Flight... through your hair! No doubt Everything's Better with Spinning. See Heli Critter for animal examples. See also Hair Wings for less spinning, more flapping variation. Sub-Trope to Instant Flight, Just Add Spinning, Mercury's Wings is a sister trope. Compare Hat of Flight and Prehensile Hair.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In the Hentai manga Petit Roid 3, Kirara is a Robot Girl with Prehensile Hair that she can put to many uses, including creating a pair of rotors to fly.
- Buffalo from One Piece has hair in the shape of a propeller which he can rapidly rotate, thanks to him eating the Spin-Spin Fruit, and fly through the air. He has propellers on his feet too to keep him stable.
Films — Live-Action
- Spy Kids: Gerti Giggles' pigtails can spin in circles, giving her this ability.
- Donkey Kong Country:
- Dixie Kong uses her hair to slow her descent in Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest and Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!.
- Donkey Kong 64 sees Dixie's sister Tiny Kong use a nearly identical move.
- Aside from slowing her descent as before, Dixie Kong uses her spinning ponytail in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze to help Donkey Kong himself stay in the air longer. In contrast to Diddy's rocket barrels, which give Donkey more horizontal distance, Dixie's hair lets them shoot up at a diagonal angle.
- Rayman: One of the title hero's trademark abilities is to spin his hair like helicopter blades, giving him limited gliding ability (and in some games, genuine flight).
- Earthworm Jim: Jim uses his head instead of hair, but it serves the same purpose.
- In The Adventures of Lomax, the plume of Lomax's helmet can work like this if you have the proper ability.
- Ed, Edd n Eddy, "Ed, Ed, and Away": Ed manages to make Eddy's hair spin fast enough for him to fly when they try to catch a balloon. He does this by pulling Eddy's wallet chain like the starter cord of a lawnmower. Which leads to a hilarious reaction from Edd.
Eddy: This better not mess up my hair, Ed!Edd: (with a look of disbelief on his face) Remind me to ask you how you did that, Ed.
- The Fairly Oddparents: As the result of a wish gone wrong, Timmy ended up with a hair tornado.
- Ellie in the Nicktoons' Zevo-3.
- The Secret Show: Doctor Doctor's hair actually has been shown to have a propeller in it on more than one occasion.