Fanfic / Fate:Zero Sense
is a Fate/Zero
Crossover fanfic by The Infamous Man
(Who is also the author of Just An Unorthodox Thief
and A Different Kind Of Truth
) that is best classified as a dramedy
, giving equal parts action, comedy, and drama.
What makes it different from other Fate/stay night
fanfics is the fact that all
the servants except for Saber are new fictional characters. Truly throwing a wrench into things is the titular character of Deadpool
, summoned by Kotomine as Assassin. Then there's Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
's Kamina, summoned by Waver Velvet as Rider. Caster, in this fic, is Sasuke of the Uchiha clan
. Archer is Vash, the Humanoid Typhoon
. The Berserker class has been filled by the Espada character Grimmjow Jaegerjaquez
. Finally, the character summoned to fulfill the Lancer class is traumatized Shinji Ikari
from Neon Genesis Evangelion
Following Zero Sense
is the sequel Fate: Stay Away
, set during the events of Fate/stay night
. It features Black Cat
character Ex-Number Train Heartnet
as Archer, Rebuild of Evangelion
character Frozen girl, Rei Ayanami,
as Lancer, Fairy Tail
character Erza Scarlet
as Caster, Casshern Sins
character the titular Casshern
as Berserker, Soul Eater
character the arrogant Black*Star
as Assassin, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
character Simon the Digger
as Rider, and (amazingly) the Fate/stay night
character Counter Guardian EMIYA
The author also created another fanfic called Carnival Frenzy
, a Carnival Phantasm
version of Fate/Zero Sense
and Fate/Stay Away
is complete, but the sequel, Fate:Stay Away
, is officially a Dead Fic
as of April 1st, 2015.
This fanfic provides examples of:
The sequel, Fate: Stay Away, provides examples of:
- The Ace: Rider and Waver are just that good.
- A-Cup Angst: Saber. Then again, the other girls work on anime physics...
- Assassin Outclassin': The main point of the fight between Assassin (Black*Star) and Archer (Train Heartnet).
- Asshole Victim: Shinji Matou.
- Bash Brothers: Shinji and Rei have very similar abilities as Servants, but Shinji has better stats and Personal Skills whereas Rei has better Noble Phantasms; mainly, she has three extra lives and the ability to summon Zeruel. Even more so when Rei is from the Rebuild of Evangelion continuity and Shinji is from the original series.
- Breakout Villain: Though Kirei and Wade were always supposed to form a Big Bad Duumvirate and be the main villains, a mixture of Evil Is Cool, Laughably Evil, and being Magnificent Bastards made them so popular that the author has modified the story so that they appear in almost every chapter. Later they become much more credible threats, committing atrocity after atrocity loaded with Black Humor.
- Continuity Nod: Bazette's Servant mentions Neon Genesis Evangelion and Bazette, not having heard of it, asks if he means Neo, a film that was made during the timeskip as a result of efforts to cover-up the fourth Holy Grail War.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Assassin, a.k.a. Black*Star, even moreso than his canon counterpart. He normally has his pre-Character Development personality, but when a fight gets serious he reveals he has his manga counterpart's competence. He kicks both Saber's and Shinji Ikari's asses in his first fight.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Assassin's battle against Saber and Shinji is basically a dragged-out execution with Assassin as the executioner. Berserker dishes out one to all Servants except Rider.
- Curse Cut Short: "Bender" gets silenced before he can finish his catchphrase.
- Deconstruction: The prequel and this story can be considered a deconstruction of fictional characters being introduced into the Nasuverse and breaking the Fourth Wall. Kirei goes insane with the information he is not real, many people still die despite heroic characters being around, and though some things have improved, horrible events still occur. Plus, even the Servants suffer throughout the course of the stories. Shinji Ikari is a prime example: despite living a happier life he's still riddled with guilt over having caused Third Impact. Angra Mainyu constantly reminding him through Nightmare Fuel-level dreams does not help his sanity.
- Defictionalization: In-Universe. The flimsy cover story in the fourth Grail War about a movie being made in Fuyuki got a lot of positive reaction, which led to the movie actually being made. It even produced a sequel.
- Dissonant Serenity: As the fic enters Cerebus Syndrome Kirei and Wade's comedic nature stops being funny, and begins to make them fucking terrifying as they casually commit crime after crime, reaching its apex when Kirei kills Illya.
- Drama-Preserving Handicap:
- Rider and Waver always show up late to the fights.
