C.C. for Lelouch Lamperouge. With both Servants and Immortals scattered throughout the world, the Holy Grail War is escalated to a global conflict, promising a new release to Angra Mainyu, All The World's Evil.
- Comments: Combining the worlds of the Nasuverse and Code Geass, F/NA takes the tried-and-true formula of simply mixing both works into the same story and turns it into something glorious. This fic starts both protagonist's routes anew, and then proceeds to intertwine their paths seamlessly. Everything familiar about CG and F/SN is still present, and preserved to an exacting degree. However, the combination of both opens up the fic to a plethora of promising ideas. The hints of knightmare-magecraft combat, Servant battles on the scale of entire military operations, and Immortal special forces are simply tantalizing for a military buff. Not to mention the excellent characterizations and interactions. Definitely one of the 10% worth dying for.
FateGeass: The Eden Vital War
- Recommended by Zeus Xenios
- Crossover with Tower of God
- Status: Ongoing
- Synopsis: Crossover fiction between Tower of God and Fate/Stay night. Aaron Gentles gets dropped into the cut throat and often cruel world of Tower of God, in which he will joyfully make due with his unhappy circumstances and learns the value of trust, family and constant, unceasing victimization of those unlucky enough to cross his path along the way. Rated T for violence. It takes place during the first season of Tower of God.
- Comments: A very enjoyable fic with great and well choreographed action scenes.
The Hill of Swords
- Recommended by Rivenscryr, Steve the Corn Muffin
- Crossover with Code Geass
- Synopsis: Set in an altered Code Geass universe with Fate/stay night elements mixed into it, this fic tells the story of the most recent Eden Vital War, a ritual established to minimize damage in resolving disputes between Code-bearers with different visions for the future of the World of C, since the last dispute resulted in a world-spanning war that destroyed Atlantis and nearly caused The End of the World as We Know It. But, as the cast of Code Geass isn't exactly known for following rules, V.V. decides to stack the deck by sealing away C.C. before the War in order to prevent her from stopping Instrumentality. C.C. does not take kindly to this, and upon her release during the Shinjuku Incident, appoints Lelouch as the 8th champion of the War - Avenger, the wielder of Absolute Retribution.
- Comments: While what is featured is admittedly something of a departure from the traditional Holy Grail War, both in concept and in scale (it empowers currently living humans all over the world who meet the standards of the various Servant classes), FateGeass is still an interesting read, with AlfheimWanderer doing an outstanding job of blending elements of the Nasuverse into the world of Code Geass, with the result a refreshingly unique story. From references to Geass as a channel for the power of a greater archetype crystallized in the collective unconscious (one that they can use in the physical world, as opposed to the phantasmagoria in which most Servant battles are fought in this continuity), the balance of daily life at Ashford Academy with a secret life of combat and intrigue, and many references to myths and legends, this fic captures the style of the Nasuverse quite well, weaving it together with tantalizing bits of the other world's mysterious past.
by gabriel blessing
- Recommended by Ninmikey01, Rivenscryr, Schizo Technician, TenFour, nitewind, Shinji117, margibso Zfish9, Unclouded TJ
- Crossover with Zero no Tsukaima
- Synopsis: Shirou Emiya has dealt with human summoning, magical battles, and saving the world. Now he is brought into a world where magic equates to nobility. The Zero has just summoned a Hero. Completed.
- Comments: While, as the author notes, this is not the first Fate/stay night/Zero no Tsukaima crossover ever thought up, it is one of the most promising in execution. The attention to detail, weaving of hints, and laudable efforts to flesh out exactly how Shirou fits into this new world make this tale a fresh take on the setting, one well worth reading.
by Dark Syaoran
FATE Holy Grail War of 2814
- Recommended by ShadowAI, Unclouded TJ
- Crossover with Harry Potter
- Synopsis: Author's Summary: The dictionary defined fiction as thus: something feigned, invented, or imagined; a made-up story. The act of feigning, inventing, or imagining. Yes, Harry thought, this defined him nicely.
