open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In Azumanga Daioh, Osaka fantasizes that Chiyo-chan can use her pigtails like this.
- Rosine from Berserk has luna-moth-esque Hair Wings, which look particularly hair-like in her more humanoid form.
- Devilman, Silene/Siren is one of the oldest characters to have this. Hers in particular are full feathered wings.
- In Shamanic Princess, Tiara's Super Mode gives her red Hair Wings.
- The eponymous protagonist of Yadamon, pictured above, is a Cute Witch who can transform her hair into butterfly wings.
- Lucu Lucu features the demon Lucu Lucu who frequently flies via huge black wings made of her hair.
- Engi Threepiece's from Yumekui Merry are shaped like wings which she can glide with.
- Magi from Zettai Karen Children has Prehensile Hair which he can (also) shape into wings and use them for flying.
- There's a Shel Silverstein poem about a boy with ridiculously long hair who was mercilessly teased about it until his weeping caused it to flap like wings, carrying him into the air.
- Guilty Gear XX: Millia Rage's hair takes the form of angel wings, during one of her EX drives, where she lifts vertically off the ground and dives at the opponent.
- Lionwhyte of Brütal Legend flaps his hair in order to fly.
- Lolo, a caddy in Pangya has hair that juts out of the side of her head that look like wings ... or maybe they're actual wings. Either way if the wind is blowing about 6m or higher she'll sometimes comment 'I'm glad I have wings'.
- The Siren summon from Final Fantasy VIII has huge, golden wings... sitting on top of her head. Even her eyebrows appear to be feathers, though it all does sort of blend in with actual hair (which is the exact same color as the feathers)
- The Celestials in Ōkami have hair wings (or stiff, winglike hair) which enable them to fly. Waka the prophet has winglike extensions on his Nice Hat which have the same visual effect.
- This is often used for the explanation for why Knuckles the Echidna from Sonic the Hedgehog can glide on air currents. By assuming a skydiving stance, his dreadlock-like spines fan out like mini-wings, enabling flight for limited distances.
- Hair Wings are the defining trait of the the High Entia race from Xenoblade. They can range from being very long (reaching half way down their legs) or comparatively short (Barely below the neck). There's a good reason for this, as small-winged High Entia are actually half-Homs.
- In El Goonish Shive, the Mysterious Cloaked Figure (Noah) makes hair wings (called by name in the commentary) that are actually hair.
- In Dan and Mab's Furry Adventures , 'cubi have miniature "headwings" (as well as a regular pair) in their default form. Dan discovered he was one by having them grow in. Instantaneously.
"Miss, you have a bat in your hair!"
- Though not technically wings, Ariel of Drowtales has learned how to use her inherent shapeshifting powers to do something similar with her hair, which she mostly uses to glide and slow her decent, as well as using her air sorcery to guide her direction and keep her aloft.