open/close all folders
Voiced by: Mai Nakahara (Japanese), Jennifer Hale (English)
Heroine and main character of the game. A junior demon hunter who dreams of becoming the next Maiden of Light, but acts nothing like it.In a bonus ending, she (accidentally) becomes a Demon Overlord by defeating so many demons in the Dark World that they unanimously elect her as their leader. In a strange twist of canon, this version of Priere has shown up as a cameo (and frequent Bonus Boss) in every Disgaea game since then. It is ultimately explained in the Updated Re-release, which elaborates upon the events that follow the original ending.
Tropes Associated with Priere:
- Amazonian Beauty
- Badass Adorable: Has her moments, particularly with one of her facial shots.
- Badass Arm-Fold: Does this when she gets pissed.
- Beneath the Mask: Priere always try to look strong and not look weak, especially in front of Culotte.
- Blank White Eyes: When shocked or stunned, along with Sweat Drop.
- Boobs of Steel: Priere is like the poster girl of this trope.
- Cool Big Sis: To the orphans in town. Eclair also refers to her as "Big sister."
- Cross-Popping Veins
- Dangerously Short Skirt: Her dress is so short, the apron is all that prevents a Panty Shot, and as the heroine, she always fights in this outfit.
- Fiery Red Head
- Fireball Eyeballs: When angry or feeling particularly pumped up about something.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: She has a nasty uppercut that is powerful enough to not only launch an opponent to the moon, but also obliterate it, and that is without being an Overlord. Priere is a badass Action Girl.
- Groin Attack: Her Coup de Grace, a really nasty kick to the groin. Considering that her kicks can smash through iron doors, this isn't something you want to be on the receiving end on. Later games modify it into a Megaton Punch.
- Hartman Hips / Impossible Hourglass Figure: Depending on the Artist.
- Kewpie Doll Surprise: When shocked.
- Kick Chick: Priere's primary weapon is her baton, but she's just as likely to kick ass with her powerful legs. Her kick is capable of smashing through iron doors.
- Mama Bear: Priere doesn't take kindly to people who threaten her little brother.
- Morality Chain: Eventually starts holding Croix's chains.
- Naughty Nuns: To her defense, Father Salade gave her the clothes.
- Nun Too Holy: For someone aiming to be The Maiden of Light, she sure likes her violence and rudeness.Culotte: But if you think about it, you'd make a much better demon lord than a Maiden of Light...
- Promotion to Parent: Although they grew up in a orphanage, Priere tries to act like a mother figure for Culotte.
- Second Love: For Croix.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Mastiff gave her name as "Prier", while Atlus and NISA use "Priere". Even Japan seems unsure if her name is supposed to be Prier or Priere, using both names on the same official website for Ragnarok and in official materials.
- Sweat Drop: So many times she has her own personal animation.
- When She Smiles: According to Alouette.You always looked the prettiest when you were smiling.
- Why Can't I Hate You?: Priere feels this about Angelique.
- Wide Eyes and Shrunken Irises: When frustrated.
Tropes associated with Overlord Priere:
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Many of the games allow for this. In the original Disgaea 2, Ragnarok hadn't been made yet, so Priere's dialogue was pretty evil, threatening to cover the world in an ocean of blood. In other games, she was friendlier, and then finally in Ragnarok, there is an ending in La Pucelle where she turns into an evil Demon Overlord, and an ending where she turns into a good Demon Overlord. In Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten, she switched between the two and you could select whether she would have good or evil sounds in battle.
- Amazon Brigade: Often turns up with a small group of female-only demons backing her in her cameo appearances.
- Ascended Extra: Overlord Priere was just a joke in the original game.
- Bad Powers, Bad People/Bad Powers, Good People: Her powers are directly channeled though the Goddess of Darkness. Whether she is good or evil depends on if she mastered herself or if she fails.
- Blood Knight: Even with the appearances that tone down her evilness, she does seem a little more fight-happy as an Overlord.
