Characters: Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance
open/close all folders
Areshia Spirit Academy
Team ScarletOne of the three teams representing Ordesia Empire
Voiced by: Makoto FurukawaThe Hero of our story. Three years ago he won the Blade Dance as Ren Ashbell. Now, having lost his contracted spirit, he is lured to Areshia Spirit Academy by Greyworth to compete in the Dance once more.
- The Antichrist: As the reincarnation of the Demon King, he is potentially this.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Oh ye gods.
- Bad Ass
- Battle Harem: He has one, though surprisingly not everyone in his harem is in it.
- The Berserker: When he starts to accept the power of the Demon King sleeping within him, he becomes this.
- Butt Monkey: Gets blamed for pretty much everything, with nearly every girl in the world believing that he's a complete pervert.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Jio exploits this by gunning for his teammates, which usually leads to Kamito tanking powerful attacks in order to protect them.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: To an extent. He flirts with girls and teases them for fun, but it doesn't occur to him that they could end up having serious feelings for him. Justified as the two women he had interactions with before were Restia and Greyworth. It's basically the only way he knows to interact with them.
- Conspicuous Gloves: He always wears gloves on his left hand in order to hide the spirit seal of Restia. This is because any Elementalist whom sees it would immediately realize that he's Ren Ashbell.
- Cool Sword: He has two of them. Both of which turn into beautiful girls.
- Diagonal Cut: Violet Flash, a single strike so fast most opponents can't see it. Also the attack Greyworth beat him down with on their first meeting.
- Dead Pan Snarker: Any time he isn't teasing someone.
- Drama-Preserving Handicap: He's often weakened or wounded in some way so he doesn't immediately curb stomp most of his opponents.
- Dual Wielding: His original style.
- Gloriously brought back when he wields both Est and Restia.
- Embarrassing Nickname: The Demon King of the Night, much to his dismay.
- Enemy Mine: In the 13th Volume, fought along side Luminaris Saint Leisched.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: Shadow Moon Waltz, an anti-army technique.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Unfortunately for him, he is subject to being called a pervert. It even spread to other countries.
- Hero-Worshipper: Much to his dismay, nearly every Elementalist of his generation views his Ren Ashbell persona as such, with the tales and exaggerations reaching the point of Folk Hero/Purity Sue levels. This is one of his reasons for not revealing his secret, even to his friends, so he wouldn't break their dreams.
- Lightning Bruiser: Back during his days as Ren Ashbell. Just about the only opponents that could give him a hard time were Elementalists with Holy Elemental spirits, as Restia, being of Darkness Element, is at a serious disadvantage against.
- Master Swordsman: Was one back in the day as Ren Ashbell.
- Regains his former power over the course of the series, and surpasses it when he dual wields Restia and Est
- Only Sane Man: Is often completely dumbfounded by the antics of his friends.
- Red Baron: Was known as the Strongest Blade Dancer during his days as Ren Ashbell.
- Sealed Inside a Person-Shaped Can: Before her defeat, Ren Ashdoll sealed her power within humanity itself and would manifest onto individuals throughout history. All have either gone crazy or were destroyed by her power. All, except for Kamito.
- Spam Attack: Bursting Blossom Spiral Blade Dance, his finishing move. The number of hits in the attack varies.
- This technique was designed to kill Archdemon-Class Spirits. Even nerfed as he is, few people take it and survive.
- Supernatural Martial Arts: The Absolute Blade Arts techniques he learned from Greyworth.
- The Tease: Is not above teasing the girls, especially due to their lack of knowledge around men.
- Tranquil Fury: when he is truly pushed past his breaking point.
- Unwanted Harem: Oy vey. Claire, Fianna, Est, Ellis, Rinslet, Muir, Restia, and Leonora. And these are only the primary characters.
- Willfully Weak: Despite being weakened due to his three years of inactivity as an Elementalist, he still holds back against his opponents. Justified because his true fighting style involves techniques only Ren Ashbell and Greyworth knew, so using it would reveal that he is Ren Ashbell.
