Characters: Junjou Romantica
Character sheet of the series Junjou Romantica
A naive high school student determined to enter the university that his brother was unable to after the death of their parents. This leads to him being tutored by his brother's friend, Akihiko, which ends up shaking up his life considerably.
Usami "Usagi" Akihiko
"You’re mine for the rest of your life. Give up."
Voiced by: Hikaru Hanada
Famous author and member of an extremely wealthy and dysfunctional family, he harboured feelings for his friend Takahiro Takahashi for a long time, and took on tutoring his younger brother Misaki as a favour. He ends up falling for him instead.
"I'm in a gay relationship, my partner is four years my junior and worse than that, I, despite all my pride, am an uke
Childhood friend of Akihiko, Hiroki ended up heartbroken when he realized Akihiko would never return his feelings. Fortunately at that moment, Nowaki
showed up to sweep him away like a typhoon
. He eventually becomes an associate literature professor at Misaki's school, and works under Miyagi.
- Bookworm: Is one ever since his childhood (he was willing to look up the words he didn't know even if that lead to even more new words). He has such an extensive collection that books pile up higher than he is in his apartment and Akihiko borrows reference materials from him.
- Cry Cute
- Defrosting Ice King
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- In-Series Nickname: "The Demon Kamijou", courtesy of his students.
- Perpetual Frowner: One of the many things Miyagi teases him about.
- Poor Communication Kills: If only he had paid a bit more attention to what Nowaki was saying. In general his tsundereness leads to communication troubles regarding his feelings.
- Pride: There is a reason his story is called "Egoist"
- Sadist Teacher: He walks the line between a humourous version of this and the Stern Teacher. He genuinely believes he is being fair and simply has high expectations of the students. On the other hand, he throws chalk and books at them for texting or talking during class, which would probably get him assault charges in real life. They call him "the demon" for a reason.
- Sex Equals Love: He failed out on this one harshly when he slept with Akihiko hoping it would convey his feelings and that Akihiko would love him back. It really didn't. Further zigzagged in regards to his argument that he only sleeps with people he loves, as there are implications that he didn't in the past, and Akihiko and Nowaki are more the exceptions than the rule.
- Snark Knight: Has quite snappy conversations with Akihiko and Miyagi
- Throw the Book at Them: Nowaki being his most frequent victim, at least at the beginning of their relationship.
- Tsundere: A huge type A.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: To Akihiko.
"Right now, 'I want to be held' is written on Hiro-san's back."
Nowaki, found orphaned on the day of a typhoon, started working out of junior high but is determined to enter university. He falls in Love at First Sight
with Hiroki and begs him to be his tutor in order to spend time with him. Eventually he realizes both his goals and becomes a pediatrician.
- Beware the Nice Ones: When he thought Miyagi was putting the moves on Hiroki.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: If he thinks that someone is hitting on Hiroki, he suddenly becomes defensive. Akihiko just gets scorned but Miyagi nearly gets punched the one time.
- Dogged Nice Guy
- Friend to All Children: His career choice is to be a pediatrician.
- Japanese Pronoun: Addresses Hiroki both affectionately and respectfully as "Hiro-san".
- Love at First Sight
- Luminescent Blush: The only seme in the series to gain this.
- The Pollyanna: Played with. Despite being an orphan, supporting himself and constant beat downs he gets from Hiroki, he's always smiling and thinking positive.
- Poor Communication Kills: If only he had told Hiroki more clearly about his plan to study abroad. Or when he was leaving. Or that he was coming back. In general this is a problem for him.
- Second Love: For Hiroki.
- Self-Made Man: He is an orphan and has to juggle various jobs to support himself, yet this doesn't prevent him from pursuing his dream of being a pediatric doctor.
- Through His Stomach: He successfuly persuaded Hiroki to tutor him partly thanks to his cooking skills.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: So tall, dark and handsome that a chance encounter on the train inspires Misaki to go home and begin training to become taller in one of the extras.
"To the terrorist... I admit defeat."
An accomplished but somewhat listless literature professor at M. university who is Hiroki's senior. Some time after his wife leaves him following her affair with another man, her little brother shows up in his life demanding that he "take responsibility" because he loves him.
- Absent-Minded Professor: if you enter his office, you will never find your way out. Not without a map.
- Ascended Extra: Originally meant to be a minor character in the Egoist story, but eventually got his own story because he became so popular with fans.
