open/close all folders
ProtagonistsThe main characters of the series.
he may be Not Quite Human.
- Accidental Pervert: Frequently.
- Achey Scars/I'm Having Soul Pains: Often his right-hand hurts when he leaves a Dream Demon's Daydream. It also hurts when Kyou uses his powers.
- Ambiguously Human: It's implied that he might be something other than human.
- Aura Vision: He can see what dreams people experience with his right hand by looking at the color surrounding them.
- Chick Magnet: To start, he has the obvious affection of Isana, there is a lot of Ship Tease between him and Merry, and there are some mild hints that Yui might like him as well.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome
- Curtains Match the Window
- Fan Boy: Of Toku.
- Fusion Dance: "Ultra Lucid Gadget" lets him take a Dream Demon into himself and fully access their power and change his appearance to look like the Dream Demon.
- "Chaser": In addition to John Doe's saw-guillotine, he also gains the belt and cape. He also gets John's mask with ears on the side of his head and his shirt gains a stripe on his right side. Yumeji gains the power of Super Speed.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Hinted to be this but he is really a case of Touched by Vorlons.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Seeing into people's dreams is actually incredibly useful.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: He gets hit with this after he finds out that Hercules' vessel is his best friend right as Hercules takes over Takateru's mind and body completely. And the only reason Hercules had enough time to do that was because Yumeji promised Takateru that he wouldn't use his 'dream vision' since it made Takateru uncomfortable.
- I Owe You My Life: His original reason for staying with Merry.
- Idiot Hair: Even though he's not especially stupid.
- Invocation: Uses the titles of Dream Demons he's met when using Lucid Gadget.Yumeji: "I'll borrow it, <Insert power's name>!"or "Lend me your power, <Insert power's name>!"
- The Lancer: He's not a potent enough combatant to be The Hero, but he can provide excellent support.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Again, to Merry.
- Mega Manning: His "Lucid Gadget" ability allows him to replicate the powers of Dream Demons he's previously met. Actually, Yumeji isn't actually recreating their powers in the literal sense, he simply lacks the imagination to create anything original.
- "Chaser": Replicates the saw-guillotine sword that John Doe wields.
- "Loneliness": Replicates the giant kokeshi Ichima uses. It can be launched or dropped from nearly every angle.
- "Lovers": Replicates Chris Evergreen's right hand that can be used as a Rocket Punch.
- "Chain": Replicates Noir's chain.
- "Maze": Replicates Landsborough's mechanical clown minion.
- "Familiar": Yumeji makes a clone of himself like Legion.
- "Maestro": Replicates a hand puppet that can conduct loud music like what the Achtelnote twins use.
- "Pharos": Alters the daydream of a Dream Demon.
- "Hunter": Replicates the weapon wielded by Ren when he fuses with Quartier Latin. Yumeji's Idiot hair also changes to look like a lightning bolt.
- "Garden": Replicates one of Engi's Sannasubi swords.
- "Ice Wall": Replicates Hrimthurs' ice.
- Most Writers Are Writers: Part of the Writing Club. He actually met John and his cat minions in the beginning during his Writer's Block in August.
- My God, What Have I Done?: By keeping his promise to his friend, he allowed said friend to be completely consumed by the Big Bad. Needless to say, he doesn't take this revelation well.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Well not including his 'dream vision' ability.
- Second Year Protagonist: He is a sophomore.
- Special Odd Hand: Yumeji can see the color of what the person will dream by making a circle with his thumb and index finger of his right hand and looking through it. He has also the ability in daydreams and eventually the real world to create weapons or replicate abilities he has seen with his right hand.
- Took a Level in Badass:
- With his Lucid Gadget ability.
- Gets another one when he used Lucid Gadget in the real world and then Ultra Lucid Gadget.
- Action Girl
- Adaptation Dye-Job: On the manga covers, her hair seems to be dark indigo, but the anime changes it to more of a burgundy.
- Curiously, this doesn't just apply to her hair; there's no real indication of this in the original art, but the animators make Merry's skin slightly pinker than everyone else's.
- Adorkable: Mainly when Donuts are involved.
- Animal Motifs: Sheep, frequently lampshaded.
- Badass Adorable: She's pretty damn cute for a demon, but don't let her petite body and stunning looks fool you, she's one hell of a powerful girl.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Fights with fisticuffs, in comparison to every other character.
- Bare Your Midriff: Constantly. The anime even treats it as Fanservice — instead of Panty Shots, we get gratuitous closeups of Merry's bellybutton.
- Subverted in the beach episode; Merry doesn't own a swimsuit, and the one Isana lends her is her old one-piece from school.
- Barrier Maiden: Merry IS part of the system that keeps the dream world separate from ours. Her getting stuck in our world is one of the things that allowed Heracles to rise to power.
- Berserk Button: Don't ever hurt her friends, especially Yumeji.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Isana's Betty.
