open/close all folders
The Ministry of Magic
Department of Magical Law Enforcement
Head of the Improper Use of MagicFather of Healer Arcturus Hollingbury, Mordecai is a figure of authority determined to keep the Statute of Secrecy safe. Has an interest in Muggle law and believes Muggles should be treated fairly.
- Badass Beard
- Badass Bookworm: He both has an encyclopedic knowledge of wizarding law and is a competent duelist.
- British Stuffiness: Despite looking and speaking like one at work, Mordecai subverts this - he is friendly and welcoming outside of work. Whether there is trust or not is a different matter.
- Deadpan Snarker: Mordecai can be this.
- Over Protective Dad: Subverted; Mordecai will actually leave his family to deal with their own problems if he thinks they don't need the help from him, and never tries to interfere with their opinions and decision-making. He is more of a
- Papa Wolf: Do not touch his family.
- Skunk Stripe: Only at the temples and his central parting, though.
- Spot of Tea: Sans china tea set, whenever Mordecai offers drinks, the first option will inevitably be tea.
First Year Trainee, formerly of HufflepuffDescription
First Year Trainee, formerly of HufflepuffDescription
First Year Trainee, formerly of Hufflepuff
First Year Trainee, formerly of DurmstrangThe adopted daughter of the Estonian Liason to the Ministry. She's prone to partying and is usually quite friendly, but she's also got a violent streak, some buried anger issues, a past she doesn't want to live up to, and a tendency to flirt with everyone in the room.
- Berserk Button: Yes, it's technically her real name, but for the love of god do not call her Aaliyah.
- Bi the Way
- Combat Pragmatist: She's trained in martial arts and is not above throwing away her wand to take people down by hand.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Ethical Slut: "...Eha had no interest in becoming 'the Other Woman.' Unless there was a threesome involved."
- Every Scar Has a Story: Hers involves kidnapping and burning fingerprints off so she couldn't be identified.
- Fun with Foreign Languages: Slips into Estonian and/or Russian on occasion, due to speaking one at home and another at school. She also speaks Arabic, but the origin of that does away with the 'fun' bit pretty quick.
- Good Bad Girl
- Guilty Pleasures: She loves the Eurovision Song Contest. Cheers on Estonia every year.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Just a leetle. Every time she's shown off-duty she's got hard liquor in her hand. Except on Sundays.
- Suppressed Rage
- They're Called Personal Issues for a Reason
Department of Magical Co-Operation
Department of Mysteries
Other Departments and Staff
Hogwarts Faculty Members
Astronomy ProfessorProfessor of Astronomy, Tapendra advocates Muggle views and techniques over those of the Wizarding World, and as such has garnered both disapproval and agreement. Joining the school in January, replacing Demetrius Woolfolk.His sister and daughter attend the school: Cyhirae, his daughter, is a first year Ravenclaw and his sister Georgiana is a 7th year Slytherin.
- Apologizes a Lot
- Beware the Nice Ones: He's hard to get angry...but we can't recommend you try it.
- Big Eater
- Bookworm: Published author and prolific reader. Enjoys cheesy romance novels.
- Buxom Is Better: In his mind, anyhow.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead
- Does Not Like Shoes: Goes barefoot most of the time, though often finds himself regretting it.
- Doting Parent: To both Cyhirae and Georgiana, most of the time; but can fall into Over Protective Dad sometimes, especially with Georgiana's boyfriends.
- Everyone Hates Mathematics: Except him - he loves it. Seems convinced long lectures in the middle of the night are the best way to teach it.
- House Husband: Was one even before his wife's death; after her death, went full blown into it to take care of the girls. He enjoys it, however, so frankly doesn't care if he might get looked down on for it.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Ignan Storm, which he's the younger party. Can overlap into Parental Substitute as well.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover
- Morality Pet: To Ignan Storm.
- Muggles Do It Better: In his eyes, anyhow. He's a little too far on the muggle side to really get the 'big picture' though he has yet to fully realize this.
- Naïve Newcomer: Was new to Hogwarts as a teacher, and was boggled by the mess of changes that had occurred. He's getting used to it - but certainly isn't helping much with the cleanup.
- Never Got To Say Good Bye: When his wife died suddenly, and when his mother left. Something of an angst-generator, though he tries not to worry too much about it.
- Oblivious to Love: Unless it's really, really overt; even then, he tends to try and ignore it once he actually clues in (which can take awhile).
- Odd Friendship: Again, with Ignan Storm.
- Papa Wolf: Don't hurt his kids. Seriously.
- Parental Abandonment: Suffered it; his mother had a Freak-Out and fled overseas when he was 17, leaving him with his infant sister, and leading to...
- Promotion to Parent
- Stepford Smiler: Had elements of this; he smiles almost constantly due to a Think Happy Thoughts coping mechanism. Can easy head into creepy.