- Eventually he starts using them anyway, and tries to pass it off as having studied under the same master as Ren Ashbell. It works... for a while.
Claire Rouge/Claire Elstein
Voiced by: Ibuki KidoA young girl Kamito meets on his way to the Areshia Spirit Academy. After seeing Kamito form a contract, she declares him her slave spirit and forces him to form a team with her. She is actually the younger sister of the Calamity Queen, Rubia Elstein, a fact which has caused her to be ostracized from nearly everyone.Her wish is to meet her sister and discover why she betrayed the Elemental Lords and her country.
- A-Cup Angst: Oh boy, is she ever.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Tried massaging her chest to make it grow. Kamito walks in and immediately closes the door and walks away.
- Action Girl: While she isn't on Kamito's level, she is an extremely skilled combatant in her own right.
- Broken Bird: Kamito learns that the reputation of her sister also rubbed off on her as a result of her betrayal. Because of that, she lost everything, and is extremely protective of anyone trying to take him away from her, fearing she'd lose him as well. Fortunately Kamito realizes this, and tries not to do anything too rash that would cause her to feel he'd abandon her.
- Broken Pedestal: Her sister's betrayal of the Flame Elemental Lord and the resulting consequences to her parents completely shattered her world and changed the shy, timid girl into the current Fiery Redhead.
- Rebuilt Pedestal: After learning the truth from her sister.
- Catch Phrase: Turn into charcoal! (Turn to ash)!
- Childhood Friends: To Rinslet. The feeling is mutual, not that either would ever admit it though.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Does not like seeing Kamito around other girls, whether it's Rinslet, Ellis, or even his contracted spirit Est.
- Covert Pervert: Actually reads and enjoys rather risque novels.
- Expressive Hair: Her hair tends to flail around when she's angry. This is because Elementalists can take on attributes of their contracted spirit.
- Fiery Redhead: So very much
- Freudian Excuse: The reason she acts like a little brat is because she lost everything after her sisters betrayal, and was nearly universally scorned for her relation to Rubia. This happened when she was ten years old.
- Lethal Chef: The food she cooks resembles charcoals.
- Loners Are Freaks: She feels she has no one to rely on, mostly because of her relation to her sister who earned a very bad reputation amongst people after her betrayal and disappearance. Despite that, Kamito sees that there are people who still care about her, such as Rinslet, though they're both too proud to ever admit it.
- Playing with Fire: Her primary element.
- Shana Clone: Fills most of the requirements of this role and like the prime example she does eventually grow out of it.
- The Rival: To Rinslet.
- Schmuck Bait: Rinslet tells her that if the boy she likes rubs her breasts, they'll grow bigger. Claire has an Imagine Spot of that happening. Fianna later tells her it's not true.
- The Strategist: Surprisingly for her character type, she is the leader of Team Scarlet in more than name, and repeatedly gives out effective winning strategies.
- Tsundere: She's nearly as bad as Louise at first, though she warms up significantly.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Before Rubia's betrayal happened, she was an adorable little Moe Blob.
- Vitriolic Best Friends: With Rinslet, though she won't admit it.
- Whip It Good: Her Elemental Waffe.
- She uses a normal one to direct Scarlet in battle. And to hit Kamito.
Voiced by: Ai KakumaA Steel Elemental Spirit that takes the form of a young girl. She was sealed within a sword and is the most powerful Steel Elemental Spirit in the world.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Especially against other swords, as Est is a Steel Sword Spirit of the highest class, most opposing swords are destroyed by her on contact.
- Anti-Magic: Est has the ability to completely negate and repel magic. Everything she negates is actually absorbed into herself, and once it reaches a certain point, will be transferred to her master, killing them.
- BFS: Can turn into this.
- Big Eater: Loves to eat, especially sweets. Once, she ordered and consumed all the sweets on a restaurant menu. As a spirit, she doesn't actually need to consume human foods. Her desire to eat was due to the influence of her previous master, Areshia.
