Characters: Dark Forces Saga
For the main Star Wars Expanded Universe character index, click here.A List of notable characters from the Dark Forces Saga.
open/close all folders
Voiced/portrayed by: Nick Jameson (Dark Forces), Jason Court (Jedi Knight, FMV and voice), C. Andrew Nelson (Jedi Knight, FMV hand and feet close-ups), Rino Romano (Mysteries of the Sith), Jeff Bennett (Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy), Brian Bascale (Empire at War), Randal Berger (audio dramatizations)The main character of the saga. Kyle started as an Imperial soldier before finding out that the Empire was behind the death of his father, after which he defected and became a mercenary serving the Rebellion and later the New Republic against the Empire, especially when it came to tasks of infiltration and sabotage, as his inside knowledge of the layout of Imperial ships and bases gave him an advantage. In the second title, Kyle became a Jedi and was charged with the task of defending the legendary Valley of the Jedi on Rusaan. He appears as a NPC and, in the dark ending, as a Bonus Boss during the events of Jedi Academy.
- Bad Powers, Good People: He can use Dark Side powers like Grip and Force Lightning, but is still on the side of good.
- Bonus Boss: In Jedi Academy, if you've chosen the Dark Side ending. And you're fighting in order to escape him.
- Breakout Character: One of the few video game characters to appear in the main expanded universe and easily one of the most prominent of them.
- Combat Pragmatist: Being a Jedi doesn't stop him from carrying blasters, disruptor rifles and thermal detonators along with his lightsaber. Not to mention that he makes use of both Light and Dark Side powers.
- The Chosen One: He, Jan, and as of Jedi Outcast, Luke, are the only people who know the location of the Valley of the Jedi.
- Deadpan Snarker: Characters, situations, tropes... very little is safe from his snarking.
- Escort Mission: In some areas of Academy. Rather than guiding him to the next spot, you have to walk to the next objective while he calmly chops up every enemy in his path when he isn't dropping them into deep pits or using Force Lightning For Massive Damage on Hazard Troopers.
- Fan Nickname: God
- Final Boss: In the bad ending of Academy and in Mysteries of the Sith, although in the latter you must unequip your lightsaber.
- Genre Savvy: He seems to be well-versed in first-person shooter tropes by Jedi Academy.Kyle: They always lock the door. You’d think they’d have learned by now. Doesn’t look like there’s a key – that would be too easy. The console to unlock the door is probably hidden in some room twelve floors up or something... how does that make sense?
- Good Old Fisticuffs: He even uses it during the dark-side ending boss fight with him in Academy.
- The Gunslinger: Before becoming a Jedi, he mainly used guns.
- Hopeless Boss Fight: He cannot be defeated either time he's fought. The best even power-mad dark side Jaden can do is inconvenience him long enough to run away.
- Laser Blade: Started out with a green lightsaber in Jedi Knight, then a yellow one (courtesy of Yun), and finally a blue one in Outcast and Academy.
- Made of Iron: Kyle survived being impaled by a lightsaber through the chest (and then having an infection get a hold of that wound) during the Legacy of the Force saga.
- Master Swordsman: To the point he holds the title Jedi Battlemaster. Most obvious in Jedi Academy when Jaden fights alongside him.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After killing Maw in anger.
- The Musketeer: After becoming a Jedi, he continued using those guns as necessary; excluding his later students, he's one of the only post-Empire Jedi in the entire series to do this.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: In Outcast, he returns to the Valley of the Jedi in order to regain his powers to fight Desann. By doing so, he allowed Desann to follow him, reach the Valley and use the Force Nexus to power him up and create the Reborn.
- One-Man Army: The amount of enemies he hacks, blasts, and punches his way through over the course of the series is quite immense.
- Puzzle Boss: Trying to defeat him in combat at the end of Mysteries of the Sith is pretty hopeless. However a hieroglyph on the wall of the boss room provides a hint on how to win...
- It's the one of a woman kneeling with her lightsaber deactivated on the ground in front of her.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: When Desann and Tavion apparently kill Jan.
- Superpowered Evil Side: During the events in Mysteries of the Sith, he falls victim to the Dark Force Nexus in the Temple on Dromund Kaas.
- Weapon of Choice: His Lightsaber and Bryar blaster pistol.
Voiced/portrayed by: Julie Eccles (Dark Forces), Angela Harry (Jedi Knight), Vanessa Marshall (Jedi Outcast), Mo Collins (audio dramatizations)A space pilot and partner of Kyle Katarn. She helped him in many situations. She's the only other person who knows the location of the Valley of The Jedi.
- Action Girl
- Big Damn Heroes: Her first appearance in Jedi Knight consists of her saving Kyle.
- Demoted to Extra: She doesn't appear at all in Academy besides two short mentions by Kyle.
- Disney Death: In Outcast.
