Heroine and main character of the game. A junior demon hunter who dreams of becoming the next Maiden of Light, but acts nothing like it.
In a bonus ending she (accidentally) becomes a Demon Overlord by defeating so many demons in the Dark World that they unanimously elect her as their leader
. In a strange twist of canon, this
version of Priere has shown up as a cameo (and frequent Bonus Boss
) in every Disgaea
game since then. It is ultimately explained in the Updated Re-release
, which elaborates upon the events that follow the original ending.
Tropes Associated with Priere:
Tropes associated with Overlord Priere:
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Many of the games allow for this. In the original Disgaea 2, Ragnarok hadn't been made yet; so Priere's dialogue was pretty evil; threatening to cover the world in an ocean of blood. In other games, she was friendlier; and then finally in Ragnarok there is an ending in La Pucelle where she turns into an evil Demon Overlord, and an ending where she turns into a good Demon Overlord. In Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten, she switched between the two and you could select whether she would have good or evil sounds in battle.
- Amazon Brigade: Often turns up with a small group of female-only demons backing her in her cameo appearances.
- Badass: There's plenty of demons born as Overlords or those who become Overlords, but Priere is one of the few humans in the Disgaea universe who became one through sheer power and Level Grinding. That's pretty badass. Like a Badass out of Hell, even.
- Bad Powers, Bad People/Bad Powers, Good People: Her powers are directly channeled though the Goddess of Darkness. Whether she is good or evil depends on if she mastered herself or if she fails.
- Blood Knight: Even with the appearances that tone down her evilness, she does seem a little more fight happy as an Overlord.
- Bonus Boss: Is often one in Disgaea games.
- Boobs of Steel: Just like her normal form, but they're even more obvious now.
- Creepy Child: Initially takes the form of one in Ragnarok - specifically, a younger Priere.
- Dark Messiah: Turns into this in the good ending, purifying the Dark Prince and saves the world without Alluete dying like in the normal game.
- The Dark Side Will Make You Forget: Seems to have happened to her in some of the Cameo appearances, and can happen to her in the Overlord Priere story of the remake of La Pucelle.
- Enemy Within and Enemy Without: Pulls off both in Ragnarok. Unusually, she appears as an Enemy Without first.
- Evil Costume Switch: And you thought her first outfit was bad enough...
- Evil Laugh: She has a sprite for one but she has no in-battle voices. She does, however, have one in Disgaea 4 and, yes, it does sound like a certain other character voiced by Mai Nakahara.
- Fallen Hero: She can become one and most characters regard her as such when she makes her cameos.
- Fetish Fuel Station Attendant: Jeez...
- Glass Cannon: When Priere becomes an Overlord, she trades defense for attack. If you thought being hit by magic hurt before...
- Horned Humanoid
- Ms. Fanservice
- Noble Demon: In the good ending.
- Power Gives You Wings
- Stripperiffic: By all accounts, something as simple as a good breeze should be enough to reveal her nipples.
- Super-Powered Evil Side
- Winged Humanoid: The sprites are somewhat inconsistent between games as to whether she has them though.
Priere's younger brother and the official Narrator
. Tends to serve as Priere's voice of reason, to various degrees of success. Like his sister, he's also a junior demon hunter.
Priere and Culotte's teacher in Church. She arrived at the Church of the Holy Maiden much later then the two of them, but her miracles were so powerful that she shot up the ranks very quickly. Was found by Father Salade and has no memory of her past. She's actually the Maiden of Light, with her memories and most of her powers sealed away.
A freelance demon hunter who ends up working with the Church of the Holy Maiden. At one point, he worked for the Church of the Divine Mother, but quickly left them after he discovered that they were ran by demons. Like Alouette, he has no memory of his past. He's actually the Dark Prince, his powers and memories sealed away by Alouette fifty years ago.
The Princess of Paprica, Priere and Culotte met her four years prior to the story, and have been good friends with her ever since. Unfortunately, due to ever-accumulating stress, a dark side of herself was unknowingly formed, which she was soon forced to confront.
A Pirate who leads the Chocolat Gang. He's traveling around, hoping to meet the demon who crippled his father years ago. He's actually Cornet's Grandson, making him the Prince of Marl Kingdom.
His carefree attitude causes friction with Eclair initially, but the two patch things up as the story continues.
The Founder of the Church of the Holy Maiden, he's an experienced Demon Hunter. In fact, he was present when Alouette sealed Croix away fifty years ago, and since devoted his life to gathering support for Alouette when Croix's dark side appeared again.
It appears that he was the one who taught Priere how to fight.
A half-demon who formed the Church of the Divine Mother, and has over 70% of Paprica's faithful, more than enough to prove a threat to the Queen. Growing up, he was teased and bullied by both demons and humans, which lead him to the creation of his own goals: to obtain Calamity's powers and create a world for himself by eliminating all humans and demons
- Bad Boss: He treats his enemies with more respect than his underlings, and actually kills some of them, not that they don't deserve it.
- Big Bad
- The Chessmaster: Plays all of the other characters so well that it takes nearly the entire game for anyone to do much more than inconvenience him slightly.
- Did You Just Scam Cthulhu?: Tricks the Dark Prince and attempts to use him to take the powers of Goddess of Darkness.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas
- Eviler Than Thou: And you thought the Dark Prince would be the main villain of this story, didn't you?
- Expecting Someone Taller: Culotte imagined the head of Church of the Divine Mother was scarier.
- Faux Affably Evil
- Half-Human Hybrid
- High Priest
- The Humans Killed My Mother
- I Lied: No, Dark Croix, Noir was just using you the whole time, he didn't want to help you take revenge.
- Fantastic Racism: On the receiving end from both demons and humans.
- Nature Lover: Kills one of his minions who was attempting a Taking You with Me because the attack would burn down the forest. Gives some insight into how little he cares about his underlings.
- Noble Demon: His father, according to his mother, was a pretty good guy.
- One-Winged Angel
- Orphan's Ordeal: His mother was killed right infront of him by other humans, that was a very bad idea to do.
- Power Floats: He has the ability to float.
- Sexy Priest: No The Casanova, but he is good looking and charismatic.
- Sinister Minister
- Utopia Justifies the Means: Though as it turns out, said utopia was sorely for his benefit.
- Villain with Good Publicity
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness