open/close all folders
Voiced by: Romi Park (JP), Cole Howard (EN)Kosuke Ueki is the main character in the series. He is in Class 1-C at Hinokuni Junior High School. Ueki's ability is given to him by Kobayashi (a.k.a. Mr. K), who is also Ueki's homeroom teacher. His level 2 power is to undo the opponent's power. He can use more than one sacred treasure weapon at the same time because of his given ability.
- The Ace: Before he lost his talents, he was one of the track team's most athletic members.
- All-Loving Hero: He spares even Robert on instinct during their fight.
- Anti-Magic: His Level 2 ability reverses the process of any ability.
- Awesome by Analysis: So much that once he's figured out your powers and how they work, it is pretty much an Instant-Win Condition of Ueki; from that point in the fight onwards its only a matter of time before he beats your face in.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: His initial characterization.
- The Chew Toy: Courtesy Ai.
- Chick Magnet: Before he lost this talent. When he was this, Mori commented that every day, a girl would confess her feelings for him and he'd reject them.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Even the author states that he's unpredictable.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: The moron part comes into full-throttle once the Robert's Ten arc begins.
- Determinator: Nothing can break his spirit if he's fighting to protect his friends.
- Fearless Fool: Seen as this by his opponents.
- The Fool: Initially Brilliant, but Lazy, but eventually settles on this.
- Green Thumb: His power which is environmentally friendly, turning trash into trees. It turns out to be a real Game Breaker because it can negate any ability.
- Heavy Sleeper: Initially which led to the belief that he was Brilliant, but Lazy.
- Honor Before Reason: He uses his tree power to interfere to fight any injustice that he comes across, despite the fact that using that power on non-contestant makes him lose his talents and eventually disappear when he has no more.
- Idiot Hero: He's usually not too bright, which makes his analysis skills even more amazing.
- Made of Iron: Which causes Robert to undergo a Villainous Breakdown.
- Mellow Fellow: He is an unusually calm individual.
- Missing Mom: It turns out that she's dead. That's his human adopted mom. Played straight with his real Celestial mom who's implied to have left his real dad after he was dropped off in the real world.
- Multi-Melee Master: Most Celestial Beings can only summon one Sacred Weapon at a time. Ueki's level 2 Celestial power (not his regular level 2 ability) allows him to summon more than one or all of them at once.
- No Sense of Direction: In the fight against Marilyn's team, he couldn't figure out where his teammates were and ended up in other places in that area until he backtracked to where he beat one of his opponents, took the scanner from him and used it to find his friends.
- Power Gives You Wings: His second to last God power.
- Talk to the Fist: What Kosuke tends to do to his opponents since he doesn't want to listen to them rant.
- Teen Genius: Before he lost his intelligence. He was so smart before he lost his powers that he could take tests and get 100 percent on them while he was asleep!
- This Loser Is You: Justified in that he actually is one of the smarter and athletic characters in the series as well as a Chick Magnet. However, his sense of justice is so high, he uses his powers on thugs often and as a result, loses all the above and becomes this. Mori and everyone around him lampshades this.
- Too Dumb to Fool: BJ tried to scare him by pretending to be Robert Haydn. However, since BJ already introduced himself as BJ to Ueki earlier that day, and Ueki did not know who Robert was at that time, Ueki's reaction was simply confusion, and he kept insisting that his opponent is BJ, not Robert.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Ueki has green hair.
- Your Days Are Numbered: He has the fewest talents in the series because he keeps wasting them by doling out justice to jerks and as a rule, whenever he hurts a non-God candidate with his powers, he loses a talent. Once his talents reach zero, he'll die. Mori has to keep reminding him not to use his powers but he doesn't listen.
Voiced by: Tomoko Kawakami (JP), Lori Barnes-Smith (EN)Ai Mori is one of Ueki's classmates at Hinokuni Junior High School. She discovers Ueki's power early on, coming to a rather unusual conclusion and at first believing him to be an alien. Upon learning of the competition Ueki is in, she decides to back him up, to keep him from losing all his talents and disappearing because of it.
- Badass Normal: For half of the series before she got her powers, she was able to hold her own in battle by outsmarting many of the villains.