- Stern Teacher: Despite his nice nature, he hates having his classes disrupted; often runs his classes, even if they're with 12 year olds, like a college lecture course.
- Stoic Spectacles
- Stroke the Beard: A habit of his; doesn't make him look particularly wise, however.
- Sweet Tooth: Given the choice between sweet and anything else, he's going to go for the sugar.
- White Sheep: Not an extreme example, but the rest of his blood-related family is...not much like him, at all. Especially his mother.
Ancient Runes ProfessorDescription header, basic information, image
Charms ProfessorDescription header, basic information, image
Defense Against the Dark Arts ProfessorDescription header, basic information, image
- Crossword Puzzle: Makes a note to always do them in the mornings.
Professor of Potions | Potions MistressA former magical perfumer and Beauxbatons alumnus, Juliette was hired by her cousin Hogwarts Headmistress Analiza Snark to teach potions beginning in the spring 2009 semester.Juliette was raised in England but schooled in her parents' native France during the war against Voldemort. She has close ties in Paris, where she keeps an apartment.
Hogwarts CaretakerCaretaker of Hogwarts Castle. He’s a lion. No, seriously.He is a prideful animagus who experimented with developing a technique to allow animagi to speak in their animal form. He technically succeeded but is now stuck in the form of a lion with no way to change back. Following six years of failed treatment at Saint Mungo’s he has come to Hogwarts in the hopes that transfiguration experts like Professor McGonagall may one day be able to return him to his human form.
- Genius Bruiser: Prior to his Mode Lock, he was a pretty burly human and expert in Transfiguration. Now he’s all that stuck in the body of a lion.
- The Mind Is a Plaything of the Body: He’s definitely got animal instincts pulling at him. How much sway they actually have is a matter of no small debate.
- Papa Wolf: He’s protective of the school and gentle with the first-years.
1st Year Students (2009- 2010 school year)
GryffindorThe son that Lupin and Tonks left behind at the end of Deathly Hallows. An enthusiastic young metamorphmagus, Ted loves to be the center of attention but hates when that attention comes from his extended family's reputation rather than his own merits.
- Badass Family: His de facto extended family includes most of the canon protagonists.
- Canine Companion: Padfoot II, a puppy he befriended as a young child who has now followed him to Hogwarts. May or may not be a Hellhound. The sub-plot is even titled A Boy and His Dog.
- Expressive Hair: He usually keeps it under control, but sudden shocks or scares can knock the color in and out of his hair.
- Heroic Resolve: Ted manages to stay calm in the Boggart-ridden Lost Dungeons primarily out of concern for his friends.
- Honorary Uncle: He’s got five of them in the Weasley boys.
- I Am Not My Father: Or his godfather, for that matter.
- Kaleidoscope Hair: Taking after his mum, he changes his hair color and style on a day-to-day basis.
- Lunacy: Full moons drive him a little nuts. It's currently unclear as to whether he's actually hearing something when the moon 'sings' or if it's just minor moon-sickness brought on by the werewolf blood.
- Master of Disguise: Aspires to become one
- Oblivious to Love: At least until his face gets accidentally transfigured onto a pumpkin.
- Orphan's Plot Trinket: Of a sort. His mother left behind several journals about growing up a metamorphmagi. Ted refers to them on a regular basis.
- Parental Substitute: His gran and, to a certain extent, his godfather Harry Potter.
- Raised by Grandparents: Namely his grandmother, Andromeda Tonks.
- The Reliable One
- Totally Not a Werewolf: Gets a double-dose of this thanks to being Remus Lupin’s son. He does have some werewolf-like quirks and mood-swings, though.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Naturally
Roland "Rou" Dylanis X
HufflepuffSon of an American Auror and a Welsh pureblood, Roland was born during the Second Wizarding War while his father was on assignment from the American Magical Government in Britain: monitoring the Voldemort Crisis, as they called it, on their behalf for the possibility of Voldemort going to war with the United States once he'd conquered Britain. After his father and mother were hunted down by Snatchers, as the last thing Voldemort wanted was America intervening in his conquest of Britain, Rou was rescued by his grandfather, Roland Dylanis IX, and has been growing up in Swansea, Wales ever since the end of the Second Wizarding War. Despite his nontraditional parentage, Rou was slated for Hogwarts from birth.
- Child Soldier: Has elements of this in his upbringing by Grandpa Roland. When Rou's home, he's either intensely studying magical theory beyond his age, training his body and mind in order to keep his physical and magical abilities at peak condition, or being grilled by his grandfather on what he learned at Hogwarts the previous year in order to keep him on top of his schoolwork. Rou is twelve years-old.
- Odd Friendship: With Aoife Moffett and Ted Lupin. Rou is reclusive and introverted as a result of his rather stressful upbringing by his grandfather. Aoife and Ted are outgoing kids who always seem to drag him into one small adventure after another. And if it's not them, it's some other classmate of Rou's that winds up dragging him from his preferred sitting spot by the lake.