- Bonus Boss: Is often one in Disgaea games.
- Boobs of Steel: Just like her normal form, but they're even more obvious now.
- Creepy Child: Initially takes the form of one in Ragnarok — specifically, a younger Priere.
- Dark Messiah: Turns into this in the good ending, purifying the Dark Prince and saves the world without Allouete dying like in the normal game.
- The Dark Side Will Make You Forget: Seems to have happened to her in some of the Cameo appearances, and can happen to her in the Overlord Priere story of the remake of La Pucelle.
- Enemy Within and Enemy Without: Pulls off both in Ragnarok. Unusually, she appears as an Enemy Without first.
- Evil Costume Switch: And you thought her first outfit was bad enough...
- Evil Laugh: She has a sprite for one but she has no in-battle voices. She does, however, have one in Disgaea 4, and, yes, it does sound like a certain other character voiced by Mai Nakahara.
- Fallen Hero: She can become one, and most characters regard her as such when she makes her cameos.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Priere becoming an Overlord has become infamous throughout the Nippon Ichi multiverse, especially in the Netherworlds where she is often described as a former human who became a demon due to a strong desire for power.
- Glass Cannon: When Priere becomes an Overlord, she trades defense for attack. If you thought being hit by magic hurt before...
- Horned Humanoid
- Ms. Fanservice
- Noble Demon: In the good ending.
- Power Gives You Wings
- Stripperiffic: By all accounts, something as simple as a good breeze should be enough to reveal her nipples.
- Super-Powered Evil Side
- Winged Humanoid: The sprites are somewhat inconsistent between games as to whether she has them, though.
Voiced by: Kaori Mizuhashi (Japanese), Jill Talley (English)
Priere's younger brother and the official Narrator. Tends to serve as Priere's voice of reason, to various degrees of success. Like his sister, he's also a junior demon hunter.
- Adorably Precocious Child: He's more mature than Priere, despite being her much younger brother. He's not really taken seriously by anyone, however. He's also the cutest thing you've ever seen.
- Blank White Eyes: When shocked or stunned, along with Sweat Drop.
- Deadpan Snarker: Usually directed at Priere, and tends to leave him with a bump on the head.
- Face Palm
- Hammerspace: His backpack.
- Hidden Eyes: When frightened.
- I Miss Mom: "I want my Daddy!! I want my Mommy!!" cries Culotte after their parents' death.
- Innocent Prodigy
- Improbable Weapon User: Attacks with fruits, lollipops, mushrooms, and bombs.
- Just a Kid
- Only Sane Man: The closest thing to one.
- No Infantile Amnesia: Inverted, Culotte explicitly says he does not really remember anything about his mother and father, who died when he was five years old.
- Precocious Crush: On Alouette.
- Post-Kiss Catatonia: Even if it was just on the cheek.
- Shy Finger-Twiddling: When embarrassed.
- Sweat Drop
Voiced by: Hikari Tachibana (Japanese), Colleen O'Shaughnessey (English)
Priere and Culotte's teacher in Church. She arrived at the Church of the Holy Maiden much later then the two of them, but her miracles were so powerful that she shot up the ranks very quickly. Was found by Father Salade and has no memory of her past. She's actually the Maiden of Light, with her memories and most of her powers sealed away.
- Apologetic Attacker
- By-the-Book Cop: A "By The Holy Book" Demon Hunter.
- Corporal Punishment: She sometimes hits Priere in the head with her book when she does something wrong. Which is to say, a lot.
- Declarative Finger: She likes to use it when she is scolding.
- The Empath: She can sense if people are evil/good and their emotions.
- Equivalent Exchange: Alouette's memory spell on the Dark Prince.
- First-Name Basis: Priere and Alouette agree to call each other simply by their names in chapter 3.
- The Fundamentalist: She has some traces of this in the beginning; she gets much better.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Very mildly, but she admits to herself that she is a little jealous of Priere and Culotte's family bond.
- Mini Dress Of Power: Lampshaded by Priere.And you're wearing a micro-mini under your robe!