- Brought Down to Badass: Due to her incomplete contract, she can't even bring out 1/10th of her true power. Just note that even in her current state, she's still fully capable of one-shotting most spirits and can completely negate all but the most powerful spells.
- It's been stated that at her full power, even the Elemental Lords were terrified of her.
- Cast from Hit Points: Her powers gradually becomes this for her master.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Acts like this around Restia, since Kamito is her master. She also gets upset when he kisses Claire to form a contract, and says she's within her rights to kiss him as well.
- Cry Cute
- Dark and Troubled Past: Est unknowingly killed Areshia Idriss, her previous master, when she absorbed all of Est's stored curses throughout the years.
- The Dreaded: Restia mentions that even she would not dare make fun of Est if she was her original Sacred Sword self. Even the Elemental Lords are terrified of her.
- Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors: As a Steel Elemental Spirit, she naturally have a harder time against Shield Elemental Spirits. "A harder time" as in it takes a little more effort for her to cut through them.
- Emotionless Girl: How she normally acts.
- Establishing Character Moment: When she first shows up in human form, Kamito sees her completely naked except for some thigh-high stockings. Later Rinslet has Fenrir attack him out of jealousy, only for Est to then put the wolf in its place. She also ends up bending Ellis's sword after she assumes he's being a playboy with a new girl.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: When he wakes up in the morning, Kamito almost always discovers Est sleeping next to him almost completely naked (almost, in that she's wearing thigh-high knee socks). Justified because she's actually a spirit and her attitude towards Kamito is not much different than say, Scarlet treating Claire.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Due to her incomplete contract with Kamito, her memories are fragmented and she can't recall much of her past.
- Legendary Weapon: Est is potentially The Sacred Sword of Severian, the legendary sword that Areishia Idriss once used to defeat the Demon King. However, Kamito notes that there are rumors of the Sacred Sword's possible location from all over the world. She really is the Sacred Sword.
- Light Is Not Good: Est certainly is good, the way her powers work on the other hand...
- Morph Weapon: Can freely change shape into any type of sword in order to suit her master's needs.
- Red Baron: Known as the Demon Slayer.
- Serious Business: In her human form, she has no issues being completely naked other than wearing some thigh-high stockings. But if she suspects Kamito wants her to take those off, she acts as if he were asking a normal girl to strip off her underwear. He does lampshade the silliness of that logic.
- Split Personality: As a result of her incomplete contract with Kamito, Est was split into two personalities. The current Est, with limited recollection of her past, and Sacred Sword Est, her past self.
- Undying Loyalty: To Kamito. Her original had this to Areshia as well. As they have become separate entities, Est's loyalty is now totally with Kamito. To drive this home, she declared that if Kamito became the Demon King, then she would be the Demon King's Sword rather than betray him.
- Unholy Holy Sword: She's actually a Demon Sword. All the resentment/curses from the spirits slain by Est are absorbed by her and will eventually pass it onto her master. In the past, she unknowingly killed her previous master, Areishia Idriss and as a result, sealed herself in seclusion in order to never harm anyone ever again. Despite this, Kamito accepted Est, and upon victory in the Blade Dance, plans on using his wish to truly turn Est into a Sacred Sword.
- White Haired Pretty Girl: Down to her knee-high socks.
Scarlet/Scarlet Valkyrie, OrtlindeClaire's hellcat contract spirit. She is a spirit passed down the Elstein family.
- Cat Girl: Her true form.
- Cute Kitten
- Playing with Fire: She is a flame spirit.
- Sinister Scythe: She wields one in her true form.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Is temporarily given a chaotic enhancement, which spreads to the other spirits.
- Valkyries: Her true name is from a Valkyrie from The Ring of the Nibelung.
Voiced by: Kana YukiThe eldest of the Laurenfrost family.
- An Ice Person: Specializes in ice magic.
- The Archer: Her Elemental Waffe is an ice bow and arrow.
