open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Onegai My Melody: This is one of Kuromi's tactics against My Melody.
- In a flashback in Episode 1 of Kotoura-san, one female classmate does this to Haruka. It's Played for Drama.
- Princess Mashiro does this to a trio of castle guards in the first episode of Mai-Otome, as seen in the image above.
- Ranma ˝:
- Ranma and Akane give each other the Red Eye fairly frequently.
- Ranma gave once the Red Eye to Principal Kuno; with his big toe, as his arms were tied up.
- Usagi and Rei's relationship in Sailor Moon is largely giving each other red-eye.
- Ryunosuke and Yoshimi give the Red Eye to Arisa and Kyoko at the end of the Beach Episode of All-Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku.
- In Little Witch Academia, after Akko manages to dodge some attacks from a bunch of snakes, she does this to them while in her mouse form.
- Happens at the end of the Haruhi Suzumiya episode "Someday in the Rain" by Haruhi. She also does it on the cover of the sixth novel, and the back of the DVDs in a chibi form.
- In Bubblegum Crisis, Nene Romanova uses her powered-armor's laser to scrawl a picture of someone giving a red-eye on a sidewalk, as a gesture to the military who are tracking her by spy satellite, just before ducking under a bridge to drop off her armor in a truck and walk off as a perfectly normal girl. (This must have shamed said military a great deal, because we never see them again attempt to discover the Knight Sabers' identities this way, despite them not being very subtle about heading to and from their base.)
- A couple times in Ouran High School Host Club Hikaru and Kaoru do this at the same time (in opposite eyes, no less).
- Spotted in Shaman King.
- Ino likes to do this in Naruto. Orochimaru does it once or twice, but with him it's just creepy.
- In Full Metal Panic!!, Kaname does this to Sōsuke when she ditches him (temporarily) at the train station.
- Happens in Pokémon occasionally. 4Kids inconsistently edited this out.
- An Aerodactyl does this to Ash's Charmeleon just before he evolves into Charizard.
- One of the Pichu Brothers does this to Pikachu (and spanks himself) in the short Pikachu and Pichu.
- A Phione does this to Jessie in season 12.
- Team Rocket did this on multiple occasions in season 1.
- At the end of "Clefairy and the Moon Stone," when Ash reads the sign pointing ahead to Cerulean City, he spots a message left for him by Gary. As he reads the message, an image of Gary giving this gesture briefly appears on screen. 4Kids took the image out of the dub, though.
- May does this to Max in "Tree's a Crowd".
- Jessie does it to Ash in the last Best Wishes episode.
- Agito does this to Reinforce Zwei in the ending sequence of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Striker S.
- Mylene gives Basara the Red Eye as she drives away with Basara's Transforming Mecha to have it repaired in an episode of Macross 7.
- Dita gives Jura the Red Eye in an episode of Vandread.
- Viola does this in episode 7 of Kiddy Grade.
- Happens in Dirty Pair occasionally (both in the anime and in the comics by Adam Warren).
- Dragon Ball franchise:
- Hanaukyō Maid Tai La Vérité episode 7. Yashima Sanae has been insulted by Ryuuka, who insinuates that she's giving up on the expedition. As Mariel and Yashima Sanae walk off hand in hand, Yashima gives this to Ryuuka.
- In Shinryaku! Ika Musume, Ika does this when Goro tells her and Takeru they're not supposed to be sitting in his lifeguard chair.
- Yu-Gi-Oh!: Jounouchi does this to Yami Malik after he reduces the latter's LP to 0 in the Battle City semifinal match up determining duel.
- Yu-Gi-Oh!: Capsule Monsters: Tristan makes Joey do this to an enemy monster in order to draw its attacks.
- Kaitou in Phi Brain: Puzzle of God tends to perform the act whenever declaring "It's Puzzle Time". See the anime's entry image for the exact gesture.
- Urabe does this in Mysterious Girlfriend X when Tsubaki wants to take her picture, and when she reveals she lied about having a crush on another boy when she was younger.
- In Girls und Panzer, after Erika is walking away from taunting the Oarai team, Saori does this to her.
- In Sonic X, Sonic does this while standing on the arm of one of Eggman's mechs to goad it into hitting itself. Amy also does this at one point after getting irritated by civilians watching them.
- Happens twice in anime episode 11.
- While the students are facing school discipline, Tatsuki does it to Ichigo after he resents her attempt to get out of being suspended.
- While the students are checking their academic rankings, Keigo does it to Ichigo after discovering Ichigo's high standing and calling him a nerd.
- In anime episode 337, a cartoon image of Captain Mayuri appears on the screen and does this to Kisuke Urahara each time Urahara fails to guess the Squad 12 computer system's password.
- Happens twice in anime episode 11.
- Averted with the Akanbes in Smile Pretty Cure! who have nothing to do with this trope. Some of them stick out their tongue but they don't pull down their lower eyelid.
- In Kingdom Hearts II, Kairi does this to Axel when she escapes with Pluto into the Dark Realm, leading them both to Twilight Town.
- My Neighbor Totoro sees Kanta occasionally making this gesture at Satsuki.
- In the manga version of Neon Genesis Evangelion, Asuka does this to Shinji after her initial strike against the Angel Israfel (seemingly) killed it.
- In Digimon Adventure, Mimi and Palmon do this after giving the slip to Sukamon and Chuumon.
Films — Live-Action
- Shown on the album cover for Yuko Miyamura's first album, Kenka Banchō.
- Mega Man's taunt in any crossover game he's featured in, except Super Smash Bros..
- There's an emote for this for The Voiceless cast of the second Snowboard Kids game.
- The pirate Briggs in Golden Sun: The Lost Age, while making off with a nice ship, is chided by his wife into doing what he apparently talked about all the time while in jail — give your party the Red Eye. He was apparently on the verge of chickening out. He's stolen the ship and is well on his way out to sea, and he's almost too scared of Felix for a parting gesture.
- In The King of Fighters XIII, if Kula Diamond (a 14-year-old girl who's also very childish for her age) gets upset during the pre-fight dialogues, she's shown doing this to the person she's talking to.
- In Freddi Fish and the Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds, Freddi does this at the end of the Dummied Out "Eddie Eats Luther" scene.
- An NPC does this to another NPC in Final Fantasy Tactics during one of the non-combat scenes, and it’s easy to miss if you’re mostly paying attention to the storyline.
- In Super Mario Sunshine, Shadow Mario does this to Mario, revealing an Overly Long Tongue, as he takes off to Pinna Park with Peach in tow.
- In Tekken 7, Eddie's ending has Lucky Chloe do this to him and running away after he defeats her.
- Tiny Toon Adventures: Appeared in the They Might Be Giants "Istanbul (not Constantinople)" video of the music video episode. Considering how the episode was sourced to TMS Entertainment, it may have been thrown in by the animators and kept.
- In Teen Titans, when Control Freak has been bested by the Titans East, he cries foul, zaps himself into the TV and departs with this gesture, leaving the Titans East to try and figure out what the hell just happened.
- One episode of Steven Universe has Steven do it towards Peridot while the two are arguing. Peridot returns the favor as she makes her escape.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: Limestone Pie does this in the season 5 episode "Hearthbreakers".
- Totally Spies!' Clover has done this a couple times.
- When meeting Samurai Jack for the first time, the Scotsman does a tiny bit of this ("worm-eyed") near the end of his twenty-second long insult.