- Comments: This is a fic that treats the Harry Potter books as works of fiction and has Harry improperly summoned by Caster. Aside from being well-written and paced this story deals quite well with Harry's attempt to come to terms with his fictional nature, and I would recommend it even for people not too familiar with Fate/stay night. It's a bit short now but the author is updating.
by Shadow Crystal Mage
- Recommended by Ninmikey01
- A mega crossover, connects with Takamachi Nanoha Of 2814
- Synopsis: Interconnected with the storyline of Takamachi Nanoha of 2814. The Holy Grail War gets mixed in with the madness of magical girls, Books of Darkness, blood, gore, and many references to Freud. WARNING: HEAD MAY EXPLODE WHILE READING THIS FIC.
by gabriel blessing
- Recommended by Ninmikey01, nitewind
- Status: Complete
- Crossover with Sekirei
- Synopsis: Honestly, Shirou was beginning to think that he should be used to this — being unwittingly selected to take part in brutal tournament that he had no idea existed until he found himself in the middle of it. Then again, second time's the charm, right?
- Comments: Another awesome FSN crossover from the same mind who gave birth to The Hill of Swords. The canon characters of Sekirei are shifted around a bit. There are also some good ecchi scenes. And considering the art style of the Sekirei manga, there will be a lot more. Note that this story had the first two chapters posted within a day of the other; this will probably match the update speed of HoS, so hold on — gab will definitely bring us another great story.
- Recommended by Chel, nitewind, Aishata
- Crossover with Berserk
- Synopsis: As long as his body can grasp his sword he refuses to fade away. The title of struggler defines his existance. It is time for the black swordsman to enter another war. A war between Masters and Servants. A war for the holy grail.
- Comments: A strangely emotional and compelling story, despite its somewhat awkward structure. If you know anything about Berserk, reading this story will give you chills.
- Recommended by Rivenscryr, ItsaRandomUsername
- Crossover with Tsukihime
- Synopsis: In a dying world where civilization has been brought to its knees, can even a would-be hero maintain his course? Or like so many others, will he stray from it...and fail? A sidestory to Evangel Notes
- Comments: "Fletching" is one of those stories a brief summary simply cannot do justice to. It is the story of a man who wanted to be a hero, living only to save people, bitterly discovering that not everyone could be saved. It is the story of a woman who simply wanted her end, living only to destroy a certain person that her tortured existence might come to an end. It is a story of two humans souls slowly wearing away in a blighted land of steel, questing after impossible goals in a world shot through with despair and desolation until they reach their destinations at last, finding perhaps not what they sought, but what they truly needed. It is all of these and more. Raw, powerful and poignant, it beautifully captures the struggle of two human beings trying to keep their humanity in a hostile world, finding strength in the least likely of places.
by Nameless Flame Wielder
The Third Magic
- Recommended by Bf, nitewind, Pastykake
- Status: Ongoing
- Crossover with Bleach
- Tropes page: FateBlack Reflection
- Synopsis: With Aizen's plans foiled in Karakura, Ichigo and his friends are called to investigate strange happenings in nearby Fuyuki City. Hang on, what the heck are Magi? And who's that woman who's calling Ichigo "Master?"
- Comments: An absolutely excellent crossover. It blends the two worlds together perfectly by introducing the Bleach universe into the Nasuverse and seeing how it will affect the Holy Grail War while maintaining balance between both franchises. A must-read for people who like both Bleach and Fate/Stay Night.
by Deviate's Fish and AlfheimWanderer
Fate Deathly Poison
- Fanfiction.Net link here.
- Recommended by DaRandomUsername, Steve the Corn Muffin, Rivenscryr, nitewind
- Crossover with Familiar Of Zero
- Synopsis: After "succesfully" completing the Springtime Familiar ritual, Louise finds out that she is now the master of a certain white-haired homunculus. Follows the Unlimited Blade Works storyline.
- Comments: If we're going to recommend every single good FOZ fic out there, might as well rec this. What could have been just another "What if Louise summoned X?" story, but it deviates quite nicely early on, which is nice and apparent even from early chapters. To start things off Illya is actually Myozunitonirun, NOT Gandalfr and also summons Archer!Heracles as a familiar spoiler. The very fact that the classical Void Familiar class has been changed (and therefore open to just about any other candidate) is an enticing thought. Perverted!Illya is a riot. Another thing to consider is Tiffania summoning Archerko.
An Island in the Warp
- Recommended by Oblivionhold
- Crossover with Tsukihime
- Synopsis: It's a new kind of Grail War. Instead of fighting each other, they must fight a far more deadly foe: Hisui's cooking.