- Having been struck by lightning at some point in the ten years between wars, Volumen Hydragyrum's automatic defense now only responds to projectiles, giving Waver a much less perfect defense than it did Kayneth.
- The Dragon: Avenger becomes this to Kirei and Wade.
- The Dreaded: Lancer eventually become this to everyone but Rider. Although she, herself, is actually a rather sub-par Servant, her ability to transform into Zeruel will cause both Berserker and Avenger, each with game-breaking powers, to retreat without question.
- Dying Curse: Wow, Caster! Taking a page from Fate/Zero's Lancer, this is in her own words:
"I-Is there a level any of you will not sink to? Kidnapping, hidden agendas, back-stabbing... DO ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY SHAME!?
I won't… I won't forgive any of you for this! All of you are selfish monsters, fighting for your own reasons and not for others! You only reach for the Grail for your own selfish desires, hoping to achieve something to bring peace towards yourself and not for others! You denied me from protecting my Guild… my family…!
I-I hope that the Grail is cursed! That your wish will ruin
you! YOU WILL REMEMBER FAIRY TAIL WHEN YOUR LIVES FALL TO RUIN!
- Dynamic Entry: Assassin appears on the scene of a battle with a whoop and a kick to Avenger's chest. Soon after, Waver and Rider make their entrance into the War by crushing Berserker with a giant drill.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: TIM says that this applies to Shinji.
- Eviler Than Thou: In Chapter 5's Omake short: Abridged!Popo, if he were ever summoned, would call the grail effortlessly and drink Angra Mainyu's soul.
- Expy: Kirei's ideaology and lifestyle is strangely similar to General Tarquin's from The Order of the Stick.
- Fallen Hero: Avenger, a.k.a. EMIYA, even more than his canon counterpart. Although in canon EMIYA was very twisted, he could still be called a hero, albeit a Tragic Hero. This version is perfectly willing to kill Ilya, his counterpart's Morality Pet. Justified reaction because this EMIYA's Morality Pet is not Ilya, but Sakura.
- False Reassurance/Exact Words: Kirei, in his natural element. He tells Caster/Erza that someone made a replica of one of her swords and used it to kill Shinji Matou, making Shirou and Sakura come after her, that the culprit did so to finally have an excuse to take out a Servant, and that the culprit was Assassin. She assumes he's talking about Sakura's Assassin. He's really talking about Deadpool.
- Genre Blind: Caster can't seem to figure out that the Nasuverse doesn't follow shonen rules and that the good guys can actually lose here.
- Genre Savvy: Avenger. He has watched nearly all the Anime the other Servants come from. He's even able to distinguish between alternate versions of a single character. Then again, he's Counter Guardian Emiya. What did you expect?
- Gut Punch: Chapter 23 "Q Note Part II: Memento Mori", it has to be read to be believed.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Saber temporarily enters one upon meeting Rider. Why? Because at seeing him following his Aniki's ideals, Saber realizes that Kamina was right all along.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Kirei and Wade have this type of relationship, and Waver and Rider are forming one.
- Idiot Hero: Deconstructed with Caster/Erza. Because she comes from such an idealistic setting, she easily falls for Kirei's rather flimsy con, thinking everything will magically turn out okay like it does in her home universe.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Because it's an easy way to show off his Nigh-Invulnerability, this happens to Wade semi-frequently. Before the Cerebus Syndrome kicks in, it becomes a Running Gag for Kirei to stab him in the forehead to stop him from revealing spoilers. After it kicks in, he gets stabbed sideways through the head by Assassin's sword and later gets pinned to a wall by a sword through his chest.
- It's All About Me:
- Erza's Dying Curse reduces her to this.
- Assassin personally believes that any Heroic Spirit who participates in the Holy Grail War is reduced to this, himself included.
- The Juggernaut:
- Following in Grimmjow's footsteps, Casshern proves himself to be pretty much invincible, taking on Saber, Lancer, Archer, Caster, Assassin, and Avenger at the same time and WINNING! He even kills Rei, sort of. It takes Rider to stop him. That's right, Casshern is able to defeat SIX Servants. All. By. Himself.
- Rei's Zeruel form. Bonus points because she manages to get an "Oh, Crap!" reaction from the Servant who's a Physical God.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: How Wade survived without the orphan farm from canon. He stored up prana by killing a bunch of two-bit tyrants, warlords, murderers, etc. Basically, he fed on the scum of humanity.