- Catch-Phrase: "I have no hopes or dreams."
- Chest Insignia: Arguably the symbol on her camisole top is a stylized Z with the top line going all the way around.
- Cute Bruiser: John actually wonders aloud how she can get so much power out of such a small body.
- Cute Little Fangs: She has them.
- Cute Monster Girl: Being a female Dream Demon.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: Never gets a Panty Shot, but she's still every bit as tough as the average Action Girl.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Is a Dream Demon, but without a doubt, she is on our side.
- Does Not Like Spam: Dislikes carbonated drinks.
- Ironically, chapter 99 reveals that she was really excited and wanted to try cola when Yumeji first explained it to her.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Her pupils are horizontal rectangles.
- Expy: Possibly inspired by Maribel "Merry" Hearn.
- Facial Markings: Two little purple triangles, one under each eye.
- Gamer Chick: She enjoys playing video games.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: Does this after Yumeji starts blaming himself for Takateru's mind being completely consumed by Hercules.
- Heartbroken Badass: When one misunderstanding almost gets Yumeji killed via Taking The Sword, Merry's rage is sufficient to cause her to Take a Level in Badass right then and there.
- The Hero: Mostly by default, but she's pretty well-suited to the role.
- In-Series Nickname: Yumekui Merry, of course.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: Her coat's coat tails are somehow always curled.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Male Gaze: As noted above, she has a lot of shots focusing on her exposed stomach.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: She definitely manages to make Yumeji's life more interesting, although he wasn't an Ordinary High-School Student to begin with.
- Meido: Her work clothes.
- Monster Roommate: Since she doesn't have a place of her own, staying with Yumeji and Isana is the obvious solution.
- Ms. Fanservice: She can play this off good, due to her good looks, and Bare Your Midriff & Male Gaze shots.
- Nice Hat: She almost never takes it off — which is only to be expected, considering she was created by an author who used to be best known for Touhou doujinshi.
- Nice Shoes: Merry wears slip-on shoes with a closed eye sigil design on the toe box of each one.
- Pointy Ears: Has them but are often hidden.
- Security Blanket: In the first episode, she misplaces her hat, panics, and stumbles away from Yumeji mumbling "My hat, my hat, where's my hat..." When she later recovers it, she explains that she's just not comfortable without a hat on.
- She-Fu: How she fights.
- Sigil Spam: Her jacket, hat, and shoes have the symbol that is like the top arch on the Gate. It looks like a closed eye.
- Stripperiffic: Indeed. Her attire includes clothes such as a top which leaves most of her stomach exposed, a short skirt that displays her legs rather nicely, and of course the obligatory thigh-high stockings. Which makes it quite amusing on h
- Super OCD : Had a case of this back when she worked as the Gatekeeper. As she kept a massive pile of keys in a certain order, placement and location and after Yumeji messed them up she quickly put them back the way they were.
- Super Toughness: Dream Demons can be hurt, but they — especially Merry — can take a lot more punishment than ordinary humans. For example, there's a scene in the manga, where Merry, Yumeji, and a few others have stumbled into Maze's dream space, that involves Yumeji about to be hit by a robotic clown wielding a giant sledgehammer; Merry leaps in, takes the hit for him, and proceeds to beat the robot into scrap while shouting "THAT... HURT!!"
- Took a Level in Badass: Once she remembered her role as "Sheep", the gatekeeper of the "Gate".
- Trademark Favorite Food: Donuts. She adores them.
- Trademark Least Favorite Food: She can't handle carbonated drinks.
- What Is This Thing You Call "Love"?: Claims not to understand love and other such human emotions.
- That said, after having been asked whether or not she liked Yumeji by Isana (prompting the above claim), she begins to list all of Yumeji's good qualities and how important he is to her, prompting Isana to muse that Merry's feelings are "liking someone."
- You Gotta Have Indigo/Burgundy Hair
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A with white socks with black stripes.note
Maid Cafe, STO Cafe. She quickly befriends Merry, and it is hinted that she and Yumeji met her at some point in their childhood.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In the manga, her hair is purple-tinted, but the anime turns it white.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Merry's Veronica.
- The Chick: Shares this position with Yui.
- Childhood Friend Romance: To Yumeji.
- Girlish Pigtails: Has them when she uses hair ties.
- Hair Decorations: Wears hair ties on her pigtails.
- Hollywood Pudgy: Invoked. She's very insecure about her weight, and occasionally teased about that insecurity, but she still looks cute and petite to the audience and none of the other characters seem to actually care.
- Chapter 39 takes this to another level.
- Idiot Hair: Like Yumeji, she's not particularly stupid, just not a genius.
- Meido: Part of her job.
- Missing Mom: Her mother died prior to the start of the series.
- Nice Girl: Unless Yumeji walks in on her at the wrong moment or a guy talks about her weight.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest: Clearly has very strong feelings for Yumeji, and apparently has had them for some time.