- Pure, unadulterated crack. It calls back to very dramatic scenes in the original game, references mythology, and has everyone perfectly in character. Except now it's all related to cooking the world's most terrible stew.
by Grimgor Ironhide
Beast of the Moon
- Recommended by Shinji117
- Crossover with Warhammer 40,000
- Synopsis: Radical Inquistors try and summon a Daemonhost, only to get the King of Knights from after the Fate route. (Avalon Huzzah!) Things get...interesting.
- Comments: While the story is so far still quite short (Saber has yet to leave the Inquisitorial base), the crossover seems to be done well. Her interactions with the Radicals are certainly in-character, and the confusion and misunderstanding of the Radicals leads to a situation where diplomatic connections break down. And then they think she wants to possess someone, and try and give her her tortured Master as a Daemonhost. However, in the latest chapter the Inquistors and Saber seem have come to a kind of agreement, with Saber putting aside her smoldering hatred and disgust for the good of humanity. All in all, a very good fic that certainly doesn't sugarcoat anything from the 40k 'verse and keeps Saber in-character.
, by Kieran
Herwald von Einzbern and the Philosopher's Stone
- Recommended by Comartemis
- Crossover with Final Fantasy X
- Synopsis: In an alternate timeline Shirou's bond with Ilya led him to make a wish on a purified Grail. From that wish came Grail Works LTD, a Second Magic-powered troubleshooting agency formed on Shirou's desire for a chance to save everyone, everywhere. Now the agency faces its toughest case yet when the spirit of Bahamut enlists their aid to free Spira from Yu Yevon's cycle of death.
- Comments: One of several stories by Kieran and several other authors set in the same 'verse. The insert characters for this fic are Saber and Kieran's self-insert Kurai (who happily enough is not your typical self-insert) along with Ilya and other characters acting as Mission Control. Replacing Tidus with a heroic spirit and an epic level druid might not seem like the most interesting decision, but Kieran is very much a proponent of the stance that "one who makes Frodo a Jedi must give Sauron the Death Star": Shuyin and Vegnagun are extremely likely to become problems in addition to Sin, which has mistaken Saber and Kurai for rogue aeons and is now actively hunting them.
, by kyugan
Fate Night Sky
- Recommended by Xamusel, Unclouded TJ
- Crossover with Harry Potter
- Synopsis: As from the Fanfiction.net entry: "The 5th Heaven's Feel has been averted, with no apparent victor, but for Herwald von Einzbern, recently turned eleven, a whole new adventure is about to begin in a world he left behind ten years prior."
- Comments: A story that starts off a series by kyugan, Kiritsugu adopts Harry shortly after he finishes a job that involves killing a Sealing Designate, Harry gets renamed Herwald, he becomes one of Ilya's little siblings (when Shirou enters the picture anyway), and he becomes an Alchemist that takes part in the Fifth Heaven's Feel... and later enrolls in Hogwarts because of his birth parents. The story is complete, but it has a sequel up set during the events of The Chamber of Secrets, which shows that the author knows what he's talking about... even though Herwald is Slytherin in this series.
, by Beasts lair's Fraggle
Thu'um of a Distant Utopia
- Beast's Lair link: http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/1000-FSN-x-MGLN-crossover-Fate-Night-Sky
- Tropes page: Fate Night Sky
- Recommended by YeOfLittleFaith, Kazeto, nitewind, Xamusel, spacemonkey37
- Crossover with Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
- Synopsis: It was just a small wish: To live with their master and their friends as those uneventful days passed by, to see him grow up as he chased his ideals by his own strength. To become an ally of justice; a hero who can save everyone.
- Comments: A story in which the Book Of Darkness binds itself to Emiya Shirou instead of Yagami Hayate. A interesting idea with a good deal of potential, and a greater amount of work put into it. Even though it is still in its infancy, it delivers some well-done character interactions. The initial development of the Wolkenritter's feelings towards Shirou as their master is truly endearing and heartwarming.
by Deviate's Fish (TVTropes page
by Zalgo Jenkins
- Recommended by Mythtakesweremade and Grand Prince Paul II
- Crossover with Sekirei, Fate/Zero
- Now with a trope page: Postnuptial Disagreements
- Synopsis: Author's Summary: Years after his parents survived Heaven's Feel, the son of Kayneth and Sola-Ui finds himself in a different sort of supernatural tournament. But can he survive superpowered alien females, scheming businessmen, and his own partner's urge to strangle him?