- Knight of Cerebus: Overlaps with Cerebus Syndrome for Kirei and Wade. Their humorous natures just seem to enhance how something is incredibly 'wrong with them as their atrocities pile up.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: Assassin and Archer spend the majority of their time being jokes and embarrassing their Masters for differing reasons. Then, they fight each other, they stop being funny, and it is glorious.
- Lightning Bruiser: Berserker, also the Juggernaut. All of his stats except luck are A-rank.
- Mage Killer: As a result of Maiya's survival, Shirou is being taught his adoptive father's combat style and magecraft. He really puts a huge dent in Avenger's plans by using an Origin Bullet on his master Bazett.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Shinji Ikari, not knowing that Zeruel is actually Rei, goes out to fight her and nearly kills her before she calls out to him, prompting this reaction from him.
- Mythology Gag / The Stations of the Canon: Like in Fate/stay night, Bazette is screwed by Kirei, and like in Fate/hollow ataraxia, Bazette summons Avenger. Just not necessarily in that order, in this fic.
- Naked on Revival: Rei can bring herself back to life three times, but she is naked upon revival.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Zeruel, the Angel of Might, and it lives up to its name by causing both Berserker and Avenger to run away from it really fast.
- Not So Different: Angra Mainyu accuses Shinji Ikari of being just like him, all the way down to having to hold "All the Evils in the World". Shinji can't disagree.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Assassin is much sharper than he lets on, knows Sakura's Dark and Troubled Past, and is the smartest member of Team Emiya.
- Oh, Crap!: Lancer/ Rei has her Crowning Moment of Awesome when she transforms into the Rebuild version of Zeruel and causes Simon the Digger to utter this.
- Omniscient Morality License: Though Kirei is most definitely NOT a hero, no one ever suspects him of being evil until the time is right, no matter how weird and blatantly evil he acts or how many times he breaks the fourth wall in front of people. However, this is justified because he works for the author, who uses his powers to protect him. Lampshaded and discussed by Kirei and Wade, the latter of whom calls it by name.
- One Steve Limit: Averted with Shinji Ikari and Shinji Matou. Later, double-subverted when Matou is unceremonuosly killed by Kirei and Deadpool in a half-assed attempt to frame Caster.
- Only Sane Man: Assassin ironically enough becomes this for Team Emiya.
- One-Winged Angel: Lancer's Zeruel form.
- Plot Armor / Death is Cheap: Lancer/Rei Ayanami can revive three times. In case it's not clear, she doesn't die when she's killed.
- Physical God: Rider/Simon the Digger. How powerful is he? Avenger realizes that he could win the war by himself with ease. Having an Anti-Universe Noble Phantasm tends to even any odds.
- Precision F-Strike:
- Avenger delivers one when he learns that the previous Holy Grail War was fought almost entirely with characters from modern fictional series and that from what he's seen, the current one will be the same.
- All of the Servant-Master teams end up gathered in one location, and Avenger knows who they all are and how powerful they are. Each Servant who shows up is more powerful than the last, finally culminating in Rider's arrival. When he sees Rider, Avenger can't take it anymore and gives a loud, vehement Precision F-Strike.
- He gives a more restrained, "Shit," when he sees Zeruel and notices which version it is.
- Kotomine Kirei gives one when he sees that Maiya pulled the pins on her last three grenades and dropped them on the floor of the bell tower before he threw her off, and he has nowhere to go.
- Punch Clock Villain: Kirei and Wade manage to be this and Card-Carrying Villains at the same time. Although they are both unrepentantly evil, they also work for the author and follow his orders, and when not being evil or breaking the fourth wall they live rather normal lives.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Maiya delivers one to Kotomine. Kirei, who up until this point has been completely calm and in control, goes ballistic.
"Hmph." Maiya muttered, grinning slightly as she looked at the man in front of her. "You are pathetic, Kotomine Kirei." Kirei's eyes widened in shock while Maiya continued. "You are not following a 'script'. You're just taking the easy way out of the problem you are in. I don't care if there is a God, or simply just a man on a computer. I came here to face you because I chose to do so. Protecting Shirou and fulfilling my order to Kiritsugu were my decisions, and even if what you said is true, I would never regret a single moment I lived my life. However you, Kotomine Kirei, are nothing more than a man scared of taking control of your life. You are a pathetic, empty, shell of a man."
- Running Gag: Pre-Cerebus Syndrome, Kirei gets into the habit of stabbing Wade in the forehead to stop him from revealing spoilers.
- Serial Escalation:
- In the first fic, Waver summons Kamina as Rider. In the sequel, he summons Simon the Digger.