- Bi the Way
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: It's hard to believe that he is a prominent figure among literary researchers at first since he hardly works on screen. Hiroki has commented on this.
- His Story Repeats Itself: Miyagi's situation with Shinobu mirrors his story with his teacher in the past, with him switching roles. He is interested in literature because of his teacher, thus becoming her Spear Counterpart.
- Hot for Teacher: His first romance was this.
- Karma Houdini: During the time when Hiroki and Nowaki were having serious problems, Miyagi intercepts a message Nowaki wants to leave for Hiroki to tell him he's going to be late meeting him. Miyagi never passes along this message, and by doing this Hiroki suffers a massive Heroic BSOD and his relationship with Nowaki is almost fractured beyond repair. Yet this isn't ever brought up again, and Hiroki and Nowaki have no idea he did this.
- May-December Romance: On both sides of the trope with his two love interests.
- Smoking Is Cool
- Snark Knight
- Stepford Smiler: A mild version. He acts happy-go-lucky and teasing, especially around his junior co-worker Hiroki, but he has been unable to move on since his teacher died.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- The Tease: Towards Hiroki.
"I want you to take responsibility."
On his way to his sister's wedding, he is attacked by punks until Miyagi comes to his rescue. Shinobu thinks it's destiny and they are meant to be together until he finds out that Miyagi is his sister's fiance. When they get divorced he comes back to Japan because that
must be destiny.
- Catch Phrase: "It's fate".
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Compared to Akihiko and Nowaki, it's mainly played for laughs.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Dogged Nice Guy: verges on Stalker with a Crush in places when he's trying to get Miyagi to go out with him.
- Expy: He looks like Hisoka from Descendants of Darkness.
- Gratuitous English: YEAH, I WAS ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING.
- Hot-Blooded: When he isn't snarking at everything, he's usually yelling.
- Insane Troll Logic: Borders on this with regard to why Miyagi should be in a relationship with him.
- Insufferable Genius: he is supremely confident that he will get into the best university in Japan... And he's right. That said, though, he seems to continuously hold the Idiot Ball when it comes to relationships. So, in other words, he's very similar to Usagi.
- Just Ignore It/Somebody Else's Problem:He thinks that the problem of their 17-year age gap is basically nonexistent, and he doesn't care one bit that he's the son of Miyagi's boss! He also thinks the fact that Miyagi is concerned about any of this is stupid. Miyagi has a very different opinion.
- Lethal Chef: Besides making cabbages, he can't cook anything else. And he is still working on cooking those competently.
- Perpetual Frowner
- Rescue Romance: Fell for Miyagi after the latter rescued him from some street punks on the day of Miyagi and his sister's wedding.
- Second Love: For Miyagi.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Unless it concerns Miyagi, he will not go into deredere mode.
- Teen Genius
- Through His Stomach: He tried this tactics to win Miyagi over. However...
The son of a wealthy family that runs a publishing business, which he only entered because he had a knack for it and couldn't hack it as a writer. Crosses into the Romantica storyline as another editor of Akihiko's, and was the person who convinced him to publish as a teenager.
- Beleaguered Assistant: Like Aikawa, he has to deal with Akihiko's idiosyncracies on a regular basis.
- Brilliant but Lazy: He still gets his work done, but very few people alive have ever seen that process occur.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Seen more in Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi than Junjou, but he has some really strange and frustrating...er, "quirks" that constantly leave his staff in a state of heightened irritability. Unfortunately he is just that good, so he's not going anywhere.
- Character Overlap: Appears in Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi as the director of the publishing company the protagonists work for.
- Hidden Depths: He acts goofy and is generally a pain to people around him. But he is smart, very perceptive and can be manipulative when necessary.
- Imaginary Love Triangle: He irrationally assumes Asahina is in love with his father instead of himself.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Towards the end of the Mistake storyline he proves the reason he keeps Asahina around isn't because he can't take care of himself, but because he is emotionally dependent on him.
- Manipulative Bastard: he didn't just get where he is by being a great editor. Borders often on Magnificent Bastard territory when it comes to manipulating other people's lives. And screwing with Ritsu's sense of self-worth.
- The Obstructive Love Interest: One of the reasons why their story is called "Mistake".
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: with Asahina... even 10+ years after they get together.
- Smug Smiler: This combined with his confrontational personality when people complain about his success at work means he makes a lot more enemies than friends.
"Why are you always doing things to trouble me?! Is it that much fun?"