- Comments: Somehow, Kayneth Archibald El-Melloi and his wife Sola-Ui survived the fourth Heaven’s Feel ritual. Their son, Meriwether, seems like a chip off the old block when he travels to Japan to research the Fourth War. Unfortunately, his short layover at Shin Tokyo takes a little longer than expected when he accidentally wings Benitsubasa and gets dragged into the Sekirei Plan. Benitsubasa soon finds to her disappointment that her Ashikabi has lived a rather...sheltered life. Not that this will stop our protagonist from making the Sekirei Plan a whole lot bloodier...
The Xth Loop: Sword/Stilled Time
- Recommended by AQZT, ItsaRandomUsername
- Crossover with Tsukihime
- Synopsis: Late one night in the Clock Tower, a frustrated Rin and a mildly amused Zelretch have a little chat. As the moon shines down, the Wizard Marshall weaves a tale for his prize pupil, of the greatest and most costly battle of his career...
- Comments: A oneshot involving Zelretch telling Rin the story of how he defeated Brunestud of the Crimson Moon. It is absolutely awesome.
- Recommended by StevetheCornMuffin, nitewind, Keimarios
- Crossover with Puella Magi Madoka Magica
- Synopsis: In this Madoka Magica/Type-MOON fusion-crossover through a series of traumatizing, dangerous events Homura Akemi accidentally ends up contracted with a certain sword Projecting Counter Guardian who was trying to kill her moments before as she re-enters her newest timeloop. The presence of this red mantled, vaguely untrustworthy man of steel will irrevocably alter the events of the series. But in this uneasy alliance the zinger question is who will get saved first: Madoka Kaname, or the world?
- Comments:Put simply, this is a team-up between the resident badasses of Fate/stay night and Madoka Magica. What could end up as a simple curbstomp battle through and through as a result of a Homura/Archer tagteam is not so, because the contract between the two is far from perfect, leaving prana supplies necessary for Noble Phantasm spamming from Archer in precarious supply. This theme of urgency and seriousness is palpable throughout the fic. Not only does it stay true to the spirit of Nasu and Urobichi's works, Archer's interactions with the rest of the girls, and the glimpses into his mysterious, dark past are certainly the highlights of the story.
Fate/Far Side by Arashi Leonheart Link to Beast's Lair's thread
- Recommended by Gentlemens Dame 883
- Crossover with Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Yes, really)
- Synopsis: Replace almost everyone in the 5th War with someone from Monty Python, including making Saber a composite of our Arturia and their Arthur. Except for Archer. Poor Archer.
God Slaying Blade Works
- Recommended by Raven2785, nitewind
- Crossover with Tsukihime
- Status: Complete.
- Synopsis: Kiritsugu takes Shirou to Misaki City on a trip to see a physician for his illness, and one day wandering down the street on a rainy day he stumbles across a young redheaded girl in a Kimono without an umbrella and decides to walk her home. Years later, after the events of the Grail War, Shirou, armed with the knowledge of what really happened to his father as well as for nostalgia's sake, decides to take a trip to Misaki once more.
- Comments: The author begins with the with the simple idea of having Shirou around for an alternative take on the Far Side Routes post-Tsukihime and what he gives us is a well written, in-character trip into the family secrets and skeletons of the Tohno family, Arashi Leonheart also does a good job of giving us a Shirou who is a little haunted and confused about his place in life after having suffered through the events of Grail War. Overall a great read and it's my recommendation that you try reading it on Beast's Lair as the author has set up links to the respective soundtracks of Tukihime and Fate/Stay Night to set up a better atmosphere.
by Marcus Galen Sands
Fate Reach Out
- Recommended by cerokun, OathToOblivion
- Crossover with Campione!
- Synopsis: The first Fate/Stay Night-Campione! crossover. A Heavens Feel Shirou finds that himself and Illya have been pulled into another world by a corrupted Grail. There his actions lead to him becoming the Eighth god killing Devil King. Now he has to deal with becoming someone who rules where he walks, even if he doesn't want to. That and trying to find a way back home.
- Comments: A very well written, enjoyable read. Everybody's in character and the fight scenes are incredibly epic.