- Distressed Damsel: Subverted. She actually doesn't need to be rescued that often and when she poses a threat, she's usually knocked to the side out of danger.
- Fetish: Her power forces the person to have a glasses fetish.
- The Generic Girl: Until she gets her powers.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Keeps her glasses above her eyes and is rarely seen wearing them whilst talking to others. They're just reading glasses and she keeps a ton of them with her at any given time.
- He Who Must Not Be Seen: Her parents almost never appear in the anime but they make at a few cameos in the manga as they often worry about their daughter.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: When in a casual mood, Ai is usually upbeat and friendly, although she is often shown with a very shallow side, initially believing that all power-users (with the exception of Ueki) are dangerous enemies that can't be trusted. Still, Ai cares deeply for her friends, especially Ueki.
- Lethal Chef: Subverted. Her food looks bad but tastes great.
- The Load: A more straight example than Hideyoshi. She has useless powers that can't help her friends out. Becomes more evident in the final battle in which all she can do is stand there and watch Anom kicked the crap out of Sano and Rinko.
- Protectorate: To Kosuke.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Ai has aquamarine hair.
Voiced by: Soichiro Hoshi (JP), Beau Thompson (EN)Sano can change towels into iron by holding his breath, but due to the limitations of animation, he frequently uses his power without any apparent limitations; this is especially noticeable in battle sequences.
- Alliterative Name: His first and last name both begin with "S".
- Awesome by Analysis: He can figure out a person's power very quickly. On the down side, he's knocked out before he can do anything.
- Black Comedy Rape: He thinks this when he yells at Mori in one of her matches that her opponent is going to rape her. She doesn't take it well.
- Break the Cutie: Karlpaccho tried this on Sano by threatening to kill his God Candidate Inumaru that he probably saw as more than a friend by planting a bomb on his neck and if he didn't join his team, he would set it off. He then forces Sano to fight against his friends. While Sano was trying to go around the deal by pretending to lose to Kosuke, Capucho wouldn't fall for it and then puts Mori and Rinko's life on the name as well as Inugami. It's when Inugami sacrifices himself to give Mori her powers and goes to Hell as a result is when he finally breaks down. Capucho then pushes his buttons by calling his friend a loser for forfeiting his chance to become God for someone like him. And while Kosuke stands up for him and demands to fight Capucho to take back what he said, Capucho declares that Sano won the match because Kosuke finish him off and then forces Sano to watch from the audience stand as he beats up Kosuke quite a bit. At this point, it becomes obvious that this tactic worked but Sano quickly grows out of it.
- Distressed Dude: Subverted. Kosuke assumes he's this when Inumaru claims about Robert capturing Sano but Sano clearly states he joined Robert's crew on his own free will. He still needs to get out of the jam of course.
- Extra-ore-dinary: Can turn towels into steel by holding his breath.
- The Lancer: To Ueki.
- Noodle Incident: How he got the burn on his face. All the character manual says is that he got into an accident at the hot springs.
- Parental Neglect: This is the case for Sano's family since Sano never mentions his parents nor do they get screen time. The way he treats Wanko is more like a father than a friend and then there's the fact that Sano actually doesn't live where the series take place and in the sequel, he seems to be out of the country BY HIMSELF.
- Protectorate: To Kosuke.
- Scars Are Forever: The burn on his face.
- Selective Magnetism: His Level 2 ability.
- Ship Tease: He has a few moments with Rinko.
- Weak, but Skilled: He is very creative with his attacks, like making iron springs and boomerangs.
- The Worf Effect: He usually has to lose or get beaten up badly so Kosuke can jump in and finish the battle.
Voiced by: Mamiko Noto (JP), Angie Beers (EN)Rinko Jerrard is a 15-year-old power user who can create bombs from beads. She creates special accessories in order to use her beads in more constructive ways.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her regular outfit.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Overlaps with being Cute and Psycho in Sano's eyes.
- But Not Too Foreign: If her last name isn't a big hint.
- Cute and Psycho: Sano thinks she's this.
- Cuteness Overload: This is her major weakness. When she sees something cute, she can't attack it. However, if you set her off, then it doesn't matter if the thing is cute. She will beat you up.
- Happiness in Slavery: Was dedicated to Robert's goals before joining Ueki.