- Tsundere: A mild Type B towards Yumeji.
- You Gotta Have Lilac Hair: In the manga.
Old Man Tachibana
"Chaser" John Doe
inhabits the body of a black cat in the real world.
- Aloof Ally: Only helps when he deems it necessary.
- Animal Motifs: Cats.
- Awesome McCool Name: Seriously, Chaser John Doe!
- Badass Baritone: Both Joji Nakata and Chris Ayres give John a ridiculously awesome baritone.
- Badass Cape: He even keeps it as a full-on cat!
- Cats Are Mean: Subverted. He turns out to be an ally.
- Chainsaw Good: John's weapon is a guillotine shaped chainsaw-like sword.
- Cool Mask: After Merry breaks his first one he replaces it.
- Dark Is Not Evil: He's a sinister figure at first, but it turns out he's one of the good guys.
- Expressive Mask: His mask can subtly shift between a smile or frown.
- Hero Antagonist: He debuted invading Yumeji's dreams in an effort to take over his body. He later settled for a cat.
- Improbable Weapon User: Word of God says it's a cross between a saw and a guillotine.
- In the Hood: He never takes his hood down.
- It Amused Me: Occasionally acts this way, such as having Yumeji treated by Cat Girl nurses and pretending to be surprised when he complains.
- Large Ham
- Meaningful Name: Like all Dream Demons. He is a nightmare of pursuit ("Chaser"), of being stalked and hunted by a faceless menace ("John Doe") for an unknown reason, across a cityscape that feels familiar but subtly shifts and changes so you never quite escape no matter how hard or long you run. It's also meaningful that he is one who hunts after the truth, as a "John Doe" is a pressing question of identity, a mystery needing an answer. He's compelled by his nature to embody his name in many possible ways.
- Noble Demon: He's surprisingly helpful when it counts.note
- Petting Zoo Person: He's apparently an anthropomorphic cat.
- Seeker Archetype: Refers to himself as an "ally of truth".
- Sharing a Body: With a cat.
- The Smart Guy: A key source of information to the group.
- Stealth Mentor: All those attacks on Yumeji were preparation for what was to come.
- Super Speed: He isn't called the "Chaser" just for pursuing the truth.
- Unusual Ears: The things poking out of his hood.
- White Mask of Doom: Always wears one. Justified, as it plays into his Meaningful Name.
Voiced by: Tomoko Akiya (JP), Luci Christian (EN)Yui is the vessel of the Dream Demon, Engi Threepiece, but unlike possessed persons that were seen thus far, her relationship with her Dream Demon is a sisterly one of mutual respect. Yumeji and Merry first meet Yui at the supermarket, and soon discover that there is more to her than meets the eye (unless it's Yumeji's eye). There are several jabs at her inability to cook, for which she has been labeled "Magical Chemical Cooking Yui" for her foods' severely distinctive and lethal tastes.
- Big Sister Instinct: To Engi, although which of them is literally older is unknown.
- The Chick: Because of her connection with Engi she ends up accompanying the group on most of their exploits, where she provides no combat support, but plenty of emotional support.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Cool Big Sis: Tries to be this to everyone, be they younger or older.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Was once called "Yougurt".
- Hair Decorations: Wears them on her sidetails.
- Lethal Chef: She is called "Chemical Magical Cooking Yui" for how bad she makes food.
- Living Emotional Crutch: To Engi, in the same way that Yumeji is one to Merry.
- Meet Cute: An unusually elaborate one: Merry crashes into her, she drops the doll she'd been thinking about buying, and Yumeji catches it for her.
- Nice Girl: She's very sweet and kind-hearted.
- Pinocchio Nose: She has a tell when she is lying; when she lies she touches her hair with her right hand.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Nao most strongly, though some with Engi. And taking Nao's apparent crushing on bit character Hino-senpai into account, maybe some Threesome Subtext for the yuri-minded.
- Ship Tease: With Engi, Nao and her Straight Option Yumeji.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Implied to be into the occult.
- Sharing a Body: Again, with Engi.
- Willing Channeler: She and Engi have this relationship, alternating control of Yui's body.
- You Remind Me of X: Reminds Engi of her sister Patty.
"Garden" Engi Threepiece
eventually, befriends Yumeji and the like.
- Action Girl: And how! She's one of the toughest fighters around.
- The Big Girl: Definitely a powerful fighter, although she's not as good as Merry.
- Cool Sword: Her Sannasubi.
- Cute Monster Girl: She is an angelic knight.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Triangular pupils.
- Hair Wings: Hair shaped as wings.
- Heroic Albino: She has pale skin and white hair.
- Hunter Of Her Own Kind: Unlike Merry, she has no way to send Dream Demons back to the dream world, and she has learned to kill Heracles' underlings in cold blood, although she tries to avoid this now that Merry is around.
- Improbable Hairstyle: Shaped like wings.
- It's Personal: Her vendetta against Heracles.
- Lady of War: Is very kind and polite to anyone she's not trying to kill.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Her killing of other Dream Demons in her vengeful crusade actually help Hercules' plan to damage the Gate. He even thanks her himself.
- Prehensile Hair: Not just shaped like wings, it can actually be used as wings!
- Revenge Before Reason: After the battle with the Achtelnote twins, she's pretty much hell-bent on killing Heracles even if it means her vessel's life and having to fight her friends. She gets better after Yui calls her out about it.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair is very long and shaped into a pair of wings.
- Sharing a Body: With Yui.
- Storm of Blades: Can replicate her sword multiple times to this effect.
- Sugar And Ice Girl: Displays shades of this.
- Sword Beam: One of her signature techniques.
A female Dream Demon whose role is to guide humans to their dream. She was abducted by Hercules and was forcefully implanted into Miyuki Akiyanagi. She was forced to serve Hercules to protect her vessel.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her outfit is cut to expose her torso.
- Compressed Hair: Her long hair is kept in her hat.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Her pupils are + shaped.
- Horned Hairdo: Her hair has this look.
- Meaningful Name: Sonar is meaningful for her ability to find and track other Dream Demons by her singing.
- Nice Hat: She wear a big poofy hat.
- Sensor Character: She can sing to find and track other Dream Demons. In her Daydream, she can analyze other Dream Demons.
- Stripperific: Because her outfit is cut to expose her torso, her breasts are only covered by a thin strip of cloth.
A junior high school boy in the 9th-grade who does good deeds. He is the vessel of "Hunter" Quartier Latin and goes around suppressing rouge Dream Demons.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Wears a black hoodie with bat wings.
- Exotic Eye Designs: When fused with Quartier Latin his pupils gain lightning bolts (⚡).
- Former Teen Rebel: Was once a delinquent but is trying to make up for it by doing one good deed a day.
- Fusion Dance/Henshin Hero: He can do this with Quartier Latin.
- Hereditary Hairstyle: He and his parents have wispy bangs.
- Improbable Hairstyle: Has a wispy bang that goes left.
- In the Hood: Often wears the hood of his jacket.
- Lonely Rich Kid: His parents are a director of a hospital and one of the doctors; they are barely around for him.
- Sharing a Body: With "Hunter" Quartier Latin.
- Ship Tease: With Anri.
- Socially-Awkward Hero: When around real girls.
"Hunter" Quartier Latin
A tiny Dream Demon. He's partnered with Ren Hinaki.
Rikka High School
Voiced by: Shinnosuke Tachibana (JP), Chris Patton (EN)Another member of the Writing Club, reflected in his odd habit of composing haiku at random moments, often with completely mundane subjects. As the only other male member of the club, he is shown to be good friends with Yumeji, and there seems to be a budding romance between him and Saki. He's also the unwitting vessel to the Big Bad "Pharos" Hercules.
- Beta Couple: With Saki, probably.
- Black Eyes of Evil: When Hercules is in control. Brrr.
- Camp Straight
- Expository Hairstyle Change: When "Pharos" Hercules takes over his body he flips his hair back Aizen-style. After that incident is resolved, Takateru flips his hair back while bragging and causes Saki to panic, thinking he's turned evil again.
- Expy: Only other guy in a club alongside the male protagonist, a very cool head, a slight but near-constant smile, bishonen facial features... does he remind anyone else of Itsuki Koizumi?
- Implausible Hair Color: He's blond, and there's no indication that he's But Not Too Foreign.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: It wouldn't be worth mentioning if it wasn't of comparable length to—perhaps even longer than—both Merry's and Saki's.
- Most Writers Are Writers: The most blatant example.
- Nice Guy: What he comes across as overall.
- Perpetual Smiler: Not as jarring as most examples.
- Though it turns into a Slasher Smile when Hercules takes control.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: The savvy guy to Saki's energetic girl.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Again, with Saki.
ability to see into dreams. She is quite confident and outgoing most of the time but notably becomes rather timid when she's alone with Takateru, who she is hinted to like.
- Beta Couple: With Takateru.
- Freaky Is Cool: Is quite interested in Yumeji's ability, and lets him check her dreams out for her.
- Genki Girl
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: Defied, she specifically has Takateru walk a few steps behind her to avoid situations like this. It still turns into a Ship Tease scene.
- Most Writers Are Writers
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Energetic girl to Takateru's savvy guy.
- Tsundere: Type B towards Takateru.
- Tomboy: Complete with short hair.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Takateru
- Gainaxing: A few points in the series has this happen.
- In the OP of the anime.
- During the bread-eating contest of the School Festival in chapter 64 of the manga.