- I concur. It's incredibly well written, especially for someone's first story. It contrasts the mechanics of the Nasuverse with the Campione!verse, but doesn't laud one over the other. I'd give it a thumbs-up if Fanfiction.net had a rating system. -OathToOblivion
- Now has a a Trope Page. Needs Wiki Magic Love.
by Vegeta the 3rd
, FF.net Link
Fate: Sword to Black
- Recommended by Yuusha Fan, Unclouded TJ, nitewind
- Crossover with Video Game/Persona4
- Trope Page
- Synopsis: (From FF.net) "A chance decision leads to an unlikely discovery. The mention of a rumor leads to an unbelievable mystery. And the connection to a long forgotten family leads to an unforgettable experience. Welcome to Inaba, Yu Narukami... or should I say Shirou Emiya? (Co-Authored by Nameless Flame Wielder)"
- Comments: I don't know why this fic wasn't listed sooner. It's only 16 chapters long at this point, but considering the quality of the writing (especially the fight scenes), this is one crossover to look out for. Now has a trope page that Needs Wiki Magic Love.
- Recommended by Gemini24, nitewind
- Status: Ongoing
- Crossover with Bleach
- Synopsis: Ichigo Kurosaki thought his life dealing with the supernatural was over. He was wrong. Now Ichigo is dragged into a war that never should have happened.
- Recommended by: MetalKing1417, Captain Silver
- Crossover with War Hammer 40000
- Synopsis:Zelretch, bored to death, decides to cause mischief. As a result, the Grail calls upon seven of the most overpowered Servants the Throne of Heroes has in store. In the not so grim darkness of the current present… there can only be property damage. And crazy aliens.
- Comments: The masters of the fifth grail war summon servants from War Hammer 40000. Though not very far along, the interactions between characters are pure gold, especially between Lancer (Trazyn the Infinite) and Gilgamesh.
by Farmer Kyle
Promises of a Wandering Hero
- Recommended by: Second Son, nitewind, Pastykake
- Status: Dormant
- Crossover with Bleach.
- Trope Page
- Synopsis: For a history project, Ichigo travels to Fuyuki City to gather local information after an awry Hollow attack destroys the school. He heads to Ryuudou Temple to learn of its history, only to stumble into a secret war that has been waged for almost two centuries. This is the story of a boy trying to find his place in the world, and the girl who stitches the pieces back together.
- Comments: Forgoes the usual overpowered Ichigo thrust into new world that usual Bleach crossovers go with, instead using the depowered Ichigo that resulted from defeating Aizen. Its good to see Ichigo's inner thoughts during his current status, as well as his interactions with Assassin. This fic now has a Trope page that Needs Wiki Magic Love.
by Neoalfa (TV Tropes page
Fate Revelation Online
- Recommended by Nitramy, threetoedsloth
- Status: Ongoing
- Crossover with
- Synopsis: He promised to be a Hero capable of saving everyone. But before that he made other promises he can't remember under a different name. How will Shirou react when he finds his lost past?
- Comments: What if Urashima Keitaro were in Fuyuki on the day of the fire? What if he were raised as Emiya Shirou? What if his birth relatives found him several years after the War? The answer: this story, and as it unfolds, watch general awesomeness and Character Development happen.
- Recommended by Leid
- Status: Ongoing
- Crossover with Sword Art Online
- TvTropes Page
- Synopsis: Ilya likes to play video games, and in the time she has remaining, Shirou is more than willing to play the new VR game with her. But when they are trapped inside the game, [Sword Art Online], they determine something even more distressing: Kayaba Akihiko is definitely a Magus.
- Comments: What when you apply Nasuverse into the Sword Art Online story? You get this excellent story, featuring the cast of both series as they try to survive.
by Lupine Horror
A Demon Lord's Hero
- Recommended by Evil Master
- Crossover with Harry Potter
- Synopsis: When Zelretch gets bored and tries to experiment and Fate herself latches on then you can only hope the end will be to your benefit as now even Fate cannot see what she has done. Has She doomed a world or has she pushed it to prosperity? The decision lies in the hands of a young boy who does not know the love of a family.
- Comments: A fanfic where we can not only see some of the less known Nasuverse character being portrayed but also one where we can see just how messed up the wizard world can be on the eye of a magus by a rather different kind of Harry Potter. A story that is not only becoming a big success and is beginning to generate own spin-offs and has it's own okame page with over 300 of them created by fans. Needs a troop page as soon as possible
- Fate's Gamble is just another "protagonist becomes super-special-awesome butterfly with amazing power and a huge harem" fanfic without any sense of satire on such unironic chauvinist powertrips
- Fate's Gamble starts off in a rather bumpy way, and is far from the perfect story. However, it is what it is-an enjoyable read if it's your kind of story. The author works along to fixing the issues in his story and making characters who come off as such earlier on less one-dimensional, and it certainly has it's "epic" moments, which is a given in such a long saga. Fan's of the Nasuverse may enjoy it more-the author has a fairly intricate understanding of the workings of the verse, though again not perfect, and does his best to incorporate this into the story, which can be interesting to read. However, as said above, it's not necessarily for everyone if you can't get past certain issues, and it's not the singular best fic out there, so while I do recommend it, I do so tentatively.