- Distressed Damsel: In Jedi Knight she's captured by Jerec and kept as a hostage.
- The Lancer: To Kyle.
- Official Couple: With Kyle.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: If you choose the Dark Side in Jedi Knight, Kyle kills her when he finds out that she's been captured.
Voiced by: Philip Tanzini (male), Jennifer Hale (female)Kyle's student and the main character of Jedi Academy, Jaden is a youth full of talent from Coruscant who managed to build a lightsaber by himself. He's sent to Luke's Jedi Academy on Yavin in order to learn the ways of the Force. Players can choose different races and genders for Jaden, but canonically, he's a male human with a purple (later green) standard lightsaber. Jaden has since stared in two EU novels, Crosscurrent and Riptide, set nearly 30 years after the game.
- AFGNCAAP: You can choose six different models (male and female human, male Kel-Dor, male Rodian, female Twi-lek and female Zabrak)
- The Atoner: Following his actions during the Battle of Centerpoint, in which he ordered a deck be spaced to quickly clear his strike team a path even though there were civilians inside. He takes a leave of absence from the Jedi Order to sort everything out.
- Bad Powers, Good People: Like Kyle, he can learn both Light Side and Dark Side powers. However, Luke and Kyle will warn you if you focus only on Dark Side powers.
- Deadpan Snarker: Not as much as Kyle, but he does have his moments.
- Double Weapon: After his mission on Vjun, he can build a double-bladed lightsaber.
- Dual Wielding: Or he can learn this.
- Face-Heel Turn: If the player decides kill Rosh, Jaden turns to the Dark Side.
- Fingore: He loses three fingers in a lightsaber duel during Crosscurrent.
- Green-Skinned Space Babe: If you choose Twi'lek.
- Ms. Fanservice: Female Jaden, particularly as a Twi'lek.
- The Musketeer: Like Kyle, he always at least takes his lightsaber and a DL-44 blaster pistol with him on missions, along with using various other guns he procures during them.
Portrayed by: Bennet GuilloryA Jedi knight killed by Jerec. His spirit guides Kyle during his journey to the Valley of the Jedi.
- Badass: Despite his low chances of survival, he fought back all seven dark Jedi at once and even bisected Maw in a single blow.
- Bald of Awesome
- Black Dude Dies First
- Mr. Exposition: Before each boss fight, he describes Kyle's opponent.
- Sacrificial Lion: Killed by Jerec in the first cutscene of the game.
- Spirit Advisor: To Kyle.
- What the Hell, Hero?: He stops helping you if you choose the dark side.
Voiced/portrayed by: Jacob Witkin (Jedi Knight, Jedi Outcast), David Chase (Dark Forces audio dramas)Kyle's father, an old man sensitive to the Force and a leader of the Rebellion. He was slain by Jerec. His ghost later appears to both Luke and Kyle. He knew the location of the Valley of the Jedi and made a map built inside the stone roof of his lab.
Dark Trooper Project
Moff RebusThe paranoid imperial scientist working on the Dark Trooper project, in order to create invincible warriors for the Empire.
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer: Where his lab is located, which spans an entire level, featuring large rooms and twisting passages.
- Evil Genius
- Mad Scientist
- Properly Paranoid
- Slouch of Villainy
Voiced by: Jack Angel (Dark Forces), Tim Russell (Dark Forces: Soldier for the Empire audio adaptation)The Big Bad of the first game and the man behind the Dark Trooper project. He fight Kyle on his ship using the Phase III Dark Trooper armor.
It has been a long time since I've challenged a man to battle. I'm glad my opponent is so worthy.
Seven Dark Jedi
Portrayed by: Rafer Weigel
Yun, a young and willing Dark Jedi; the newest addition to the cause. Brash and eager, he is ready to prove himself to his dark master at any cost. These elements make him a dangerous and unpredictable foe.The youngest member of the Dark Jedi, an Epicanthix with a yellow lightsaber. Is fought by Kyle in Jerec's Palace at Barons Hed, but is spared. If you choose the light side path he makes a Heel-Face Turn, performs a Heroic Sacrifice and give his lightsaber to Kyle.
- Ambition Is Evil: He's pretty ambitious on his own.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: He's extremely puzzled when Kyle spares him after their fight.
- Good Powers, Bad People: Can use Persuasion and Blind.
- Heel-Face Turn: If you choose the Light Side.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Get sliced by Sariss when he saves a weaponless Kyle, and gives him his own lightsaber.
- Human Aliens: He's actually an Epicanthix, an alien species with resistance to telepathy.
- Love Makes You Evil: He was seduced by Sariss into killing his father and joining the Dark Jedi.