- High-Heel–Face Turn: She wasn't evil but she was planning to finish Kosuke off until he won her over to his side.
- Important Hair Cut
- Lonely Rich Kid: Before she met Robert.
- More Dakka: Her Finger Bead Cannons.
- The Ojou: Comes from a rich family, but it caused her to be ostracized by her peers.
- Rocket Jump: By embedding beads inside the soles of her shoes.
- Ship Tease: With Sano.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Can turn beads into bombs.
- The Smart Girl: All the weapons she uses in conjunction with her powers? She made them herself!
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Rinko has pink hair.
Voiced by: Kappei Yamaguchi (JP), Chris Ippolito (EN)Hideyoshi Sōya has the ability to turn voices into portraits and can make voices come out of them. The condition is that he needs to bend his fingers or toes.
- Animal Stereotypes: He is commonly referred to a monkey by his friends and enemies. He even acts like a monkey and looks like one. His own Chosen profile pic is of a gorilla.
- Art Imitates Life: Can turn voices into portraits.
- Confusion Fu: His favored tactic in conjunction with his ability to turn voices into portraits.
- Expy: Of Jack from MÄR.
- The Load: Hideyoshi knows he's this and prays that he never has to fight in the tournament. Luck is usually on his side.
- Loud of War: His ability is to turn voices into portraits, which then plays back the sound. He often uses this as an attempt of Confusion Fu.
- Promotion to Parent: Or at least an older brother figure to the orphans.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: During the last battle, he abandons his friends because he knows he can't beat Anon. He comes back near the end because he realized he wouldn't be able to forgive himself if his friends died. This causes him to get knocked out by one of Kosuke's attacks, saving his life by giving him one more talent before taking down Anon.
- The Trickster: In his introduction, he tricks Ueki and Mori into doing his car wash job. And that's only the tip of the iceberg.
- Ventriloquism: His ability is to turn voices into portraits. By undoing the power, the portraits turn back into voices, allowing him to make his voice come from different locations. He's especially good at using it to surprise, distract, or misdirect his opponents.
- Weak, but Skilled: Though his power is next to worthless, he is good at using it to distract and confuse his enemies.
King of the Celestial World
Voiced by: Jurota Kosugi (JP), Roger Rhodes (EN)The current Celestial King, he is the one who created the tournament in the first place.
- A Lady on Each Arm: Almost always seen like this.
- Batman Gambit: Tries to pull one on the Guardian Clan by putting in a loophole allowing Celestial Children to participate in the tournament.
- Cool Shades: Wears a pair of red shades over his head.
- Dirty Old Man
- King of All Cosmos: He's a Dirty Old Man... And he's essentially god.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Although he doesn't look like it, he's actually very wise and powerful.
- Tragic Keepsake: Those red shades he always wear are actually a gift from the now-deceased Haruko, who gave him the idea for the tournament.
Voiced by: Katsuji Mori (JP), Ben Jeffery (EN)
- Not the Fall That Kills You: Pulls this three times on Ueki. And while he tends to complain that the catch hurt his arms, neither of them are actually ever injured from it.
Voiced by: Akira Ishida (JP), Scott Roberts (EN)
- Affectionate Nickname: Gets called "Wanko" by Sano.
- Better to Die than Be Killed: After Carpaccio reveals that he placed a remote-control parasite that will suck Inumaru's blood dry if Sano, his candidate, didn't join Carpaccio's team, Inumaru gives Ai a power, thereby making him go to Hell (since god candidates are not allowed to give powers to two people), where the bug can't be activated from there.
- Butt Monkey: Word of God actually confirmed that pretty much his main purpose in life is to be picked on by Kobayashi.
- King of All Cosmos: And your new god is a Butt Monkey!
- Nice Hat
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Quite possibly the only sane adult in the series.
- Scarf of Asskicking: Wears a black-and-white scarf with a "19" tag on it.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: He's a huge Butt Monkey... And then the kids pick him as King's replacement.
- Wingding Eyes: He doesn't have pupils, just spirals in his irises. (Then again, he's not exactly human, either.)
Voiced by: Shuichi Ikeda (JP), Jonathan Love (EN)
Voiced by: Mitsuki Saiga (JP), Sean Broadhurst (EN)
- All of the Other Reindeer: He was always shunned by the citizens of his childhood town.