- Status: In progress.
- Recommended by The One True Slacker, expertus
- Crossover with High School DXD
- Synopsis: When I sold my soul to the Devil, I thought I was prepared for anything. I wasn't. I didn't expect him to be a her. Or dressed up as a magic girl carrying a pink wand tipped with a cheerful yellow star. Her being a prankster however didn't come as much of a surprise. You know, the Bible would have been a whole lot more interesting if they included stuff like this. complete AU
- Comments: Just finished the first Arc, managed to make Kokabiel likable, and Asia is an alcoholic.
- John At Dawn: Yeah, no. What was likable was an OC with Kokabiel's name. This fic should not be here. There is constant bashing, Shirou-wank, OOC behavior, and use of bad fanon. Issei and Rias in particular are treated like crap, and the author specifically stated he did it because he didn't like them in canon. In addition, he outright ignores canon facts when they contradict his story, and when confronted with this, he deleted the forum thread instead of taking criticism.
Mega Crossover fics
Crossover fics between three or more.
The Lives and Times of Kaleido Shirou Schweinorg
- Recommended by Rivenscryr, Darkholme, StevetheCornMuffin
- Crossover with Neon Genesis Evangelion, Dot Hack, Final Fantasy XIII, Assassin's Creed I, Tsukihime, and Berserk
- Synopsis: Everyone knows that the Holy Grail War is a ritual where magi contend for a wish using Servants, human spirits that have ascended to near-divinity due to the legends of their deeds. But what if Avenger's contamination of the Grail in the Third War had distorted the ritual beyond what anyone thought possible. What if the Servants summoned weren't even quite those of ancient legend, but modern media? And what if the underlying mystery behind the circumstances that led to this abnormal Grail War were a major driving force of the story at large?
- Comments: While others have fiddled with fictional Servants in the Grail War in the past, most have limited themselves to simply replacing Assassin. This fic, however, seems to be going the route of replacing every Servant with a fictional counterpart, while still staying true to the 'feel' of Fate - exploring the mystery behind a spirit's true identity. Arguably the "original" of the "replace Servants, get instant megacrossover" fic. Even with few chapters (including the near-requisite Tohsaka prologue), hints of how the fic as a whole will be are evident with Rin/Luvia interactions, Shinji Ikari as Rin's Lancer, and Luvia's mystery Servant (going only by Ryou) throwing a Spanner in the Works. Shirou ends up summoning Lightning, True Assasin is Altair summoned by Ciel, and Berserker is Guts. With an A-list cast like thisv it's a mega-crossover that one should definitely keep an eye on.
Infinite Paths by Lord Mist
- Now has its own TV Tropes page.
- Recommended by lhklan
- Multi-crossover. So far: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, Berserk, Prisma Illya, Touhou, and Infinite Stratos
- Sypnosis: By chance, Kischur Zelretch Schweinorg stumbles upon a dying boy in the Fuyuki Fire. He decided then, to "to create his successor himself, to mold him so his mind wouldn't break under the stress". And as a result, Kaleido Shirou Schweinorg was born.
- Comment: A collaborative work between multiple authors, this one deserve a place here. From the minds of ILurkNoMoar, Santo, Old Iron, YeOfLittleFaith and many more, the tale of the adopted son of Zelretch unfold as he travel accross the multiverse, running into troubles and beautiful women along the way.
- Recommended by brightwing, TinCanKnight
- Crossover with
- Synopsis: There are infinitely many Servants that could have been summoned after all. From an infinite number of multiverses. Ever wondered what if Batman or Sherlock Holmes were summoned as a servant? The Holy Grail war will never be the same again...
- Comments: Ongoing series, with the author taking character suggestions from the readers. He does brilliant justice to the characterization of the heroes from all the series thrown into Fateverse. Watching the canon characters repeatedly get flabbergasted when confronted with the alien new Servants is, frankly, priceless. It’s also interesting to see their powers and attributes well-translated into Noble Phantasms and reading the character sheets in the end. So far we have Edward Elric, Venom (Spiderman), James Bond, Batman, Samurai Jack, Sherlock Holmes, Han Solo, Jack Sparrow, Nicholas Wolfwood, Eragon, Aragorn, Integra Hellsing, Grisia Sun, Demon Eyes Kyo, Kakashi Hatake, Ciaphas Cain, The Slender Man...