Picaroon C. "Pic" Boodle
Voiced by: Denny Delk
It is a mystery why one would call Gorc and Pic twins. Even though one is a miniature version of the other, they look nothing alike...they also don't battle alike. Pic is the energy and Gorc the counter. They are the clashing balance of opposites, one the voice, the other the body. This combination is deadly.A modified Kowakian monkey-lizard who became sensitive to the Force. He's a tiny Jedi warrior who's always seen with Gorc. He and his "brother" attack Kyle on the Suulon's Star when he tries to recover 8t88's head. Wields an orange lightsaber.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Odd Couple: He and Gorc are also known as the Sith Brothers despite being of different species.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse
- Villainous Valor: He really cares about Gorc, considers him his "little brother" and always tries to protect him.
GorcA modified Gamorrean who became sensitive to the Force. He's a huge warrior who fights with Pic. Wields a gargantuan orange lightsaber.
Portrayed by: Morgan Hunter
To the one called Maw; a bitter individual, who loathes all and holds loyalty to few. A strong and formidable foe, for every cord of muscle there is hatred. It is this hate that keeps his aging body strong.One of the vilest Dark Jedi, was cut in half by Rahn but managed to survive. He uses the Dark Force to float in the air and fights with a blood red lightsaber. He fights Kyle on Russaan and gets killed, almost pushing Kyle towards the Dark Side.
- Evil Laugh
- Half the Man He Used to Be
- Kill Him Already: He taunts Kyle into killing him and is successful.
- Power Floats
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge
- Would You Like to Hear How They Died?: Uses this as his means of enticing Kyle to kill him.
Portrayed by: Valerie Wildman
Out of all the Dark Jedi I have met Sariss is the one I can say I fear. Powerful, strong in both the physical and mental arenas of the Force, she is a master, a perfectionist, quiet and reserved. This makes her a very dangerous foe.Jerec's right hand woman, a cold temptress who serves her master with uncanny devotion. Has a blue lightsaber. She sides with Kyle in the Dark Side ending.
- Ascended Extra: Retconned in 2005 to be a background character in A New Hope. One of the Star Wars RPG books even includes a picture of her in her robes from the first movie, wielding her lightsaber. One of the few characters to appear in another video game series due to the movie footage being used in Rogue Squadron II or III.
- Badass: Rahn fears her, and she's considerably more difficult than the rematch with Yun.
- Blondes Are Evil
- Dark Action Girl
- Death Glare: Literally; she has the ability to use the ultimate Dark Side ability, Deadly Sight, on Kyle.
- The Dragon: To Jerec. And then to Kyle in the Dark Side ending
- Femme Fatale
- Master Swordswoman
Bocas "Boc" Eca
Portrayed by: Time Winters
I can't abide this creature named Boc! He is one of the few that actually uses two lightsabers in battle. He is a crude individual that lacks both tact, and teeth. Only a Dark Jedi can he be.A perverse Twi'lek jedi serving Jerec. An insane warrior who fights with a large purple lightsaber (actually two held together). He's killed by Kyle in the Valley of the Jedi.
- Co-Dragons: With Sariss.
- Dual Wielding: But only for special occasions.
- Laughing Mad
- Lightning Bruiser: His fighting style involves jumping around a lot.
- Psychopathic Manchild
- Punny Name: "Bocas Seca" means "Dry Mouth" in Spanish.
Portrayed by: Christopher Neame
His heavy brow overshadows the empty recesses that normally embrace eyes. Jerec has the uncanny power to absorb and overshadow one's connection to the Force...like a dark cloud. A deep, empowering grasp of your will is what you need.The leader of the Dark Jedi, is a Miraluka Jedi with great power and ambition. He seeks for the location of the Valley of the Jedi in order to absorb its power and become an almighty being capable of eradicating star systems with a whisper.
- A God Am I: His final objective.
- Bald of Evil
- Big Bad
- Evil Overlord
- Handicapped Badass: Being a Miraluka he's blind, but can sense people and items with the Force.
- Kill Him Already: Attempted on Kyle, who simply gave him back his lightsaber and struck him down with a counterattack.
- Large Ham
- Laser-Guided Karma: He wanted the power of the Valley and ended up being part of it.
Voiced by: Mark KlastorinFormer Jedi under Luke, is a powerful Chistori who turned to the Dark Side. He despises the weak, and plans to eradicate the Jedi once and for all using the Force Nexus in the Valley of the Jedi to create an army of "Reborn", Force-sensitive warriors with Jedi-like powers.
- Bad Boss: Implied to be prone to You Have Failed Me moments quite often.
- Big Bad
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Delivers one to Kyle on Artus Prime.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Because of his unusual Force powers, he was mistreated and bullied as a child.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: When Kyle offer him redemption, he simply refuses and calls him weak.
- Evil Sounds Deep
- Freudian Excuse: See Dark and Troubled Past above.
- Hopeless Boss Fight: The first encounter with him.
- Jerkass: When he was a Jedi at the academy.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: In hindsight, it wasn't such a good idea to falsely execute Jan, since Kyle became stronger than ever after visiting the Valley of the Jedi.