- Parental Abandonment: Not of their own choice, though. Robert Dylanis and Sian Bowen were "persons of interest" to the Voldemort regime due to Robert being a foreign agent serving as his government's eyes and ears on the Crisis. As a result, he was hunted across Britain during the initial months of the Second Wizarding War and was finally tracked down and killed, along with his wife, by a party of Snatchers led by Fenrir Greyback.
- Separated by a Common Language: Rou was born in Wales but was raised by his American grandfather, as a result much of his manner of speaking has a blend of British and American dialects, leaning more towards American.
SlytherinThe granddaughter of one of Voldemort's earliest followers, Dione is a traditional blood purist through and through. A childhood accident left her mute, so she can only communicate through sign language and a magical translation artifact. She might seem vulnerable, but she's actually a snake in the grass, so watch out.
- Adult Fear: How Dione lost her voice – in the split second she was out of sight, she managed to down a caustic cleaning potion that nearly killed her. Inspired by numerous real-life tragedies.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing
- Cute Mute: What she pretends to be.
- Dance Battler: When dueling, though it's more of a ballet than the usual examples of the trope.
- Fantastic Racism: Well, Racist. It's what she actually is.
- Hand Signals: Her primary means of communication
- Inventor of the Mundane: Her father invented a revolutionary cleaning potion that set his family up for life.
- Lady of Black Magic: What she endeavors to be.
- Proper Lady
- Silent Snarker
- Silk Hiding Steel
- The Speechless
HufflepuffDescription header, basic information, image
2nd Year Students
RavenclawDescription header, basic information, image
RavenclawPhilo is a glum faced youth who likes puzzles and (accidentally) gets into various kinds of adventures. Current play by is Skander Keynes.
- A Boy and His X: Gets 'adopted' by a Magic Carpet. One that specifically can't fly, but it can do other things.
- Also applies to his pet, and expletive croaking frog.
- Always Someone Better: In family, his more scholarly traits aren't as lauded as the outdoorsy traits his family admires, subjects like Creatures or Herbology that Philo is bad with.
- Black Sheep: A reclusive Ravenclaw geek in a family of outdoorsy Hufflepuff types.
- Butt-Monkey: Has odd or horrible things happen to him beyond his control.
- Chubby Chaser: Likes larger women, part of the attraction to Drea (Obderedria). But terribly insecure about it. Best not to mention Drea. Or certain professors. Or an infamous incident in Charms involving a cushioning spell gone awry.
- Expy: His family has similarities to the Weasleys.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Of a sort, builds a magical camera out of a broken pair of omnioculars.
- Middle Child Syndrome
- Picky Eater: Unsure of solely spinach pie when a vegetarian classmate is visiting and it takes hanging out with Drea to get him to like fruit.
- Twice Shy: With Drea. She's horribly shy to begin with and he has no clue how to express romance at his age (and his brother's love motto isn't helping).
Mairead O' Fearghail
GryffindorA Pavee wizard by birth, Mairead is proud of her Muggleborn status and extremely boyish and physical in nature. Sworn enemies with Eirene Antonopolous since the beginning of the year, her closest friends are boys - Keegan Kearney most of all.
- Bratty Half-Pint: To the Professors and older students, anyhow.
- The Bully: Along with Keegan; Tynan participates to a lesser extent.
- Cute Bruiser
- Book Dumb
- One of the Boys: Very much so, to the point where all of the boys think of her as one of them, rather than a girl.
- Puppy Love: With Keegan
- School Is for Losers
- ¡Three Amigos!: With Keegan and Tynan.
- Tom Boy
GryffindorDescription header, basic information, image
GryffindorPureblood and Scottish by birth, Tynan was born to one of the segments of the Macfusty clan - an ancient group of wizards who guard, care for and watch over the Herbridien Black dragons. His own tiny family calls Minuglay Island home. Missing an eye due to a dragon attack when he was young, Tynan is thick-accented, down to earth and very physical.
- Brave Scot: Complete with sliding accent.
- Scars Are Forever: He lost his eye by being smashed in the face with the dragon's tail - crushing his eye and breaking most of his face and skull. Considering the extent of the original injury, just missing an eye was lucky - but the eye is covered by a massive scar.
- Gray Eyes: Well...eye.
- Precocious Crush: On Juliette Valliancourt. He's not alone.
- Book Dumb: He's got a lot of practical skills that come from his lifestyle at home...that don't help him at all at Hogwarts.
- Oblivious to Love: Hasn't bit him in the arse...yet.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Unless she hits first. Or she's Mairead.
- Handicapped Badass / Eyepatch of Power: Has issues with depth perception due to missing an eye - but his muscular build and scarred face make him look much scarier than he might otherwise comes off as.