The premise is that different Servants spanning a wide variety of genres (anime/film/manhua/books/etc.) are summoned as Servants for one of the Masters in the Holy Grail War. The writing style is very good (but not perfect); however, each chapter has a Crowning Moment of Awesome in it to really make the fic stand out. Humour is abundant as well.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
The Thirteenth Labor
, by ItsaRandomUsername
- Recommended by darkestjudgmentisblack, fanfiction.net link here
- Pairings: Illya x Shirou/Avenger, tongue-in-cheek Ship Teasing of Berserker x Track Team Trio x Taiga x Saber
- Synopsis: Set during the events of Fate/hollow ataraxia, post-Quartet, Illya drags Shirou into town so that they can have some fun together. Easier said than done when Berserker is the de-facto chaperone and Shirou may be losing his grip on reality the more time he spends in the presence of the Holy Grail. Even if the stage is fake and life is full of risk, that's no reason for enjoyment to not be had. Inspired by content that didn't make it to the final version of the game.
- Comments: Humorous, heartwarming, and wistfully melancholic, "13" does a fine job of characterizing not only Shirou and Illya's relationship and how it develops, but also the very themes and tone of Hollow Ataraxia itself as a whole. The writing uses deliberate word choices to help convey nuances and double-meanings that when caught on re-readings give the story a sense of thoughtful depth. Also full to bursting with Mythology Gags and Continuity Nods from both Stay Night and Hollow and real world folklore, respectively.
Black Princesses, Crow's Wings and Hero's Broken Dreams
- Recommended by Comartemis, TenFour, T-bone61, Cherry_Lover, nitewind
- Pairings: Lancer/Sakura. No, really.
- Synopsis: While performing his recon duties several days prior to the official start of the war, Lancer happens to witness one of Sakura's... "fits"... and is compelled to lend her a hand. One thing leads to another...
- Comments: The author could have stopped right at the "is compelled to lend her a hand" part and if she had she would have made a fairly decent PornWithoutPlot lemon, but it's the "one thing leads to another" that makes this such a fun story. Lancer's initial encounter with Sakura throws a bit of a monkey wrench into the gears of the Unlimited Blade Works route and saves Sakura from getting the shaft in a very satisfying manner (while giving her another shaft in an equally satisfying manner). The story is short, little more than a lengthy one-shot composed of a collection of scenes spanning the length of the war, so don't expect a complete retelling of the arc. On the other hand, if you've ever wanted to see Sakura get swept off her feet by a Badass Knight in Shining Armor, you're going to love this fic.
- Recommended by Comartemis, TenFour
- Pairings: Bits of Rin/Aoko and lots of Rin/Archer
- Synopsis: Altrouge Brunstud wants a rematch with Arcueid, and nothing will stop her from getting it. Not even a Grail War veteran, a rogue sorceress, a Burial Agency executioner, and a Counter Guardian.
- Comments: This one's primarily a Fate/stay night fanfic, but members of the Tsukihime crew are present as well and considering Altrouge's objective it seems likely that Shiki and Arcueid will be making appearances in the near-to-distant future. The story takes place a few years after what appears to be the anime version of the FSN Fate route, with Rin attending classes at the Clock Tower while the rest of the gang is still in Fuyuki. The story is very Rin-centric but also features a few enjoyable original characters and appearances by and references to characters from all around the Nasuverse, including everyone's favorite Blue Magic Gunner, who takes a major role in the story. Be warned, though, this one's a Lemon with a Rin/Aoko mana recharge sequence and a few Rin/Archer scenes as well. Here is the interlude The Fall of Emiya Shirou''.
Steel and Cherry Blossoms
- Recommended by Spectral Time, TenFour
- Pairings: Shirou/Caster
- Synopsis: Shirou is locked in combat with Gilgamesh at the climax of Unlimited Blade Works... or so it seems.
- Comments: Just a one shot. The pairing is a bit odd, and only comes to the fore partway through for a nice Wham moment, but for all its borderline-Crackedness, the writer manages to make it work well, culminating in a frankly heartwarming conclusion. Part of the fun is figuring out exactly what happened to produce the circumstances of the fic. There is a lemon partway through.
