Dragamonz, is an animated mini-series that follows the journey of Dax, a young Dragamon. Dax and his friends have been tasked with a mission to protect a powerful magic crystal. Which is a source of great power from the wicked Dragamon, Grimserver. As well as unite the currently divided Stormclaw, Wildthorn, Firewing, Stonescale, and Slytoxin tribes of Dragamar.
The series is part of a franchise, along with a trading card and collectible toy game.
The entire mini-series can be viewed here.
The show provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Fyra, young leader of the Firewings.
- Grodus, leader of the Wildthorns.
- The Anime of the Game: The show's based on a card game of the same name.
- Artifact of Attraction: The Crystal of Dracacia has the power to draw almost anyone to it. Just looking at it is enough for some to fall under its spell and to try just about anything to obtain it. Though this does not appear to have been its intended purpose.
- Beat the Curse Out of Him: After Boaragon is Brainwashed and Crazy by Grimserver. While at first hesitant, Dax eventually battles him in an attempt to help free him from Grimserver's influence. This method soon proves successful. This is explained in-universe by Dax as being the best method due to all Dragamon's being a Proud Warrior Race.
- The Big Guy: Gorgor
- Bloodless Carnage: There's never a drop of blood during the series, regardless of the injuries the characters suffer.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Boaragon at one point is captured by Wormskull and later returns as a Gimwrath. He is eventually freed from Grimserver's control and rejoins Dax during the final battle against Grimserver.
- Calling Your Attacks: Virtually all Dragamon shout what type of attack they will use just before they strike.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Azakai
- All Slytoxin Dragamon are more than just a little quirky, with a rather strange sense of humor and using rather bizarre attacks.
- Crystal Dragon Jesus: Dracacia, the first Dragamon and the creator of Dragamar.
- Dark Is Not Evil: The Slytoxin's, while specializing in poisonous attacks and deception, are far from evil.
- The Dog Bites Back: Wormskull, after all of Grimsever's mistreatment. Turns on him during the final battle for the crystal.
- The Dragon: Wormskull, to Grimserver.
- Later, Boaragon is Brainwashed into becoming Grimserver's most loyal and competent servant.
- Elemental Powers:
- Fantastic Racism: At the beginning of the series, it is outright stated by Master Perros that all the factions discriminate against each other. While Perros approves of this, Dax does not.
- HeelFace Turn: Boaragon, once he's freed from Grimserver's Mind Control.
- Most of the Grimwraths, upon Grimserver's defeat.
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: Even after he'd been physically transformed into a Grimwrath. Dax was adamant that Boaragon was still his friend deep down. He would eventually be proven correct.
- Insult of Endearment: Dax calling Boaragon a "snort-butt" is this. It's clearly meant as friendly teasing rather than a mean-spirited insult.
- In kind, Boragon will often call Dax "goober brain".
- Interspecies Friendship: Friendships, and even interactions between the different factions of Dragamar had been forbidden before the start of the series. That did not stop Dax (a Stormclaw) and Boaragon (a Wildthorn) from becoming friends.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Some Dragamon like Fyra and Gorgor can be pretty bad tempered, but can also be genuinely nice to those they care for.
- Merchandise-Driven: The series is closely tied into a card game.
- Mineral MacGuffin: The Crystal of Dracacia, a large magical stone holding the powers of the creator deity. The crystal grants any Dragamon who holds it great strength and power. Syrrus sends Dax on a mission to return it to its rightful place. While also keeping it away from Grimserver and his minions.
- Our Dragons Are Different: The Dragamon look almost exactly like the more common depictions of Western-style dragons. Though the Dragamon have a culture that revolves almost exclusively around fighting for sport.
- Pet the Dog: Once Grimserver transformed Boaragon into a loyal Grimwrath. Instead of abusing him like he had with Wormskull, Grimserver seems to hold Boaragon in high regard.
- Scary Skeleton: Grimserver, the Big Bad is a giant sized skeletal dragon creature with glowing eyes and spiky armor. He is the leader of the Grimwrath faction. A race of mutant/undead Dragamons he created in his own image.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: In the ancient past, the Dragamon originally only fought for sport and for fun of it. Until Grimserver came along and wanted to rule over all of Dragamar. After he'd been discovered creating an army. He was set to be punished by Dracacia herself. However, in an act of desperation, Grimserver lunged towards Dracacia's crystal. A source of great power, taking all that power for himself. Grimserver was eventually defeated, but the once-united factions fought over the crystal themselves until it was lost. Once the crystal is rediscovered by Dax, the first Stormclaw Syrrus appoints him the task of returning it to it's rightful place.
- Sixth Ranger: Grodus joins Dax group, acting as a replacement Wildthorn when Boaragon goes missing. Though she stays with the group even after his return.
- The Smurfette Principle: Fyra is the token female of the group, until they are later joined by Grodus.
- Fyra, best demonstrated when she first meets Dax and Boaragon: first, she attacks them for entering Firewing territory before they can explain themselves. Though she warms up to them when Dax risks his life to save the crystal and one of her subordinates.
- Villain Respect: While dismissive of virtually everyone around him, even the loyal Wormskull. Grimserver seemed to genuinely respect Boaragon as a fellow Wildthorn.