Voiced by: Natsumi Takamori (JP), Emily Neves (EN)President of the Writing Club, and unwitting vessel to Chris Evergreen, one of the first Dream Demons that Yumeji and Merry encounter. Chris appears to her as a pen-pal who she only knows through text messaging. She dreams of becoming a novelist.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Delivers an awesome one to Chris, and proceeds to forgive him for what he did to her and encourage him to finish his novel.
- Blind Without 'Em: Claimed to be unable to clearly see Chris's face, but it's implied that she was only pretending.
- Club President: Of the Writing Club.
- Cool Big Sis: Is well-liked and respected by her juniors.
- Girlish Pigtails: Has them in braids.
- Hair Decorations: Wears a book shaped one.
- Interspecies Romance: Although not made explicit in the manga, her relationship with Chris bordered on this, and it's implied that she recognized his true form and accepted him regardless.
- Meganekko: She is a cute girl wearing glasses.
- Most Writers Are Writers: Her dream is to become a novelist. This actually becomes an important plot point: the fact that she kept that dream even after Chris was removed from her proves that Dream Demons can, in fact, be sent back to the Dream World rather than being killed.
- Nice Girl: Very nice and even forgives Chris.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Chris, particularly in the anime.
The principal of the school.
The school guidance counselor and coach of the gymnastics club. "Familiar" Legion tried to make him and 66 others at the school vessels for himselves using one of his minor selves.
The teacher of 2nd-year class 1, Yumeji's classroom.
One of Yumeji's friends and classmate. "Familiar" Legion tried to make him and 66 others at the school vessels for himselves using one of his minor selves.
One of Yumeji's classmates. "Familiar" Legion tried to make her and 66 others at the school vessels for himselves using one of his minor selves.
One of Yumeji's classmates. "Familiar" Legion tried to make her and 66 others at the school vessels for himselves using one of his minor selves. She wishes for many people to hear her perform.
One of Yumeji's classmates. "Familiar" Legion tried to make her and 66 others at the school vessels for himselves using one of his minor selves.
One of Yumeji's male classmates. "Familiar" Legion tried to make him and 66 others at the school vessels for himselves using one of his minor selves.
A student in class 4. He was a track and field runner. Kyou implanted a giant skull-headed Dream Demon in him and killed it to grant his wish.
A student who wanted to be a model. She one of the people whose wish was granted by Kyou.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Blonde in the anime.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: Often this with Yui.
- Curtains Match the Window: Yellow hair and eyes in the anime.
- Hair Decorations: Wears a hair band.
- Shipper on Deck: In her first appearance, after a misunderstanding when Yumeji accidentally saw Yui's panties, she excused herself in order to give them time to know each other.
The upperclassman of Yui and Nao. Her dream was to have the school's music department be #1. She had a Dream Demon but it was killed which killed her dream.
A young mangaka who is friends and classmates with Yui and Nao. Kyou implanted a scarecrow Dream Demon into her to kill later but Merry, Yumeji, Ren and Quartier saved her.
Voiced by: Serena Varghese (EN)A young girl Merry met. She was the human Ichima tried to be with.
- Compressed Hair: Her hat hides her long hair when she wants to.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: In her introduction chapter, she often trips when playing.
- The Ditz
- Friendless Background: At first from being too self-conscious and worried that other won't like her.
- Hime Cut: Her hair style.
- Nice Hat: Wears a cat-eared white hat with an anchor symbol.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The girly girl to Hina's tomboy.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: In the real world, she often trips on her own hakama or because of her okobo.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Her pupils resemble a jagged swirl.
- Heel–Face Turn: Her initial appearance has her as an antagonist but her second appearance has her protecting Minato (and incidentally Ken and Hina).
- Hime Cut
- Homoerotic Subtext: Hinted at when she drew near Minato with their lips nearly touching and what she said during the action.(taken out of context) "Won't you let me inside you? I want to become one with you."
- Kimono Is Traditional: Wears a kimono with a hakama.
- Nice Shoes: Wears okobo, though she often trips on them.
- Only Friend: She had wanted to be this with Minato, even forbidding her to make new friends.
- Tsundere: Her attitude after her second appearance.
- Yandere: In her initial appearance, she has this attitude toward Minato.
"Lovers" Chris Evergreen
A male Dream Demon that wanted to be with Mei Hoshino.
- Detachment Combat: Can attack with his fists this way.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His pupils look like a sideways H.
- Floating Limbs: His hands, lower legs, and crotch/waist are not connected with each other or his upper torso.
- Interspecies Romance: With Mei.
- Rocket Punch: When fighting.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Mei.
- Star-Spangled Spandex: The inside of his cape looks like a starry night sky.
"Garden" Patti Threepiece
Engi's older sister. She went to the human world but was killed by Heracles.
- Cool Sword: Her katana Sword Cane, "Nature's Violet Flash, Rokuzatou".
- Dead Little Sister: The dead older sister of Engi.
- Death by Origin Story
- Exotic Eye Designs: Her pupils resemble triangles.
- Hair Decorations: Has a fan on the back of her head.