- The Social Darwinist: So much that he murdered his sparring partner in the Academy for being too weak.
- Villainous Breakdown: Has one when he realizes that his plan has failed and that most of his Reborn were stopped.
- We Can Rule Together: Makes this offer to Kyle at one point. Kyle counters by offering him redemption.
- Worthy Opponent: Sees Luke and later Kyle as this.
Voiced by: Kath SoucieA Dark Jedi serving Desann as his right hand woman. She's defeated by Kyle on Bespin and forced to escape. She reappears in Academy as the new Big Bad bent on gather enough energy in Ragnos' scepter in order to resurrect the legendary Sith Lord Marka Ragnos.
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: Pleads for her life when Kyle defeats her.
- Dark Action Girl
- Demonic Possession: She's eventually possessed by Ragnos' ghost.
- Dirty Coward: She begs Kyle to let her go when she's defeated and clearly states that she doesn't want to die. By Academy she's gotten over this, where in the Dark Side ending she instead begs Jaden to finish her off.
- The Dragon: To Desann.
- Dragon Ascendant: In Jedi Academy.
- Dual Wielding: A lightsaber and the Scepter of Ragnos during her boss fight.
- Took a Level in Badass: In Jedi Academy.
Admiral Galak Fyyar
Voiced by: Steve BlumOfficer of the Remnants and ally of Desann. He's an evil genius working for the Dark Jedi. He sends his men mining for Force Crystals and Cortosis (a metal resistant to lightsabers) in order to procure material for the anti-Jedi Reborn. He eventually faces Kyle on his spaceship, the Doomgiver, but is bested.
- Barrier Warrior: He can use a barrier shield to protect himself.
- Evil Genius
- Evil Gloating: He gets so wrapped-up in his speech that Kyle eventually just destroys the shield generator he was guarding while he's distracted.Fyyar: Worlds will tremble, stars will shudder—Kyle: [throws lightsabre into power generator] Your shields will fall.
- General Ripper
- Large Ham
- Power Armor: His battlesuit.
- Smug Snake: He's not nearly as good as he thinks he is. Also, despite Desann clearly outranking him, he has some serious delusions about becoming "Ruler of a new Galactic Empire" himself.
Voiced by: Kevin Michael RichardsonA Rodian gangster from Nar Shaddaa. He supplied Desann with thugs, who took over Bespin, for money.
Voiced by: Peter LurieThe ancient and now mummified Sith Lord. He eventually possesses Tavion in order to return to life, but is stopped by Jaden Korr.
- Beard of Evil: Or it might just be a flesh protrusion since he's a member of the Sith species.
- Bigger Bad
- Demonic Possession: Pulls it off on Tavion.
- Humanoid Abomination
Voiced by: Grey DeLisleA red-skinned Twi'lek Sith serving Tavion as her new apprentice.
- The Dragon: To Tavion.
- Dual Wielding: One of the "many things" Tavion teaches her between her two boss fights apparently includes how to use two lightsabers at once.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Ninja: Her first feat onscreen is infiltrating Luke's chambers and stealing valuable information.
- Red Skinned Space Babe
- You Have Failed Me: Cuts Rosh's arm off when Jaden spares him.
Dasariah and Vil Kothos
Voiced by: Peter LurieTwo high ranking members of the Disciples of Ragnos.
Voiced by: Denny DelkA droid appearing in Jedi Knight as a ruthless dealer of information and knowledge. He's hired by Kyle Katarn to learn the truth about his father and is later hired by Jerec in order to find out the location for the Valley of the Jedi. He gets decapitated by Pic and Gorc when he asks for his reward.
- Fantastic Racism: He hates humans and delights himself in being served by "organic creatures" just like people are usually served by droids.
- Knowledge Broker: "When someone desires information, they come to me."
- Off with His Head!: Which is later used by Kyle to see the map to Ruusan.
- Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves
- Right-Hand Attack Dog: In the novel of the game he's followed by a huge, wolf-like monster called Grendel.
- Shout-Out: Pronounce his name, and you get 8088. The 8088 was an early Intel microprocessor.
- Smug Snake
Ka'pa' the Hutt
Voiced by: Roger JacksonA Hutt crimelord who decided to cooperate with the New Republic in order to avoid trouble. He helps Mara Jade in her quest in Mysteries of the Sith after she helps him against his rival Takara.
- Dirty Coward
- Genre Savvy: Ever since Jabba's demise, he's extremely careful when dealing with Jedi.
- Heel-Face Turn: He decided to support the New Republic in order to avoid troubles with the Jedi.
Voiced by: Jason MarsdenOne of the students of the Jedi Academy and rookie member who trains with Jaden. Later, he falls to the Dark Side and can be redeemed (Light Side) or killed (Dark Side).