- Anti-Villain: Robert demonstrates a sense of honor and fairness on many occasions, such as when he manages to fit bracelets laced with a deadly poison onto the entire main cast, then proceeds to let them walk free when they win his little underworld game.
- Cast from Lifespan: His ability to make ideals real cuts off a year of his life per ideal used. The primary function of Robert's Ten is to do all the fighting for him so he doesn't have to use the remaining years of his life to fight.
- Creepy Child: His perpetual smiley-face is simply unsettling.
- Creepy Monotone: Which complement his looks. He only raises his voice when being extremely pissed.
- Dark and Troubled Past/Freudian Excuse: [spoiler:His childhood was full of abuse from both his peers and the adults, due to his Celestial powers being awakened early.]]
- Fur and Loathing: Wears a parka in his introductory arc, and is one of the most dangerous power-users in the tournament.
- Gravity Master: His Level 2 ability, usually manifested in the form of bubbles.
- Heel–Face Door-Slam: He was considering joining up with Kosuke and the group because they showed him the wonders of the power of friendship. Then his God candidite appears with Anom and Anom easily defeats and swallows. Thankfully, he's saved by Kosuke by the last episode and does a complete Heel–Face Turn.
- Teens Are Monsters: Like the majority of the villains in the series.
- Where I Was Born and Razed: After his Break the Cutie moment, he finally snapped and destroyed his home village along with the citizens.
- Your Mind Makes It Real: His ability is to make an ideal real at the cost of a year of his life per ideal.
Carl P. 'Carpaccio' Accio
Voiced by: Wataru Takagi (JP), Roger Rhodes (EN)
- The Dragon: To Robert.
- Hawaiian-Shirted Tourist: Dresses like one.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: This is how Ueki defeated him with Tenko's help.
- Mega Manning: His Level 1 ability enables him to absorb the abilities of Robert's Ten members for as long as he's within 10 meters of them for at least 24 hours.
- Mind Reading: Literally; one of his absorbed abilities is to turn his enemies' thoughts into phone mails, which he can read and use to his advantage.
- Teleport Spam: His Level 2 ability enables him to switch places with anything he touches.
Voiced by: Yusei Oda (JP), Jeffrey Watson (EN)
- Dishing Out Dirt: His ability is to turn his shadow into clay.
- Doppelgänger Attack: His preferred tactic.
- Giant Mook: He can also make a humongous Clay Golem out of his shadow, but he uses it to finish off his opponents.
- Face–Heel Turn: He realized that life is not fair after his basketball team was disqualified for the Nationals for taking revenge against their last opponent who dealt a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown on their ace player.
- Red Baron: "Black Shadow".
Voiced by: Harumi Sakurai (JP), Annika Odegard (EN)
Voiced by: Ken Narita (JP), Charles Heffernan (EN)
Voiced by: Kouji Ishii (JP), Ben Jeffery (EN)
- Power Fist: What his ring-turned-rocket is usually for.
Voiced by: Show Hayami (JP), Randy Brososky (EN)
- Berserk Button: Insults to his cooking.
- Evil Chef: He's a chef and he's one of the bad guys.
- Magma Man: Can turn tomatoes into magma.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: After Alessio and Don are defeated and no longer in the competition, Marco gives no second thoughts about killing them with magma since they are no longer useful to the team.
Voiced by: Chikao Ohtsuka (JP), Richard Lee (EN)
Voiced by: Yumiko Kobayashi (JP), Suzette Mattar (EN)
Voiced by: Mayumi Yamaguchi (JP), Ben Johnson (EN)
- Faux Affably Evil: Pretends to be a friendly person... but he's no different from the rest of the twelve.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: His ability is to turn whistles into lasers.
- Precision-Guided Boomerang: His other ability is to turn CDs into buzzsaws.
- Verbal Tic: Ends his sentences with "~su". It was changed to "like" in the English dub.
Voiced by: Noriaki Sugiyama (JP), Jordan Schartner (EN)
Voiced by: Akiko Yajima (JP), Caitlynne Merdek (EN)
- Affably Evil: Very little about him even suggests he's evil in the first place. He only attacks Ueki when he tried to stop him from eating.