- Childhood Friends: To Claire. The feeling is mutual, not that either would ever admit it though.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Doesn't take it well when she first meets a naked Est in the same bed as Kamito, especially as the latter was clinging onto him. She even goes so far as to have Fenrir attack him, though Est quickly puts the wolf in its place.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold
- Mama Bear: Her reaction to Claire being bullied is to pull out her bow and point it at the bully's face.
- Meido: Hilariously, to her own personal maid.
- Ojou: The most high class of the Academy of high class ladies.
- The Rival: To Claire.
- Spoiled Sweet:
- Supreme Chef: Is really good at cooking.
- Taken Up to Eleven when her cooking is enough to summon an Elemental Lord.
- Tsundere: Type B to Claire's Type A.
- Vitriolic Best Friends: With Claire, though she won't admit it. As a result, Kamito does comment that Claire, despite what she thinks, does have people who do look out for her.
FenrirAn ice wolf spirit. He is Rinslet's contract spirit.
- An Ice Person: An ice spirit.
- Big Friendly Dog: Doesn't mind Claire using him as a pillow.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: Named for Fenrir of Norse Mythology.
- Stomach of Holding: Can store items in his stomach.
Voiced by: Shizuka IshigamiA student at the Areshia Spirit Academy and the current leader of the academy's Sylphid Knights. A serious girl whom is charged with maintaining order and discipline to the students, as well as protecting the citizens from hostile spirits.
- Boobs of Steel: The strongest of the main (human) female cast in physical combat. Also coincidentally, by far the biggest bust.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Doesn't take it too well when she first runs into Kamito walking around with Est. She even points her sword at him, prompting Est to bend it as if it were paper.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She started out as an antagonist. She's now the team member who tag teams with Kamito the most.
- Flight: Can fly due to her control over wind.
- Lady of War
- Razor Wind: Her spear elemental waffe is capable of doing this, as even if you were to evade her attacks, you can still be cut by her wind.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: Has her hair up like this.
- The Worf Effect: Despite being noted as a strong and skilled knight, she is often either defeated or has a hard time against her opponents in order to show off the strength of their opponents.
SimorghEllis's contract spirit.
- Blade on a Stick: Transforms into a spear as an elemental waffe.
- Blow You Away: A wind spirit.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: Named for the Simurgh of Persian Mythology.
Fianna Ray Ordesia
Voiced by: Saori OnishiThe Ordesia Empire's second princess.
- Big Breast Pride: She's quite proud of her large bust, and enjoys teasing Claire about it. Subverted later when it turns out she was using pads, partly to hide her bloodstone, but partly because she heard men like big breasts. Kamito tells her some men like smaller ones too, which gives both her and Claire some hope.
- Embarrassing Nickname: The Lost Queen is one to her.
- Faux Action Girl: She isn't of much use in combat because of her lack of training, along with losing her contracted spirit years earlier after a fight with Claire's sister.
- Forgotten First Meeting: She and Kamito actually met three years ago, but he doesn't remember until she pulls her hair back into the same style from that time.
- The Gad Fly: She really loves to tease Kamito in front of Claire to provoke the latter into getting mad at him.
- Lethal Chef: Her cooking is terrible, but she normally adds sleeping medicine so her unfortunate victim never really notices.
- The Load: Secretly resents the fact that she is this to her team. As a result, she's trying to secretly force summon Georgios' elemental waffe.
- My Greatest Failure: Being unable to defeat Claire's sister.
- New Transfer Student: She immediately transfers to the Areshia Spirit Academy the moment she learns that a "newly" discovered male Elementalist is attending, knowing it must be Kamito.
- Rescue Romance: Falls in love with Kamito when he rescued her in the forest several years earlier.
- Royal Rapier: Her elemental waffe, but it is not used for direct combat.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Though she claims she's no longer royalty and has been officially erased from their history books, she is still treated as one by Kamito and Claire, especially when they stop Jio from breaking Jorgumand's seal.
- Secret Keeper: She's one of the few people whom knows that Kamito is actually Ren Ashbell. Doesn't stop her from mercilessly teasing him about it though.
- She Is All Grown Up: Why Kamito failed to recognize her.