- Cute Bruiser: Male version - very muscular for his age and used to fighting other strong men...who're considerably older than him. His family helped him out in this respect.
- Dragon Rider: His current goal in life - influenced by his elder brother Cameron, as this was Cameron's dream before he died.
HufflepuffHeliotrope LeJean is the resident part merperson...yes, you heard that right. Basically she looks like a human under the constant effects of Gillyweed with webbed digits, gills at her neck and freaky eyelids. As she was raised in a Scottish Loch in a merfolk clan she hasn't been too prepared for wizarding school (or other things humans take for granted) although she's slowly adapting. Current play by is Brooklynn Proulx.
- Ambiguous Disorder: At a crossroads of human, mermish, and wizard behavior, variable mental acuity and unpredictable nature, many know what not to make of Heliotrope.
- Apparently Human Merfolk: This being Potterverse, Helio looks like she’s constantly under the effects of gillyweed. So she’s human, but with gills on her neck, webbed digits, and translucent eyelids.
- Book Dumb: Helio does batter with hands on learning than strictly academic.
- Does Not Know How to Say "Thanks"
- Does Not Like Shoes: Likes the feel of the ground on her bare feet, plus webbed toes makes flip-flops or socks difficult.
- Emotionless Girl: Sad? Mad? Glad? She’s oblivious.
- Fish out of Water: Figuratively and literally.
- Free-Range Children: Mother can’t meet her at the train station after school is out? No matter, Heliotrope will swim several hundred miles around the UK continent on her way to Loch Lomond!!
- Half-Human Hybrid: Half human, half mermish, as seen by grayish skin and gills. A biological anomaly in the wizarding world thus far, and actually not as integrated in merfolk society as believed.
- Human Mom, Non-Human Dad: A witch and a merman.
- Literal-Minded: self explanatory.
- Loners Are Freaks: Pretty freakish enough being part-mermish, she often wonders off to swim.
- No Social Skills: In regards to wizarding/human social strata.
- Power-Up Food: Ever wonder what happens when a half selkie girl eats gillyweed? Also something of a G-Rated Drug for her species.
- Pressure Point: Fights kelpies this way. Occasionally pushes some when petting animals.
- Raised by Natives: Heliotrope does have a witch for a mother but she adopted the merpeople lifestyle too, while being something akin to an assimilated Wild Child
- Sarcasm-Blind: About hand-in-hand with being literal minded.
- Sense Freak: As many human senses are dulled underwater…let's just say Heliotrope takes advantage of dry stimulations.
- Sleep Mask: Surprisingly NOT for the usual method to show class. She has translucent eyelids so she needs something to block her vision when sleeping the 'landdweller method.'
- What Is This Thing You Call "Love"?: To round out the package of minimal human development.
- Whip It Good: Hand made whip made out of kelp. Used for catching individual fish. Works best when wet.
- Wild Hair: Never washed, only wet from swims, and hosts algae.
HufflepuffShy but sweet, Obderedria or "Drea" as people call her was largely muggle raised by a single mother. She likes all kinds of food and has a very vivid imagination, leading to occasional incorrect or naive understandings of magic. Also, her hair inexplicably grows in a brown with green polka dots pattern. Current play by is Bianca Ryan.
- Big Eater
- Bizarre Taste in Food
- Cloud Cuckoolanders Minder: Drea watches out for when Heliotrope doesn't get things.
- Dandere: Shy but very bubbly underneath.
- Disappeared Dad: Dad was probably a wizard. And altered the memory of her mother. But Obderedria has no qualms for being raised by a single parent.
- The Ditherer
- Improbable Hairstyle / Multicolored Hair: It naturally grows green polkadots since a magical accident.
- Imaginary Friend: Her fictional pen pal Beverly. There's indication that Beverly may be a Not-So-Imaginary Friend
- Meekness Is Weakness
- Miss Imagination: Frequently imagines magic to be much crazier than what it really is. Note many of her letters to Beverly or cartoonish doodling and adventure stories.
- Obsessed with Food: One of her favorite aspects of Hogwarts are the meals, but she genuinely interested in learning to cook them.
- Oral Fixation: Sugar Quills + taking notes in class
- Sanity Slippage: Ever since a criminal's botched Oblivatation after she was victim to a mugging, easily gets more confused.
- Shrinking Violet
- Sweet Tooth: Being friends with the Flumes (of Honeydukes fame) helps stretch the candy budget.
- Twice Shy: With Philo, although her memory problems reset this to Oblivious to Love.