As his family was about to commit suicide together due to bankruptcy, Isaka's father found them and hired them, leading to Asahina becoming playmate to Isaka and eventually a sort of caretaker. His gratefulness to Isaka's father leads to Isaka misunderstanding just who he has feelings for.
Aikawa Eri - Romantica
Voiced by: Noriko Namiki
Akihiko's beleaguered editor.
- Ascended Fangirl: She was a fan of Akihiko before becoming his editor. This can also be considered Blessed with Suck due to her charge being a Bunny-Ears Lawyer.
- Beleaguered Assistant: She has to work with Akihiko, but she is tough enough to cope with her work and even profits from it
- Beware the Nice Ones: A kind, welcoming and beautiful woman...who hides a fierce streak that is especially visible when Akihiko doesn't respect his deadlines.
- Fag Hag: With the added benefit of being genuinely attractive, somewhat intelligent and very supportive of Akihiko's relationship with Misaki, which makes for a refreshing positive portrayal of this character type.
- Hello, Nurse!: She is actually very beautiful herself.
- One of Us: Because of her being a Yaoi Fangirl and mostly staying out of the way, she doesn't have the typical Hatedom female characters usually garner in Yaoi series.
- Yaoi Fangirl: To a devilish degree!
Takahashi Takahiro - Romantica
Voiced by: Kishou Taniyama
Misaki's elder brother and Akihiko's first love.
Usagi's older half-
- Beneath the Mask
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Almost all his interactions with Misaki screams this.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Eventually adopts this attitude.
- Not Blood Siblings: He and Akihiko have different mothers. His mother was their father's lover.
- Missing Mom: He was taken into the Usami family when he was in junior high school after his mother's death.
- Not So Different: After talking with him, Misaki believes despite how different they look or how much they may dislike one another, the Usami brothers actually have a lot more in common than they think.
- Stoic Spectacles
- Sugar and Ice Personality: He seems like he has no emotions whatsoever, but later chapters reveal that he may actually be in love with Misaki, and is willing to do anything to make sure that Misaki is happy.
Usami Fuyuhiko - Romantica
Father of Akihiko and Haruhiko. Married into the Usami family.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Despite being all smiles, he went from constantly trying to guilt Misaki into leaving Akihiko, to outright telling him his existence is a hindrance then getting him to doubt his self-worth.
- Papa Wolf: It's obvious he cares very much for his sons and tries to do whatever he can to keep them from being hurt. However, he can be a real Jerk Ass about it. When he learns Haruhiko has feelings for Misaki, he tricks Kaoruko into coming back to Japan so the two could be engaged and; despite knowing Akihiko's feelings for Misaki (and being told to stay out of his business), Fuyuhiko still brings match-making photos for brides. His excuse? He knows what's best.
Usami Kaoruko - Romantica
Akihiko's cousin who takes an interest in Misaki.
Ijuuin Kyou - Romantica
Creator of The Kan
, Misaki's favorite manga.
- The Cameo: During the New Years Eve party in Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi.
- Fan Nickname: Pedojuuin.
- Foil: To Akihiko. Akihiko has light hair and eyes, and typically wears suits while Ijuuin has dark hair and eyes, and dresses casually (the one time we do see him in a suit, even his suit is opposite). Unlike with Akihiko, Misaki reads Ijuuin's works and has no problem openly declaring his "love" for him.
- He Cleans Up Nicely: Looks like an absolute wreck whenever the deadlines for his manga are near (think the Emerald guys from Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi during the last days of their cycle), but is actually very, very handsome.
- Love at First Sight / Love Epiphany: What he claims his first meeting with Misaki at Marukawa Publishing was.
- Red String of Fate: After meeting Misaki again three years later at the autographing session.
- Love Confession: As of Act 31
- Men Can't Keep House: When Misaki goes to drop off some gifts to Ijuuin's apartment, he's warned about how messy it will be. While it is indeed messy, Misaki's seen worse...
- No Sense of Personal Space: Towards Misaki to the point that even he can tell something's off.
- Shotacon: Misaki is hardly a little boy but Ijuuin still gives off this vibe when interacting with him. Needless to say Akihiko does not take kindly to him. At all.
- Snark-to-Snark Combat: Almost every time he and Akihiko meet.
- Especially during their interview where they're asked about their thoughts on each others works.
- Stalker with a Crush: His first few run ins with Misaki really could have been coincidence, but the increasing frequency of which he just so happens to now is a bit...suspect.