Characters: The Law of Ueki
Ueki TeamKousuke Ueki
- The Ace: Before he lost his talents, he was one of the track team's most athletic members.
- All-Loving Hero: He spares even Robert on instinct during their fight.
- Anti-Magic: His Level 2 ability reverses the process of any ability.
- Awesome by Analysis: So much that once he's figured out your powers and how they work, it is pretty much an Instant-Win Condition of Ueki; from that point in the fight onwards its only a matter of time before he beats your face in.
- Brilliant but Lazy: His initial characterization.
- The Chew Toy: By Ai.
- Chick Magnet: Before he loses this talents. When he was this, Mori commented that every day, a girl would confess her feelings for him and he'd reject them.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Even the author states that he's unpredictable.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: The moron part comes into full-throttle once the Robert's Ten arc begins.
- Determinator: Nothing can break his spirit if he's fighting to protect his friends.
- Fearless Fool: Oh so much.
- The Fool: Initially Brilliant but Lazy, but eventually settles on this.
- Green Thumb: His power which is environmentally friendly, turning trash into trees.
- Heavy Sleeper: Initially which led to the belief that he was Brilliant but Lazy
- The Hero
- Honor Before Reason: Ever since the Robert's Ten arc
- Idiot Hero: Becomes this by Volume 5.
- Made of Iron: Which causes Robert to undergo a Villainous Breakdown.
- Missing Mom: It turns out that she's dead. That's his human adopted mom.
- Played straight with his real Celestial mom who's implied to have left his real dad after he was dropped off in the real world.
- Multi-Melee Master: Most Celestial Beings can only summon one Sacred Weapon at a time. Ueki's level 2 Celestial power (not his regular level 2 ability) allows him to summon more than one or all of them at once.
- No Sense of Direction: In the fight against Marilyn's team, he couldn't figure out where his teammates were and ended up in other places in that area until he backtracked to where he beat one of his opponents, took the scanner from him and used it to find his friends.
- Power Gives You Wings: His second to last God power.
- Talk to the Fist: What Kosuke tends to do to his opponents since he doesn't want to listen to them rant.
- Teen Genius: Before he lost his intelligence. He was so smart before he lost his powers that he could take tests and get 100 percent on them while he was asleep!
- This Loser Is You: Justified in that he actually is one of the smarter and athletic characters in the series as well as a chick magnet. However, his sense of justice is so high, he uses his powers on thugs often and as a result, loses all the above and becomes this. Mori and everyone around him lampshades this.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
- Your Days Are Numbered: He has the fewest talents in the series because he keeps wasting them by doling out justice to jerks and as a rule, whenever he hurts a non-God candidate with his powers, he loses a talent. Once his talents reach zero, he'll die. Mori has to keep reminding him not to use his powers but he doesn't listen.
- Badass Normal: For half of the series before she got her powers, she was able to hold her own in battle by outsmarting many of the villains. Even with her useless power, she managed to trick them and still come off on top.
- The Chick
- Distressed Damsel: Subverted. She actually doesn't need to be rescued that often and when she poses a threat, she's usually knocked to the side out of danger.
- Fetish: Her power forces the person to have a glasses fetish.
- The Generic Girl: Until she gets her powers.
- Genki Girl
- Goggles Do Nothing: Keeps her glasses above her eyes and is rarely seen wearing them whilst talking to others. They're just reading glasses and she keeps a ton of them with her at any given time.
- He Who Must Not Be Seen: Her parents almost never appear in the anime but they make at a few cameos in the manga as they often worry about their daughter.
- Lethal Chef: Subverted. Her food looks bad but tastes great.
- The Load: A more straight example than Hideyoshi. She has useless powers that can't help her friends out. Becomes more evident in the final battle in which all she can do is stand there and watch Anom kicked the crap out of Sano and Rinko.
- Protectorate: To Kosuke.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Tomboy to Rinko's girly girl.
- Tsundere: Type A.
- Victorious Childhood Friend
- You Gotta Have Aquamarine Hair
Rinko JerrardHideyoshi Soya
- Awesome by Analysis: He can figure out a person's power very quickly. On the down side, he's knocked out before he can do anything.
- Black Comedy Rape: He thinks this when he yells at Mori in one of her matches that her opponent is going to rape her. She doesn't take it well.