4th Year Students
SlytherinCasey O'Doherty is the scion of a wealthy, pure-ish family of Irish loan sharks. Being incredibly rich, Casey has the best of everything, his own house elf of the manor's three servants and access to the family wand almost as legendary as the Deathstick. Being groomed as the next scion he's under much pressure to work past his many allergies and physical weaknesses to be one of the best spell-casters in the year. However he comes off as a jerk given his family's attitudes and his refusal to let anyone close...There's more to the story as Casey is intersex. In his Big, Screwed-Up Family his grandparents enforced a shift in personality from how Casey's muggle mother raised him as a girl. Casey is between male and female but is rendered male by wearing a special appearance changing amulet. His feminine side is represented in the alias of a Hufflepuff third year Hexmerelda 'Hexy' Claggin, at first a Secret Identity for games of deception and more commonly a avatar of self expression as he comes to terms with a sense of identity.Not that any other character knows this: chalk it up to They're Called Personal Issues for a Reason. Current play by(s) is Will Poulter and Quinn Shephard for Hexy.
- Amulet of Dependency: Literally with Casey's appearance changing amulet. It's by far the easiest method to look completely like a boy, instead of his naturally androgynous features, so before he lost it he rarely removed it. Wearing it for years without taking it off, especially when growing up, may have been contributive to his poor health.
- Beneath the Mask / Becoming the Mask: Played with over the course of Casey's history of 'matching expectations' from his family and eventually how he is known at school, to the point that while Casey can develop other personas he's not sure who he should really be.
- Break the Haughty: Casey is getting bent to the point of snapping pretty soon.
- Crazy-Prepared: Living with a lot of bizarre medical allergies prompts Casey to have many backups, special artifacts and trained knowledge.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Never pity Casey. He discerns both genuine and insulting pity as 'phony' unless he's playing the handicapped card.
- Double Consciousness: Casey/Hexy
- Dual Wielding / Guns Akimbo: Attempting this when Casey gets another wand.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: More like jerkish Slytherin is very protective of muggle mother after previous neglect.
- Fiction500: The O'Dohertys, Irish loan sharks, are one of the five wealthiest families in all of magical Europe. They are said to have more money lying around at home than what is in their sizable Gringotts vault, mainly set up in piles for bowling down the East Wing of the manor.
- Fully-Clothed Nudity: Very uncomfortable being seen in any state of partial undress.
- Gender-Blender Name / Meaningful Name: The gender neutral Casey and 'O'Doherty' which means 'hurtful'
- Glass Cannon: Insanely powerful at casting spells but he has low stamina and resistance to everything.
- Guilty Pleasures: Dancing to club/pop/(w)rock music of all things, inspired by the first time Casey was significantly Lost in Character as Hexy at a teen nightclub. Often retreats to a club themed version of the Room of Requirement to practice spells.
- Go-to Alias: Hexy
- Hates Being Touched
- Important Haircut: On the day the grandparents enforced the shift in identity.
- Literal Split Personality: During the 'Body Swap' event when many characters are swapped with each other, Casey's personality is split along his male and female identities. While both share some memories and a body of knowledge, they don't interact or recall each other until re-assimilated.
- Lonely Rich Kid: The house elf doesn't count, he's a servant.
- Lost in Character: When immersed in the 'Hexy' persona.
- Master Actor: When he isn't being a total jerk, Casey can pull this off surprisingly well (Occlumency also helps) which adds to Hexy being a complete other persona.
- Multilayer Façade: Hexy is in a secret society. That means Casey is disguising himself as Hexy who disguises herself as her cat themed avatar Felinae.
- The Napoleon: Casey's on the shorter side of the male population at school, even after casting a Stretching Jinx on himself one summer. However he's mostly angry because of his other allergies and handicaps instead of height, though it crops up sometimes.
- Plot Allergy: Several normal and magical ones bordering on Weaksauce Weakness and humorous Body Horror (blue skin and strawberry shaped boils at times!).
- Being easily exhausted and having a lower immunity can be considered a Logical Weakness from improper/imbalanced hormones from his intersex condition.
- The Proud Elite: While not incredibly handsome, Casey is very snooty and antisocial from his upbringing, until he forms certain close relationships.
- Raised as the Opposite Gender: An odd case. The first picked for Casey was female (a more accurate pick from apparent phenotype physiology) but his grandparents began raising Casey as a male halfway through childhood.
- Secret Identity Identity: Crops up at times, especially after the Literal Split Personality incident.
- Suppressed Mammaries: In universe, Casey has to find another magical method to do this when his amulet is lost, so he can still pass as a male student.
- Utility Belt: Contains all of his magical possessions. Came out looking more like a skirt.
- Weak, but Skilled: Physically weak but watch out when it comes to certin inventiveness of martial magic from Casey.
- Where Does He Get All Those Wonderful Toys?: Most of his magical devices are said to come from underworld contacts the family has with lengthy delays to avoid detection. In the case of the Hand of Glory an extra was fudged for Casey on the order the family commissioned for another criminal.
- Wig, Dress, Accent: Besides the body changes covered by the amulet, the Hexy disguise is completed with a wig and more casual clothes than what Casey normally wears (voice is more informed, as the RP is text only).