- Posthumous Character: By the start of the series, she was already dead.
Voiced by: Hitoshi Yanai (JP)A young man who wants to travel abroad. He became "Maze" Landsbourough's vessel until Merry saved him.
A young girl who is friends with Minato. She was "Chain" Noir's vessel until Merry saved her.
Takateru's little sister. Unbeknownst to her, she is the vessel of "Sonar" Clione.
A Dream Demon whose vessel wanted to be a nurse. He was killed by Hercules.
A triceratops looking Dream Demon who was killed by Hercules' subordinate Ukokarkachu.
- Posthumous Character: We only see him in the flashback of the early days of Yui and Engi.
The vessel of "Dune" Cactus.
A male humanoid Dream Demon. He leads a small group against "Pharos" Hercules but were killed by him.
A fish like Dream Demon. She was summoned by Kyou and only fought for him as an obligation for letting her into "Reality".
- Ambiguously Brown: Her human form.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Her pupils in either form looks like the top part of the Libra sign.
- Flying Seafood Special: Her normal Dream Demon form.
- Hair Decorations: In her human form she wears a clam shell on the right side of her head and a ribbon to tie her ponytail.
- Idea Bulb: Her's is a anglerfish.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: Has long hair in her human form.
- Making a Splash: She has power over water.
- Meaningful Name: Regalecus is the oarfish.
- Morphic Resonance: Her scarf in human form has the same pattern of her fins in Dream Demon form.
- Partial Transformation: She can partly change between her true Dream Demon form and her human form.
- Shaping Your Attacks: She can make her water take different shapes.
- Token Good Teammate: The least evil of the Dream Demons summoned by Kyou.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has pink hair in her human form.
His human vessel is Takateru, a close friend of Yumeji's.
- An Axe to Grind: His weapon is a massive battle ax.
- Arm Cannon: He can turn his left arm into a lighthouse looking one.
- Big Bad: Apparently. Though not the only one.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Seems to be perpetually present.
- Disc-One Final Boss: He takes up most of the antagonist spot for most of the manga. However, he turned out to be a pawn to Greater-Scope Villain who was just loaning Hercules his power.
- Dark Messiah: Falls somewhere between this and The Antichrist.
- Evil Laugh: Is very fond of laughing maniacally.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His eyes resembles either a sun or a shining light.
- Frozen Face / Perpetual Smiler: A cartoonish black-on-white jagged-mouthed grin.
- Implacable Man: He can tank a lot.
- Jerkass / Kick the Dog: Yeah, not like it wasn't completely obvious from the start, but after he takes over Takateru completely, he rubs Yumeji's face in the fact that, by keeping his promise not to use his "dream vision" on Takateru, Yumeji essentially let Hercules completely take over his host. Then he taunts Engi about how weak her sister was, stating that his fight with her was boring to the extreme.
- Light Is Not Good: Frequently associated with light motifs.
- Meaningful Name: Pharos is the name of several historical lighthouses, including the great lighthouse of Alexandria. He's a dream of guidance, signaling others in their travels. But he's also a dream of flame (as lighthouses had to be lit by fire) and is a consuming destroyer who wishes to burn brighter. "Hercules" is the most obvious part of his name - he is a nearly godlike warrior, impossibly strong and dangerous to have as a foe. And also, as the original Hercules served others in his trials and only became a demigod, so is this Hercules not the true greatest power and instead turned out to be the Dragon rather than the true villain.
- Mega Manning: He can replicate powers of Dream Demons he defeated. He calls forth the item of the Dream Demon and creates a fiery copy that fights for him."Recollection of the flame: <insert power name>
- No-Sell: Ignores Engi's Storm of Blades attack like it was nothing.
- Visionary Villain: Although he's carefully avoided telling his underlings his true purpose, this guy has a clear idea of what he wants to achieve and how he'll go about it. Said goal is to alter the conscious world so that Dream Demons can exist without host bodies.
- With Us or Against Us: His general approach to recruiting.
- We Will Meet Again: His parting words to the main characters after they defeat him. Ironically he's killed by another antagonist upon returning to the dream world.
A boy who appeared before Isana and Yui. He later enrolled in Rikka High School in Yumeji's class. He is later revealed to be a Dream Demon who was behind Hercules and bringing Dream Demons to reality.
- The Ace: Is good at nearly everything.
- Blood Magic: Can summon Dream Demons by spilling his own blood.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Doesn't get why Sakagami was not happy when his dream came true when he (Kyou) made it so.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His pupils are vertical rectangles.
- A God Am I: Calls himself one.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: He has a scar on his right arm like what Yumeji had and Merry has.
- Greater-Scope Villain
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Has long hair when it is not tied up.
- New Transfer Student
- Cyclops: He only has one eye and when in control of his host closes one eye.