- Squishy Wizard: Has no actual direct combat training. She gets tired after just running for a short time and relies completely on Georgios and her friends to protect her.
- Traumatic Superpower Awakening: She tells Claire and Kamito that she lost her contracted spirit a few years back, and was hoping to win the latest Blade Dance in order to regain it. However, that proves unnecessary after her strong desire to protect Kamito from Jio Inzagi's attack recovers the spirit and allows them to defeat Jio.
- The Tease: To Kamito. Especially to Kamito.
GeorgiosFianna's holy knight contract spirit.
- The Dragonslayer: He is a knight spirit and specializes in fighting dragons. At least one-on-one.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Takes the form of a knight.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: Name for Saint George.
- Stone Wall: Georgios has a strong defense and it takes a lot to take him down.
- Treasure Chest Cavity: He can hold items in his chest.
Sylphid KnightsAreishia Spirit Academy's knights who are made up of students. They act like a public morals committee.
RakkaA member of the Sylphid Knights and friends with Ellis and Reisha.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Her contract spirit, Cabracan.
- Drop the Hammer: Her elemental waffe, Rock Breaker.
- Those Two Girls: With Reishia.
ReishiaA member of the Sylphid Knights and friends with Ellis and Rakka.
- Braids of Action: Has them befitting a Knight.
- Cool Sword: Her elemental waffe is an ice sword.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: Has long hair in braids.
- Those Two Girls: With Rakka.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has tea colored hair.
Velsaria Eva FahrengartEllis's older-step-sister and former leader of the Sylphid Knights.
- Brought Down to Normal: After Kamito defeats her for the second time and removes the Cursed Armament Seal from her body, she ended up losing all her abilities as an Elementalist. It may be years before her power returned, if it ever will.
- Disc One Final Boss: She serves as one at the end of the anime.
- Happily Adopted: She was adopted into the Fahrengart family and Ellis treats her like she is her real older sister.
- Powered Armor: What her elemental waffe, Silent Fortress, originally took form as three years ago.
- Power at a Price: In order to gain more power and face Ren Ashbell again, she ended up using a Cursed Armament Seal. While it did end up greatly increasing her power, it also rapidly destroyed her body and altered her personality.
- Put on a Bus: After her defeat in Volume 3, she was sent to Balsas Prison.
- The Bus Came Back: She reappears 10 volumes later in Volume 13, being imprisoned next to Jio Inzagi and Vivian Melosa.
- Secret Keeper: She realized that Kamito is really Ren Ashbell after being defeated by her/him the second time.
- Shoulder Cannons: The original weapons of her elemental waffe.
- Single-Stroke Battle: How she lost against Ren Ashbellnote three years ago.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Her anger towards Ren Ashbellnote wasn't so much losing to her, but rather because she didn't even so much as acknowledged her as her opponent.
- Took A Level In Jerk Ass: Became this after losing to Ren Ashbellnote . The reason was due to the Cursed Armament Seal that she used on her body.
Greyworth Ciel Mais
Voiced by: Mai NakaharaThe principal of Areshia Spirit Academy. Former winner of a Blade Dance and former #1 of the Numbers. Taught Kamito her Absolute Blade Arts.
- Brought Down to Normal: Losses her abilities as an Elementalist after teaching Kamito Absolute Blade Arts-Final Form, Last Strike.
- Cool Sword: Her elemental waffe, Storm Bringer.
- Red Baron: Known as Dusk Witch.
- Retired Badass: A former member of the Numbers.
- Smart People Wear Glasses
- Supernatural Martial Arts: The Absolute Blade Arts. She was the one who taught Kamito.
Freya GrandolThe teacher in-charge of Raven Class.
- Casting a Shadow: Her contract spirit allows her to travel through shadows.
- Motherly Side Plait: Her hair style in the anime.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Being a teacher, she is smart.
Adamantine Elementalist & Demon Mirror ElementalistTwo senior students who are antagonistic to Claire. They were former members of the Sylphid Knights.
- Full Boar Action: The Demon Mirror spirit became a boar with a shell when it's Elementalist was affected by the Cursed Armament Seal.