- Working Through the Cold
- Wrong Genetic Sex: Intersex, both male and female, though his natural body without the amulet is more feminine.
RavenclawA mildly eccentric Ravenclaw half-blood with an interest in the stars. He comes from a long line of craftsmen, which might explain his interest in designing magical objects, though not his dabbling in combing magic with Muggle technology. When he was six years old, he disappeared for several days only to turn up with his memories of the previous month completely wiped. This memory charm damaged his mind, leaving him vulnerable to the influence of others. In retaliation, his mind learned to defend itself with a sort of psuedo-Legillimency, which he has yet to understand.
- Actual Pacifist: Defense Against the Dark Arts is his worst class because he can't bring himself to practice hexing or jinxing his classmates.
- Adjusting Your Glasses: Type 3, by the bridge. He does it a lot, particularly when he's nervous.
- Adorkable: It's a Ravenclaw thing.
- Bookworm: Born and raised in a small-town bookstore.
- Cannot Tell a Lie: In the same way that children can't. Plus, since he always knows when other people are lying and doesn't know that they don't know, it seems like a waste of time to him.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: He’s always a little eccentric, but the stops come out in times of stress. Then he does things like build blanket forts around sleeping upperclassmen.
- Cooldown Hug: Delivers one to end an argument. To everyone's surprise, it kinda works.
- Cuddle Bug: Much to the annoyance of certain classmates.
- Ditzy Genius: Of the 'naive' variety, though his common sense can be called into question on occasion.
- Embarrassing Middle Name: Balthazar.
- The Empath
- Family Theme Naming: Balthazar is the traditional Western name for one of the three Biblical Magi. This goes with his father (Orville Caspar), great aunt (Niamh Melchior), and grandfather (Weyland Artaban, after Henry van Dyke's The Other Wiseman) but doesn't make it any less embarrassing.
- Good with Numbers
- Homeschooled Kids: Pre-Hogwarts, by his muggle mother.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: He’s been at Hogwarts for four years and is only now starting to get a social life.
- Intergenerational Friendship: When he was six, with wanted wizarding criminal Darius Gabor.
- In Touch with His Feminine Side: He can be kind of girly with his pacifism, big eyes, mothering personality, and fondness for cuddling. It's emphasized in comparison with Casey.
- Item Crafting: The family trade on his magical side. His relatives make brooms, potions, spellbooks, and artfacts, while Alvis currently dabbles in a little of everything, to the point of forging basic amulets in the common room hearth.
- Mind Probe: Though he doesn’t mean to do it. Usually.
- Odd Friendship: With Casey, for given value of 'friendship.'
- Nice Guy
- Protective Charm: Makes them as school projects and gifts.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: He has them. It leads to a lot of baby animal comparisons. Being played by a young Haley Joel Osment adds to the effect.
- Schizo Tech: His design philosophy of recreating muggle technology with magical solutions can border on this sometimes. When tasked to design a "simple security device" for the Transfiguration midterm, he sketched up the wizarding equivalent of a wireless security camera.
- Shorter Means Smarter: Averted - Alvis is one of the taller boys in his year and is starting to out-grow some of the professors as well.
- Silver Has Mystic Powers: But it's also got a melting point that's hard to hit in the common room, so pewter will have to do.
- Smart People Wear Glasses
- Teen Genius
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Weirdly, he winds up giving and getting this in equal measure. On one hand he needs to be reassured that other people like him. On the other, he's quick to point out the hidden good in people he likes, when given the opportunity.
6th Year Students
P.E. Ligeia Canterbury
RavenclawAn aristocrat with albinisim, Ligeia as she prefers to be called is the youngest in a rather unusual family, what with a half brother more like an uncle and a father old enough to be her grandfather. She's a throwback to many styles, mostly Victorian, with plenty of unusual and macabre interests. Commonly seen about with a magical black parasol and her pet vulture mistakenly called Buzzard. Current play by is Nastya Kumarova.
- Collector of the Strange: Her decor at home includes what could be argued the most benign things from Borgin and Burkes and several preserved body parts in jars. Purely academic!
- Creepy Good
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Embarrassing First Name: The P.E. stands for "Polly Esther." She has a sister named Polka-Dot and a father named Argyle.
- Heroic Albino: Deliberately made to counteract the Evil Albino trope (though still likes creepy things, see above).
- Nightmare Fetishist
- Perky Goth
- Silk Hiding Steel: Here's a hint, don't consider her a pushover (especially if you threaten to quit class).
- Talking to the Dead: Many of her best friends are ghosts (including Moaning Myrtle)
- Woman in White: When in her all white outfits.
SlytherinThe younger sister of former Astronomy Professor Demetrius Woolfolk and favorite child of her father, daughter of his second wife, and not well liked by her disinherited brothers.