- Demonic Possession / Grand Theft Me: Unlike some of the more benevolent Dream Demons, he completely took over his host's body without permission. This eventually caused him trouble, since a host personality not given freedom once in awhile is liable to surface at exactly the wrong moments.
- Which another of Heracles' associates specifically warned him about.
- Dirty Coward: Once Merry and Engi get past his tricks, he's an easy target and most likely would've kicked his ass long ago. It's only because of his human host that they lay off from destroying him. Too bad for him, Merry found a way around this problem and locked the gate to their human hosts.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His pupils resemble the Tick-Tack-Toe symbol (#).
- For the Evulz: Enjoyed screwing with his host's everyday life and generally acting like an asshole.
- Genre Savvy: Attacks Yumeji while he's developing Lucid Gadget, and lampshades it by stating that only TV characters give their opponents the chance to prepare.
- Human Shield: Used his host – more specifically, his host's hopes and dreams – as a shield; having become the embodiment of his host's dreams, killing Landsborough would leave his host an empty shell.
- Merry's power allowed her to Take a Third Option against him.
- Meaningful Name: Uses his power to trap people in a maze.
- Monster Clown: Both himself and his mooks.
- Squishy Wizard: By his own admission. Still, claims to be tougher than ordinary humans, but Yumeji isn't an ordinary human.
A Dream Demon who faithfully serves Hercules, she operated through the body of a very young girl named Hina who is friends with Minato, the latter whom Yumeji and Merry had previously saved from another Dream Demon. She works alongside "Maze" Landsborough to take down Yumeji and Merry, but they both end up getting sent back to the Dream World. She is portrayed as sadistic and wears revealing clothing, for which she is usually remembered.
- Bastard Girlfriend: Sadistic streak, chain motif, stripperific.
- Demonic Possession: Unlike Maze, she seems to have it down to an art, and knows to give control back to the original owner once in awhile.
- Dominatrix: She invokes this image.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Her pupils resemble a chain link.
- Improbable Hairstyle: There are several streaks of a light color running down her dark hair. What colors they are exactly is hard to tell since she hasn't appeared in any color pages yet, but it definitely wouldn't be natural on a human. Not that there aren't human characters with oddly colored hair.
- Knight of Cerebus: Definitely one of the most serious threats the group has faced yet.
- Meaningful Name: Noir is heavily associated with darkness and the color black. Chain, well... she does use chains as attacks.
- Stripperific: She's very scantily clad.
- Variable-Length Chain: Not at all inhibited by the chains she wears, she's able to move freely and use them to her full advantage.
A Dream Demon who served Hercules. He was the first Dream Demon killed by Engi.
- Anatomy Arsenal/Blade Below the Shoulder: Both of his arms are blades.
- Bee Afraid: Has the appearance of a wasp or a hornet.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His pupils are a circle with a line on it (☌).
- Meaningful Name: He is named after an ancient toy that is similar to a kendama, his vessel had a kendama.
- Posthumous Character: We only see him during the flashback of the early days of Yui and Engi.
A Dream Demon that is multiple Dream Demons with one main self. He tried to take over the bodies of 67 humans in Rikka High School with Isana as the main body but were stopped by Merry with help from Yumeji, Mameyama, and Hiroshi.
"Sprite" Star Knocker
A cephalopod-ish/animalistic Dream Demon.
A humanoid bat like Dream Demon.
- Ambiguous Gender: Is it male or female in its normal Dream Demon form. Still somewhat hard in human form but is probably male.
- Blinding Bangs: In its Dream Demon form.
- Braids of Action: Have two braids.
- Dual Wielding: Often wields two bladed weapons.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Pupils look like a batnote .
- Flight: In its Dream Demon form.
- Knife Nut
- Morphic Resonance: Its human form keeps the braids of its dream demon form.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Sometimes an eye is seen when it is livid in Dream Demon form.
- Super Senses: Has great hearing like a bat.
- Villainous Rescue: Killed Hrimthurs when he decided to do a surprise attack on Merry and Yumeji after they were exhausted.
- Winged Humanoid: In its Dream Demon form.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings: Has bat wings.
A tree Dream Demon.
A mushroom Dream Demon that serves Kyou.
Other Dream DemonsDream Demons that have their own agenda.
Twin female Dream Demons, Aeolian and Ionian. They wanted Nao to be their shared vessel but were defeated by Merry and Engi.
- Coordinated Clothes: They wear the same outfit.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Their pupils resemble music staffs with a whole rest.
- Hand Puppet: Both twins each have one that holds an F-clef and use them to attack with music. Destroying them makes the twins unable to do anything.
- Identical Twin ID Tag: Aeolian's hair is more length down than Ionian's who is more rolled shorter. Aeolian also has her hand puppet in her left hand while Ionian wield her hand puppet with her right.
- Meaningful Name/Musical Theme Naming: Maestro is the Italian word for "master" or "teacher" used for calling a conductor. Achtelnote is German for 8th note. Aeolian refers to the Aeolian mode or the Aeolian harmony. Ionian refers to the Ionian mode or the Ionian School of Music.