- Averted in the anime where it just becomes a more demonic looking version of itself.
- Hidden Depths: It is learned in the 3rd Volume that they were former members of the Sylphid Knights who were expelled by Ellis for their unknightly conduct.
- The Marvelous Deer: The Adamantine spirit became this when it's Elementalist was affected by the Cursed Armament Seal.
- Averted in the anime where it just becomes a more demonic looking version of itself.
- No Name Given: Both are only identified by their contract spirits.
- Jerkasses: Often to Claire.
- Those Two Girls
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: The anime gives the Adamantine Elementalist long lavender hair and the the Demon Mirror Elementalist short lime hair.
NumbersThe Twelve Knight Generals of the Ordesia Empire.
Lurie Lizaldia / YggdraThe empire's highest ranking healer. She is the current #8 of the Numbers.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She at first seem nice and kind, but in reality is a traitor.
- Blood Magic: Her contract spirit's elemental waffe, Mournblade, can take in it's user's blood to strengthen itself.
- Cool Sword: The elemental waffe of one of her contract spirits, Mournblade.
- The Medic: Is the highest ranked healer.
- Red Baron: Known as, Lurie the Miraculous.
Virrey BranfordAn Artificer, she is the current #9 of the Numbers and part of Umbra.
- The Gunslinger: Uses guns to fire spirit crystals.
- Boyish Short Hair: Has short hair and often disguised as a boy on missions since normally there are no male Elementalists.
Dunei LampertAn Elementalist who contracted with an earth spirit. She is the current #4 of the Numbers.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Has a contract with an earth spirit.
Ordesia Royal Family
Fianna Ray Ordesia
Arneus Ray OrdesiaThe Ordesia Empire's first prince.
Linnea Ray OrdesiaThe Ordesia Empire's first princess.
Elstein Duke Family
Rubia ElsteinThe eldest daughter of the family.
Mirelle LaurenfrostThe youngest daughter of the family.
Judia LaurenfrostThe second daughter of the family. She was frozen in ice by the Water Elemental Lord.
- Demonic Possession: Got infected with Otherworldly Darkness and the reason Iseria Seaward froze her.
CarolRinslet's personal maid.
Knights of the Dragon Emperor
Leonora LancasterAn Elementalist of Dracunia, and leader of the Knights of the Dragon Emperor.
- The Berserker: When her Dragon's Blood activates, she starts losing control and thirsts for battle.
- BFS: Her elemental waffe, Dragon Slayer, is as big as she is.
- Going Commando: Princess Maidens whom serve the dragons don't wear underwear.
- Lady of War: Oh boy, is she ever.
- Nice Hat: Is almost always wearing a beret.
- Red Baron: The Dragon Princess.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: When her Dragon's Blood activates.
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: Ironically, aside from Fianna, despite knowing Kamito the shortest among all the girls, she figures it out before the rest of the girls.
- Worthy Opponent: Sees Kamito as one. She even ignored a chance to face against "Ren Ashbell" because she viewed Kamito as a more worthwhile fight.
Yuri El CidThe second in command of the Knights of the Dragon Empire.
- Anime Chinese Girls: All members are from the in-universe equivalent to China.
- The Four Gods: All members have contract spirits based on the Four Gods, with Linfa having the Kirin.
Linfa Sin QuinaThe third princess of Quina Empire and the commander of the Four Gods.
- Older Than They Look: Is the same age as her companions (16) but looks like a child.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something
Shao FuFour Gods' Ace.
- The Ace: The best fighter of the Four Gods.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Fights hand-to-hand.
- Panthera Awesome: Her contract spirit, White Tiger.
- Power Fist: Her elemental waffe, Divine Tiger Fangs.
Rao RinHakua's older sister.
- Cool Sword: Her elemental waffe.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons: Her contract spirit, Azure Dragon.
- Making a Splash
HakuaRoa Rin's younger sister.
- Dishing Out Dirt
- Luckily My Shield Will Protect Me: Her elemental waffe.