- Break the Cutie: Karlpaccho tried this on Sano by threatening to kill his God Candidate Inugami that he probably saw as more than a friend by planting a bomb on his neck and if he didn't join his team, he would set it off. He then forces Sano to fight against his friends. While Sano was trying to go around the deal by pretending to lose to Kosuke, Capucho wouldn't fall for it and then puts Mori and Rinko's life on the name as well as Inugami. It's when Inugami sacrifices himself to give Mori her powers and goes to Hell as a result is when he finally breaks down. Capucho then pushes his buttons by calling his friend a loser for forfeiting his chance to become God for someone like him. And while Kosuke stands up for him and demands to fight Capucho to take back what he said, Capucho declares that Sano won the match because Kosuke finish him off and then forces Sano to watch from the audience stand as he beats up Kosuke quite a bit. At this point, it becomes obvious that this tactic worked but Sano quickly grows out of it.
- Cry Cute
- The Cutie
- Distressed Dude: Subverted. Kosuke assumes he's this when Inumaru claims about Robert capturing Sano but Sano clearly states he joined Robert's crew on his own free will. He still needs to get out of the jam of course.
- Exactly What I Aimed At
- Extra Ore Dinary: Can turn towels into steel by holding his breath.
- Kansai Regional Accent
- The Lancer
- Nice Guy
- Noodle Incident: How he got the burn on his face. All the character manual says is that he got into an accident at the hot springs.
- Only Sane Man
- Parental Abandonment / Parental Neglect: This is the case for Sano's family since Sano never mentions his parents nor do they get screen time. The way he treats Wanko is more like a father than a friend and then there's the fact that Sano actually doesn't live where the series take place and in the sequel, he seems to be out of the country BY HIMSELF.
- Plucky Guy: See Break the Cutie.
- Protectorate: To Kosuke.
- Scars Are Forever: The burn on his face.
- Ship Tease: With Rinko.
- Wimpification: He suffers from this in fanfiction.
- Weak, but Skilled: He is very creative with his attacks.
- The Worf Effect: He usually has to lose or get beaten up badly so Kosuke can jump in and finish the battle.
- Animal Stereotypes: He is commonly referred to a monkey by his friends and enemies. He even acts like a monkey and looks like one. His own Chosen profile pic is of a gorilla.
- Art Imitates Life: Can turn voices into portraits.
- Butt Monkey
- Confusion Fu: His favored tactic in conjunction with his ability to turn voices into portraits.
- Cowardly Lion
- Expy: Of Jack from Märchen Awakens Romance.
- The Load: Hideyoshi knows he's this and prays that he never has to fight in the tournament. Luck is usually on his side.
- Lovable Coward
- Make Me Wanna Shout: The portraits can playback any sound Hideyoshi has heard.
- Plucky Comic Relief
- Promotion to Parent: Or at least an older brother figure to the orphans.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: During the last battle, he abandons his friends because he knows he can't beat Anon. He comes back near the end because he realized he wouldn't be able to forgive himself if his friends died. This causes him to get knocked out by one of Kosuke's attacks, saving his life by giving him one more talent before taking down Hanon.
- The Trickster
- Ventriloquism: His ability is to turn voices into portraits. By undoing the power, the portraits turn back into voices, allowing him to make his voice come from different locations. He's especially good at using it to surprise, distract, or misdirect his opponents.
- Weak, but Skilled
CelestialsKing of the Celestial WorldKobayashiInumaruMargarette
Capucho TeamCapucho / CaptionNicoUgoMario
Has the power to turn himself into a billiard ball.
Voiced by: Yui Horie
(JP), Jordan Henkleman (EN)
- Barrier Warrior: Can turn his clothing into a barrier.
- Full-Contact Magic: His Level 2 ability enables him to change his opponent's clothes into a barrier which synchronizes with his own.
- Blatant Lies: Initially claims his powers are invincibility and the power to turn his voice into a shockwave.
- Catch Phrase: "Baby"
- Incredibly Lame Pun: His ability is to turn this trope into reality, but the opponent has to laugh at his puns first in order for it to work. This is why Pastello's power works very well with his.
- Portal Door: His ability is to turn paper into this, which he uses to tickle his opponent from long-range, fulfilling Munin's limiting condition.
Team MarilynMarilyn CarreyBaronMatthewMemoryPutting
Barrow TeamBarrow EschalotVan Decout / Ban DicootDiegostarKill Norton
Robert's TenRobert HaydnCarl P. 'Carpaccio' AccioKageo Kuroki
Voiced by: Yusei Oda (JP), Jeffrey Watson (EN)Alessio Iuliano
OgreKamui RossoDonBecky WolfMarco MaldiniTaro MyojinKabaraYunpao
Voiced by: Ken Narita
(JP), Charles Heffernan (EN)
- Affably Evil: Very little about him even suggests he's evil in the first place. He only attacks Ueki when he tried to stop him from eating.
- Confusion Fu: Strike weird poses while using his power to hide the actual limiting conditions.
- Fat Bastard
- Shock and Awe: Can turn electricity into sugar. The Shock and Awe comes in when he reverts sugar back to electricity.