We can miss out school
(Won't that be cool?)
Why go to learn the words of fools?
— The Small Faces, "Itchycoo Park"
The common attitude of many a Book Dumb
character is that "cool" people don't go to school. Even if forced, they must make absolutely no effort to do well in class, because that would indicate they care about "useless" things like how to add numbers and spell correctly.
No, you're not going crazy.
The basic idea behind this trope is that there's some place called "the street" that teaches you everything you'll ever really
need to know in life. If you're on this website
, the closest you've ever gotten is the fabled Sesame Street
There's also a small but vocal minority who oppose formalized public education as a Government Conspiracy
to keep the populace dumb and conformist.
Whatever the reason, it's very often a Family-Unfriendly Aesop
, especially when characters are shown to be successful at life despite having dropped out of even the most basic form of education.
of Cool People Rebel Against Authority
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Half the cast of AKIRA fits this trope.
- YuYu Hakusho. Yusuke is too cool for school, especially in the first couple of episodes.
- The standard attitude of the characters in The Beano.
- Creeps in around the edges of the books in the X-Men line. While the original X-Men were sometimes shown studying actual school subjects, in recent years, despite the characters often living in a school, they're almost never shown studying anything other than using their powers, fighting, and, in recent years, "superhuman ethics." The implication being that superhumans don't need to know silly things like history, math, reading, or science. Virtually all of the major characters are adults, so the fact that they're not students is rather less surprising.
- This was long the attitude held by the Runaways, especially after various adults tried to force them to enter foster care and go to school. More recently, they reluctantly agreed to enroll Molly Hayes and Klara Prast in a home-schooling program offered by Avengers Academy, in exchange for a promise of non-interference.
- Approximately 50% of the lyrics of "She's Sexy + 17" by the Stray Cats.
- "Billy S" by Skye Sweetnam.
- "Troublemaker" by Weezer.
Live Action TV
- In Disgaea 3, the Maritsu Evil Academy rewards students who act this way. But then, it is an evil academy...
- The teachers have very practical reasons for this: namely, with no students, they effectively get paid to sit on their ass all day. At one point, you have to beat the teacher into actually showing up for a class you take.
- Harry Potter says this in one of the Potter Puppet Pals skits, where he thinks he's too cool for school. He doesn't normally think this in the actual books, though; while he doesn't always like the class work, he does like Hogwarts in general.