- Mysterious Waif
- Older Than She Looks: Turns out she's actually older than Salade.
- Principles Zealot: She clings to the Goddess' teachings to the point where she is willing to execute a wild beast for harming humans in self-defense. She eventually starts growing out of it.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Spared by the Adaptation: Unlike the original ending, she survives in Updatedrerelease La Pucelle Ragnarok... well, in most endings.
- Sweat Drop
- Throw the Book at Them: One of her specials is whacking the opponent over the head with a thick book. She often does this to Priere as well.
- Who Dares?: How dare you question the Holy Book?!
Voiced by: Toshihiko Seki (Japanese), Quinton Flynn (English)
A freelance demon hunter who ends up working with the Church of the Holy Maiden. At one point, he worked for the Church of the Divine Mother, but quickly left them after he discovered that they were ran by demons. Like Alouette, he has no memory of his past. He's actually the Dark Prince, his powers and memories sealed away by Alouette fifty years ago.
- Amnesiac Dissonance
- Badass in Distress: In the final chapter.
- Badass Longcoat
- BFG: One of his final attacks involves a big bazooka.
- Crusading Widower: As the Dark Prince.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Expy: of Trigun's Nicholas D. Wolfwood, some promotional art are reminiscent of poses from the manga.
- First Love: Angelique.
- Guns Akimbo
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He has his moments, as lampshaded by Priere.
- Love Redeems: Both his first and second love has redeemed him through love.
- Morality Chain: As Priere is his Morality Chain to prevent becoming the Dark Prince, he himself is Overlord Priere's Morality Chain.
- Nice Guy: Priere describes him as cheerful and dependable.
- Older Than He Looks Hundreds of years old, in fact.
- Recurring Dreams
- See You in Hell: One of Croix's battle stock phrases.
- Smoking Is Cool: If you played the Japanese version, that is.
- Sunglasses at Night: Or in a cave, temple, demon world, wherever. Croix only takes off his Cool Shades to demonstrate surprise about something or when he unleashes his Superpowered Evil Side.
- Sweetie Graffiti: He and Angelique had carved their names on a tree in this manner.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: As the Dark Prince.
Voiced by: Natsuko Kuwatani (Japanese), Amber Hood (English)
The Princess of Paprica, Priere and Culotte met her four years prior to the story, and have been good friends with her ever since. Unfortunately, due to ever-accumulating stress, a dark side of herself was unknowingly formed, which she was soon forced to confront.
- Beta Couple: She and Homard to Priere and Croix.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Just wanted to be free, really.
- Expy: Of Princess Gradriel from Princess Crown.
- Enemy Within: Soon confronts her Superpowered Evil Side.
- Evil Costume Switch: Dark Eclair◊, hoo boy.
- Eyelid Pull Taunt: Done by Dark Eclair.
- Giant Waist Ribbon: It may be rather small compared to other examples, but it can be seen from any angle.
- Hidden Buxom: Dark Eclair shows that Eclair has bigger breasts than her princess dress lets on.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Really resents her position as nobility.
- Leotard of Power: As Dark Eclair.
- Shock and Awe: Her specials are all lightning-based.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: This how Eclair thinks of her two halves, like two sisters of light and dark.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Develops due to the stress of training to be Queen and the Maiden of Light at such a young age.
- They Do: She and Homard got engaged in the end.
Voiced by: Nobuyuki Hiyama (Japanese), Christopher Cook (English)
A Pirate who leads the Chocolat Gang. He's traveling around, hoping to meet the demon who crippled his father years ago. He's actually Cornet's Grandson, making him the Prince of Marl Kingdom. His carefree attitude causes friction with Eclair initially, but the two patch things up as the story continues.
- Cool Ship: It flies and has a main cannon.
- Dual Wielding: Has a pair of rapiers, used for cutting and slashing.
- Encyclopaedic Knowledge: It is lampshaded that he knows a lot about Mt. Champignon and it's hinted that he know a lot about everything because he is a world-traveling air pirate.