- Turtle Power: Her contract spirit, Black Tortoise.
Rion SharmaFour God's scout.
Holy Kingdom of Lugia
Sacred Spirit Knights
Luminaris Saint LeischedLeader of the Sacred Spirit Knights. During the previous Blade Dance, she made it to the final round only to be defeated by Ren Ashbell/Kamito and is often regarded by him as his strongest opponent.
- Enemy Mine: In the 13th Volume, she fought along side Kamito still unaware that he was the Ren Ashbell that defeated her.
- Knight Templar: She will follow the orders of her nation without question. During the Blade Dance, she was ordered to kill Restia and attempted to do so, despite not knowing the reason and that doing so would go against the rules of the Blade Dance.
- Red Baron: The Paladin.
- Red Herring: Kamito would mention in nearly every volume that during the previous Blade Dance, she was by far his toughest opponent and that he's not eager to have to face her again. Even an encounter with another team from the Sacred Spirit Knights taunted him about facing her. Despite all this foreshadowing, not only do they not fight during the entire Blade Dance, they never even encountered one another until the closing ceremony. Lampshaded before Scarlet defeats her, as she expresses her dismay that she cannot be defeated here and she still needs to resume her duel with Ren Ashbell and win the Blade Dance.
- The Unfought: To Kamito in the current Blade Dance. Despite nearly every volume giving mention to her and everything foreshadowing their upcoming battle.
- The Worf Effect: After being mentioned as Kamito's strongest opponent, spending most of a volume defeating Restia and hunting down/curb stomping Claire, she was almost immediately defeated to show off the power of the awakened Scarlet.
- This Cannot Be!: Before being defeated by the awakened Scarlet, she expresses her dismay that she cannot be defeated now, since she still needs to resume her duel with Ren Ashbell and win the Blade Dance.
Fire Elemental Lord «Volcanicus»The lord of fire spirits. Often depicted as a warrior wielding a blazing sword.
Wind Elemental Lord «Belphal»The lord of wind spirits. Often depicted as a boy with kind eyes.
Earth Elemental Lord «Lode Gear»The lord of earth spirits. Often depicted as an iron mallet-wielding giant.
Water Elemental Lord «Iseria Seaward»The lord of water spirits. Often depicted as a woman hugging a water jug to her chest.
- Hair Antennae: Has them.
- The Smurfette Principle: Is the only female Elemental Lord ever since Ren Ashdoll was erased.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has blue hair.
Holy Elemental Lord «Alexandros»The lord of holy light spirits. Often depicted as an aged man with a scale and bishop's staff.
Darkness Elemental Lord «Ren Ashdoll»The lord of darkness spirits. Had her presence erased after losing the Spirit War ages ago.
Voiced by: Yōko HikasaA demon sword, she is the most powerful Darkness Elemental Spirit in the world and takes the form of a girl. She was Kamito's previous contracted spirit, but she disappeared three years ago for reasons unknown. Discovering her whereabouts is Kamito's main goal. She is actually the embodiment of the will of Ren Ashdoll, the Darkness Elemental Lord. Her goal is to ensure the awakening of the current vessel of Ren Ashdoll's power. ie: Kamito.
- Anti-Magic: Her black dress actually possesses powerful anti-magic properties, but is completely powerless against Holy Elemental attacks.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Acts like this around Est.
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Dark Magical Girl: She is among the most powerful of the Darkness Elemental Spirits and can use the highest levels of darkness magic.
- Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors: As a darkness spirit, she is naturally weak against Holy Elemental attacks.
- Grand Theft Me: She will eventually be taken over by Ren Ashdoll, along with the mysterious corruption that infects her.
- Morph Weapon: Can fully change her shape into any type of sword in order to suit whatever her master needs.
- Red Baron: Known as the Vorpal Sword.
- Shock and Awe: Vorpal Blast, which is considered Ren Ashbell's signature move.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: She wants to get Kamito back to his prime and accomplishes this by teaming up with or manipulating his immediate antagonists. However, she drops this role when Rubia and Laevateinn prove to be unbeatable without her and Est's combined power.