- Trope: Description.
Tetra-Wizard Tournament Delegations
Beauxbatons Academy of Magic
Beauxbatons Academy of Magic is a magical school located in Cannes, France. It is known throughout Europe for its high performance standards as well as for emphasizing creative subjects, such as art, dance, wand-lore, rhetoric, and the crafting of magical objects. The majority of its students come from France, but applications are accepted from throughout the French-speaking magical world.Based on the French education system, Beauxbatons is divided into two "schools": the collège, for ages 11-14, and the lycée, for ages 15-18. Dorms are assigned based on age and gender.Tropes shared by characters from Beauxbatons include:
- Boarding School: Of the "Finishing School" variety.
Durmstrang Institute is a private magic school located in an unplottable site somewhere in Northern Europe, most likely coastal Norway or Sweden. Its reputation is both morbid and of the highest caliber. Students of Durmstrang are among the best in the world, and they won't let you forget it.Drumstrang only accepts pure-blood students, who are divided into strata based on their abilities: Oberteils, Zufrieden, and Dregs. Advancement and demotion are based as much on politics as academic performance, and it is a constant struggle to stay on top.Tropes shared by Durmstrang delegation include:
- Academy of Evil: As per canon, the school has a reputation for teaching its students Dark Magic. Whether it's deserved is another story.
- Military School: To a certain extent. It's certainly stricter than the other schools, and a number of the teachers and students have militaristic leanings.
- The Spartan Way
Salem Witches' Institute
A recent addition to the tournament roster, the Salem Witches Institute of Magic is the oldest magic school in the United States. Unlike European magic schools, Salem places a strong emphasis on sport, friendly competition and muggle subjects. It is also quite progressive and accepts all blood puritys, including half-breeds, without judgement.Salem Senior High is divided into five dormitory halls: Merlin, Agrippa, Cliodine, Ptolemy, and Dumbledore. However, dorm assignment is luck-of-the-draw rather than personality-based, making it more like a muggle university than the Hogwarts houses.Tropes shared by the Salem staff & students include:
- Eagleland: Mixed flavor
- Elaborate University High
- Lovable Jock: Their emphasis on sports brought a lot of them along.
- Team Spirit: Compared to the competition, Salem often stands as a united front, using teamwork even in Tasks meant for individual champions.
Junior, Cliodine HallAn enthusiastic female half-giant with a big heart and a taste for adventure. Star of the Salem basketball team and one of three Champions chosen for the First Task. She is also the owner of Nagendra, a horned serpent.
- Admiring the Abomination: Her reaction to the appearance of a twisted, slobbering, Australian abomination in COMC class can be summed in one word: Squee!.
- Androcles' Lion: Part of how she got through the First Task. Lampshaded when she suggested that the spider in question be named Androcles.
- Big, Friendly Dog: Her patronus is a Saint Bernard large enough to swallow a first year. She also owns one in her pet Newfoundland, Antonia.
- Boisterous Bruiser: A rare female example
- Everything Is Big in Texas: Sensing a theme yet?
- Femininity Failure: Is afraid of this – she wants to be cute and feminine sometimes, but doesn’t think her size allows for it.
- Fluffy Tamer: As of the time of writing, her menagerie includes Cretan Bulls, accidentally-engorged scorpions, Acromantula, and giant horned snakes.
- Gentle Half-Giant
- Half-Human Hybrid
- Human Mom, Non-Human Dad
- No Guy Wants an Amazon: She's got a bit of a complex about it.
- One of the Boys
- Passionate Sports Girl: Big time
Other Professional Witches and Wizards
Healer, Potion and Plant Poisoning (3rd Floor)Only noticeable because of his hair being split into black on one side and white on the other, Arcturus is non-confrontational and happy to be where he is. Tends to keep to himself and enjoy a world without changes, although whether his world stays the same remains to be seen. Part of a heavily halfblood family with relations in Greece.
- Berserk Button: Do not ever call him a Dark wizard because of his Patronus or his hair, and never make light of the Second Wizarding War. And never use the word Mudblood within earshot of him.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Book Worm
- Cannot Spit It Out
- Can't Hold His Liquor: He is a lightweight.
- Cowardly Lion: Prefers to keep out of physical conflicts and even will try to wiggle his way out of confrontations, but when forced to Arcturus will fight back, if reluctantly.
- Cuteness Proximity: With cats.
- Deadpan Snarker Arcturus can be this. Most likely picked up from his father.
- Guilty Pleasures: Fizzing Whizzbees. He knows the effects the sweets have, especially as a Healer, but still likes them anyway.
- Literalist Snarking: His particular brand of snarking.
- Locked into Strangeness: His hair is black on the right, white on the left. See Noodle Incident.
- Married to the Job: The reason why he never has had a girlfriend after graduating. His mother lampshades this often. May also be Oblivious to Love.