- Musical Assassin: Both sisters can use music as attacks through their hand puppets.
- Single-Minded Twins
- Tag Team Twins
"Ice Wall" Hrimthurs
A yeti-like Dream Demon that crossed over. Tried to eat Minato, Hina, and Ken.
- Canon Foreigner: All characters in this section.
- Dark Action Girl
- Exotic Eye Designs: Her pupils look like a tree with three bare branches.
- Expy: Her power to put other Dream Demons into human hosts and kill them after is similar to Kyou's power and what he does. The main difference is that when Kyou does this, it is to forcibly make the host's dreams come true.
- For the Evulz: Why she does what she does.
Kagefumi Merry characters
Merry Nightmare Doppelganger/Wiles copy
A Dream Demon who calls herself Merry Nightmare. She made it her personal mission to stop Wiles even if it means that she dies as well. Her vessel is Yuuki Yanagoika.
- Clone by Conversion: She is actually an unknown Dream Demon who was converted into a Wiles copy who was then turned into a copy of the real Merry Nightmare when she touched the Gate.
- Does Not Like Spam: Unlike the real Merry, she doesn't like donuts.
- Doppelgänger: Looks identical to the real Merry Nightmare except mirrored and other details.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Her pupils look like vertical rectangles. When using her powers from being a Wiles, her pupils become that of Wiles.
- Facial Markings: Also have markings under her eyes. Yuuki gets them when she is in control of his body.
- Hunter Of Their Own Kind: Because she was a Wiles copy, hunting down the other Wiles copies and the original Wiles makes her kinda this.
- Identity Amnesia: She can't remember who she originally was before being converted into a Wiles.
- In the Hood: One of the differences between her and the real Merry is that she wears a hood instead of a hat.
- Nice Shoes: Wears laced shoes unlike the real Merry; it seems to be what she wore as her original self.
- One Woman Army: At least against the Wiles copies she can take on multiple them.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A with black socks with white stripes.
The male protagonist of the spin-off. A college student living in an apartment. He became Merry's vessel.
The daughter of Yuuki's landlady. She is a high school girl who has a crush on Yuuki and is friends with Aya.
Yuuki's friend and classmate in college. The older brother to Aya. He became the vessel of Wiles.
- Demonic Possession: Got possessed by Wiles (the main one).
A college teacher. He is the vessel of Isaac.
An owl looking Dream Demon. The first Dream Demon Merry met since coming to reality.
- Adaptation Personality Change: In his original appearance, he is at best neutral. The anime has him more monstrous. The Kagefumi Merry manga actually gave him a name has shown him more heroic.
- All-Encompassing Mantle: His wings act like this.
- Ascended Extra: Originally appeared as a nameless Dream Demon that Merry met in the main story.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His eyes look like a crescent moon.
- Feather Flechettes: Seems to use this as an attack.
- Ominous Owl/The Owl-Knowing One
A high school girl who is friends with Fuyumi. She is the vessel of Torcher.
A skeleton looking Dream Demon. The second Dream Demon Merry met.
- Ascended Extra: Originally appeared as a nameless Dream Demon that Merry met in the main story.
- Bad with the Bone: Can rearrange his bones into a large weapon. It hurts him when forming it, though.
- Dem Bones: Appears as a huge skeleton wearing some ragged cloth and boots.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His pupils are normally a pause symbol, though it can change also into a ! or a ? depending on his state of mind.
A humanoid Dream Demon. The third Dream Demon Merry met.
- Ascended Extra: Originally appeared as a nameless Dream Demon that Merry met in the main story.
- Blinding Bangs
- Body Double: Acted as Wiles' in their final confrontation with Merrynote .
- Guns Akimbo: Once fought wielding two rifles.
- Karma Houdini: Despite assisting Wiles, he is more or less unharmed and returned to the Dream World at the end of Kagefumi Merry.
"Great Actor" Wiles
A Dream Demon who wants to turn other Dream Demons into copies of himself and have them take over human hosts. His main vessel is the college student Takazuka, who is the friend and classmate of Yuuki and the older brother of Aya.
- The Assimilator: He wants to control and live through the humans that are controlled through his converted Dream Demon copies.
- Big Bad: Of Kagefumi Merry.
- Classy Cravat: Wears one in an ascot variation.
- Clone by Conversion/Twin Maker: He can turn a Dream Demon into a copy of himself.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His face resembles the hollow parts of a film reel; a circle surrounded by four quarter-circle curves.
- Expy: His plan to take multiple hosts is similar to "Familiar" Legion's except Wiles is more successful due to not encountering the real Merry and having his copies independently go after hosts.
- Having one of his copies control a bird is similar to how "Chaser" John Doe controls a cat.
- In the Hood: Wears a hooded outfit.
- Large Ham