- There's No Kill Like Overkill: Uses Hell Blast, the most powerful Darkness Elemental spell, for everyone including Elementalists, demons, and degenerated spirit ghosts.Kamito: Completely merciless...
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Everything shes done was to prevent Kamito from becoming the next Demon King.
"Ren Ashbell" Rubia ElsteinAn Elementalist using Kamito's Ren Ashbell identity and is participating in the next Blade Dance. One of Kamito's objectives in the next Blade Dance is to figure out what she's up to. She is eventually revealed to be Rubia Elstein, the Calamity Queen and Claire's older sister. She joined the Blade Dance in order to awaken Kamito as the Demon King.
- Broken Pedestal: She started losing faith in the Elemental Lords after the destruction of Dylus along with countless incidents. Her faith was on the verge of shattering completely after the Flame Elemental Lord demanded Claire's sacrifice, and was completely lost after witnessing the corruption on the Flame Elemental Lord's throne.
- Brought Down to Badass: After her contract with Laevateinn was severed, she lost all her ability as an Elementalist but still retained her Elstein Flames. Claire sealing the Demon King within Kamito also greatly reduced her power.
- Catch Phrase: Do you want to be turned into charcoal?
- Fiery Red Head: Her true hair color.
- Lady of War: As the result of being the Sacred Maiden, she is automatically granted the full combat skills needed to battle the Demon King.
- Red Baron: The Calamity Queen.
- Reincarnation: She is the reincarnation of the Sacred Maiden, a power bestowed by the Five Great Elemental Lords in response to the Demon King's awakening.
- Rescue Romance: She falls for Kamito after he saved her from Laevateinn, though she didn't realize what she felt meant.
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: She gave up everything and was willing to lose both Claire and her own life in order to revive the Demon King. She succeeded, and then it's abruptly undone essentially because Claire refuses to cooperate. Then she throws everything she has at Kamito in a last-ditch effort to re-awaken him, and he kicks her ass without the Demon King's power. Jerk Ass she may be, but everything she had fought for was unraveled in front of her because Claire and Kamito basically said "no".
- And the worst part? It was never going to work in the first place. She wants to kill the Elemental Lords to eliminate The Corruption, but the Demon King is also corrupted. If Kamito had awakened, he would have destroyed the world in exactly the same method that she was trying to prevent.
- Strong as They Need to Be: As the reincarnation of the Sacred Maiden, her strength is directly proportional to the power of the current Demon King. As the Demon King grows in power, so will her own. On the other hand, the weaker the Demon King becomes, the weaker she will become in turn.
- Walking Spoiler
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: She realized the insanity of the Elemental Lords along with the corruption and seeks to awaken Kamito, the current incarnation of Ren Ashdoll so that he may kill them and separate the spirits from the human world. The resulting chaos will possibly kill millions of people, but humanity would be saved as a result.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: After her defeat in the Blade Dance, Hierarch-possessed Sjora Kahn decided to silence her, but was ultimately prevented by Muir and Lily.
Voiced by: Yoshitsugu MatsuokaA former Instructional School assassin.
- Always Someone Better: Refuses to acknowledge Kamito as the Demon King's successor.
- An Arm and a Leg: Had his arm cut off by Kamito at the end of Volume 2. He now swears revenge on him.
- Butt Monkey: Gets this treatment when arguing with Team Inferno.
- Curb Stomp Battles: Gave these to the Sylphid Knights, as well as Team Scarlet initially.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: In the anime.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Refuses to believe that Kamito is better than him, as well as him being the true Demon King successor.
- Evil Redhead
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Restia inflicted this on him to prevent him from leaking info on Kamito and to make it harder to take revenge.
- Put on a Bus: Was sent to Balsas Prison after being arrested in Volume 2.
- The Bus Came Back: Returns 11 volumes later in Volume 13.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: He's the first opponent Kamito and the others face off against that actually gives them a hard time in a fight. It takes their entire group working together to defeat him.