- Motor Mouth: Alcohol has this effect on him when he's over his threshold.
- Noodle Incident: His hair. He claims it was a "hair dyeing" accident, but considering the damage is permanent, there is no method known to reverse this and he avoids answering if asked to explain, he must have done something more than just that.
- Never Got to Say Goodbye
- Only in It for the Money: Averted, Arcturus works as a Healer to help everyone regardless of blood purity or race.
- Protective Charm: Arcturus is a master of the Shield Charm and its variants.
- Self-Deprecation: A lot. However, his poor expression of it ends up making him look insensitive to others.
- Sweet Tooth: Overly so.
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- The Stoic: Has a permanent look of vague curiosity and does smile from time to time, but he expresses very little emotion even in his tone. Resulted from his experiences during the Second Wizarding War.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Cauldron Cakes.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Averted.
Daily Prophet Staff
JournalistDescription header, basic information, image
Diagon Alley Residents
Professional Quidditch Player19-year-old Seeker for the Montrose Magpies
- Young Future Famous People
- Tomboy: Laney is a rough-and-tumble girl who prefers to hang with the boys.
- Passionate Sports Girl
- Broken Bird
- You're Cute When You're Angry
- Youngerthan They Look
- Lean and Mean: Laney is a card-carrying member of the IBTC, and she likes it that way. What she may lack in bust, she makes up for in legs.
In the wake of the Dark Lord's defeat, the remaining Death Eaters and blood purists were left largely disorganized. The Wizarding Blood Alliance rose to fill that need. Though still highly disorganized and prone to infighting, the WBA has proven dangerous in their quest to bring back the old pro-Wizard ways.Tropes shared by the WBA include:
Hogwarts Governor, Runespoor Smuggler BossDescription
AssassinThe mother of both Georgiana and Tapendra Trishna, Azorma - birth name Atalana - was the eldest daughter of the Egyptian Kanika clan. Disinherited after a short affair with a muggle, she endured decades of humiliation before she finally snapped and became Azorma Hyskos - assassin and murderer. A Metamorph, she hides her true form as often as possible.Currently on her way to get shipped to Azkaban.
- Icy Blue Eyes
- Mama Bear: Don't hurt her kids.
- Ms. Fanservice - Especially in her most commonly used disguise form, the public face of Azorma Hyskos◊
- Too Kinky to Torture
- In Love with Your Carnage: Ignan and Azorma do this to each other.
- Pettanko: In her true form◊
- Blood Knight
- The Baroness: Sexpot Variety.
- Woman Scorned: Oh yes - having this happen to her three times snapped her, and technically, she thinks it happened again.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: With Ignan - not as, ah..cute as other examples.
- Destructo-Nookie: With - who else? - Ignan.
- Fallen Princess: Was thrown from her clan over a youthful transgression.
- Arranged Marriage: Was a perfectly functional, if somewhat dull, one - until she cheated on him.
Criminal DegenerateA transplanted American witch dropout and flying squirrel animagus. Dotty as she prefers to be called has been unscruplous all her life, leading to her expulsion/disapperence from Salem Witches Institute after the accidental death of one of her friends. Her kind of crime-to-survive-substance-abusing-ever-partying-idiotic-behavior is a very distinctive style of crazy. Current play by is Rachel Dashae.
- Animal Motif: Flying squirrel animagus. Behaves very squirrelly.
- Beware the Silly Ones: She can be unpredictably chaotic at her most inebriated to needlessly aggressive when she isn't.
- Chaotic Stupid Evil
- Five-Finger Discount / Sticky Fingers
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl
- Intoxication Ensues: Often the explanation to some of Dotty's more bone headed actions.
- It's All About Me: Only in it for herself.
- Lean and Mean
- Lower-Class Lout: A 'trailer trash' kind.
- Mushroom Samba: Frequently after her favorite hallucinogenic drink.
- My Nayme Is / Insistent Terminology: She will hate hearing you say her nickname incorrectly as 'Dotti' even if her full name suggests that.
- The Slacker: Rare female example.
- The Stoner: Also rare female example
- Stoners Are Funny: Most of her time her various intoxications make her escapades more silly and stupid. Withdrawal, on the other hand, can make her more dangerous.
- Street Smart: Although graduated at the bottom of the class, but luckily for her Dotty is an Invincible Incompetent.
- Stupid Crooks
- The Pig Pen: Anytime she's not caring about her appearance.
- Psycho for Hire: Not that she gets much work as her needling often makes her The Load.
- The Runt at the End: Youngest of a brother and sister. She was horrendous to her older sister.
- Toad Licking: Her favorite drink, Blue Toad, is the liquid version of this. Comes complete with a slick cartoon blue Bufo Toad mascot.
- Trash of the Titans: Her hideouts invariably turn into this with all the junk she pilfers.