- Lancer!Shinji could summon Unit-01. Lancer! Rei can become the Zeruel/Rei fusion.
- Sanity Slippage: Sakura justifiably undergoes this during her Breaking Lecture to Aoi and Rin as she remembers Zouken's "training".
- Serious Business: Kirei apparently considers it serious business to find out how many times Kenny has been killed in South Park, though he may be just trolling Rin.
- Sneeze Cut: As with the first story, it happens a lot.
- Sore Loser: The Sequel's Caster dies cursing everyone fighting in the war, and levels many accusations at the party; including that they're all so obsessed with having their wishes granted that they'd resort to unfair methods. Then she curses them for not letting her have HER wish granted. All in all, she does not face her death with dignity like the others do...
- Squishy Wizard: Averted with Caster/ Erza. More than one character ponders that she might have been better as Saber.
- Stepford Smiler: Assassin is hinted to be one.
- Take That!: Surprisingly of his own humor and those who use the same premise of Zero Sense. TIM basically admits through Deadpool that his own humor sucks, and calls those who do the same type of fic and say they are 'inspired' by Zero Sense are not doing anything original and are even in some cases blatantly copy-and-pasting parts of the fic and claiming it as their own.
- This Is Gonna Suck:
- Avenger's reaction when he recognizes what version of Casshern he is fighting.
- Soon after, Avenger reacts vehemently this way when he learns that one of his opponents is Simon the Digger. The normally unshakeable Avenger flips!
- Avenger flips again when he watches out of the window and sees Zeruel. And again when he recognizes which version of Zeruel it is!
- Took Alevel In Badass: Waver hasn't just been sitting on his butt politicking over the last ten years. He's gone from a wimpy Non-Action Guy to Rin's better in a fight. Kamina would be proud.
- Trolling Creator: A strange in-universe example with TIM telling Kirei that he's going to win.
- Tsundere: Rin is most obviously one (and Kirei will never let her forget it). Illya becomes an aborable Tsundere when trying to act like she doesn't care about Berserker/Casshern.
- Underestimating Badassery: Avenger refuses to believe that Kirei and Wade can break the Fourth Wall and constantly tells himself that they are just nuts. He also reassures himself that Waver couldn't possibly provide enough prana for Rider to summon Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. He's forgetting that Team Dai-Gurren's motto is to go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb.
- Unstoppable Rage: Shinji loses it when he sees Zeruel and immediately summons Unit-01 and almost beats it to death in rage and revenge for what it did to him and his friends in his homeworld. He only stops when he learns that it is really Rei transformed into Zeruel, leading to a My God, What Have I Done? moment.
- Weak, but Skilled: Archer may not have the utterly broken Noble Phantasms his opposition have, but he's probably as skilled as the canon fake Assassin. It's best shown when he matches Rider blow for blow.
- Wham Episode:
- Things start getting serious before Chapter 15, but come that chapter it solidifies hard. How hard? If the first Servant killed in the war declares a Dying Curse on the Grail, it's all downhill from there.
- Then there's Berserker and Illyasviel's defeat and death by Wade, Avenger, and Kirei.
- What Could Have Been: Furthers the tradition of small omakes of could-have-been Servants with BOTH Jin and Mugen as Assassin, Abridged!Mr. Popo as Caster, Death the Kid as Archer, Madarame Ikkaku as Lancer, Asura as Berserker, Spike Spiegel as Rider, and The Punisher as Avenger.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Assassin is terrified by Excalibur, as in his series Excalibur is even more egotistical than him and has a short temper. He also declares Saber a hero because she can deal with him.
- The Worf Effect:
- Saber continues to be outclassed in the sequel by getting her ass handed to her by Assassin. Once again, this is justified because all of the other Servants can screw the very strict laws of the Nasuverse on a whim. Taken to Butt-Monkey levels in a later Omake: in an alternate summoning of Berserker, Asura doesn't even let Saber finish speaking before she gets Megaton Punched to the curb.
- Everyone is worfed by Berserker. Repeat: every Servant gets worfed. At the same time. Except Rider.
- Then Berserker gets brutally worfed by Avenger in Chapter 12. How is that possible? Four words: Nine Lives Blade Works.
- Taken to heartbreaking levels when Wade and Avenger are able to defeat Berserker by launching a surprise attack and having him focus all his efforts on protecting Illya rather than fight them.
- World's Strongest Man: Rider is by far the strongest Servant in the War, and maybe the strongest person currently in the Nasuverse. He could easily win the Holy Grail War in a day if he felt motivated.