- Confusion Fu: Strike weird poses while using his power to hide the actual limiting conditions.
Voiced by: Yuu Asakawa (JP), Annika Odegard (EN)
- An Ice Person: He can turn his voice into freezing gas.
- Breath Weapon: More like Voice Weapon, but still counts.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: He's defeated by his own voice that got turned into portrait (that still shoots freezing gas) by Hideyoshi.
- Human Popsicle: His Breath Weapon backfires when he's trapped by Ueki's Gulliver, turning him into this.
- Ice Breaker: His Level 2 freezing gas makes anything it froze very easy to shatter.
- Nice Hat: Constantly wears a cap.
- Smug Snake: Which leads to his downfall.
Voiced by: Masaya Matsukaze (JP), Jordan Schartner (EN)
Voiced by: Hiroshi Kamiya (JP), Paul Hudson (EN)
- Be the Ball: Has the power to turn himself into a billiard ball.
- Gratuitous English: More so in the original Japanese then in the translations. English is stated to be his best subject.
- Insistent Terminology: Not a billiard ball, a Super Dynamic Elegant Ball!
- Rolling Attack: His preferred method of attack is to turn into the ball and do this.
Voiced by: Isshin Chiba (JP)
- Art Initiates Life: Can turn models into working replicas.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: TWICE!. Brings a model of Ueki to life and then orders it to attack the evil before it. Being an exact copy of Ueki, the clone helps the real one beat him up!
- Too Dumb to Live: Really, what did you think an exact copy of Ueki would do?
Voiced by: Yui Horie (JP), Jordan Henkleman (EN)
Voiced by: Kentaro Ito (JP), Lucas Gilbertson (EN)
- Barrier Warrior: Can turn his clothing into a barrier.
- Full-Contact Magic: His Level 2 ability enables him to change his opponent's clothes into a barrier which synchronizes with his own.
- Blatant Lies: Initially claims his powers are invincibility and the power to turn his voice into a shockwave.
- Verbal Tic: "Baby".
Voiced by: Toshio Furukawa (JP), Ryan Stockert (EN)
Voiced by: Toshiharu Sakurai (JP), Brett Bauer (EN)
Voiced by: Satsuki Yukino (JP), Carol-Anne Day (EN)
Voiced by: Banjo Ginga (JP), Ai Horanai (JP, young), Adam Hunter (EN)
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud?: Due to his 'obedient nature', he accidentally reveals his power to Ueki, among other things. Although to be fair he's hardly the only one guilty of this.
- Knife Nut: Always carries around and uses a knife. It's actually part of his ability.
- Shadow Pin: His level 2 ability.
- Teleport Spam: His ability enables him to move to wherever he throws his knife at.
- Third-Person Person: Always refers to himself as "Baron".
Voiced by: Shinichiro Miki (JP), Ryan Stockert (EN)
Voiced by: Minori Chihara (JP), Morgan Partridge (EN)
- Art Initiates Life: She has the power to change blueprints into completed projects.
- Trap Master: Her usual method of using her ability.
Voiced by: Kaori Fukuhara (JP), Ian Wolach (EN)
- Hyperspace Arsenal: His ability turns his mouth into one.
Voiced by: Shiho Kawaragi (JP), Chris Lorincz (EN)
- Achilles' Heel: If he uses weapons Ranma, Namihana, and Pick, weapons that require the user to be attached to the weapon, he also creates a past vision of himself, leaving him wide open for an attack since he will take any damage taken by past visions of himself.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: His Start of Darkness was when he accidentally hit his mom with a Kurogane.
- Long-Range Fighter: As he is also a Celestial Being, he can use his powers on his Sacred Weapons to attack from multiple places at once.
- Spam Attack: Repeatedly spams his Kurogane and Mash at Ueki during their battle.
- Time Master: His ability is to turn past visions into reality.
Van Decout/Ban Dicoot
Voiced by: Eiji Takemoto (JP), John Knight (EN)
- Cuteness Proximity: Gets this towards his own Weapons!
Voiced by: Toru Okawa (JP), Corby Proctor (EN)
- Invisibility: His ability renders his Sacred Weapons invisible.
- Younger Than They Look: He's even younger than Sano, and yet Sano calls him old man!