One of the more casual tropers on The Wiki, Comartemis is a fanfiction enthusiast and a raging anime nerd with a naturally-occurring Evil Laugh
(which he spent several years cultivating in high school). He also has an intense hatred for darkfics and depressing shit in general. Oddly enough, he loves Warhammer 40,000
, especially the Ciaphas Cain
can usually be found prowling the Fan Fic Recommendations
pages looking for new entries or adding his own. His preferences vary widely depending on genre and series, but the main standard he measures his fics by is the technical quality of the writing; the more that a fic reads like a novel, the better he'll rate it, even if the plot or the characterization isn't anything special, though they certainly help as well. An additional caveat is that the more Comar likes a series, the closer a fanfic has to be to Original Flavor
for him to like it; his taste in Nanoha
and Sailor Moon
fanfics is particularly narrow and eschews nearly all forms of Darker and Edgier
Pages This Troper Has Authored:
Tropes Associated with Comartemis:
- Angst Aversion: This is all you need to know about his taste in media, really.
- Badass Bookworm: Regards himself as one, but probably doesn't fit the "Badass" part.
- Badass Creed: Kill the darkfic. Burn the angst. Purge the bad end.
- Berserk Button: Several, including:
- Shippers who take shipping WAY too seriously.
- Sexual intolerance. Use of the word "gay" as an insult is a sure-fire way to piss him off but good.
- New Chaos. Comar has a burning desire to write Revenge Fics about the Super Robot Wars crew grinding these guys into the dirt, or maybe Tzintchi getting his ugly backside Giga Drill Breakered, but he lacks the motivation.
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha BetrayerS: The biggest one of all. DO. NOT. EVER. MENTION. THIS. PIECE. OF. SHIT. Unless you are deliberately trying to get Comar to go on a screaming raging frothing-at-the-mouth rampage. Yes, it's extreme Fan Dumb, and no he doesn't particularly care what you think about it.
- Black Cat: Eve > Everything.
- Catch Phrase: Life's a bitch. Make her yours.
- Darker and Edgier: A very controversial issue for me, especially in regards to fanfiction, and skirts the Fan Dumb line for a few particular series'.
- I used to make a blanket statement saying that I would sooner chew on a live power cable than read a Darker and Edgier fanfic, but on reflection I've realized that I've already read and enjoyed quite a few such fics. The difference between the fics I like and the fics I still won't read lies with how much of the show's tone is preserved, how many of the themes are left intact. For instance, there are many Sailor Moon fics I've read that are a lot more serious than the anime was, and The Power of Love often needs a bit of firepower to back it up, but at the end of the day all the good guys live, all the bad guys are beaten (or come back to get beaten in a sequel) and love and justice still prevails over the forces of evil. Fics like The Return, on the other hand, rip the optimistic heart out of the series and replace it with Face Heel Turns for some of the Senshi and cynical themes like Humans Are Bastards, while others make the Senshi out to be the villains of the story (Dark Crystal Tokyo fics tend to do this a lot) or have the heroes fight with each other with little hope of reconciliation. These things clash horribly with the established tone of the series and in nearly all cases for all series remove key elements that made the show so attractive to me in the first place.
- Evil Laugh: Hmhmhmhm... HmhmhmhyahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHA!
- Fan Dumb: Fits the definition of Canon Dorf in regards to the Nanoha franchise's constant slippage into Darker and Edgier territory. Comar tries very hard not to be a douchebag about this issue when discussing the series, but the Nanoha universe and the tone of the Classic and A's seasons is sacred to him, and the further the show slips away from that point, the more his interest in it dies. As of the latest chapter, Force and everything that comes after it is Discontinuity to him.
- Fan Nickname: Comar, courtesy of the guys on Anime Suki.
- Fate/stay night: Shirou is more badass than Archer. That is all.
- Fan Fic Recommendations: The one place on TV Tropes where you're most likely to run into him.
- GIFT: He doesn't usually fit the "fuckwad" part, but Comar is a lot more outspoken and argumentative online than he is in real life. This may, however, have less to do with the matter of being anonymous and more to do with the matter of not having a speech impediment preventing him from getting his points across, so it may or may not count.
- Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni: Comar still isn't entirely sure what it was that convinced him to give this series a shot, but he's very glad it did.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Comar tries to be a nice guy, but frequently lapses into Jerkass territory when sufficiently annoyed, usually by stupid and/or stubborn people. This has gotten him into trouble with the moderators on Anime Suki several times.
- Lighter and Softer: As opposed to Darker and Edgier, this is almost never a bad thing to Comar, and he's read numerous Lighter and Softer fanfics that he's liked much better than the series they're based on. The Evangelion fandom, for instance, is loaded with such fics.
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha: Comar's favorite series at the moment, and the one whose Original Flavor he holds most sacred.
- Sailor Moon: Comar's first anime series, and one he's still a big fan of many years later.
- Shinji and Warhammer 40K: Beats the pants off of The Open Door.
- Shipping: Comar does his best to stay out of shipping debates because it's intensely stupid to argue about the love lives of fictional characters, but he still has a few favorite pairings, most notably Nanoha/Fate, Keiichi/Rena, Negi/Harem, and Shirou/Harem.
- Single-Issue Wonk: Take a wild guess.
- Toloveru: Yami-chan is the only reason anyone should pay attention to this series.