. (The beginning is also available on FF.net
That Ever Illusive Utopia
- Recommended by neothoron, Cherry_Lover, nitewind
- Pairings: Archer/Sakura, with a dash of Rider
- Synopsis: A girl needing a hero, a fallen hero needing someone to save. After a wish making a seemingly perfect world not everyone is saved, nor is everyone happy.
- Comments: This fanfic goes from an interesting (though slightly crack) idea, and executes that idea extremely well: the characters' psychology are thought through and consistent with canon; each of Archer's interactions with the other members of the cast is enjoyable in its own way. It also goes beyond the plot's apparent denouement (ie after having saved Sakura) to explore the Archer/Sakura relationship in all its awkwardness. Will probably feature a "mana recharge" scene at some point, but the story is excellent already without it. Also features the King of Heroes being kicked in the balls by Rider.
. (The beginning is also available on FF.net
and on the Dark Side of the Moon forum
All From a Hospital Bed
- Recommended by Hymn of Ragnarok
- Pairings: Archer/Saber, with a side of Shirou/Sakura and a touch of one-sided Archer/Rider
- Synopsis: She was a king who gave everything to serve her people, he was a man who desperately wanted to save everyone. They thought they had failed both in life and in death, but together they may find that they had succeeded far better than they thought.
- Comments: A very interesting take on a Post-HF story where Saber and Archer are resurrected alongside Shirou. Saber's recovery from the events of HF are very well done, and the budding relationship between Saber and Archer alternates between touching, d'awwww, and that lemon scent Elf is famous for. It's got action and drama as well, and the plot finally is coming to a head.
- Recommended by Gigle
- Pairings: Shirou/ Ayako
- Synopsis: Shirou visits Ayako at the hospital in the middle of an alternate Heaven's Feel.
- Comments: You slowly piece together the plot from each of Shirou's visits and it gradually gives a grim picture. An interesting exploration of someone who stays on the sidelines and has a decent ending.
- Recommended by Dman163
- Pairings: Shirou/Sakura
- Synopsis: When a little accident disrupts the summoning of Heracles and instead summons Arturia as a Berserker for the young Einzbern Master, how will Emiya Shirou react at having Heracles as a Saber in his command? Rating may change in the future.
- Comments: Worth the read because it isn't just a "what if Shirou got X Servant instead of Arturia", also Zelretch using the Kaleidoscope to troll the Fate universe in an awesome way
by Angry Santo
- Recommended by Elven Queen
- Pairings: Shirou/Saber
- Synopsis: The young and world weary Shirou Emiya catches a glimpse of the one whom he will eternally search for.
- Comments: This one-shot is very well-written. The scene where Shirou reunites with Saber, however briefly, is especially beautiful. By the end, I wanted to give Shirou a hug and tell him to be patient for just a while longer.
- Recommended by Faraway_2
- Pairings: Rin/Proto!Archer
- Synopsis: What would happen if Rin summoned Archer from Fate/Prototype (A different Gilgamesh, without a ten-feet pole up his...), and they stumbled upon Fate/Stay Night Gilgamesh.
- Comments: An absolutely hilarious shortfic where Rin and her Archer, while on a patrol, stumble upon Gilgamesh. An awesome case of verbal one-upsmanship ensues, and in the end, Rin retires for the night with her Archer, while canon Gil is left standing with his pants down. Must See!
- Seconded. Good God, it's perfect. -g3m1n1
- Recommended by Cherry_Lover, nitewind
- Pairings: Archer/Rin, Shirou/Saber
- Synopsis: After recovering from Kotomine's attack during the Grail War, Rin is surprised to find Archer somehow miraculously resurrected, along with everyone else killed in the war. However the mass resurrection isn't as happy as it seems as people try to make new lives, and Matou Shinji realizes he has many sins to atone for.
- Comments: The latest in her Catharsis series, Elf gets back to the couple she does best. As usual from Elf, very well-written, and the characterisation is excellent. Archer's interactions with Rin are particularly good, as usual, although the other characters are by no means ignored.
by Joel 7th
- Recommended by 4seasons
- Pairings: Diarmuid/Sakura
- Synopsis: What Matou Sakura craves for is not the Holy Grail but a protection. And he is the Heroic Spirit that has traveled across times and space to answer her heart's desire.
- Tags: AU fic