- Eyepatch of Power
- Gentleman Adventurer: Being an air pirate is his excuse to go on adventures while trying to find the demon that crippled his father.
- Green Eyes: He is in no way a cat, but his crew is.
- Hook Hand: Not Homard himself, but his second in command Yattanya.
- Hot-Blooded: What else do you expect from someone voiced by the King of Braves?
- I Want to Be a Real Man
- The Magnificent: "The great Captain Homard".
Voiced by: Takashi Nagasaki (Japanese), Phil Proctor (English)
The Founder of the Church of the Holy Maiden, he's an experienced Demon Hunter. In fact, he was present when Alouette sealed Croix away fifty years ago, and since devoted his life to gathering support for Alouette when Croix's dark side appeared again. It appears that he was the one who taught Priere how to fight.
- Badass Grandpa: Well over 50 years old, can kick the crap out of demons. He can also KILL Overlord Priere in one ending of the remake."Do you think you can take on Salade the Demon Killer?"
- Bald of Awesome: His character design sketchs shows that he is bald.
- Corporal Punishment: He hits Priere from behind for being late.
- Dirty Old Man: Who do you think picked Priere and Alouette's outfits?
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Can punch out Demon Lords barehaded.
- Grandpa, What Massive Hotness You Have: His character design sketches shows him when he is shirtless and hatless, and he's very buff.
- Henpecked Husband: Probably a very mild example, but Culotte mentions Salade could never stand up to his wife, and Salade answers that it is true and that he would rather be fighting demons.
- High Priest
- Opaque Lenses
- Real Men Love Jesus: Loves Goddess Poitreene.
- Save the Princess: His dream as a boy.
Voiced by: Nobuo Tobita (Japanese), James Horan (English)
A half-demon who formed the Church of the Divine Mother, and has over 70% of Paprica's faithful, more than enough to prove a threat to the Queen. Growing up, he was teased and bullied by both demons and humans, which led him to the creation of his own goals: to obtain Calamity's powers and create a world for himself by eliminating all humans and demons.
- Bad Boss: He treats his enemies with more respect than his underlings, and actually kills some of them, not that they don't deserve it.
- Big Bad
- The Chessmaster: Plays all of the other characters so well that it takes nearly the entire game for anyone to do much more than inconvenience him slightly.
- Did You Just Scam Cthulhu?: Tricks the Dark Prince and attempts to use him to take the powers of the Goddess of Darkness.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas
- Eviler Than Thou: And you thought the Dark Prince would be the main villain of this story, didn't you?
- The Evils of Free Will: Noir's basic motivation. First, he watched a bunch of angry townsfolk kill his mother because they could. Then he suffered at the hands of demons because they could. Finally, he realized that both humans and demons were the same: stuck-up, stubborn individuals with their own unique viewpoints and a lethal bone to pick with anyone that they think would ever disagree with them, which is in reality everybody, and the revelation drove him mad. Now he seeks to suppress individualism by killing everyone else.
- Expecting Someone Taller: Culotte imagined the head of the Church of the Divine Mother was scarier.
- Faux Affably Evil
- Half-Human Hybrid
- High Priest
- I Lied: No, Dark Croix, Noir was just using you the whole time, he didn't want to help you take revenge.
- Fantastic Racism: On the receiving end from both demons and humans.
- Nature Lover: He kills one of his minions who was attempting a Taking You with Me because the attack would burn down the forest. Gives some insight into how little he cares about his underlings.
- Noble Demon: His father, according to his mother, was a pretty good guy.
- One-Winged Angel
- Orphan's Ordeal: His mother was killed right in front of him by other humans; that was a very bad idea on their part.
- Power Floats: He has the ability to float.
- Sexy Priest: No The Casanova, but he is good-looking and charismatic.
- Sinister Minister
- Utopia Justifies the Means: Though as it turns out, said utopia was sorely for his benefit.
- Villain with Good Publicity
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness